New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Possible theory about the Snarl and the World In The Rifts

You know how the Snarl and everything is made of the threads of creation, right?

What if... What if not all of those threads were released when the first world was destroyed? What if some of those threads were incorporated into the Snarl's metaphysical form?

What if the World In The Rifts isn't just where the Snarl is, but the Snarl itself?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Possible theory about the Snarl and the World In The Rifts

Well the Snarl is made of the parts of the world that the gods didn't agree on, so it may be possible for it to become a world itself. However in the Crayons of Time the Snarl is described as "a thing born of chaos" that did not understand the orderly creation of the second world. It might not know how to create the order that is required for a world to exist. Then again, maybe the world in the rifts is what a snarl in the threads of reality looks like to mortals.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    Well the Snarl is made of the parts of the world that the gods didn't agree on, so it may be possible for it to become a world itself. However in the Crayons of Time the Snarl is described as "a thing born of chaos" that did not understand the orderly creation of the second world. It might not know how to create the order that is required for a world to exist. Then again, maybe the world in the rifts is what a snarl in the threads of reality looks like to mortals.
    Not exactly "created" - I mean in the process of tearing the world apart, the threads of the world got all tangled up in the gigantic hairball usually referred to as the Snarl.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Then again, maybe the world in the rifts is what a snarl in the threads of reality looks like to mortals.
    While certainly possible, I don't think it's very likely.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Actually, I think the world within is our world, the failure of the gods to control it began when we began to disbelieve in them as actual beings (and since the planes are raw belief, mass disbelief in a god is lethal), the snarl is our recognition that D&D is just a game (it's described as becoming self-aware), and the consuming tendrils of the snarl is the failure of suspension of disbelief, which eradicates fantasy.
    Last edited by Manty5; 2018-03-06 at 07:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Actually, I think the world within is our world, the failure of the gods to control it began when we began to disbelieve in them as actual beings (and since the planes are raw belief, mass disbelief in a god is lethal), the snarl is our recognition that D&D is just a game (it's described as becoming self-aware), and the consuming tendrils of the snarl is the failure of suspension of disbelief, which eradicated fantasy.
    Nope. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    So no, it STILL isn't Earth in the Rift. It will never be Earth in the Rift. Earth will never show up.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Well, he should know. I should probably note here that I haven't devoted myself to reading Rich's Holy Writ.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Well, he should know. I should probably note here that I haven't devoted myself to reading Rich's Holy Writ.
    Fair. If you do plan to, there's actually a thread for that.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Fair. If you do plan to, there's actually a thread for that.
    Yeah, I’ve wanted to read that for a while, but I have some dignity. I mean the dignity that’s left, I’ve been reading this forum for half a year, so It’s not all that intact.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I had a similar theory a while back. However, Rich has added an element of mystery to the planet within the Rift, suggesting there's a reveal to be made. Revealing the planet is part of the Snarl doesn't sound like the stunning revelation its being set up to be.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

my variant of this theory is that when the snarl "teared down" creation, he simpky swallowed, and now he is protecting it so if someone gets too close.....'snap'

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

What if the threads are actually forum threads?
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    my variant of this theory is that when the snarl "teared down" creation, he simpky swallowed, and now he is protecting it so if someone gets too close.....'snap'
    So, the Snarl (as a being born of chaos) liked the chaos the gods created and protects it?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    What if the threads are actually forum threads?
    Even the Snarl isn't that chaotic.