New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [IC] Obryx - Land of Disaster

Obryx - Land of Disaster

The Forest

You'd stopped for the day. Night was coming, and you were several miles outside Obryx at this point. The six of you pitch camp after scouting the surrounding area. There are no signs of predators nearby, and the weather seems calm. Tents are pitched, a fire is started, and you settle in for the night after a brief meal. As night falls, Esk excuses himself and goes a few yards to find a convenient tree. No more than 10 seconds later, the burly orc screams in agony.

The Briefing

"Alright, crew. We've got a short hop into the wilderness lined up, and we've selected you lot to take it. Nothing fancy. The Tech Management guys have managed to find what looks like what used to be a golem. Not much left, but they seem to think there's a decent amount of mithral to be stripped out of it. A few of you in here know your way around that kind of stuff, and that's why you're here."

Commander Loso gets up from behind her desk, and comes around it to stand in front of you. "We know most of you don't have a lot of experience. That's why Esk here is tagging along. He's been doing this for about twenty years; knows the areas around the city pretty well. He'll keep you in line."

Esk looks a little uncomfortable with the attention of the room directed at him. Standing nearly seven feet tall and absolutely covered in scars, he was one of the more imposing people in the room. After the commander leaves the room, he moves to the front of the room and starts to lay out the specifics of the trip.

The Forest

Some of you rush into the underbrush after him. He couldn't have gone far, not with as little time as had passed. Fairly rapidly, you find where...whatever it was happened. The undergrowth is trampled flat, the soil looks freshly turned, and there is a lot of blood.

The Plan

The plan, as Esk explains it to you, is fairly straightforward. Although the target is within a day's hike of the city, the group would be pushing daylight hours if it chose to make the hike in one day, and doing that would leave them in some of the more dangerous territory near the city; an area into which one of the lesser demi-planes had intruded recently. Instead, the group would do half the trip, set up a halfway camp, and then power in and out of the target area in one day. It would be hard work when they reached the target, but it would prevent them from being in dangerous territory come nightfall.

The Forest

Something was out there. Bushes rustled, branches snapped. You can hear a strange chittering as the whatever-it-is darts around you in the underbrush. Morte and Nasan can see a large, low-slung shape darting from bush to bush, but it's constantly obscured. After a few seconds, it drops out of sight entirely. You start to light the area up; torches flare up and reveal ghastly, flickering shadows. The noises quiet, and there's no sign of the creature. The forest floor all around you is churned and torn up, and the foliage is destroyed.
    Last edited by RFLS; 2018-03-02 at 08:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] Obryx - Land of Disaster

Ansel has an arrow knocked, and an ioun torch orbiting above his head. He is studying the underbrush as carefully as he can, trying to discern a trail. "Well this is lovely. Might I suggest that we not split up in looking for the man? He's likely in no condition to rescue, but we should try to confirm that at least."

The young man's form is lightly obscured by mostly translucent plates

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception (1d20+5)[24]
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Warsmith Blackhands

"This Seems like a good idea, Wouldn't want you fleshlings to get hurt" Blackhands says gruffly while putting their shield in place and hefting their Warhammer into their other hand. After they do so, they looks around and makes sure everybody else has their weapons in hand or close in hand, Handing a Dagger from their bandoleer to them if anybody doesn't.

Blackhands stares at Ansel for a moment. "Of course we confirm it, He's made of tough stuff or he wouldn't be out here"
    Last edited by CrystalMists; 2018-03-03 at 02:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ansel points out some marks in the dirt, "Looks like something with two claws came through here. No sign of Esk leaving under his own power, dragged or carried off, if not swallowed mostly whole. Somebody better than me at tracking want to try their hand?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-03-03 at 12:10 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The Tengu with the group frowns, glancing about as he unsheathes his massive sword. "We need to at least do that, but we should also kill the beast that took him as well." Morte's philosophy was simple, dead beasts rarely harm anyone. He leans down looking for signs of travel from the creature.

Show

(1d20+8)[18] Track

Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't assume you can." Prism cautioned the tengu, her voice clear despite the full helm she wore, and her step light even clad in armor. "If it could take Esk, it could just as easily take any of us. If we get a shot, if it looks possible, lets do it. Otherwise? Play it safe, tell the city what happened. Remember: scouts and scavengers, not a strike force."

She knelt near a pool of blood, examining it, then turned her eyes to the claw marks that Ansel pointed out. A warm light shines from her, illuminating the scene wherever she draws near: the green of the torn foliage becomes vibrant, churned mud shines, and the spatters of blood glisten red across the forest floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prism will make her own tracking check: (1d20+7)[8]
    With her Track the Scene talent she'll attempt to piece together more of what happened here. Is it Esk's blood, or the creature's? How bad a wood does the blood suggest? And where did either of them go?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nasan Sul'Zili
    Nasan flips a small lever on the lantern clipped to her belt, opening the shutter and shining a beam of light into the woods. Darkness is an old friend, but she learned a long time ago that there's value in blinding whatever might be lurking in the dark.

"I'm with Ansel and Blackhands; he's one of us, so we need to find him if he's still alive. Which is becoming less likely with each passing minute, so maybe we follow the blood before it's dry, yeah?"

The flash she'd seen of the creature and the tracks Ansel points out stick in her mind, and a long, jagged blade of faintly smoking shadow appears in her hands, drawn their by instinct. What on earth had taken him?

Show
    Forming my 2-handed mind blade, in slashing form.

And I'll make a Knowledge (Dungeoneering) roll; if this creature falls within that realm of knowledge, I'd like to know what it is. (1d20+6)[9]
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show
    The Sphere Tactician, a Tactician archetype for Spheres of Power.
    The Bullet Witch, a Gunslinger archetype also for Spheres of Power

8. - Top - End - #8

Nasan Sul'Zili
    Nasan's brow furrows in thought.

"Fact check me here, but these tracks look like a vemerak to me. But if it was, there should be a stench, and we'd feel the ground shaking if it was burrowing." She freezes, and raises her sword instinctively. "Unless it already came back up."

She scans the treeline, lantern shining far into the woods as she looks for any sign of movement, or for the telltale glint of eyes in the darkness.

Show
    Or unless there's a cave beneath our feet that it burrowed into, but I can only jump to one conclusion per post and I went with the immediately actionable one.

Anyway, perception check: (1d20+2)[3]
    Last edited by Oberon Kenobi; 2018-03-04 at 09:20 PM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ansel keeps shifting his gaze from point to point, "It could also be in a cave below, or remaining still and waiting just below the surface, we need to be cautious. Does anyone have a means of helping discern more? If not, as unfortunate as it is, I do not see a way for us to do more here."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

As you peer into the darkness and discuss your options, the earth shifts in front of you a little. Before you can react, an arm bursts from the ground, covered in blood and scars. It starts scrabbling in the dirt around it, pulling itself up to the surface. You can hear muted screaming behind it, and then Esk's head breaks the surface.

"Ankhegs! Ankhegs! Run! They're co-

His head dips beneath the surface again, as though something has grabbed him.

11. - Top - End - #11

Nasan Sul'Zili
    Nasan dives for Esk's hand, trying to pull him back to the surface.

"C'mon, you heavy bastard, climb!"

Show
    Grapple check to grab him: (1d20+2)[21]
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Right, let's not get dragged under."

Ansel focuses, and wisps of pale matter begin to flow together to form a somewhat humanoid being, with indistinct features. the construct moves to stand by where Nasan is trying to free Esk, prepared to help, or strike at the foe, whichever comes up.

Show
    Round 1: Astral construct power. Ansel counts as ML 3 for that power, adds 1 to the duration, and can Extend that particular power for free. So a level two construct with a PP cost of 3, and a duration of 8 rounds.
    Round 2: (unless events require other actions) Vigor Power: 2 PP for 10 temp hp, shared with construct.

Using staff's power to grant construct 2 AC at expense of own protection

Initiative, cause it looks like we'll need it soon: (1d20+7)[18]

N Medium construct
    Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, Perception
    AC 20, touch 12, flat-footed 18
    HP 31 (+10 temp hp) Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +0; Immune construct traits
    Speed 40 ft. Melee slam +5 melee (1d6+4) Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    STATISTICS Str 17, Dex 15, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 10 BAB +2, CMB +5; CMD 17

Three abilities from Menu A: Cleave (make extra attack on adjacent if first hits), Resistance (Ex) (5 Acid Resistance), Trip (free nonprovoking trips on hit)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Nasan grabs Esk's forearm as it begins to dip beneath the surface, and pulls with all of his might. For a second it feels as though Esk will continue to sink, but with one almighty tug, he's dragged halfway out of the dirt. His other arm is missing, and he's still screaming a mix of warning and pain. As he surfaces, you catch a glimpse of an insectile set of eyes and mandibles right behind him. Simultaneously, you hear something else crashing through the underbrush right towards you.

Spoiler: Split block initiative
    Show

Ordinarily, this would work as "party members that roll higher than monsters" followed by "monsters" followed by "the rest of the party."

All of you rolled higher than the monsters, so everyone write out their turn, in any order you'd like.

Spoiler: The Situation
    Show

Morte and Nasan are next to Esk and the ankheg trying to pull him under. The rest of the group is about 20 feet behind, and a second creature is charging at you; it's about 30 feet out.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ansel is about to direct his newly formed construct to attack the thing holding Esk when the other makes its appearance. Deciding a delaying action was in order, the psion instead sends his construct to attempt to hinder the charging ankheg.

If the delaying attempt appears to be working, he will call out, "I've got this one occupied for a few moments, focus on the one on Esk!"

Show
    Charge Attack: (1d20+7)[27] (1d6+4)[7]
    If the attack hits, free nonprovoking trip attempt vs Ankheg (1d20+5)[8]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Most people would be a little shocked at the loss of the arm on another person. But for Morte, it wasn't so bad. A new one could be made, as he had done himself as well. Though, that did need the person to stay alive long enough to get the arm. He unslung his sword bringing it down with all his might on the creature.

Show

Free Action: Berserking +5 temp HP -2 AC
    Special Attack Action - Brutal Strike

(1d20+7)[8]
    (2d6+4)[15]

If the enemy is hit they become Battered until the end of my next turn. If they are still alive and attack me, I'll use Bloody counter on them.

Battered (condition)
    Heavy blows have left a creature with this condition vulnerable to further attacks, imposing a -2 penalty to the creature’s CMD and preventing them from taking attacks of opportunity provoked by a creature performing a combat maneuver. Some talents have different effects or activation times against battered creatures. The battered condition can be removed by taking the total defense action, or through the restore ability of the Life sphere (see Spheres of Power), the lesser restoration spell, or similar effects. When inflicting the battered condition on a target that is already battered, the rounds stack when determining duration

16. - Top - End - #16

Nasan Sul'Zili
    "On it!" Releasing Esk's arm, Nasan calls her shadowy blade back to her hand. Raising it high, she thrusts it down, plunging it into the ankheg's side with a bloodthirsty cry.

Show
    Releasing the grapple as a free action, and drawing my two-handed mind blade also as a free action.

Then, I'll attack the ankheg next to me, taking a -2 penalty to attempt to Impale it.

Attack roll: (1d20+2)[12]
    Damage roll: (2d6)[6]

If it hits, I'll keep it impaled for the time being.
    Last edited by Oberon Kenobi; 2018-03-05 at 12:39 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Ansel's construct rushes forward to intercept the oncoming ankheg, and drops a brutal blow across its head, cracking the chitin and halting its charge.

Meanwhile, Morte brings his blade crashing down at the one holding Esk, missing it by inches. Unfortunately for it, it dodges right into Nasan's oncoming attack.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Prism lunged forward, covering the distance to Esk and the ankheg menacing him in an instant. Her sword slid into her hand and into a vicious upward slash in the same motion, and the light around the blade distorted, rippling around it and slinging along its length with a thrum felt in the chest. Her charge and heavy assault was risky, threatening massive damage but leaving her open to counter attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Prism Berserks, granting her 6 temporary hp but reducing her AC by 2.
    Swift Action: Prism uses Improved Energy Blade and spends a spell point to charge her weapon with a 3d6 damage Stone Blast.
    Full-Round Action: Prism charges the ankheg next to Esk, draws her greatsword, and uses Power Attack for a -1 attack and +2 damage. This reduces her AC by a further 1.

Attack: (1d20+8)[21]
    Weapon Damage: (2d6+8)[17]
    Stone Blast Damage: (3d6)[10]

AC: 13
    HP: 20/20 (6 temp)
    SP: 3/4

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Prism's gambit pays off - her enhanced blade combined with her natural fury brings an abrupt end to the ankheg's life. Its entire head caves in under the force of the blow, with ichor spraying everywhere.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Halted by the sudden arrival and assault by the construct, the ankheg reacts the only way it knows how in such a situation - it latches onto the construct's outstretched limb and yanks backwards.

Spoiler: @Daishain
    Show

15 physical damage and 4 acid to the construct. It's now grappled.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ansel grins and pulls an arrow back as the construct reaches up with its other limb to bash at the insect once more.

Show
    bow attack (1d20+6)[25] (1d8)[3]
    construct attack (at -2 to hit due to grapple)(1d20+3)[7] (1d6+4)[7]
    free trip attempt if hit(1d20+5)[14]

22. - Top - End - #22

RedKnightGirl

Warsmith Blackhands

Warsmith takes a slow moment to access the situation and decide where help is needed. They decide that making sure Esk Survives is top priority and extends their senses towards him allowing healing magic to flow along. As they cast their magic, Runic markings glow purple all along their body and a weird sounding, to fast to understand litany of words emit from their mouth.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Healing (1 spell Point) - (Range Close): (2d8+6)[17] @ Esk
    Painful Magic: Fort Save DC 11 - Fort Save: (1d20+6)[8] - Failure = Sickened Status.
    Chance of Wild Magic: (1d100)[49] - 1-10 = Rod of Wonder Table: (1d100)[55]

Sickened Status obtained: The character takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.
    Last edited by CrystalMists; 2018-03-07 at 02:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Unseen behind her helm, Prism grinned at her success. The situation wasn't good, but being able to take out her frustration and anxiety on something that deserved it was cathartic. She turned her greatsword in the opposite direction with a flick of her wrist, flinging the ankheg's ichor along and off the blade before charging back towards the remaining monster. Again, ripples surged along her sword as she swung in a powerful strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Prism Berserks, granting her 6 temporary hp but reducing her AC by 2.
    Swift Action: Prism uses Improved Energy Blade to charge her weapon with a 2d6 damage Stone Blast.
    Full-Round Action: Prism charges the ankheg next to Esk, draws her greatsword, and uses Power Attack for a -1 attack and +2 damage. This reduces her AC by a further 1.

Attack: (1d20+8)[13]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[19]
    Stone Blast Damage: (2d6)[10]

AC: 13
    HP: 20/20 (6 temp)
    SP: 3/4
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2018-03-07 at 03:10 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Not able to kill that first bug thing, Morte moves to attack the next one as attacks bounce off its hardened hide. His sword spins around too quickly for the size.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Brawler Strike
    (1d20+5)[8]
    (2d6+4)[12]

And second strike
    (1d20+5)[17]
    (2d6+4)[12]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Less than thirty seconds after Esk managed to claw through the dirt to fresh air, Morte's blade spins improbably fast and the second ankheg's head falls to the ground.

Esk is still alive, and the bleeding has halted, thanks to Blackhands' healing magic. Between the terror of being dragged underground and the trauma from the loss of his arm, he slumps forward, feet still in the ground, unconscious. Silence falls in the forest once more; the adrenaline pumping through (some of) your veins slowly subsides.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ansel keeps looking for another target for a few moments, not finding one, he'll look to the others. "He's still alive? Good. Might I suggest we get him back to the campsite swiftly? I'd rather not wait around here for something else to show up."

Not really being suited for hauling around comatose half orcs, Ansel will simply stay on guard on the way back.

27. - Top - End - #27

RedKnightGirl

Blackhands stows her weapon and shield and lifts up Esk carefully like he's a featherweight.

"Lead the way back, I'd rather keep my attention on not jostling him to much, don't need that....shoulder...bleeding again"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ansel looks about, "Aside from Esk, did we actually get through that without a scratch? I think I might have lost my life savings on that bet. The construct will only last a few more seconds, I'll have to make another if there's something else on the way."

29. - Top - End - #29

Nasan Sul'Zili
    "Isn't betting your life savings that you die kind of a lose-lose?" Nasan withdraws her blade from the ankheg's thorax, allowing the body to slump to the ground next to its severed head. As she releases her hold on the blade, it evaporates in a swirl of shadows, ichor and acid splattering on the ground and dissolving a few fallen leaves with a hiss.

Looking down at their fallen foes, she adds "Scouts and scavengers, right? While Blackhands is tending to Esk, do these things have anything worth salvaging?"

The acid and exoskeleton seemed promising, but if there was anything more directly valuable, it'd probably be in the tunnels or back in their nest. Kneeling down next to the hole the ankheg had emerged from, she pokes her head down into the tunnel, taking a careful look in both directions.

Show
    Perception check: (1d20+4)[13]
    Last edited by Oberon Kenobi; 2018-03-08 at 04:39 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ansel shakes his head, "No I meant I'd probably have bet that we'd have taken more injuries than this at the least. That is if I were the type to... Never mind, its not important, lets just go."