New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment Thread IV: Live Free or Hit Die Hard

A decent chassis-for a monster with 7 or 8 RHD. One doozy of a trick-that most level appropriate enemies will be prepared for. Incorporeal by default causes at least as many problems as it solves, and 4 levels before Epic provides virtually no wiggle room. Hard to argue anything past -0.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'd go with -0, unless it's being rated at t4 (its chassis would allow it to maintain +0 at t4). Although daze without much of an action cost is great, I think the fact that it calls out phantasmal killer means that spell's descriptors are carried over, and therefore immunity to mind-affecting effects does counter Phantasmal Facade. Even if it didn't, the one trick is not good enough at ECL 16, even with all the skill points on an incorporeal creature.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    So, you're getting something which denies your enemies a round, the level before people get access to literal time stop? Mehhhh. If you weren't spending 16 levels on what's only a relatively neat trick then I might possibly look at a rating that isn't -0, but really. What are you doing apart from a single-round daze or a hard-to-pull-off save or die, which are two-a-penny by level 16? Really now.
    It's at-will, even passive. It's a free surprise round every fight, very nearly no exceptions, and a save-or-die on every attack made until a Will save is passed. A Will save that's around a 50/50 chance for strong save level-appropriate monsters. Planetars, for example, have to roll a 12 or higher to pass the Will save to Disbelieve, before which every touch that occurs is a 60% chance of death. This is not a regular save-or-die, this is a save for protection from a save-or-die that happens every single successful touch.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I don't think you can argue for -0. It's a monster that contributes to pretty much every fight it's in. It doesn't contribute in a particularly conventional way, but it's very much playable. There aren't many classes it can take that build on what it has, so higher than +0 seems unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Yeah, I don't think you can argue for -0. It's a monster that contributes to pretty much every fight it's in. It doesn't contribute in a particularly conventional way, but it's very much playable. There aren't many classes it can take that build on what it has, so higher than +0 seems unfair.
    Swordsage 1 gives you 2d6 Sneak Attack, as you're IL 9 and thus eligible for up to level 4 Maneuvers. Another 2d6 Fire per hit some rounds because you can get Searing Blade with the six starting Maneuvers of Swordsage 1. Being Incorporeal means you're able to trigger Sneak Attack much more frequently than normal.

Totemist can get more attacks to use with very few levels to work through saves more quickly as an avenue of expanding what the Phantasmal Slayer actually has. I think, not sure how the stuff stacks.

6. - Top - End - #156

The monster's single worthwhile contribution is explicitly a mind-affecting, Fear effect that is also a Phantasm. That means all Undead, Constructs, Deathless, Oozes, Plants, Abominations, and most types of Vermin are immune; as are anything that can wrangle immunity to Fear, MIE in general, or even just Phantasms, like Duergar. While not everyone is running around with Mind Blank or similar effects at ECL 16, they are hardly uncommon.

Also keep in mind you only get the Daze effect on a successful save: if they fail, they become especially vulnerable to the creature's touch but are otherwise unaffected-meaning the only actual effect of a failure is enhancing the awful natural touch attacks, solely for the creature, up to something usable. It hardly 'guarantees' a surprise round, even against entirely vulnerable enemies. Against enemies that are not affected, the creature has precious little to contribute; leaving you with 3/day Ray of Exhaustion, 1/day Waves of Fatigue, and 1/day Feeblemind. On 16 RHD. To get something past the Facade effect on the touch attacks requires a significant investment in precision damage, and even then being a grand total of 2 natural attacks leaves precious little to work with; you can grab Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike, but that only brings you up to 5 attacks. By ECL 16, any acceptable TWF/MWF build should be landing much harder hits or just a lot more attacks period.

On the plus side, natural Telepathy saves you a one level dip into Mind Bender, so there.

I am going to firmly stick with -0 LA.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-03-29 at 11:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

It's hard to find something with 16 HD that's worth it, and the few things that are only got there through racial spellcasting. I agree with most of the people in the thread. -0 for sure. One trick pony is a derogatory term for a reason.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

The Sorcerer got Mind Blank this level and the Wizard already had it for a level at this point. Psions get Personal Mind Blank as early as ECL 13.

Not everyone has it up at this level, but many people will.

Asking the usual question: are they CR-appropriate monsters?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #159

WolfInSheepsClothing

-0 for the reasons above. Too many ways to easily counter the single useful ability it has.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2018-03-30 at 11:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

People pointing out when PCs can negate the phantasmal slayer's abilities are missing the point. The important question is when monsters can do so, and more importantly, how many do. Obviously, if the DM is creating NPC enemies to negate the PCs' strengths, the phantasmal slayer is more vulnerable to those shenanigans than most. But otherwise...it's a good support ability. The Slayer's big problems are that it doesn't have anything interesting to do after that first round and that it has basically no way to improve itself with class levels.
    I guess playing a daze-or-die effect attached to a beefy, incorporeal low-level character could end up as a reasonable approximation of balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    The important question is when monsters can do so, and more importantly, how many do.
    All undead, constructs, plants, vermin and oozes, starting at level 1. A smattering of other creatures which can be as low as level 1 (e.g. goblin cleric with Dream domain) but are mostly higher level. But yeah, you'll just join the rogue on the sidelines in a lot of encounters.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

As 'is the slayer sidelined often' seems to be a significant factor in determining its LA, here's some numbers.

I randomly picked five monsters for each CR from 16 to 20 and checked whether or not they possessed some kind of immunity against fear or mind-affecting effects.

Spoiler: Data
    Show
    CR 16:
    -Battletitan dinosaur (not immune)
    -Horned Devil (not immune)
    -Jahi (undead, and therefore immune)
    -Planetar (17th-level cleric casting lets it prepare stuff like Heroes Feast)
    -Zodar (construct, and therefore immune)

CR 17:
    -Banshee (undead, and therefore immune)
    -Deathbringer (undead, and therefore immune)
    -Frost Giant Jarl (not immune)
    -Rilmani Aurumach (3/day mind blank as a SLA, so immune)
    -Wastrilith demon (not immune)

CR 18:
    -Blackstone Gigant (construct, and therefore immune)
    -Demonflesh Golem (construct, and therefore immune)
    -Ocean Strider (not immune)
    -Xerfilstyx Devil (not immune)
    -Yuan-Ti Anathema (not immune)

CR 19:
    -Century Worm (mindless, and therefore immune)
    -Corpse Gatherer (undead, and therefore immune)
    -Flesh Jelly (mindless, and therefore immune)
    -Ocean Giant (not immune)
    -Varakhut Inevitable (construct, and therefore immune)

CR 20:
    -Crawling Head (Undead, and therefore immune)
    -Deathraven Swarm (swarm without a hive mind, and therefore immune)
    -Eldritch Giant Confessor (capable of casting cleric spells that give immunity, but unlikely to do so)
    -Gray Linnorm (17th-level cleric casting, so likely to be immune)
    -Tarrasque (not immune, but incapable of actually dying from the attack)

Out of these 25 monsters, 12 were outright immune because of types or subtypes, 4 could gain persistent immunity incredibly easily, and 1 could theoretically gain 24/7 immunity but would have to give up a large chunk of power for it. The effects of items or caster support weren't considered here, but each of those would have boosted the number up.

In light of this, I will adjust the LA to -0.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2018-03-31 at 09:27 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

I think the problem is, when you have one trick, which can be countered incidentally and fairly trivially with a bit of prep, it's probably not worth 16 RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I think the problem is, when you have one trick, which can be countered incidentally and fairly trivially with a bit of prep, it's probably not worth 16 RHD.
    Yeah I think this is where I'm going to stand too.

It is a good trick. But you really do need more than one trick at level 16.

LA -0 for me.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

I assume Mind-Affecting abilities in general are very dangerous without a way to counter them? That'd explain why there are so many ways to get immunities...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I assume Mind-Affecting abilities in general are very dangerous without a way to counter them? That'd explain why there are so many ways to get immunities...
    Yeah, I think that's about right. A successful dominate monster is way stronger than a successful finger of death, and both of those are strong enough that many "boss-type" encounters are immune or resistant, plus hordes of regular mobs, just to prevent one trick from wiping the board each time. Of course, the game's a bit heavy-handed about immunizing monsters, so we tend to rate down these instant-win-if-they-weren't-immune abilities, but the alternative (of widespread easy-access SoD) is unpleasant, too.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    Yeah, I think that's about right. A successful dominate monster is way stronger than a successful finger of death, and both of those are strong enough that many "boss-type" encounters are immune or resistant, plus hordes of regular mobs, just to prevent one trick from wiping the board each time. Of course, the game's a bit heavy-handed about immunizing monsters, so we tend to rate down these instant-win-if-they-weren't-immune abilities, but the alternative (of widespread easy-access SoD) is unpleasant, too.
    It's sloppy game design really. If an ability is so powerful that you feel the need to make half the enemies flat out immune to it, then maybe you just shouldn't have that option in the first place.

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    It's sloppy game design really. If an ability is so powerful that you feel the need to make half the enemies flat out immune to it, then maybe you just shouldn't have that option in the first place.
    Ah, but <important character> in <book or movie that Gygax and Arnerson liked> could <do this thing>, so we have to support <doing this thing> in the game!
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2018-04-02 at 08:22 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Ah, but <important character> in <book or movie that Gygax and Arnerson liked> could <do this thing>, so we have to support <doing this thing> in the game!
    Mind control is a thing in many stories as are things that can be described as mindless. I for one appreciate that they thought out trying to hypnotize a robot or download malware into a zombie.

Not to mention that variety is the spice of roleplaying. Sometimes something that can be killed easily is better conquered through coercion. GMs shouldn't let everything look like a nail. Sometimes they should get screwy.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm pretty sure it's less a matter of "this ability is powerful, so lots of things need to be immune", and more a matter of "we want X, Y, and Z to be supported, and they fall into this general category, and we also want J, K, and L, to be supported - it just so happens that J, K, and L usually have a mix of immunities to things of the same general categories as X, Y, and Z".
    Animated Plants are unlikely to be particularly affected by something designed to directly affect a "typical" mind. Likewise, unintelligent undead are probably not even going to notice something designed to instill fear upon subjects/targets. Constructs aren't usually going to notice or care either.

Plus, I mean, [Fear] and [Mind-affecting] are both things that basically every player will invest resources into getting either resistance (early) or outright immunity(later) to. As would pretty much any intelligent creature aware of the threat such abilities pose that has the resources and opportunity to do so.
    Last edited by javcs; 2018-04-02 at 09:08 PM.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's less a matter of "this ability is powerful, so lots of things need to be immune", and more a matter of "we want X, Y, and Z to be supported, and they fall into this general category, and we also want J, K, and L, to be supported - it just so happens that J, K, and L usually have a mix of immunities to things of the same general categories as X, Y, and Z".
    Animated Plants are unlikely to be particularly affected by something designed to directly affect a "typical" mind. Likewise, unintelligent undead are probably not even going to notice something designed to instill fear upon subjects/targets. Constructs aren't usually going to notice or care either.
    Okay, that's still sloppy game design, though. The guy who focuses on enchantment spells will either solo the encounter effortlessly or sit on the side counting the ceiling tiles. Either one is terrible. If you want mind control in your game, then find some way to have it always be a viable option without ever overshadowing other possible options.

Plus, I mean, [Fear] and [Mind-affecting] are both things that basically every player will invest resources into getting either resistance (early) or outright immunity(later) to. As would pretty much any intelligent creature aware of the threat such abilities pose that has the resources and opportunity to do so.
    That does nothing to help your case.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, that's still sloppy game design, though. The guy who focuses on enchantment spells will either solo the encounter effortlessly or sit on the side counting the ceiling tiles. Either one is terrible. If you want mind control in your game, then find some way to have it always be a viable option without ever overshadowing other possible options.

Someone focusing on the enchantment school has many options available through buffing allies when enemies are immune to enchantment. It is the person that has limited themself to the singular subschool of mind affecting that runs into problems with immunity. This is the same case with nearly any kind of specialist. An evoker has many outlets to use however someone that has pursued fire to the exclusion of all other categories will feel weakened as they begin to face enemies that happen to be immune to fire. Like fire elementals and devils.
    The same thing is felt at lower levels for a swordsman without a magic weapon fighting against a ghost. It is imbalanced only when fighting something that happens to be immune to your focused abilities, and then only to you.
    Tldr: Specialization is good, however specialization to the exclusion of all else is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Someone focusing on the enchantment school has many options available through buffing allies when enemies are immune to enchantment. It is the person that has limited themself to the singular subschool of mind affecting that runs into problems with immunity.
    I mostly agree with your larger point about overspecializing, but I will point out that there are all of three Sor/Wiz Enchantment spells in the SRD that are buffs rather than ways to do bad things to enemies who aren’t immune to [Mind-Affecting]. You know, for what that’s worth.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

24. - Top - End - #174

I'm not saying it's necessarily good design. D&D was, more or less, intended to encompass a vast spread of possibilities, concepts, themes, and worlds. A fair number of them don't mesh well. And for a significant quantity, the implementation could have been better.

Also, to be fair, if enchantment spells are your focus, well, (1) you should never be entirely dependent on one trick, and (2) as a mid-high level enchanter, you should have mind-controlled minions to beat up those immune to your mind control. Admittedly, the latter has its own problems.

I'm not arguing it's good thing. I'm pointing out in a world that works the way the rules describe, getting protection from being mind controlled is going to be a major priority for pretty much anyone/anything who is aware that mind control exists and has the resources to employ countermeasures. For that matter, at higher levels, the protection from mind control that you get from using Mind Blank is in some ways incidental to the protection from being scried on or other divinations.
    In a world with mind control, protection from mind control is important.
    I'd also point out that it's all or nothing as an encounter, and at CR 15, most or all PCs will have already invested resources towards those immunities.
    It's a poorly designed monster, and makes for a terrible PC.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Someone focusing on the enchantment school has many options available through buffing allies when enemies are immune to enchantment. It is the person that has limited themself to the singular subschool of mind affecting that runs into problems with immunity. This is the same case with nearly any kind of specialist. An evoker has many outlets to use however someone that has pursued fire to the exclusion of all other categories will feel weakened as they begin to face enemies that happen to be immune to fire. Like fire elementals and devils.
    The same thing is felt at lower levels for a swordsman without a magic weapon fighting against a ghost. It is imbalanced only when fighting something that happens to be immune to your focused abilities, and then only to you.
    Tldr: Specialization is good, however specialization to the exclusion of all else is bad.
    I'm not sure how you can possibly defend this. It doesn't matter one bit if there are backup options. I want to play an enchanter. This, I built an enchanter. It is my goal to spend the game doing enchanter things. And then I spend half the game casting evocation spells. How do you not see the problem here? It's exactly the same as a rogue who gets thrown into an undead campaign. Every character should be able to meaningfully contribute to every combat. I have no clue how you can disagree with that.

Enemies with immunities should be occasional gimmicks to catch the party off guard, not the majority of enemies they fight.

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    I'm not saying it's necessarily good design. D&D was, more or less, intended to encompass a vast spread of possibilities, concepts, themes, and worlds. A fair number of them don't mesh well. And for a significant quantity, the implementation could have been better.
    If you admit that it's poor design, why do you keep defending it?

Also, to be fair, if enchantment spells are your focus, well, (1) you should never be entirely dependent on one trick, and (2) as a mid-high level enchanter, you should have mind-controlled minions to beat up those immune to your mind control. Admittedly, the latter has its own problems.
    I'm not advocating one trick ponies, I'm advocating that a player's primary character design shouldn't get sidelined in half their battles. An entire school of magic shouldn't be one trick, anyways.

I'm not arguing it's good thing. I'm pointing out in a world that works the way the rules describe, getting protection from being mind controlled is going to be a major priority for pretty much anyone/anything who is aware that mind control exists and has the resources to employ countermeasures. For that matter, at higher levels, the protection from mind control that you get from using Mind Blank is in some ways incidental to the protection from being scried on or other divinations.
    In a world with mind control, protection from mind control is important.
    I'd also point out that it's all or nothing as an encounter, and at CR 15, most or all PCs will have already invested resources towards those immunities.
    It's a poorly designed monster, and makes for a terrible PC.
    A game where you feel that getting immunities is necessary is poorly designed. Immunities should be nice bonuses, never a requirement. That's one of the main contributors to the Christmas tree effect.

26. - Top - End - #176

Goblin

Enemies with immunities should be occasional gimmicks to catch the party off guard, not the majority of enemies they fight.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, though I feel like it's really hard to surprise players anymore unless you straight-up homebrew all your monsters and NPCs.

If you admit that it's poor design, why do you keep defending it?
    I don't think he's so much defending it, as calling for moderation in your criticism.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, though I feel like it's really hard to surprise players anymore unless you straight-up homebrew all your monsters and NPCs.

I don't think he's so much defending it, as calling for moderation in your criticism.
    That's because there's no new blood in the player pool and has nothing to do with the game, itself.

Oh, I'm sorry. Let me try that again:
    The complete failure of 3.5 to balance anything is mildly irritating.

28. - Top - End - #178

The complete failure of 3.5 to balance anything is mildly irritating.
    There's a balanced game hiding in 3.5, that you can get to if you cut out the ridiculous broken stuff. But some of the stuff is ridiculous and broken in a fun, I-can't-believe-I-can-do-that way. "Save or lose" gameplay (and the immunity arms race that goes with it) is not even fun-broken. It's boring-broken.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a balanced game hiding in 3.5, that you can get to if you cut out the ridiculous broken stuff. But some of the stuff is ridiculous and broken in a fun, I-can't-believe-I-can-do-that way. "Save or lose" gameplay (and the immunity arms race that goes with it) is not even fun-broken. It's boring-broken.
    I know just what you mean. Building characters in 3.5 is like a fun brain teaser. I've got two entire notebooks filled with character builds of all shapes and sizes because that's one of the things I like most about this game. I just wish I could actually use them in game, but they're all either too broken, too overcomplicated, or both, that no one in their right mind would ever allow them.

You can certainly play a decently balanced game of 3.5, but you have to ignore half of the content and houserule the rest to pull it off. I like this game, but I fully acknowledge that there are some serious problems with it.

30. - Top - End - #180

Now I'm confused.

I distinctly remember this thread being about LA-Assignment
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius