New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Promised Neverland: Promises kept and broken (to be edited)

So, since it creeps up often enough in the general discussion, and opposed to AoT or OPM it updates weekly, i.e. there should be enough traffic (and since I'm caught up now) I thought we might as well give it a thread.

Since it is kind of hard to make a guess what would be a good introduction without spoiling anything, I'll not post a resume and instead jump right into the recent chapter...

Spoiler: Insolent fools! (close enough)[/spoiler
    Show

The children start their counter attack and at least on the dumbest of the demons it works. Of course like good evil people, they indulge their victim in their plan before killing them I guess it's their kind of revenge but obviously it's for us but it's fine.
    But I guess in the short time I also got to hate that guy enough to want him to suffer a bit before he dies.
    Surely, the same won't work on the demons that actually have a brain. Let's hope they have more prepared for them (I guess they do)

While I know people really like this story (and I don't dislike it either) there's still two bits I've got to wonder about recently... (yeah, I'm a spoil sport. Or rather sometimes I like to pick things apart)
    Spoiler
    Show

1) Uh... so... how is ??? still "that guy". I mean, yeah, he doesn't want to tell the kids his name but Lucas not saying it just makes him totally suspicious. Unless it's intentional but Emma seems nonplussed. You don't effing ask "is that man still alive" you ask "is John still alive? You know, probably thirty or so, kind of grumpy, likes to threaten to kill kids?"
    2) So... pretty much everyone is from Byron's farm... assuming that one is kind of like Grace Field... why do the new kids seem so suspicious towards people they likely knew from earlier in their life? I guess if they can afford giving away 30 or so kids per month, it must be larger but I still feel like pretty often they need to be "oh, Sam, so that's where you've been!" yet nothing like that seems to happen. (From what little we know about Goldy Pond so far)

edit: I'm open for different title suggestions
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-03-05 at 01:34 PM.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Promised Neverland: Promises kept and broken (to be edited)

I almost missed this thread (I did in fact miss this thread).
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah I've got a feeling they're only letting this guy talk because they know he's literally worthless without servants.

Most of the kids are from Byron's farm, yeah, but not all of them are (and given Byron's farm has high quality goods, I don't imagine many of them survive long).

As for That Guy's name...this is probably the biggest silliest gag in the series and I actually like it. It feels like there's an in joke with Lucas and his old group that he's perpetuating here and I kinda love it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It's so nice to have someone who is so positive about everything

We'll see how things develop and if we ever learn his name.

On another note, I wonder if that flower ritual will ever be really relevant to the plot or just a curious feature..
    "What's done is done."

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    It's so nice to have someone who is so positive about everything

We'll see how things develop and if we ever learn his name.

On another note, I wonder if that flower ritual will ever be really relevant to the plot or just a curious feature..
    I feel like it'll be more important. Maybe it isn't, mechanically, any different from any of the weird rituals we do to animals, but I mean it's a plant that sucks out the blood, leaving a beautiful corpse. If this doesn't immediately make you think "assassination weapon" then congrats, you're slightly better adjusted than I am.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I feel like it'll be more important. Maybe it isn't, mechanically, any different from any of the weird rituals we do to animals, but I mean it's a plant that sucks out the blood, leaving a beautiful corpse. If this doesn't immediately make you think "assassination weapon" then congrats, you're slightly better adjusted than I am.
    Hm.. I'm not sure if this could work on a living being to actually kill them.
    I misremembered and thought it was more than a ritual, i.e. it served to make the meat edible and you could not perform the ritual to poison someone.. Not sure if that's better or worse.
    "What's done is done."

6. - Top - End - #6

Hm.. I'm not sure if this could work on a living being to actually kill them.
    I misremembered and thought it was more than a ritual, i.e. it served to make the meat edible and you could not perform the ritual to poison someone.. Not sure if that's better or worse.
    At one point I'll go back and read what they said about it, but I think the general idea is that the flower drains the blood so that when you chop up the body it doesn't leave a mess. So purifying the meat and making clean up easy, and if you want blood while here's a nice flowery garnish for your steak that'll give that taste.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

At one point I'll go back and read what they said about it, but I think the general idea is that the flower drains the blood so that when you chop up the body it doesn't leave a mess. So purifying the meat and making clean up easy, and if you want blood while here's a nice flowery garnish for your steak that'll give that taste.
    Nah, you're right, I think. I'm not sure if it can be a weapon but you're right about what it does.

Another thing is... What's up with the numbering? I mean if every farm used the same number system it would make sense for the grace field kids to have such random numbers because there are all kinds of other kids between. But if the simple numbers are just for them...?
    "What's done is done."

8. - Top - End - #8

Nah, you're right, I think. I'm not sure if it can be a weapon but you're right about what it does.

Another thing is... What's up with the numbering? I mean if every farm used the same number system it would make sense for the grace field kids to have such random numbers because there are all kinds of other kids between. But if the simple numbers are just for them...?
    The numbers on the Grace Field Home kids is probably because their the best at making sure kids don't figure out the truth. So they use actual real human numbers instead of demon lingo. As for the meaning of the numbers, given there are...I think six farms in Grace Field, it might be that if you looked at every single kid, they'd all match up number wise. But ultimately, all it is is a way for the demons to catalogue stuff, so the numbers are probably sensible if we know what their notation system is. It's like the Dewey Decimal system, it looks like utter nonsense until you actually know what it means.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I guess I got another thing wrong. I thought grace field was just one house in the pentagon of houses, not the whole complex, and the other houses were the other premium farms. I really need to read more carefully and not ask stupid questions.
    I guess the numbers make more sense then.. Even though it still seems a bit unnecessary.

There's another question I've been thinking about but it might be even more uncomfortable than the whole "free range children as premium food" thing...
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, I guess I got another thing wrong. I thought grace field was just one house in the pentagon of houses, not the whole complex, and the other houses were the other premium farms. I really need to read more carefully and not ask stupid questions.
    I guess the numbers make more sense then.. Even though it still seems a bit unnecessary.

There's another question I've been thinking about but it might be even more uncomfortable than the whole "free range children as premium food" thing...
    Don't feel bad about asking questions, especially about a series where not all information is directly presented due to the fact that it's a mystery series.

God there's so much ****ed up stuff in this series. Then you consider it's basically unchanged from how we handle animals our self and you end up having your farm helper friend abandon the series because he's genuinely too distraught by it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, I could still try to be more attentive.

Yeah... If you're not firm in your belief that there is a distinct difference between humans and animals this will very likely turn you into a vegetarian...
    My thought was were the kids are coming from. Both, the premium and the mass produced.. It's.. a pretty grim thought, along with everything else.
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #12

Hm, I could still try to be more attentive.

Yeah... If you're not firm in your belief that there is a distinct difference between humans and animals this will very likely turn you into a vegetarian...
    My thought was were the kids are coming from. Both, the premium and the mass produced.. It's.. a pretty grim thought, along with everything else.
    I mean they do talk about this. They're called Mom for a reason. Though that's just how Grace Field does it, making sure only the best of the best are mated with pedigree'd males to ensure the best children. The feeder farms are um...probably a lot less kind about it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I mean they do talk about this. They're called Mom for a reason. Though that's just how Grace Field does it, making sure only the best of the best are mated with pedigree'd males to ensure the best children. The feeder farms are um...probably a lot less kind about it.
    Hm.. Are you sure there's not a distinction between the ones who give birth and the ones who raise the children? Then again, I kind of seem to remember a relevant flashback but not clearly enough. Also, it seems that the dads are needed far less.

Also.. I wonder if someone has tried to raise kids that are happy to be eaten...
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #14

Hm.. Are you sure there's not a distinction between the ones who give birth and the ones who raise the children? Then again, I kind of seem to remember a relevant flashback but not clearly enough. Also, it seems that the dads are needed far less.

Also.. I wonder if someone has tried to raise kids that are happy to be eaten...
    Yeah the idea is that girls who get selected as Mothers are used as breeding stock until they're past a certain age and then become orphanage mothers. It's how our specific Mom realized that Ray is her actual son.

God that's ****ing horrifying and almost certainly a thing that happens.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah the idea is that girls who get selected as Mothers are used as breeding stock until they're past a certain age and then become orphanage mothers. It's how our specific Mom realized that Ray is her actual son.

God that's ****ing horrifying and almost certainly a thing that happens.
    Ah, yeah, that rings a bell.
    Better not think about what happens to the others.. Though, it seems adult meat isn't that popular. Or that just matters for grace field?

I'm going to guess over the course of centuries they have tried a few different ways to to this..
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #16

Ah, yeah, that rings a bell.
    Better not think about what happens to the others.. Though, it seems adult meat isn't that popular. Or that just matters for grace field?

I'm going to guess over the course of centuries they have tried a few different ways to to this..
    Something about our brains being smart makes the meat tastier to demons, and our intellect DOES diminish with age, so adults probably tend to be used in different way (breeding stock, probably for support animals for demons with bad hearing and stuff, probably filler for whatever's the demon equivilent of hot dogs). This is also why they tend to skew young for harvesting.

But of course each demon has it's tastes, the twins want teenagers specifically, if I recall.

Grace Field doesn't sell people above a certain age because they're best at this. It's like...I don't know enough about meat producers to give a real world example, but basically in the real world you can get cuts of steak that are like 500 dollars a piece, and they taste as good as that price tag implies (even with a bad cook working it) and Grace Field is that, for the demons.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-03-09 at 02:37 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

The thing is that the demons specifically want intelligence/sapience in their food, and apparently the more intelligent something is the more delicious it is to them. That's the basic premise of the series. I forgot, they can survive without eating humans though right? That's what the wandering demons were doing? That's why they're villains.

In Terry Pratchett's Discworld there's a character, an intelligent talking cat who got its intelligence from eating a magical talking mouse when it's just a normal cat. Now that it's intelligent , it doesn't want to eat another intelligent, sapient being, but obviously it still need to hunt and eat meat. So whenever it catches a prey it always gives it a chance to speak, in case it's catching another talking animal.

There's also a Larry niven short story, about a race of space-faring carnivores who I think used to conquer other planets and eat its inhabitants, but since now it's civilized, whenever it encounter a new species they just ask for DNA sample in exchange of their advanced tech, so they could understand Clone artificial meat of the species and increase the diversity of their meat bank or something I guess. I thought I that's actually a fair deal, but the human mc of that story didn't think so and went despondent on the thought of how there's his thigh meat or whatever served in the plates of thousands of aliens (he's the diplomat who became the DNA donor) and killed himself.

On the other hand in the culture series, there's a race of cruel carnivores who thought that fear/pain enhance the taste of their food so whenever they hunt they specifically inflict more pain/fear than necessary, and they're obviously thought as barbaric and evil species.
    Last edited by Fri; 2018-03-10 at 03:10 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    The thing is that the demons specifically want intelligence/sapience in their food, and apparently the more intelligent something is the more delicious it is to them. That's the basic premise of the series. I forgot, they can survive without eating humans though right? That's what the wandering demons were doing? That's why they're villains.
    Well, since there are no free range humans and there are wild demons, and religious demons and probably others... unless they can live without food I guess they must be able to eat other things.

Something about our brains being smart makes the meat tastier to demons, and our intellect DOES diminish with age, so adults probably tend to be used in different way (breeding stock, probably for support animals for demons with bad hearing and stuff, probably filler for whatever's the demon equivilent of hot dogs). This is also why they tend to skew young for harvesting.

But of course each demon has it's tastes, the twins want teenagers specifically, if I recall.

Grace Field doesn't sell people above a certain age because they're best at this. It's like...I don't know enough about meat producers to give a real world example, but basically in the real world you can get cuts of steak that are like 500 dollars a piece, and they taste as good as that price tag implies (even with a bad cook working it) and Grace Field is that, for the demons.
    Hm... It still seems like they only eat young meat in this world. Maybe it's really just not worth having humans grow into adults. I kind of feel like contesting the idea that we get dumber after we are teenagers I mean, yeah, at some point, but I sure hope I can still outsmart an average 14 year old.

Spoiler: new chapter
    Show

Not much to say... the kids finish the weak demon and go after the couple. (Why the hell has that female such obvious breasts? I don't think I've seen any on any other demon....)
    We've got a shot limit of five because of the masks. Which kind of raises the question... since they are masks... and not helmets... why are you not shooting from behind?
    We'll see if all goes well.... hah.
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #19

Well, since there are no free range humans and there are wild demons, and religious demons and probably others... unless they can live without food I guess they must be able to eat other things.

Hm... It still seems like they only eat young meat in this world. Maybe it's really just not worth having humans grow into adults. I kind of feel like contesting the idea that we get dumber after we are teenagers I mean, yeah, at some point, but I sure hope I can still outsmart an average 14 year old.

Show

Not much to say... the kids finish the weak demon and go after the couple. (Why the hell has that female such obvious breasts? I don't think I've seen any on any other demon....)
    We've got a shot limit of five because of the masks. Which kind of raises the question... since they are masks... and not helmets... why are you not shooting from behind?
    We'll see if all goes well.... hah.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Clearly those aren't real and it's just her aesthetic. Demons don't seem to have much gender dimorphism so these two latex clad siblings who almost definitely **** each other like exenuating that "human" side of them.

that's my guess anyway. Also yeah, rip that idiot, begging for his father's life. The line "Sis, someone this pathetic did this to us" is REALLY good.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'd rather not think about what those two do in their spare time... Though I guess we have no idea about demon sexuality.. OK, I don't want to know either.

Also, new chapter. But nothing much to say about it I think? That's not meant in a bad way just.. I don't think there's anything to discuss.
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #21

I'd rather not think about what those two do in their spare time... Though I guess we have no idea about demon sexuality.. OK, I don't want to know either.

Also, new chapter. But nothing much to say about it I think? That's not meant in a bad way just.. I don't think there's anything to discuss.
    Not gonna lie I love that he's crying over Nouma's corpse. These demons ARE people. They're DEMONS, yes, and horrible things that deserve this entirely.

But they still do care about others. It's also just REALLY good art, I think. Also I really like that Leuvis is considered such a threat they made two bullets just for him.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Not gonna lie I love that he's crying over Nouma's corpse. These demons ARE people. They're DEMONS, yes, and horrible things that deserve this entirely.

But they still do care about others. It's also just REALLY good art, I think. Also I really like that Leuvis is considered such a threat they made two bullets just for him.
    Well, we know the demons are oretty "human" since they met the two... I mean.. okay, I won't start talking pokitics but... hunters aren't per se horrible people. Or butchers. Even though it's not the same.
    Also, yes, art is still great, but that's not news
    Well, I guess we will see if two are enough... (I'm gonna guess no)

edit:
    Show

The hunt continues... Apparently things ar not going quite as planned, when the kids realize demons have feelings. Also, way to miss a chance.

Emma is famous meat. And Lewis remembers "back in the day". I wonder why he doesn't do something himself is he is bored with how things are.. He seems powerful enough to make his own range with properly trained kids or something.. Oh well. Let's see if he is dumb and / or arrogant enough to fall for the trap.
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-03-26 at 11:21 AM.
    "What's done is done."

23. - Top - End - #23

This chapter ****ing ruled. From one of the bondage demons being so grief strucking he starts eating his loves face (and probably slaughtering those kids, sadly D:) to Leuvis being SUPER thrilled that he's finally getting the carnal blood sport he wanted...to Lord Bayon remembering the time when demons and humans hunted each other, and the world wasn't split in half by the promise. Things have gone slightly worse but slightly better all around.

I cannot wait to see more of this aaaah.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

This chapter ****ing ruled. From one of the bondage demons being so grief strucking he starts eating his loves face (and probably slaughtering those kids, sadly D:) to Leuvis being SUPER thrilled that he's finally getting the carnal blood sport he wanted...to Lord Bayon remembering the time when demons and humans hunted each other, and the world wasn't split in half by the promise. Things have gone slightly worse but slightly better all around.

I cannot wait to see more of this aaaah.
    Did I... did I miss something? I can not at all remember the last bit. Just him saying something like "that brings back memories" but nothing of what..
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #25

Did I... did I miss something? I can not at all remember the last bit. Just him saying something like "that brings back memories" but nothing of what..
    I'll admit, that's an extrapolation on my part, but it WOULD make sense. Byron and Leuvis are demons old enough to remember the old hunts, it'd make sense, I think.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'll admit, that's an extrapolation on my part, but it WOULD make sense. Byron and Leuvis are demons old enough to remember the old hunts, it'd make sense, I think.
    Hm... do we have any indication on demon age or...? I mean, it's entirely possible, but it could also be they just look for the "good old times" told along among demon kind... I feel like it's way easier to live without constantly fighting humans but... oh well.
    "What's done is done."

27. - Top - End - #27

Hm... do we have any indication on demon age or...? I mean, it's entirely possible, but it could also be they just look for the "good old times" told along among demon kind... I feel like it's way easier to live without constantly fighting humans but... oh well.
    I feel like they've mentioned Leuvis and Byron are really old. I think at the very least someone like Byron, who would set up this playful hunting ground, is someone who has first hand experience with it. It feels like something he'd do?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... I can't remember. Then again, I tend to forget many things...

Spoiler
    Show

Not much new... plans are going wrong and then there's a twist (?) at the end... but I don't think anything worth discussing? (Except paranoia that Zack is a spy and working for the demons
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #29

Hm... I can't remember. Then again, I tend to forget many things...

Spoiler
    Show

Not much new... plans are going wrong and then there's a twist (?) at the end... but I don't think anything worth discussing? (Except paranoia that Zack is a spy and working for the demons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Things seem SLIGHTLY wrong. The twist is that Gillian is forcing him to either die with her, or go save the others himself. Because she's tired of losing friends. An interesting notion. I'm curious as to what happened. I don't think Zack's a spy, he and Pip are probably just dead. Byon looks like the type of guy to just kill people, after all.

God I love the art in this series.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Things seem SLIGHTLY wrong. The twist is that Gillian is forcing him to either die with her, or go save the others himself. Because she's tired of losing friends. An interesting notion. I'm curious as to what happened. I don't think Zack's a spy, he and Pip are probably just dead. Byon looks like the type of guy to just kill people, after all.

God I love the art in this series.
    Well, yes, she is clearly trying to do what he planned. The kind of problem is... We hardly know any of them. And while this might sound a little heartless, it makes it difficult to feel strongly about it. However this will work out...
    "What's done is done."