New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Promised Neverland: Promises kept and broken (to be edited)

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    But... That's just conjecture. We know he's important to the demons, which is about what the kids know. Heck, we know slightly more because we got a few extra scenes. But assuming reaching him grants you wishes or him being remotely sympathetic to humans has no basis. As far as we know they plan to become self-delivered food.

Well, but then you can also argue he's just trying to keep the status quo and prevent a huge war between humans and demons.
    I'm aware it's conjecture, but I base it on the fact that there IS a Promise right now, and it was powerful enough to literally create two alternate worlds. Words could just be a very powerful demon, the demon equivalent of whichever human signed the Promise so long ago (I think this was Minerva or someone in his family I forget).

True, but a reasonable question to ask is "is the status quo actually good?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we can make any guesses we want because it doesn't affect us whether or not we are right. Those kids try to survive a terribly dangerous situation and just walking into the enemy base is stupid compared to... I don't know, maybe escaping after all and looking for allied humans? Or you know, even starting a guerilla war seems more promising to me.
    I don't think we got a proper explanation on the promise. While it's not impossible I guess it seems much more likely to me it was about stopping the war between two worlds , not making two worlds.

Well, the likely end of the promise would be a return to war, killing many on both sides. Of course the evil man does not give the impression that those are his thoughts but it's kind of what is on the table.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #93

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Not much going on in this one, just a bit of set up for the next arc. Art is a little weird in places, but otherwise good chapter!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, fine chapter. Decent setup even if not much happens. But I'm curious if I'm the only one who gets stuck strong demon vibe from the ally

Also, it sure is good these kids can translate Morse on the go
    "What's done is done."

5. - Top - End - #95

Yeah, fine chapter. Decent setup even if not much happens. But I'm curious if I'm the only one who gets stuck strong demon vibe from the ally

Also, it sure is good these kids can translate Morse on the go
    Oh no their support is definitely a demon. Whether it's one of Sui Jing's cultist friends or just a vegan remains to be seen.

Well it is Ray. He has baby memories he's clearly the best and smartest and coolest cause he's got baby memories.

6. - Top - End - #96

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    More set up! And more nifty little puzzles we didn't get to look at ourselves, sadly.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I guess they could have given us these puzzles to solve.. Even while leaving the credit to Ron and Gilda. But random guess... They didn't have anyone at hand who could do Latin? At least not whole pages of it. (sidenote: I feel like using mirrored writing is a really poor coding unless you fight children or really dumb AIs)

Also, did we have a measure how long a tick on these coordinates is? My first guess would be 1km but...
    "What's done is done."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

As one of who knows how few Latin teachers in Japan, I approve of this chapter.

With that example image, I wonder if they're talking abut true mirrored writing like da Vinci used, or boustrophedon, which was an actual technique used on some old inscriptions (and was not meant to be a code, though it certainly makes those inscriptions a pain in the butt for us today.)
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

9. - Top - End - #99

Yeah, I guess they could have given us these puzzles to solve.. Even while leaving the credit to Ron and Gilda. But random guess... They didn't have anyone at hand who could do Latin? At least not whole pages of it. (sidenote: I feel like using mirrored writing is a really poor coding unless you fight children or really dumb AIs)

Also, did we have a measure how long a tick on these coordinates is? My first guess would be 1km but...
    I mean given the demons probably have their own language it probably is a good code?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean given the demons probably have their own language it probably is a good code?
    Latin? Or mirroring? I mean, considering most of us are not linguists and have no idea where to start deciphering a completely unknown language, any language is a good code to us.
    Then again demons are thousands of years old and probably had some contact with people that wasn't homicidal, so Latin being as prevalent as it was in the past, it seems like one of the more likely languages for them to know (?)

Mirroring... Honestly, most brains are good enough to easily recognize a mirrored image, be it known or unknown. If you give me a text in mirrored English, I won't have much trouble with it, if you give me a text in mirrored Japanese I'll make about as much sense of it as normal Japanese, it'll just take longer (what little I can understand) and if you give me a text in mirrored Russian or another Cyrillic language it doesn't make a difference to a normal text, I can't figure out anything.
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #101

Latin? Or mirroring? I mean, considering most of us are not linguists and have no idea where to start deciphering a completely unknown language, any language is a good code to us.
    Then again demons are thousands of years old and probably had some contact with people that wasn't homicidal, so Latin being as prevalent as it was in the past, it seems like one of the more likely languages for them to know (?)

Mirroring... Honestly, most brains are good enough to easily recognize a mirrored image, be it known or unknown. If you give me a text in mirrored English, I won't have much trouble with it, if you give me a text in mirrored Japanese I'll make about as much sense of it as normal Japanese, it'll just take longer (what little I can understand) and if you give me a text in mirrored Russian or another Cyrillic language it doesn't make a difference to a normal text, I can't figure out anything.
    Assuming it's latin, in arabic alphabet, mirrored, there's actually a fairly good chance the demons might not recognize it? I don't actually know for sure. Does Latin have it's own character set?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming it's latin, in arabic alphabet, mirrored, there's actually a fairly good chance the demons might not recognize it? I don't actually know for sure. Does Latin have it's own character set?
    Nah, latin is the standard western characters, with a few exceptions. (like no 'k', and 'u' and 'v' were the same letter once)
    Hm... I'm not sure. But then I'm neither a cryptographer nor a linguist. And we still know kind of little about the demons. Heck, we don't know what language the kids speak, canonically.
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Does Latin have it's own character set?
    ... Yes. It's called either the Roman or Latin alphabet.

It's the one you're writing with right now.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    ... Yes. It's called either the Roman or Latin alphabet.

It's the one you're writing with right now.
    As you may of noticed I got that mixed up with numbers being arabic script.

I have, once more, said the exact opposite of what I intended. ****.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Happens to the best of us.

Chapter 100 is kind of disappointing. Not bad just nothing too special, though I guess we just finished a major arc. But I guess I'll agree on the grace field kids being scary. And I guess the trip wasn't too long after all..
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #106

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh no Phil! Andrew's the soldier being sent after our heroes...something bad's gonna happen.

And Emma and the gang make it to the place they need to go. Yay and such! Time for a new arc.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I guess he's just going around asking former Gracers about the escapees. In all likelihood Phil should be able to play dumb. Well irl. In this story I guess even though Phil can't really have any useful information, Andrew might still drag him along to use as bait or something and thus will be saved and reunited with the others (?)
    "What's done is done."

18. - Top - End - #108

New Chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we know why this is called the Promised Neverland now.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Do we? I mean, originally I thought it was about the orphans being promised a new life, which of course would never come and instead be death.
    Then there was the ominous promise / contract for a while now.
    But how did the new chapter shed more light for you?

Also, somewhat disappointed we're now dropping any pretense of realism (except highly evolved demons and other dimensions) and go full on magic with visions and time travel
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #110

Do we? I mean, originally I thought it was about the orphans being promised a new life, which of course would never come and instead be death.
    Then there was the ominous promise / contract for a while now.
    But how did the new chapter shed more light for you?

Also, somewhat disappointed we're now dropping any pretense of realism (except highly evolved demons and other dimensions) and go full on magic with visions and time travel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, if Emma is right and that's the place where the Promise was made, it's a place that is nowhere and everwhere. It is the Never Land. I'll admit this is probably stretching, but it feels correct.

It was inevitable that we'd get into mysticism stuff in this series due to the concept of The Promise and the splitting of the world into two equal yet separate halves, and I hope it manages to play out well. I think it's fine enough so far, but I definitely get what you mean.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

It might be totally arbitrary but I have no problem accepting a story with magic dimension splitting but see no need to throw in more mysticism if you could just as well do without it.

Also, new chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hah, interesting beginning. But apart from the obvious top three I don't think I will ever be able to comprehend the Japanese mind.

Then not time travel but just time skip. So while it's not that important, when exactly does it end? When we see them in the village? When they get back? Are we still recapping what happened? Will we learn more about what happened?
    It's not like anything important could have happened in these two years.. And it's not like kid that age tend to grow up rapidly
    Well, we'll see what the Golden water / temple stuff is about. (also, is golden water that common in the demon world?)
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #112

It might be totally arbitrary but I have no problem accepting a story with magic dimension splitting but see no need to throw in more mysticism if you could just as well do without it.

Also, new chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hah, interesting beginning. But apart from the obvious top three I don't think I will ever be able to comprehend the Japanese mind.

Then not time travel but just time skip. So while it's not that important, when exactly does it end? When we see them in the village? When they get back? Are we still recapping what happened? Will we learn more about what happened?
    It's not like anything important could have happened in these two years.. And it's not like kid that age tend to grow up rapidly
    Well, we'll see what the Golden water / temple stuff is about. (also, is golden water that common in the demon world?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The recap ends in the demon village that they're escaping.

One detail I like: no one is cutting their hair so it's getting REALLY long and really shaggy. When they do meet up with Norman again it's gonna be quite a culture shock cause he'll be exactly the same looking but older, while they'll be grimmy and messed up.

I imagine it's not common, they just managed to find it after a year and eight months of searching. But yeah, this seems...alright. Probably gonna lead to the next arc for REAL this time.

23. - Top - End - #113

VERY IMPORTANT DOUBLE POST!

The author comments reveal that this is the last arc of Neverland. Huh.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

VERY IMPORTANT DOUBLE POST!

The author comments reveal that this is the last arc of Neverland. Huh.
    Well... I do like stories which don't go on forever. I mean, assuming this does end well it implies it's pretty easy (or at least quick) to fix whatever Problem there was in this world but the first Statement is still true. And we don't know how Long the arc will be, so... it might still take a while.

Also I'm not sure about the hair cutting... if you don't cut your hair for two years you look way "worse" (or maybe that's just me). But many seem to have somewhat longer hair, probably teen rebellion stuff

Speaking of rebellion... who's blowing up farms? Religious extremists like Musica?
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #115

Well... I do like stories which don't go on forever. I mean, assuming this does end well it implies it's pretty easy (or at least quick) to fix whatever Problem there was in this world but the first Statement is still true. And we don't know how Long the arc will be, so... it might still take a while.

Also I'm not sure about the hair cutting... if you don't cut your hair for two years you look way "worse" (or maybe that's just me). But many seem to have somewhat longer hair, probably teen rebellion stuff

Speaking of rebellion... who's blowing up farms? Religious extremists like Musica?
    I'm also excited to hear it's ending to be honest, this felt like a story that had a pretty clear ending from the very beginning and I was worried it might get drawn out. I like it, it's...small. Things can be small. We don't need episode five hundred chapter series anymore, we have enough currently.

I mean. They do look worse. But it's a good worse. It's cool to see passage of time so clearly.

I felt like it was our kids, but considering they're not THAT dangerous...possibly Musica, yeah.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

I felt like it was our kids, but considering they're not THAT dangerous...possibly Musica, yeah.
    It's more like 'don't they have better things to do?' but yes, it would also be kind of ooc.

New chapter. Now it seems like the plot is racing.. I guess they got a deadline? Which is also why it's the last arc already (?)
    "What's done is done."

27. - Top - End - #117

Yeah, things seem to be going a bit faster than I'd like personally. I'm also not entirely clear what they discovered up on those ceilings. Ah well. It's time for infiltration!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Geez, considering how they murdered the demons the kids are suddenly very pacifist. I mean, I would have definitely placed some traps at the entrance. And now, instead of fighting back to kill, they just run... At least up to now. I guess we'll see if this keeps going.

Also, I hope we get a decent (or honestly, I'd be fine with no) Explanation on how they were found and not something stupid... I guess it cannot be too hard to follow them back from one of their excursions or something. We'll see.
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #119

Spoiler
    Show

Geez, considering how they murdered the demons the kids are suddenly very pacifist. I mean, I would have definitely placed some traps at the entrance. And now, instead of fighting back to kill, they just run... At least up to now. I guess we'll see if this keeps going.

Also, I hope we get a decent (or honestly, I'd be fine with no) Explanation on how they were found and not something stupid... I guess it cannot be too hard to follow them back from one of their excursions or something. We'll see.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's one of those cases where "well we can't kill a HUMAN, demons are different". I do think they'll kill the guards if they can...and I mean Lucas did kill that guy, pretty sure.

My personal guess: Norman is who found them. He used his super smarts to figure it out, and he's playing along with the Ratri's.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

It's one of those cases where "well we can't kill a HUMAN, demons are different". I do think they'll kill the guards if they can...and I mean Lucas did kill that guy, pretty sure.

My personal guess: Norman is who found them. He used his super smarts to figure it out, and he's playing along with the Ratri's.
    Nah, I'm pretty sure the guard is just unconscious. He strangled him, not broke his neck. If he wanted him dead, he'd have shot him.

Ah, that could be. Although I think him being converted would be a better twist than him playing along... But probably not.
    "What's done is done."