The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Flawless [IC]

1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Flawless [IC]

Anemone smiles slightly. "Likewise, Miss Calum. Good day." He stands and steps to the edge of the circle, where he vanishes.

After asking a few questions, Bethany manages to identify a particularly good candidate: Colfax Elementary School. It has extremely low academic performance, high rates of severe bullying with no reprisal, high poverty rates, and a serious drug problem. Not only that, but a few questions asked of a friend who does dubious things with magic and weasels and near-obsessively tracks missing persons cases in the city shows that no less than four people linked to the school have vanished in the last two months: two students, an older brother of a student, and a student's mother (herself only twenty).
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Then that's where Bethany heads - after hours, of course. She goes after everybody but the janitors will have left, taking some chalk along for the ride.

When she arrives, she'll walk around the building a moment, attempting to get a feel for it on the whole of it, feeling out any particularly stand out psychic energy around the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling lore for passive vibes around the school: (4d3-4)[5]
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Bethany walks up to the elementary school, and looks around. At first, it seems to be a normal school. But the longer she looks, the more it feels...off. Wrong. It's a subtle taint, but pervasive, and once she gets the feel for it, she can't believe it took so long to see. The signs are everywhere.

Start with the way that the passerby all seem to be walking on the other side of the street, for no particular reason, and in fact none of them even gaze at the school grounds unless there's a pressing reason to, in which case they sneak furtive glances in that direction like they are afraid of being caught looking. Proceed to the empty feeling of the playground, a place that should be bustling with life and is instead nothing but a void, a sucking wound, a place that drinks life in and is never full. Continue with the front doors, a forbidding entry that seems like it should have ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE above it - the door isn't even locked, as though whoever left it knows deep down that no one would ever trespass here, and anyone who tries, well, they deserve what they get. Move along and find the parking lot, completely empty save for used syringes though normally a single parking spot in this part of town is worth good money, as though no one, no one wants to leave a vehicle in this place. Find the dumpster, unmarked by spray paint, empty though there is no lock to keep out that which does not belong, and smelling more of death than refuse. See the baseball diamond, the grass too-verdant and yet sickly-looking, as though it were fertilized too-richly with the flesh of teen suicides and watered with the blood of the damned.

Bethany suspects that she should be very, very grateful that she cannot use the Second Sight, right about now. Look too closely at this place, and...well, she suspects that is the kind of action that keeps psychiatrists, or possibly exorcists, in business.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's not ominous or anything.

Bethany will step up, however - while trespassing might seem like a bad idea just based on the vibes of the place, it's the only way to get more information - making it's den inside this place seems likely. Perhaps in the basement, or a utility closet. A nighttime janitor that got infected, perhaps? She'll walk in the unlocked doors, trying to find the most likely spot for the creature. For light, she'll push a small amount of power into her quartz necklace, to make it light up the area.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Bethany proceeds into the building, with a shivering feeling of hairs rising on the back of her neck as she pushes open the front door and steps inside. The entrance is large, and the windows provide adequate light thanks to the setting sun. Inside, she can feel that same sense of something wrong, a feeling like this place is actively draining life and positive emotions out of her, just a little. She actually finds that it feels like the energy is being pulled in a specific direction, and she manages to follow the tug to the source. It leads her downstairs (it takes her a minute to find the stairs, which are hidden away in an unmarked door, though not locked). Once there, the seemingly unpleasant-but-tolerable aura of the upper floor gets...worse.

The halls are concrete-walled, and unlit, with only the wan light of Bethany's crystal to guide her. She follows the pull down the hall, her footsteps echoing but with a heavy sound that is flat and leaden. The shadows in the corner of the hall are too deep, too thick. The air is cold and has a faint slimy feeling. She pities the people who have to work down here.

Following the pull, she finds a small door, tucked in a back corner of the hall. The sign looks like it once read STORAGE ROOM, but some letters have faded (or been marred) and it now says only RAGE ROOM. The handle is locked. She can smell something bad on the other side - a touch of feces, a dash of chlorine bleach, and a trace of rot.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Based purely on the smell, there's no way whomever is on the other side is properly alive. With that smell of rot... anybody whose body is still alive is dying of gangrene, or poisoned by the noxious fumes. All the same, Bethany is holding out hope that it's not so bad, weak though that hope might be.

She takes a deep breath, and breathes it out as calmly as she can, attempting to ignore the hammering in her chest, gathering power in her right hand. It's locked, of course, but when has that ever been an obstacle to a sorceress? With the power she's collected, she'll reach out to the door, standing across the room from it, and pull it out of the "rage" room and off to the side, so that she won't be hit by any of the flying splinters, "Vosh," she says, her standard for manipulating gravity.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using the "Vosh" rote spell to destroy the door. I'll roll discipline if you deem it necessary, but unless there's an appreciable change of her failing to pull this off (there shouldn't be) it's not something to worry about.
    Last edited by Halae; 2019-07-05 at 11:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

The door explodes in a spray of splinters, the handle slamming into the opposite wall hard enough to leave a spiderweb of cracks. Inside the closet is...well. It's probably a good thing that Bethany doesn't have much in her body to vomit up.

What's left of a man is inside the closet, hanging upside-down by a wire tied around one foot. His arms dangle downward, swinging slightly in the wake of the gravity shift. Everywhere Bethany looks, his body seems to be more cruelly damaged than the last place. His genitals have been removed, the wound ragged as though they were simply torn off by brute force, then cauterized. His toes and fingers were removed similarly. The skin and muscles of his arms were peeled off, with more cauterization. Some sort of runic script was carved into the bones, the designs a magical alphabet native to the Native American tribes of the Northeast; the incantation appears to be a very, very dark ritual of consumption.

His chest fared only slightly better. There are multiple deep stab wounds, carefully placed to go between major organs rather than rupture them. The skin is still present in between the stabs, but more of those runes have been cut, burned, and tattooed into it, leaving very little actual intact skin. His scalp is peeled away to expose the skull, which has more scrimshaw designs. His mouth gapes open - his lips were cut away, and the teeth pulled, either very inexpertly or with the deliberate intent to cause pain and damage. There's a suggestion of additional blunt force damage to the mouth area, as well. His eyes and eyelids were torn out by thin, sharp claws. The stench of rot and bleach is much stronger in here, and the bleach smell comes from the body - it seems he was soaked in it. On the floor is a bloodsoaked janitor's uniform, along with a small leather-bound book, a journal or day planner by the looks of it, which was kept clear of the many horrible substances covering the walls and floor of the room.

This man took a long, long time to die.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a VERY good thing that Bethany didn't eat before coming over, or she'd have added to the mess. As it is, dry heaving slightly is all she can do as she takes out her cellphone to take some pictures. Does she want images of this obscenity saved? No, certainly not. But it's important to do so anyways, as she takes pictures from a variety of angles, including of the journal. She'll cover her right hand with her sleeves and reach down for the notebook or journal, so that she can open it and read it while her other hand keeps a hold of her nose, the better to make sure she doesn't have to smell all this longer than necessary.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Bethany takes a thorough record of the scene, documenting it. If anyone ever sees these photos on her phone, of course, it will be...hard to explain. But she collects the data, and then she opens the book, which proves to be a journal.

Spoiler: Book contents
    Show
    Inside, the writing starts off in English, and looks like a fairly typical diary for a teenage boy. It quickly becomes apparent that this boy was socially isolated, perhaps even ostracized; there are no mentions of friends at all, and on several occasions there are comments about how lonely he feels and his unrequited sexual attraction to one of the girls in his school, a girl a year younger than him named Amber. She was (at least to him) very beautiful, but never actually formed a relationship with any of the other boys, which tantalized him with the possibility that he might actually have a chance. He notes that his history and social science classes were very easy, but seemed to struggle very hard with hard science and math. Outside of school, he spent most of his time playing video games, and mentions a couple which she recognizes as being very, very violent.

About ten pages in, she learns something else: the unnamed author had very deviant sexual tastes. He mentions a few things in passing which are socially unacceptable, but this pales when he begins to write in depth about desires which are outright illegal. He fantasizes about rape and bestiality, and questions whether this means that he is a bad person. On several occasions he refers to himself as a monster. One passage suggests that his family are evangelical Christians, and that he believes that if he were ever to reveal his urges he would be disowned; he also clearly believes that his soul is damned to the darkest pits of Hell.

At around this point, the narrative starts to get harder to follow. There are pages with very little writing, or which have odd looking sketches on them instead of writing. Other pages are written in mirror writing or Latin (though it's clear that he had only a very limited grasp on the language). He repeatedly expresses a wish to take vengeance on his classmates and teachers for the bullying he's been subjected to since childhood. Then, suddenly, he jumps from fantasizing about violent acts to apparently carrying them out: he describes vivisecting the family cat, then throwing her body in the river. He writes about stalking Amber; at first this is simply following her at school, but it doesn't take long before he's breaking into her home to steal some of her belongings, and even place cameras in her room.

It starts to become unclear what he actually did, and what happened in a video game or daydream. The descriptions of violence grow steadily more graphic and more sexually charged. The text starts to include very detailed descriptions of how he would like to torture his classmates, sometimes including disturbingly accurate anatomical sketches. He claims to have killed more animals, and done...distasteful things with their bodies, before and after death. Then he describes having gone to a prostitute, and paid her to do things that are both disgusting and disturbing. This section is described in great, unpleasant detail, and during the next few entries he mentions fantasizing about doing even worse things to her several times.

The Latin comes back, but now it's mixed with two other languages that she doesn't even recognize - one seems Native American, and the other might be Chinese or Japanese. She starts finding vague references to powers and rituals. Some of the sketches are now drawn in blood. The descriptions of violence are more and more detailed and grotesque. He claims to have acquired first a machete, and then a pistol, both with his parents' approval - though it's clear that they still have no idea what he intends to actually do with them.

Then there's a break of several blank pages, followed by an entry in startlingly clear language. Apparently Amber publicly came out as a lesbian and is now in a passionate relationship with another girl from another school. Her parents are moving so that she can go to the same school as her girlfriend. This is all described in simple, emotionally uninvolved language. Then there's the simple line: "Is this my punishment for my sins? If so, I will accept damnation. So be it."

Then there's another blank. Then the text resumes, still in that disturbingly calm, uninvolved tone. The author states that he confronted Amber, saying that he loved her, and always had, and asking her to give up her girlfriend and come with him. He told her that he had done bad things, but he believed she could redeem him. She laughed and walked away. He then overpowered her and drove out to the wilderness with her. He raped her repeatedly. He says that she at first couldn't comprehend what was happening; then she expressed intense horror, fear, and revulsion with him; then she stopped screaming and simply cried silently; then she went entirely nonresponsive. He tortured her to death, then raped her some more. The text then reads: "It is in me now. I will never be alone again."

There's another break. Then one line, in a different hand, written in blood: "I will squeeze you until you are empty, and then I will fill you with me." It's the last line in the book.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Bethany's had to shut away her empathy at some point - it simply can't handle something like this, and so she spends her time reading impassively, keeping her roiling emotions from coming to the surface. Despite her shuddering breaths, she reads through everything, knowing that everything stated could be important. The changing language is important - it's doubtful a kid like this is going to know several different languages like this, suggesting that the wendigo that took him over is the one speaking, with the boy unknowingly pulling on the spirit's knowledge. The last line only reaffirms the thought that he's got some kind of monster taking the wheel.

Bethany will leave the premises the way she came stumbling out into the night, that cold sheet of logic she's fallen into as a way to deal with the tempest in her heart urging her to take the next step towards resolving this. The next step she takes is simple; call someone who can contact Jack Tar. She'll take her phone and call someone she can to get his attention.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

A quick phone call to an old friend gets the message to Jack Tar; less than five minutes later, the Tribe's almost-leader calls back. A quick, terse conversation later, he names a location less than a mile away and says he'll be there inside an hour. Then she sends the photographs and directions to the police along with a note of the link to the missing girl, careful to scrub anything that might show who they came from. It would normally take them a while to get around to investigating an anonymous tip, but with such graphic evidence of a crime, as well as exact directions, they'll probably be out here very fast.

About forty-five minute later she reaches the spot Jack mentioned, the cool night air having done a lot to settle her stomach if not her mind. The street mage is in an alley leaning up against the side of a Thai restaurant, and as usual, he is smoking. "Little bird told me you've been busy," he says, flicking some ash off the cigarette. "Melted pavement and property damage on the interstate. Sounds like there was a hell of a brawl."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Bethany waves it off, "The melted pavement was their fault. I'm not here for that, though - I found one of the Wendigo dens, and I'd like your help tracking down where it's gone now. There's still people involved that we might be able to save. A boy got infected with it, and now we have his parents, and him, missing," She'll hold up a sheet of paper; an obvious tool for finding the owner of the notebook it came from, "I wanted to get backup before I went hunting. This thing's hurt some of your people; even if you don't come personally, you have anybody that can back me up?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

"Hell with that," Jack says, tossing the cigarette aside; it is consumed in a flash of fire before it hits the ground. "If you have a way to track this bloody thing down, I'm coming with. Nobody does this kind of thing to my people and gets away with it." His eyes are blazing a brighter shade of orange than usual, and the scent of gasoline on his breath is a little stronger; his long, stained coat is pressed against his legs by a breeze that isn't there. "Your tracking spell, or mine?"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

"My head's too f***ed right now to do a proper ritual," she says, handing him the notebook paper, "This came from a journal written by the wendigo's current host. It's been soaking in the kind of sh** it does with its time - if there's anything that can help us find it, it's this," Being fair, Bethany is powerful enough that she could probably power through it to do the ritual, but Jack's in a better headspace right now - he's not the one who's been checking a storage room filled with some of the worst offenses against a human being possible.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Jack's expression softens, but he doesn't say a word, just takes the paper and walks over to the middle of the alley. He pulls a small can of spray paint from his jacket pocket and uses that to draw a circle on the asphalt. He casts a quick tracking spell, which seems to involve the use of motor oil and ashes to anoint a car antenna, and then breaks the circle.

He holds the antenna out and turns until he's facing southeast, then nods. "That way. Based on how strong the signal is, somewhere between two and three miles."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Bethany hooks a thumb towards her car, "Hop in. You can maintain the tracking spell while I drive."

Presumably, they do just that.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Jack just nods, climbing into the car and holding the antenna out. The smell of him in the confined area is...unpleasantly intense, but Bethany manages to keep her nonexistent lunch on the inside as she drives, following the direction Jack indicates.

A few minutes later, he tells her to stop, and she pulls over to the side of the road for them to get out. Jack gestures for her to wait and be silent, and slips off down an alley. He vanishes in the shadows with remarkable skill, even before the assistance of his magical veiled coat. Less than ten minutes pass before he returns, the car antenna back in one of his many coat pockets.

"Found the bastard," he murmurs to her. "Three blocks south. Pretty quiet residential neighborhood. Tracking spell points to a house, on the small side, big yard. I took a little Look at it and, well, I don't think you want to know what I Saw, but it's safe to say that if the wendigo ain't there, something else nasty is. Warding spell on the front door, and an electronic alarm." He is silent for a moment. "I ain't normally the type to say this, but...maybe we should just torch the building. I reckon if there's something inside there that ain't dead yet, we'd be doing it a favor if we cooked it to death."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Bethany looks down at her hands for a long moment, before nodding, "Alright, but if we do this, we make absolutely certain that thing is dead. No chances for it to escape; it'll try to run as soon as the house goes up, and I don't want it to make it away. One of us on the back, one of us on the front, to watch for it."

Bethany will take either side that Jack doesn't; she just wants this done.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

"Agreed. I'll take the back; it's more likely that it'll run that way. Oh, and I know you aren't an idiot kid, but just in case: we aren't aiming for taking this thing alive. Ain't nobody can fix that kind of possession, and from the sounds of it, might be he deserved to die before the wendigo spirit even found him." Jack then heads down the alley before pointing out the house. It looks much like described, a small house with a large yard, and it's far too innocent looking for the horror that is within. The house is painted white, the grass is lush. But Bethany can feel the same sort of feeling she had in the rage room, a feeling of sickness and madness, of delight in destruction for the sake of destruction.

Jack says "I'll hit it with my best shot in two," and goes around to the back of the building.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Bethany will nod to Jack. While she doesn't agree that he should be the one to face it if it does its best to go out the back, she's not going to argue the point anymore.

Bethany, for her part, leans up against a chain fence on the other side of the street. Close enough to watch, to see anything that tries to get out of the house and hit it with something. Far enough that even the fastest monsters in the world will have to take a moment to get to her. A moment is all she'll need, if it comes to it. For now, she waits, gathering a trickle of power so that she can fling it the moment she sees the creature.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Almost precisely two minutes later, there's a burst of light from the other side of the house. At first it looks like a flare, but in seconds it grows almost blindingly intense, and Bethany has to shield her eyes.

When she looks again, there's not much left of the house, just a handful of studs poking up out of ashes and rubble. Small fires smolder in the wreckage. It's hard to pick out any details of what was inside, since most of it is buried under the debris.

Then, something comes out of the inferno. It's hard to say exactly what it is at first; it's just a humanoid shape, moving almost too fast to see clearly. It pushes up from under the debris on the near side of the building, tossing heaps of burning wood and roofing material aside so forcefully that they fly fifteen or twenty feet. It then hurls itself out the front door at Bethany, and she gets a clear look at the thing.

It looks a lot like a young man, perhaps seventeen years old, slight of build, with dark hair that hangs raggedly to his chin. His is not a pretty face, made worse by acne scars. His eyes blaze crimson, literally casting a scarlet glow across the street like flashlights, and his fingers end in dark claws, perhaps five inches long. He is wearing black leather and carries no apparent weapons.

As soon as he appears, Jack casts another spell. A chunk of concrete the size of a large man flies in hard enough that it could crush a car, as it proves when the wendigo dodges aside with inhuman ease and the concrete hits a parked car and caves the side of it in until it looks like a C.

The wendigo doesn't even hesitate, and it seems to know perfectly well that Bethany is involved, despite her casual pose. It sprints at her, far too fast for anything human, leaving footprints of frost on the ground. It turns the sprint into a flying tackle, those black claws coming up and raking at her eyes with all the force of its momentum behind them.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Fists attack at weapon five: (4d3-4)[3]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Bethany moves off to the side of the strike, but the abomination's claw finds purchase in her arm, slashing a massive gash in her left. Even as the blood starts to soak into her normally beige sweater and along the sleeve of her new trenchcoat, she extends her right hand towards the monster, keeping her bleeding left arm back and away from it, "Imper Vosh!"

The air twists, compressing so hard it nearly turns black as the very light gets caught in the gravitational pull. Anything caught within this man sized ball of gravity is going to have a bad time. A truly tough creature might be able to withstand the pressure being applied, but even then it's not going to have a fun time of it as bones break, flesh splinters, and even the very stone of the sidewalk gets caught up in the ball, uprooted from its cement locale as everything gets crushed towards the center in an attempt to reduce it to a sub-two-hundred pound bowling ball made of meat.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

The wendigo lets out a scream as its body warps under the sheer force of gravity pulling it inward. One arm shatters under the force, its forearm suddenly flopping as though it had a second elbow. It stumbles, and its twists, leaving it stumbling to stand. Despite this, the scream is very clearly one not of pain, but of sheer rage. It stumbles, but manages to move its broken arm enough to get a hand on Bethany's already-wounded arm.

Suddenly, an emotion rips through her, an urge so primal and powerful that even her disciplined mind is simply not up to the task of withstanding it. It's hard to put a single-word name to the feeling. The closest she can come to encapsulating it is that she suddenly feels a profound need to destroy. To crush. To break. And all that comes with the bone-deep knowledge that it will feel good to do so. That the raw satisfaction of destruction for the sake of destruction will more than outweigh than any guilt she might feel. It's like being on a roller coaster, in a way: she feels out of control in a way that is both exhilarating and terrifying, caught up in the wake of her own primeval emotional needs.

And it all makes so much sense. How could she not want to destroy this thing? How could she not want to lash out at something that has caused so much pain, so much suffering, for no better reason than because it wanted to? No one will ever know if she goes a little too far, after all....

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

The onslaught of emotion hits Bethany almost full on, and though she has a powerful mind, capable of great things, she's not immune to her own emotions. Anger burns; she wants to kill it, see it smote for all that it has done to the world. Turn it into a bloody smear across the sidewalk.

In spite of this, however, she's also quite intelligent, and knows exactly what it's trying to do. Killing it right now would be exactly what it wants, because then it could posses her. So she waits. She doesn't try to kill it just yet. It has to be for the right reasons, not her pain or her horror, "Jack, get over here!" she snarls into the night, encouraging the other wizard to get closer.

So she doesn't strike out. She doesn't try to break its bones or crush its brain, though she desperately wants to. No, she extends her hand once again towards it, focusing on its movement. She pushes against its arms, its legs, intending to restrict how it acts, calling out "Boul!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Creating a 6 shift block against any and all movement of the arms, legs, and jaw as Bethany uses magnetics to paralyze it, by essentially turning the sidewalk into a super-magnet for its flesh.

Discipline roll to control the 6 shifts of power being put out. If this is successfully 6 or higher, Bethany only takes 1 mental stress from this spell and the Wendigo has to get past a +6 block in order to act physically. If it bypasses this block once, it breaks the enchantment entirely, but this should at least hold it down in the meantime. Every point the discipline roll is under 6 gives her mental stress and reduces the power of the block by 1

Discipline: (4d3-2)[8]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

The wendigo snarls and strains against the bonds, but the creature's inhuman strength is still tied to a fundamentally human body, and it cannot escape the pull of the force holding it in place. Jack comes tearing around the corner of the building into sight a moment later, holding a tire iron, his face set in an expression of grim, quiet wrath. As he sees the wendigo, he extends his hand and roars "Draht!" His voice is solid and deep, and you can almost hear the sound of the train rolling by in it, the low rumble of thousands and thousands of tons of metal grinding past.

What looks like wire rips out of the ground under the wendigo's feet, twining up its body. The wire wraps around its legs, weaves a net around its torso, loops over its neck. Then it contracts, with the kind of force that only a serious evocator can bring to the table. The wire starts digging in, and blood flows where it starts to cut.

The wendigo just smiles, looking straight at Bethany. "You would make a better partner than this pile of offal, wizard. And I think we both know that we are not such different beings, you and I. Today, perhaps, you resist, but one day you will be ready to embrace your need. So remember the name Megedagik, and call when you see the truth. I will remember." The creature's voice is rather choked and slurred by the end, as the wire tears into its throat, but Bethany can still understand the words.

The wendigo then laughs, wild and free, even as the wire begins to separate its body into component parts.

Jack looks at the body, which now looks like a normal human boy. His expression is...hard to read, but there's a definite sense of satisfaction. A long moment later, he stows the tire iron at his belt, and looks up at Bethany. "Good work."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

"You too," Bethany says, rubbing a hand. She looks and sounds irritable, "It got into my head a bit. That screech. I need... I dunno. Some time to cool off, at least. Man, what an ass. Sorry if I snap, but I think I'm gonna need a day or three," she turns her arm over, looking at the bleeding wound before applying pressure to try and stop the bleeding, "Not safe for me to drive like this. Could you take me to the hospital? I need stitches."

That is an incredibly dour look on Bethany's face. It doesn't help that this little trip to get her arm looked at is going to be both painful and cost her some of her savings.
    Last edited by Halae; 2019-07-06 at 04:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah, course," Jack says. "But...look, we need to look through this house first. See if we can find...what's left of any of the victims. If you can't be part of that, I understand - but it needs done. Before the fire spreads any further."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

"... Yeah. Yeah, you're right," Bethany takes a deep breath, and starts walking towards the burning house. She rolls up her trenchcoat and sweater sleeves together on her arm, layering them over each other until they cling to her arm tightly. Might not be enough to stop the bleeding entirely, or make this arm useful for anything but pain, but it should at least slow the flow.

Bethany may surprise Jack somewhat by casually using her gravity magic to move things out of the way; she has a truly ludicrous amount of power at her disposal, and as long as she's careful she can just keep using small expressions of her power. She'll head in through the hole the wendigo came out of, looking for signs of anything surviving in this mess of debris, fire, and broken life. She'll try to follow the path it had to take to get out; given what it is, that's the most likely place to find anybody remaining.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Jack not only seems unfazed by Bethany's casual display of power, he actually contributes some himself, using minor efforts of will to dampen the worst of the fires that she doesn't throw aside. It's not much, but it does help. The remaining flames, he simply walks through, his enchanted coat seeming to shrug aside the heat without too much issue.

Where the wendigo emerged, the two wizards find a trapdoor leading down to a basement. Once down there, Jack summons a small magical light that looks suspiciously similar to a streetlight. It shows a grim scene. Three corpses, one of them a child, are arranged around the room, all horribly mutilated and partially eaten. There are also several mutilated animal bodies. Then there are three human-sized cages are lined up against the opposite wall from the ladder down. In the first one is a middle-aged man who is huddled in the corner furthest from the entrance; his hands have been torn off, his naked body is covered in heavy bruises, and his arms are broken in so many places that they form fluid curves rather than straight lines. He whimpers and moans constantly, and doesn't seem to have registered your arrival at all. The second contains a girl, perhaps fourteen, similarly naked, but the tortures visited on her are very different. Her face saw the worst of it: her eyes, ears, and nose are all gone. Her mouth is torn open and the teeth removed much like the body in the rage room, along with the tongue. She has her hands, which she is using to claw at her own skin: arms, torso, legs. They are all already covered in scratches, the skin shredded, all by her own nails. She makes a horrid gurgling noise as you descend into the basement; what it is supposed to mean is impossible to say.

In the third cage is a girl, sixteen or so, who bears a striking resemblance to the young Tribesman that Bethany met at the Sanctuary. She is naked, and covered in bruises almost as heavy as those on the first man. Her long hair is tangled and matted, soaked in blood and excrement. One eye appears to have been gouged out with something dull, but the other is still present, blue and bruised. One leg is crushed and mangled below the knee, with no toes.

For all that, though, there is a sudden spark of hope in this otherwise hopeless place. Because she looks up at you as you walk in, and there's still a mind behind that cornflower blue eye. She stares, incredulous, and then she grins with half her teeth still present, and then she laughs. It's a strange sound - horrid and gurgling, but at the same time, there's such an incredulous joy in it that it makes the heart sing. "Y-you aren't the m-monster," she says, the words thick and clumsy, but understandable. "S-someone c-came. You c-came for me...."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Bethany lets a breath heave out of her lungs. The other two... they're as good as dead; they'll never be whole again mentally. It'll be better to leave them. But just this one thing - someone who's been saved, even if she's beaten and maimed - it makes this entire thing worth it, and for the moment, Bethany's rage is quelled. It's muffled at the back, replaced by real relief at the girl being alive and still in control of her senses. She'll never walk again, but she can see, she can talk, and she can still get through this.

"Yeah. Your brother sent us to get you out. We killed the monster; it won't be hurting anybody anymore," Not completely true, as it was only banished, and he didn't actually send the two of them, but one doesn't try that kind of technicality on someone in this kind of position, "Stay away from the door for a second, I'm gonna get rid of the lock."

Assuming the girl complies, she reaches down to the lock and uses her magic to make it crumple in on itself, so that she might open it. Bethany will then unroll her trenchcoat sleeve so she can take the whole thing off and hand it to the boy's sister, "Here, Nadine, put this on, and we'll get you to a hospital. Jack, help me get her out of here?" Beth will do it on her own if necessary, but Jack seems like the kind of guy that'll help with this.
    Last edited by Halae; 2019-07-06 at 06:49 AM.