New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Microscope Ancient Fantasy

This is the Ancient Fantasy Microscope Game! On the table for future Timelines of Microscope are: Ancient History, General Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and others.

We're starting with the Maybes and Nevers. I'll start, so here's my addition to the Maybes:
    Maybe Never
    Everyone is capable of some level of magic abilities

After this will be the Beginning-End stage, after which we'll continue thusly:
    1 Everyone chooses something freely twice
    2 Add 1 thing based on Lens' theme, and Lens adds a nested pair
    3 Everyone chooses 1 thing freely
    4 Add 1 thing based on Lens' theme, and Lens adds a nested pair
    5 Everyone chooses 1 thing freely
    and then repeat #2-5 over and over.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-03-07 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Microscope Ancient Fantasy

Maybe Never
    Everyone is capable of some level of magic abilities
    A variety of exotic tameable creatures/mounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Maybe Never
    Everyone is capable of some level of magic abilities. There are no true prophecies.
    A variety of exotic tameable creatures/mounts.
    Last edited by Ultharian; 2018-03-07 at 04:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGirl

Maybe Never
    Everyone is capable of some level of magic abilities. There are no true prophecies.
    A variety of exotic tameable creatures/mounts. No-one is capable of using all forms of magic.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Maybe Never
    A variety of exotic tameable creatures/mounts. No-one is capable of using all forms of magic.
    No dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe Never
    Fairies/ Elemental spirits/ Nymphs No dragons.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe Never
    Gods
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe Never
    Gods
    Giants
    Last edited by Captain Coffee; 2018-03-07 at 08:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Maybe Never
    Gods
    Giants
    Ancient Astronauts

Remember these are totally up for discussion, so if that's not something folks like, say so. I think it'd be fascinating to see a setting where early, early civilization and empire building could reach the moon via magic, but I recognize that not everone would agree.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I'll give until everyone else has added a second one or has abstained or tomorrow to continue to the Beginning-End section.

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

Maybe Never
    Gods No highly-advanced cultures/aliens.
    Giants
    Ancient Astronauts

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ultharian View Post
    Remember these are totally up for discussion, so if that's not something folks like, say so. I think it'd be fascinating to see a setting where early, early civilization and empire building could reach the moon via magic, but I recognize that not everone would agree.
    I like that idea, personally. The look of the earth and moon looking all like a hydrochloric acid molecule is satisfying.

13. - Top - End - #13

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    I like that idea, personally. The look of the earth and moon looking all like a hydrochloric acid molecule is satisfying.

The only thing I wouldn't want to see there is anything approaching modern technology in how people get to the moon. If it's clearly magical/fantastic, then that's ok by me.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post
    The only thing I wouldn't want to see there is anything approaching modern technology in how people get to the moon. If it's clearly magical/fantastic, then that's ok by me.
    I agree!

I was less thinking about some giant tower-connecting-the-spheres (not sure where that came from) than any number of myths where people are kicked, thrown, banished, or fly to the moon.

For instance, we could have the city of Babylon trying to breed smaller, more controllable rocs (as in the giant birds) for their lunar roc-ette program.

...And now, I flee!

15. - Top - End - #15

WolfInSheepsClothing

I thought you were talking about the Psuedo-Scientific theory of Ancient Astronauts where aliens come to earth in prehistoric or ancient times. I just wanted to make sure we weren't going full science fiction with the concept this early. It's all good!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I thought you were talking about the Psuedo-Scientific theory of Ancient Astronauts where aliens come to earth in prehistoric or ancient times. I just wanted to make sure we weren't going full science fiction with the concept this early. It's all good!
    Whoa. I remember it now, and I'm sure that's why I chose the phrase subconsciously!

But no, I agree with you, about not wanting high-tech cultures or aliens. I was suggesting crazy things like the Rabbit in the Moon, or Sinbad's Voyages, or diverse other myths that involve travel to the moon and back. :) So I welcome your addition!
    Last edited by Ultharian; 2018-03-08 at 02:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maybe Never
    Gods No highly-advanced cultures/aliens.
    Giants Returning to life once dead
    Ancient Astronauts

I’ve seen enough marvel movies, I don’t need anymore of that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so ideas on what the beginning and end of the timeline should be?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Do we have any theme beyond just 'Ancient History'?

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

One of the commonalities of ancient storytelling is a creation myth. So the creation of the world seems like a good place to start.

I like the idea of the ending being a milestone in human history, maybe even the transition from an ancient world to a medieval or modern world. The core idea being that no matter what hardships happen during the story, progress will always win out. Things will always move forward.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Do we have any theme beyond just 'Ancient History'?
    Beyond that, not at the moment, no.

One of the commonalities of ancient storytelling is a creation myth. So the creation of the world seems like a good place to start.

I like the idea of the ending being a milestone in human history, maybe even the transition from an ancient world to a medieval or modern world. The core idea being that no matter what hardships happen during the story, progress will always win out. Things will always move forward.
    I like it. It gives us a good place to start for a continuation of this timeline after we've crammed in all we can into likely hundreds of thousands of years worth of timeline.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I think that 'Creation Myth' is a great starting point! It gets the gods on the stage, as well as setting some initial ideas about our people.

I think Medieval era is a maybe for the endpoint, but I'm not sure. It seems pretty far from 'Creation.'

Maybe an 'Age of Empires'?

Roughly talking mid-iron age, Rome, Egypt, Greece, etc...When the first really big 'world-spanning' governments come into being. I think my concern with the Medieval period is that it's actually viewed by some people as a 'descent' from those earlier empires (which is ridiculous) to the extent of being labeled in some books as 'the Dark Ages.'

Thoughts?

23. - Top - End - #23

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think that 'Creation Myth' is a great starting point! It gets the gods on the stage, as well as setting some initial ideas about our people.

I think Medieval era is a maybe for the endpoint, but I'm not sure. It seems pretty far from 'Creation.'

Maybe an 'Age of Empires'?

Roughly talking mid-iron age, Rome, Egypt, Greece, etc...When the first really big 'world-spanning' governments come into being. I think my concern with the Medieval period is that it's actually viewed by some people as a 'descent' from those earlier empires (which is ridiculous) to the extent of being labeled in some books as 'the Dark Ages.'

Thoughts?
    In my experience Microscope does long periods of time very easily. It's not terribly difficult to handle hundreds of years in a single period by only hitting on the bullet-points.

I wasn't thinking of the middle ages as a descent either, that's why I mentioned progress. Civilization made huge strides in the middle ages, it's true that plagues were a real issue that caused societal devastation, but Dark Ages is a misnomer for sure.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

In my experience Microscope does long periods of time very easily. It's not terribly difficult to handle hundreds of years in a single period by only hitting on the bullet-points.

I wasn't thinking of the middle ages as a descent either, that's why I mentioned progress. Civilization made huge strides in the middle ages, it's true that plagues were a real issue that caused societal devastation, but Dark Ages is a misnomer for sure.
    I have no experience with Microscope, so I defer to you!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

While I like a creation myth as a starting point I’m not so sure on a medieval period as an idea for the ending, partially because it’s very subjective. If we were using this in our timeline when would it be? The collapse of the Roman Empire? Charlemagne building his empire? 1066 is another point I’ve seen used. And at this point no huge earth shattering changes were happening in other places, even in nearby nations like Byzantium or the near east.

I think if we want a good ending point we should make it a little bit more global.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2018-03-09 at 04:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

What do you suggest then that wouldn't be too specific?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

To me, the question of where to end depends largely on the way we intend to use this world, or whether we intend to use this world, when we are done. If we are going to play another game in this world, I would prefer to end as the world is starting to become a more stable and organized place, but hasn't fully arrived yet. A world where some civilizations have risen and fallen, and is on the edge of something new. That new thing could be empires like Rome or it could be feudalism, but if we are gaming in the setting, I'd like this to end before we fully arrive. Does that make sense?

If our intention is just to play a cool game of microscope, I'm good with ending anywhere.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Coffee View Post
    To me, the question of where to end depends largely on the way we intend to use this world, or whether we intend to use this world, when we are done. If we are going to play another game in this world, I would prefer to end as the world is starting to become a more stable and organized place, but hasn't fully arrived yet. A world where some civilizations have risen and fallen, and is on the edge of something new. That new thing could be empires like Rome or it could be feudalism, but if we are gaming in the setting, I'd like this to end before we fully arrive. Does that make sense?

If our intention is just to play a cool game of microscope, I'm good with ending anywhere.
    That makes sense, and I like your idea.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    What do you suggest then that wouldn't be too specific?
    Well if a fall of Rome happened on a larger scale that would be pretty specific, although the idea of the capitals of empire’s falling one by one against plagues and barbarism is a little dark. Perhaps carry on through the early medical and then the invention of a new life changing device in the proto-Renaissance.

30. - Top - End - #30

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Coffee View Post

If we do this again, I'd rather leave it open to doing something different, going through the vote process again.