New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Spellbook creation. 2nd ed Ad&d

I took the proficiencies of paper making and book binding from spells and magic so I could create my own spellbooks. I cant find any relevant information on it except for the price. Any legit sources from 2nd ed ravenloft or homebrew that make sense around?
    Last edited by elementalsigil; 2018-03-08 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Spellbook creation. 2nd ed Ad&d

None that I know of, no. 2e did not, as I recall, go deeply into it, save for the occasional "Well, this type of wizard uses WEIRD spellbooks"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

uh...only from day one

Try the magic section of the DMG (sorry 2 versions means quoting page #'s is a pain)

"Spell Book Cost
    The one thing all spell books have in common is their cost. Book are never cheap, and a wizard's spell book are more expensive than most.
    For the materials and their preparation, the wizard must pay 50 gp per page. Traveling spell books, which are even more compact, cost 100 gp per page."

"How Many Pages in a Spell Book?
    Each spell requires a number of pages equal to its level plus 0-5 (ld6-I) additional pages. The actual number of pages a spell takes differs for each wizard. Even if two or more wizards are recording the same spell, the number of pages varies, since there are differences in handwriting and notations."

Spellbook max 100 pgs
    Scroll max 25
    Travelling book max 50

Edit: bookbinding mentions the cost & references chapter 7 DMG I now see. Didn't even read the profs?
    Last edited by CE DM; 2018-03-09 at 09:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CE DM View Post
    uh...only from day one

Try the magic section of the DMG (sorry 2 versions means quoting page #'s is a pain)

"Spell Book Cost
    The one thing all spell books have in common is their cost. Book are never cheap, and a wizard's spell book are more expensive than most.
    For the materials and their preparation, the wizard must pay 50 gp per page. Traveling spell books, which are even more compact, cost 100 gp per page."

"How Many Pages in a Spell Book?
    Each spell requires a number of pages equal to its level plus 0-5 (ld6-I) additional pages. The actual number of pages a spell takes differs for each wizard. Even if two or more wizards are recording the same spell, the number of pages varies, since there are differences in handwriting and notations."

Spellbook max 100 pgs
    Scroll max 25
    Travelling book max 50

Edit: bookbinding mentions the cost & references chapter 7 DMG I now see. Didn't even read the profs?
    DMG just references the costs related to scribing spells and scrolls. As far as creating the books themselves, I believe that the PHB contains Glue pricing under trade goods and I know that it lists the prices for parchment and for paper.
    I would suggest that the ability to make paper and bind books would probably allow you to craft books "at-cost" out of the materials. Then sell them for profit. There's literally nothing special about a spell-book itself, all the significant costs are derived from scribing the spells themselves.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

That is not what I take from those direct quotes, nor from the descriptions of the proficiency/skills to be used. YMMV, of course.

"Normally, a wizard must pay a bookbinder 50 gp per page for a standard spell book, or 100 gp per page for a traveling spell book—see Chapter 7 of the DMG. A wizard who does this work himself reduces these costs by 50%,"

"A wizard who makes his own paper can reduce the costs of manufacturing a spell book by 50%, although this requires one to two weeks of time and a suitable work area. Normally, a traveling spell book costs 100 gp per page, and a standard spell book costs 50 gp per page. If the wizard also knows the bookbinding nonweapon proficiency and binds the volume himself, the cost of the spell book is reduced by 75% altogether."
    Last edited by CE DM; 2018-03-18 at 10:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

@CE DM I misread your post. I thought you had posted the entirety of the material for reference, didn't realize you hadn't quoted Chapter 7

Mea culpa.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

No worries...I did indeed try to "cut the fat" & only post the most relevant parts. Once upon a time I tended to post whole text blocks, and provide proper notations, but few ever bothered to use them (or even read them), etc, so I've become more "lax" & streamline things as well.