New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Pure Hexblade build

I know people are crazy about using the Hexblade as a dip, but I have a character concept that doesn't work with Multiclassing. For similar reasons, I'd like the build to be race agnostic. I think the basics of the build are pretty straightforward: max charisma, get heavy armor, blade based invocations, and smack face. But I'm a little hung up on specifics.

We are beginning Curse of Strahd at level 3, and I know I'm going to take improved Pact Weapon and probably manifest it as a greatsword. We also get a free feat so I was thinking of GWM. I'm not sure if I should just do the old darkness/devil's sight thing. I'm kind of tempted not to, especially as at level 5 I may trade out devil's sight for Eldritch Smite anyway.

Probably going for hex and armor of agathys, not sure what else.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Pure Hexblade build

Convice your party to all take a two level dip into warlock to grab that devil sight then darkness cheese

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jjadned View Post
    Convice your party to all take a two level dip into warlock to grab that devil sight then darkness cheese
    Two thirds of the party will be warlocks actually, so it's not unviable, but it is cheese.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

I’m playing a pure Hexblade in AL, allow me to share my thoughts if I may?

- Went for a skirmisher Darkness/Devil’s Sight strategy (can Strahd see in magical darkness? If not he can’t target you with spells). Upgrade to Shadow of Moil at lvl 7. He definitely can’t see past that unless he has true seeing.

- Feats are (vHuman) PAM/GWM for the massive damage potential with constant Advantage. So it’s really playing to DPS strengths.

- Invocations are Improved Pact Weapon (Magical Glaive are rare as hens teeth I find), Devil’s Sight and Thirsting Blade. At lvl 7 took Tomb of Levistus, as a pure Hexblade it’s a very once per short rest strong panic button.

It’s worked out quite well actually.
    Last edited by prototype00; 2018-03-10 at 12:10 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I'm currently digging the idea of PAM, but using Hex, Warcaster, and Booming Blade instead of the usual darkness shenanigans. Seems more party friendly. I don't really know what to do with my second invocation, so I guess I COULD do the Devil's Sight thing on top of all that, but eh.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

One thing to remember is that Hexblade does perfectly well without a weapon. Yes, it's the best option for a melee Warlock to get a lovely glaive with GWM and PAM and all that, but the good stuff with marking a foe, critting on 19-20 and adding your proficiency bonus to damage works just as well with good old Eldritch Blast as it does with a blade. Darkness + Devil's Sight shouldn't be overlooked as a potent combination, and you can stop it from getting in the way of allies by standing well off to the side and shooting Eldritch Blasts from afar from within your cloud of darkness. If an enemy chases you in, trying to stop you from your machine gunning, that's when you whip out the weapon. Worst case scenario and your party is stuck with you in your Darkness, remind everyone that advantage and disadvantage cancel out so as long as they know the square to target (and you can probably shout it out to them in the middle of your turn) then they're rolling normally since they are unseen by their target but cannot see their target.

With a free feat, my vote is actually for Elven Accuracy, taken on a Half-Elf base (good for Warlocks anyway) or Drow (for that Cha boost and extra use of Darkness). Darkness + Devil's Sight + Elven Accuracy means rolling three d20s for every attack. It'll be uncommon for you ever to miss, and don't be surprised to crit often with that 19-20 range. And unlike the rigmarole of GWM + PAM it'll be a combo available to you from the moment you begin play, so you can use it as much as you like. It's terrible when you have some awesome combination planned but it only really gets going at level 12, and you start at level 3.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    One thing to remember is that Hexblade does perfectly well without a weapon. Yes, it's the best option for a melee Warlock to get a lovely glaive with GWM and PAM and all that, but the good stuff with marking a foe, critting on 19-20 and adding your proficiency bonus to damage works just as well with good old Eldritch Blast as it does with a blade. Darkness + Devil's Sight shouldn't be overlooked as a potent combination, and you can stop it from getting in the way of allies by standing well off to the side and shooting Eldritch Blasts from afar from within your cloud of darkness. If an enemy chases you in, trying to stop you from your machine gunning, that's when you whip out the weapon. Worst case scenario and your party is stuck with you in your Darkness, remind everyone that advantage and disadvantage cancel out so as long as they know the square to target (and you can probably shout it out to them in the middle of your turn) then they're rolling normally since they are unseen by their target but cannot see their target.

With a free feat, my vote is actually for Elven Accuracy, taken on a Half-Elf base (good for Warlocks anyway) or Drow (for that Cha boost and extra use of Darkness). Darkness + Devil's Sight + Elven Accuracy means rolling three d20s for every attack. It'll be uncommon for you ever to miss, and don't be surprised to crit often with that 19-20 range. And unlike the rigmarole of GWM + PAM it'll be a combo available to you from the moment you begin play, so you can use it as much as you like. It's terrible when you have some awesome combination planned but it only really gets going at level 12, and you start at level 3.
    For story reasons, racial feats are out. And I'd like to keep the focus on the blade for the most part for related reasoins, though I will gladly use EB as a ranged option. I'm not especially concerned about the choice of race, but will probably go half-elf. I do have a free starting feat though, so PAM or GWM feel like the best choices.

I suppose Darkness isn't as bad as I initially thought, but I still have mixed feelings on it. I should probably talk to my DM to see how he feels about it. If it is going to get on his nerves I think I should avoid it.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 2018-03-11 at 04:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I'm currently digging the idea of PAM, but using Hex, Warcaster, and Booming Blade instead of the usual darkness shenanigans. Seems more party friendly. I don't really know what to do with my second invocation, so I guess I COULD do the Devil's Sight thing on top of all that, but eh.
    Note: Booming Blade can only be used at 5ft range by the spell description, so that limits usefulness for Warcaster opportunity attacks, I’ve found.

Also it doesn’t combine well eventually with the Thirsting Blade invocation for your second attack at 5th level (indeed, Booming Blade seems to be a less popular choice for Bladelocks in general, it would seem).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by prototype00 View Post
    Note: Booming Blade can only be used at 5ft range by the spell description, so that limits usefulness for Warcaster opportunity attacks, I’ve found.

Also it doesn’t combine well eventually with the Thirsting Blade invocation for your second attack at 5th level (indeed, Booming Blade seems to be a less popular choice for Bladelocks in general, it would seem).
    Dang, good call on the range. Warcaster isn't as appealing then. Maybe I oughta go with the GWM over PAM. Feels like I may not be able to count on keeping hex up.

10. - Top - End - #10

MonkGuy

Dang, good call on the range. Warcaster isn't as appealing then. Maybe I oughta go with the GWM over PAM. Feels like I may not be able to count on keeping hex up.
    Well I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that you can get around the restriction with the Spell Sniper feat, but that’s a lot of resources you are pouring into that hole.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by prototype00 View Post
    Well I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that you can get around the restriction with the Spell Sniper feat, but that’s a lot of resources you are pouring into that hole.
    Yeah, no thanks on that.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what to take for my second invocation. It seems like whatever I'm gonna get will probably wind up getting replaced so I can have the full set of Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade, and Eldritch Smite when I hit 5th.

12. - Top - End - #12

MonkGuy

Hmm let’s see:

1st: PAM feat
    2nd: Devil’s Sight, Fiendish Vigor
    3rd: Switched out Fiendish Vigor for Improved Pact Weapon
    4th: GWM feat
    5th: Thirsting Blade

Is how I did it, but I was a Darkness Devil’s Sight Bladelock.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

For story reasons, racial feats are out. And I'd like to keep the focus on the blade for the most part for related reasoins, though I will gladly use EB as a ranged option. I'm not especially concerned about the choice of race, but will probably go half-elf. I do have a free starting feat though, so PAM or GWM feel like the best choices.

I suppose Darkness isn't as bad as I initially thought, but I still have mixed feelings on it. I should probably talk to my DM to see how he feels about it. If it is going to get on his nerves I think I should avoid it.
    The biggest issue with Darkness isn't the DM, it's your fellow players. And frankly they're right to be annoyed by it. Even though it cancels out advantage/disadvantage, it takes away a lot of goodies your teammates may have. Spell casters are stuck with no line of sight. Even though "mechanically" it should work ok in melee, it doesn't really hold up to the fictional narrative...a bunch of people fighting in total and complete darkness? how do you tell friend from foe? skillful attacks are now blind punches. It sucks.

Also, it puts you in the center of every fight, and while that's great for the ego, it's terrible for teammates. In any team-oriented game it's important to step up into the spotlight when it's your turn, but it's just as important to shine that light upon others when it's theirs. It's ironic that Darkness is the spell that most glaringly shines that spot light on one player. DM's have to alter plans to accommodate it and teammates have to alter playstyles as well. There are probably a dozen threads on this MB dedicated solely to Darkness, no spell is more divisive at a table. Besides which at 7th level Shadow of Moil accomplishes the same thing, but without all the trouble for others...just wait till then. As always, you don't win D&D, you play it. Keep it fun for everyone.

It is a great class and lots of fun. You can get a ton out of it without having to mess with Darkness.

14. - Top - End - #14

MonkGuy

Just Skirmish with it, be tactical and don’t block lines of sight. Same as every other ability. It’s not rocket science.

I’ve actually had players run into the darkness when their turn was over so they couldn’t be targeted by sight-based-spells! So it’s actually quite helpful at times.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Just hit level 5. :) My character is actually the sword itself, who makes pacts with people with promises of something they want and fulfills it while also completely taking over their mind. Because I'm somewhat prone to getting my hosts killed and being rendered a mere talking sword that can't move, I opted to bump charisma to 18 at level 4.

My current host's vice is vanity, so I'm currently stuck with Many Faces. This means I can't take the thirsting blade/improved pact weapon/eldritch smite trifecta. Currently learning towards taking the first two until I can find another magic heavy weapon to "fuse" with. (That's how I'm flavoring basic "bond with an existing weapon" part of the blade pact.) I REALLY want smite, but we just got a Paladin and I have other things I can use my slots for. I just really want to smite into GWM swings. I'm thinking my next invocation after smite will probably be relentless hex.

Current spells are:

EB
    GFB
    Blade ward

Hex
    AoA

Mirror image
    Suggestion

Thunderstep
    Blink

I'm not entirely satisfied with that loadout. Feels very heavy on defensive buffs that don't stack amazingly well. What I really want is damage resistance to go with AoA. But I don't think there's a second level spell I really want over mirror image, so I might just wait to trade it out. Blink is a pretty flavorful choice because my last host was essentially sniped from the ethereal plane, but I do like the imagery quite a bit.

I've been avoiding concentration spells because my concentration save isn't great for for a frontliner with 17 AC. Elemental Weapon looked kinda tempting but I don't know that it is worth it given that consideration. Feels like I may as well use the old hex through the short rest for my concentration instead.

Any suggestions?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just hit level 5. :) My character is actually the sword itself, who makes pacts with people with promises of something they want and fulfills it while also completely taking over their mind. Because I'm somewhat prone to getting my hosts killed and being rendered a mere talking sword that can't move, I opted to bump charisma to 18 at level 4.

My current host's vice is vanity, so I'm currently stuck with Many Faces. This means I can't take the thirsting blade/improved pact weapon/eldritch smite trifecta. Currently learning towards taking the first two until I can find another magic heavy weapon to "fuse" with. (That's how I'm flavoring basic "bond with an existing weapon" part of the blade pact.) I REALLY want smite, but we just got a Paladin and I have other things I can use my slots for. I just really want to smite into GWM swings. I'm thinking my next invocation after smite will probably be relentless hex.

Current spells are:

EB
    GFB
    Blade ward

Hex
    AoA

Mirror image
    Suggestion

Thunderstep
    Blink

I'm not entirely satisfied with that loadout. Feels very heavy on defensive buffs that don't stack amazingly well. What I really want is damage resistance to go with AoA. But I don't think there's a second level spell I really want over mirror image, so I might just wait to trade it out. Blink is a pretty flavorful choice because my last host was essentially sniped from the ethereal plane, but I do like the imagery quite a bit.

I've been avoiding concentration spells because my concentration save isn't great for for a frontliner with 17 AC. Elemental Weapon looked kinda tempting but I don't know that it is worth it given that consideration. Feels like I may as well use the old hex through the short rest for my concentration instead.

Any suggestions?
    If most of your incoming damage could be prevented by running darkness then take and run darkness. You can’t fail concentration saves you don’t have to make

Use (in your case “become”) a pole-arm, the reach will make skirmishes easier and give you much more freedom in where you place the ball-o-safety-and-frustration at the end of every turn.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritchaser View Post
    If most of your incoming damage could be prevented by running darkness then take and run darkness. You can’t fail concentration saves you don’t have to make

Use (in your case “become”) a pole-arm, the reach will make skirmishes easier and give you much more freedom in where you place the ball-o-safety-and-frustration at the end of every turn.
    I don't have room for Devil's Sight without giving up Thirsting Blade or Improved Pact Weapon. I'm skeptical that is a worthy trade when I have 2 other melee folks in the party and a Agonizing Blaster as well.

Also, Darkness prevents me from running anything else concentration based, so it strictly doesn't solve the problem of giving me more freedom to use other concentration spells. As is, I don't inherently mind getting hit because it can proc my AoA and draw fire from allies. Now, once Shadow of Moil becomes a thing, that seems worth taking.

I do want to become a pole-arm though-- was just thinking I'd wait until I could get PAM though. Reach doesn't QUITE seem worth the damage die drop.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 2018-07-12 at 08:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Well, poo. Dimensional travel is messed up, and I'm gonna have to replace Blink.