New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default does 2nd still have support by users.

so does 2nd still have support by users like well made home brew and rule fixes
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: does 2nd still have support by users.

Some. 2e is a little lost in the OSR, too late to be considered entirely "old school", but to early to have OGL content like 3e. Most of the OSR (Old School Renaissance) retro-clone games are clones of Original D&D, Basic D&D, or AD&D (1e). The only 2e retro-clone I know of is For Gold and Glory, so there's that, and you could check it out. That said, 2e, particularly early 2e material, is just a clean-up of 1e and the systems are quite compatible. So any new material put out for, say OSRIC, is totally usable in a 2e campaign. Dragonsfoot.org also has a fairly active 2e board where people discuss home brew rules and such, and in general is a great site for folks interested in playing TSR-era D&D.

3. - Top - End - #3

EvilClericGuy

Dragonsfoot.org has been mentioned.

The thepiazza.org.uk is a separate forum that sees steady activity.

There's a metric ton of Facebook pages, some more active than others.

And there's drivethrurpg and the whole catalog of TSR/WotC 2ED library in all it's glory.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

And, of course, folks around here talk about and post stuff a lot. I have some 2e-compatible stuff on my blog, and post the occasional bit in Homebrew. AND, because 1e and 2e are so compatible, you can use a lot of 1e stuff without much alteration.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Less than most other editions, but enough one can find all the advice they might want

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    And, of course, folks around here talk about and post stuff a lot. I have some 2e-compatible stuff on my blog, and post the occasional bit in Homebrew. AND, because 1e and 2e are so compatible, you can use a lot of 1e stuff without much alteration.
    While there are some important differences between AD&D and D&D like in the Rulescyclopedia they are also very compatible. I remember running an AD&D 2e game using an adventure for RC D&D and at the time not knowing that it was not for AD&D though I did notice some weird things such as all the elves seemed to have a class of elf but I just thought it was just short hand to not have to describe each combo of classes each time and the fact they were all fighter/mages was a coincidence (I was young so sue me).
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    While there are some important differences between AD&D and D&D like in the Rulescyclopedia they are also very compatible. I remember running an AD&D 2e game using an adventure for RC D&D and at the time not knowing that it was not for AD&D though I did notice some weird things such as all the elves seemed to have a class of elf but I just thought it was just short hand to not have to describe each combo of classes each time and the fact they were all fighter/mages was a coincidence (I was young so sue me).
    All the TSR versions are fairly compatible, so long as you pick a ruleset and go with it (even if your ruleset winds up mixed and matched). It creates a great breadth of material to work with.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    All the TSR versions are fairly compatible, so long as you pick a ruleset and go with it (even if your ruleset winds up mixed and matched). It creates a great breadth of material to work with.
    I wind up with a weird mishmash of rules from all of the TSR editions personally, plus a few elements of a couple of retroclones (Hackmaster is a big one), but it still kinda works since the system's so heavily modular.