New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 15: The Beach Episode

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Surprised by the lack of mention that the schedule for the new FLCL was announced. FLCL Progressive – June and FLCL Alternative – September. Also a new trailer. https://youtu.be/lleTz_DQTh4
    It looks fun. It seems as though it maintains the spirit of the original series, so I'm hopeful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh hey here's some manga news. Ziga, a cool monster movie manga, just started release. It's pretty cool. No idea where it's gonna go, but it's cool.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Yuru Camp ended today, which means I'm sad now. It seems the show has garnered a lot of popularity in Japan, enough that it may gain a second season (manga is continuing), but for now, I will just say that the ending was perfect. The atmosphere in the show, especially the end, is something I've never seen in a show.

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san also ended today. All I will say about that is I managed to force myself to watch it all.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Darling in the Franxx... I dunno, very mixed feelings on this one. I'm giving it one more episode to impress me but I think I may still drop it. I feel it just takes itself too seriously for what it is and it makes me feel uncomfortable somehow.
    I think I heard a conspiracy theory that Darling is part of a plot to help stimulate Japan's declining birthrate. Which would explain a lot, admittedly.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    I think I heard a conspiracy theory that Darling is part of a plot to help stimulate Japan's declining birthrate. Which would explain a lot, admittedly.
    Does it? Because there is very little about that show that makes me want to procreate. I've heard the same hypothesis floated around "Sweetness and Lightning", however, and it makes sense for that one.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

So... Satoshi Mizukami is writing an anime?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

The image with the mecha and the three kids wouldn't have caught my attention but if it is Satoshi Mizukami I guess I will have to watch it. (author of: Hoshi no Samidare/Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Spirit Circle, Sengoku Youko )

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. Well, good for him.

Between this and Tsutomu Nihei's TOA Heavy Industries now on the way to being an actual company that really exists, 2018's looking to be . . . Something, I guess.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Does it? Because there is very little about that show that makes me want to procreate. I've heard the same hypothesis floated around "Sweetness and Lightning", however, and it makes sense for that one.
    I wouldn't know about that. I'm not Japanese, and also not a teenager, so I can't tell how well the messages/themes/etc. actually resonates with its target demo, but I've certainly found it more interesting as it's gone on.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Well that idea has a dark corollary.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Like the "Nihon Hikikomori Kyōkai" idea in Welcome to the NHK?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Darling has dark undercurrents in general...which seems to be deliberate (thankfully). I don't know what the recent episodes changed but the show has redeemed itself in my eyes...Probably because they toned down the metaphor a bit.

I doubt the conspiracy, but I wouldn't say the show is above social commentary on that point. The main cast is noted as "test subjects" and otherwise marked as abnormal for having something approaching normal human relations, while what little we see of the adults in-series is that they do not care for human contact at all. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a jab at the birthrate.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2018-03-24 at 03:29 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    That put tears on my eyes. I guess I couldn't die yet.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Like the "Nihon Hikikomori Kyōkai" idea in Welcome to the NHK?
    Darling has dark undercurrents in general...which seems to be deliberate (thankfully).
    I mean that if shows like Sweetness and Lightning are meant to promote an increase in the birth rate by showing otaku how cute kids being raised by single dads are, there's a danger of a corresponding increase in maternal mortality rates.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean that if shows like Sweetness and Lightning are meant to promote an increase in the birth rate by showing otaku how cute kids being raised by single dads are, there's a danger of a corresponding increase in maternal mortality rates.
    OH....wow ok. That's a corollary and a half, no wonder it went over my head.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Oh that's...that's a baseball, right there. Someone ding me when this is out so I can watch it forever.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Along the same lines, there are some shows about adult characters first spending time together (e.g. as coworkers, living together) and then getting together. Their interactions before officially getting together could basically show them as a couple, any way. Again, it's not exactly what you want, but it has similar themes.
    Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon is basically this. Dragons-masquerading-as-humans are used to view normal life through a stranger's view, and as stand-ins for queer couples in Japan, and for honestly funny comedy sketches.
    Miss Kobayashi is an overworked programmer who starts living with a dragon as a maid/"housewife", and soon another as an adopted daughter, and more dragons in her circle of friends & acquaintances. The story ignores dating, but shows them learning to care for each other and living together.
    I had been thinking about watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid for other reasons, and this pushed it to the top of my list. I'm a few episodes in, and enjoying it very much.

"So pretty."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

I had been thinking about watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid for other reasons, and this pushed it to the top of my list. I'm a few episodes in, and enjoying it very much.

"So pretty."
    That's good to hear! It has its faults, but most of it is just so comfortable and nice.

19. - Top - End - #49

Well, A Place Further Than The Universe (a.k.a. Tryhard Camping) stuck the landing and goes down as one of the best anime I've seen in years, possibly ever. I essentially don't have any criticisms of it - I can see how it might not particularly appeal to someone, but it doesn't really have anything I'd point to as a flaw. Good drama, good characters, good humour, emotional depth, expressive and distinctive animation, beautiful scenery, affecting and important themes that are underrepresented in media generally, much less in anime specifically. It's simultaneously firmly grounded and totally out there in premise. It's definitely one of the most recommendable shows I can think of - accessible and free of all-too-common elements you might need to warn a skeptical viewer about. Plus, there are penguins.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, A Place Further Than The Universe (a.k.a. Tryhard Camping) stuck the landing and goes down as one of the best anime I've seen in years, possibly ever.
    I've heard good things about A Place Further Than The Universe from several sources now. I'll probably watch it soon. If it's any good, however, I'd like to be able to recommend it to people who can't read subtitles. I think it's a Crunchyroll exclusive. Is being a Crunchyroll exclusive correlated with getting or not getting an English dub based on past examples? I haven't been carefully following Crunchyroll and Funimation's streaming services for very long, and some quick general Google searches didn't get me an answer.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I've heard good things about A Place Further Than The Universe from several sources now. I'll probably watch it soon. If it's any good, however, I'd like to be able to recommend it to people who can't read subtitles. I think it's a Crunchyroll exclusive. Is being a Crunchyroll exclusive correlated with getting or not getting an English dub based on past examples? I haven't been carefully following Crunchyroll and Funimation's streaming services for very long, and some quick general Google searches didn't get me an answer.
    Crunchyroll exclusive gives a it a better chance of getting a future dub, since they've got a deal with Funimation. I'm shooting for Sora Yori or Yuru Camp to get a future dub, both are fantastic shows.

Final results of the season:

10/10 - A Place Further than the Universe: Mostly for the same reasons I gave Toradora the same score. Shows that can make me laugh and cry at the same time sometimes, with fantastic characters. Without the romance of course. Only my fourth 10/10, out of about a hundred shows.
    9/10 - Yuru Camp: The only real issue I had with this show is, while Rin and Nadeshiko are amazing and easily carry it, it would have been nice to see more of the rest of the cast. I couldn't tell you much about them because they weren't as prominent.
    8/10 - Mitsuboshi Colors: This show got funnier as it went on, and I was surprised at how much I laughed. Kotoha is morbidly hilarious. I think this show got overlooked because it was on Hidive. Worth checking out. Now to wait for the artist's next show, Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu.
    7/10 - Katana Maidens (dub) (10/24 episodes): Lot of people dumped this show early, really early. It's slow moving, but it's getting better and better as it goes. Wish people would have given it more of a chance.
    7/10 - Slow Start: Fun, surprisingly well-animated, good characters, tons of yuri. What more could you need?
    6/10 - Citrus (dub) (9/12 episodes): It's interesting, at least. And has good character growth.
    5/10 - Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san (dub) (9/12 episodes): It was fun and cute for two or three episodes, then it just got boring and predictable.
    4/10 - Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san: See Takagi-san, except worse.

Dropped - Takunomi: Half-episodes, and half of THAT is them sitting on a couch explaining a specific alcoholic beverage. No time for actual character anything.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-03-30 at 12:46 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

What do y'all think are the chances that Disney's planned streaming service will be the first to stream all of the Miyazaki/Ghibli films that Disney has the DVD rights to?
    Last edited by gomipile; 2018-04-01 at 11:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

What do y'all think are the chances that Disney's planned streaming service will be the first to stream all of the Miyazaki/Ghibli films that Disney has the DVD rights to?
    I'm almost 100% sure Disney hates Ghibli and we'll never see those films streamed ever.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm almost 100% sure Disney hates Ghibli and we'll never see those films streamed ever.
    "How dare they do "heartwarming children's movie" better than we do? That's our whole thing!"

As for what i'm watching:

LUPIN THE 3rd PART4:
    I love a good surreal background, and the last episodes of this show were full of it...Plus, it had one of the better "hero wins by power of love" endings. I am now eagerly awaiting the next part.

DitF: As expected, the plot has finally hit fever pitch...though I didn't mind most of the character development episodes. I'm still impressed by how much this show has grown on me since the first few episodes.
    ...Makes me wonder if this is going to be a trend though, where every 6 episodes leads to a massive change in Hiro's and Zero-two's relationship?

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens has sadly ended at a mere 12 episodes, but i'd still recommended it. Just not sure to who, as it's a crime/crossdressing/baseball drama/comedy...thing.
    Feilang proved to be surprisingly sympathetic for a character who's a clinical psychopath, too.

Venture Bros. Season on-what? c'mon, that counts!

Ninja scroll: a lot of innovative ideas... a lot of skeevy badness as well. I can see why it's a classic but it still made me uncomfortable watching it for the wrong reasons.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2018-04-02 at 07:02 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

The new season has already started. Uma Musume has two episodes out already. It's pretty cute, and satisfies cute girls mixed with cute monster girls. No idea how long it is, or why they released two episodes at once, but it's worth to keep watching for fans of moe.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

DitF: As expected, the plot has finally hit fever pitch...though I didn't mind most of the character development episodes. I'm still impressed by how much this show has grown on me since the first few episodes.
    ...Makes me wonder if this is going to be a trend though, where every 6 episodes leads to a massive change in Hiro's and Zero-two's relationship?
    Ah, I didn't realize Darling in the Franxx is a 2 cour show. I just watched the first few episodes, and I'm enjoying it so far. What I like most is Zero Two's personality.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I didn't realize Darling in the Franxx is a 2 cour show. I just watched the first few episodes, and I'm enjoying it so far. What I like most is Zero Two's personality.
    Agreed, but to be fair all the pilots eventually become likeable, even that cad Mitsuru. I wish the non-Zero Two girls got more character development though.
    My favorite parts are the growing subplot around the nature of the parasites and the dominion of APE.
    Spoiler: DitF spoilers
    Show
    Enjoy Zero-Two's joy while it lasts. Ep 6 is rough on her, ep 12 is 2 centimeters from destroying her. Poor girl.

Now, back onto "what bandwagons I'm jumping on this season:"

Also, just started on Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis. With the laggy CGI and the dorky swagger of the Mafiaso (that are for some reason in shanghai), I thought i'd only be fit for a laugh, but i'm already watching it non-ironically.

Magical Girl Ore...Eh. hilarious concept, execution is meh so far. Makes me wonder if comedic timing varies between cultures

The new season has already started. Uma Musume has two episodes out already. It's pretty cute, and satisfies cute girls mixed with cute monster girls. No idea how long it is, or why they released two episodes at once, but it's worth to keep watching for fans of moe.
    *looks it up*
    Cute reincarnated horse girls huh?
    If one's a reincarnation of Farlap, i'm in.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, just started on Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis. With the laggy CGI and the dorky swagger of the Mafiaso (that are for some reason in shanghai), I thought i'd only be fit for a laugh, but i'm already watching it non-ironically.
    Eh, I couldn't be bothered to finish the first episode. And I'm a fan of the whole FotNS franchise.The crappy CG really bugged me. I didn't even get far enough to tell if this was another attempt at the FotBS story or a continuation of the last attempt. Since it started in Shanghai I'm tempted to say the latter, but I haven't verified this.
    I gave the horse girls a try, for a lark. I got all of 5 minutes in before I switched off in boredom.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Makes me wonder if comedic timing varies between cultures.
    Maybe it's just not a very good comedy series?

Because those aren't that rare throughout, well, basically the entire world

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Lupin III: Part V is off to a good start. Great to look at, the characters we all know and love doing what they do best, and the concept set firmly in the present with plot and tech and complications that put a shiny new coat of paint on the tried and true formula. If it keeps this up, I will be very happy.