New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 15: The Beach Episode

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Lupin III: Part V is off to a good start. Great to look at, the characters we all know and love doing what they do best, and the concept set firmly in the present with plot and tech and complications that put a shiny new coat of paint on the tried and true formula. If it keeps this up, I will be very happy.
    Agreed. I do hope Rebecca and Nix make a reappearance.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Magical Girl Ore...Eh. hilarious concept, execution is meh so far. Makes me wonder if comedic timing varies between cultures
    After seeing the first episode I vaguely remember the manga being better, not great but somewhat funnier. So I think it is partly just a mediocre adaption.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

...Makes me wonder if this is going to be a trend though, where every 6 episodes leads to a massive change in Hiro's and Zero-two's relationship?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like that massive change will be split between episodes 12 and 13, this time.

Agreed, but to be fair all the pilots eventually become likeable, even that cad Mitsuru. I wish the non-Zero Two girls got more character development though.
    My favorite parts are the growing subplot around the nature of the parasites and the dominion of APE.
    Spoiler: DitF spoilers
    Show
    Enjoy Zero-Two's joy while it lasts. Ep 6 is rough on her, ep 12 is 2 centimeters from destroying her. Poor girl.
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyone want to take bets on whether Hiro's response to Zero Two spirit-choking him is to gently touch her face, which causes her to start sobbing uncontrollably?

I mean, I listened to Komm, Süßer Tod after watching episode 12. ;-)

The partner shuffle is leaving me feeling conflicted and worried about how the show will handle the affected individuals' feelings going forward. If this were a western show, I'd say that Ikuno is coded as lesbian and not bisexual, and that she won't be able to feel for Futoshi as more than possibly a very good friend. That'd still be much better than what she had in Mitsuru, and it'd be fine. However, I feel like the show might lose some(western) viewers if Ikuno falls in love with Futoshi without a lot of setup, some of which should have already happened. The same goes for Mitsuru possibly developing deeper feelings than friendship for Kokoro.

My worries could be unfounded, though, since Mitsuru and Ikuno's unrequited feelings for Hiro and Ichigo have been handled well so far. I think that having the new partner pairs develop strong trusting friendships that work better than their previous pairings would make a great narrative. Ichigo not reciprocating Ikuno's feelings might not be enough to explain their inability to pilot together, but other explanations might. The pistils might not have gotten the right training to fulfill the stamen pilot role at all. Or the piloting system might be hard-wired to only work one way by Dr. Franxx. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I watched two anime this season: Devilman Crybaby and A Place Further than the Universe. It's interesting how these two contrast with each other, because they both do pretty much the exact opposite thing to each other.

A Place Further than the Universe is certainly one of the most solid anime I've ever seen. It's easy to watch because it's so finely tuned in each aspect of its production. It managed to hit me right in the feels almost every episode, and managed to make all the main girls interesting and appealing (at first, I liked Hinata the best, but at the end I think I preferred Shirase). I personally got mostly hooked on the witty manuscript and the creative use of background space. It's bound to go into anime canon as a perfect example of how to mix moe with adventure, and it certainly deserves it.

That said, apart from (and I want to underscore this) all of it being exceptionally great, it's also kind of normal. It's certainly a very watchable, very recommendable, safe for everyone show. I wanted to mix it up with something different, and since I heard good things about it, I also watched...

Devilman Crybaby. Ho boy.

Right, to begin with, Devilman Crybaby is absolutely a good show, but it's good in very different ways than A Place Further than the Universe. It's darkly sexual, unabashedly hyperviolent, and (I'd argue) tragic in a classical sense. All of these are points in its favour in my mind, particularly in the context of today's anime scene, where it provides a... well, I'd say refreshing alternative, but I don't think DC is refreshing. It's grimy, bloody and unsafe, and it really succeeds in making me feel that way.

I think DC has interesting things to say: about suspicion and being an outcast in society, about the treatment of those different than you, and about the backside of "normal". It also dares to deal with sex and carnal desire, particularly in the absence of love, which certainly strengthens the sense that the characters are mostly teenagers. While it definitely doesn't paint sex in a good light, at least it's not erased or trivialised into "he saw my panties blush blush". Also, nothing really is painted in a good light in this show, so it does fit the theme.

Hm, between DC, Darling in the FRANXX and Citrus, there's really been quite a few shows looking at sex this season, hasn't there?

That said, some have said "instant AOTY" about DC, and yeah, not for me. It was a thrilling diversion, a look into an age of copied OVA cassette tapes that was never intended to get airtime. But sometimes during the episodes, the ultraviolence just made my blank over. Some shots are shocking, and I really did feel sick now and then, but I just got tired of it. The final episode was less epic climax, more "right, get it over with already".
    Last edited by Weimann; 2018-04-21 at 12:52 PM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Addicting as I am to Magical Girl suffering, I gave the first episode of Magical Girl Site a try. It was ... okay? The first episode was edgy as hell as it sets up its protagonist to have about the worst life possible, but I see potential here. Or, it could just turn out to be an pointlessly edgy gore-fest like Magical Girl Raising Project. For now, I'm quite curious as to what this Magical Girl Site is all about.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Darling in the Franxx episodes12+ spoiler and a silly, unlikely prediction
    Show

Okay, I have a crack-prediction for after episode 12.

I think it would be amusing if Hiro grows blue horns and gets blue glowing eyes. I mean, they've gone far enough with on-the-nose sexual innuendo, imagery, and symbolism, so I suppose they could go all out with the red oni, blue oni metaphor between Zero Two and Hiro.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Spoiler: Darling in the Franxx episodes12+ spoiler and a silly, unlikely prediction
    Show

Okay, I have a crack-prediction for after episode 12.

I think it would be amusing if Hiro grows blue horns and gets blue glowing eyes. I mean, they've gone far enough with on-the-nose sexual innuendo, imagery, and symbolism, so I suppose they could go all out with the red oni, blue oni metaphor between Zero Two and Hiro.

Spoiler: An even sillier response to the above silliness
    Show

My lord, I hope that happens... I mean, it even fits as a sort of HIV metaphor, and the trouble it can bring to a relationship.

Also saw the Legend of the galactic heroes remake the other day...it seems to be paced very slowly for something that's only getting 24 episodes. As it is I don't mind it though: though i'm sure the pacing annoys most new adoptees who aren't aware that this is going to be "historical battle epic IN SPACE"
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

The pacing didn't bother me so much as the stack of boring stereotypes and the protags who are geniuses either because plot or because everyone else couldn't find their own arse with a map.
    Last edited by BWR; 2018-04-07 at 06:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Darling in the Franxx episode 13 mini-review
    Show

Episode 13 went full Ghibli on me, and now I'm crying.

It was strongly suspected that Hiro and Zero Two had met as children, but the way this episode confirmed that is just... so densely packed with emotion. Good job Trigger+A1. Hear, hear!

And now the ending of episode 1 is retroactively made into a tear-jerker for me, too.

Spoiler: screenshot from episode 1
    Show

That, and the scene in the early episodes where Hiro offers to name Zero Two. Oh my gods, the feelings. (;﹏;)

Oh, and the new fourth ending song is nice, too. I hope someone posts the lyrics soon.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

So I'm going through Flip Flappers right now and it's brought up something that bothers me from time to time in a different-than-usual way. You know those show descriptions that don't really describe the show and really leave you wondering if whoever wrote them has even seen the show?
    Spoiler: Episode 5 - Pure Echo
    Show
    Cocona and Papika take a trip to a world that gets one all hot and bothered. Greetings ensue.

The episode's picture is also a distant shot of two girls in a bathtub.
    Now here's a description that really doesn't describe the episode but could have only been written by someone that had seen it. Bizarre as anything else about the show, really. If you've seen it, you know it's true. If you haven't seen it, I'll just say this episode isn't what it says there at all.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    So I'm going through Flip Flappers right now and it's brought up something that bothers me from time to time in a different-than-usual way. You know those show descriptions that don't really describe the show and really leave you wondering if whoever wrote them has even seen the show?
    Show
    Cocona and Papika take a trip to a world that gets one all hot and bothered. Greetings ensue.

Now here's a description that really doesn't describe the episode but could have only been written by someone that had seen it. Bizarre as anything else about the show, really. If you've seen it, you know it's true. If you haven't seen it, I'll just say this episode isn't what it says there at all.
    To be fair, if you're expecting coherence out of anything related to Flip Flappers you're just setting yourself up for disappointment

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a nice cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8UIyoW3q0

I've been listening to a lot of English covers of anime songs lately.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    Show

Plot synopses for shows in general are bad sometimes too. Though to be fair, sometimes it's hard to explain a show in a couple sentences. I was trying to explain Slow Start recently, and all I could come up with is "four girls hang out".
    Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Here's a nice cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8UIyoW3q0

I've been listening to a lot of English covers of anime songs lately.
    Megan Shipman (Aoba from New Game!, Yuzu from Citrus, Zuramaru from Love Live! Sunshine!!) does English covers regularly, and uploads some to Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/18moptop/videos
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-04-09 at 02:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

What are some mecha series from 1994 or before where all of the pilots were 16 years old or younger, or where a reason was given that the only possible pilots had to be young?

I know of a few from 1996 and after, but I'm asking because Neon Genesis Evangelion is spoken of as a deconstruction of this trope, and I can't think of any mecha series from before it where ALL of the pilots were in their mid teens or younger. Not off the top of my head, anyway. Several Google searches tell me that I don't know how to Google for the answer to this, either. I found some lists that should theoretically help, but they aren't sorted by year, and I didn't notice any entries on them that I know are from before 1995.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe it's less a matter of "every pilot is a young teen" and more "the main pilot(s) are all young teens". There are basically always some adult pilots around, but the super uber prototype somehow often ends in the hands of a young kid and everybody around goes "this is fine".

Mind you, Invincible Super Man Zambot 3 and later on the first gundams already had deconstructed the whole "why are we letting the kid handle the giant machine of destruction again?" question.

Evangelion however takes it a step further that said young teen(s) can't really handle the constant pressure. Kappei Jin already starts hotblooded, Ray Amuro starts a bit whimpy but eventually becomes a cold killing machine, while Shinji and Asuka end up sinking lower and lower in despair and madness.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-04-14 at 12:37 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, most of the Gundam series' are that way for the primary cast. You have outliers like Master Asia, but the protagonist and his main rival were almost always teens. Amuro is 15 in the original, Heero from Wing is the same, and so on.

Same with Macross, to my knowledge.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Even Mazinger Z had Kouji Kabuto being the very first giant robot pilot and he also looks 16 or younger. Then his sidekicks were basically all his classmates plus his even younger brother got a robot later on. Only Tetsuya from Great Mazinger looks more like an adult.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Same with Macross, to my knowledge.
    Roy Focker was in his 20s in Super Dimension Fortress Macross. Hikaru was 16 at the very beginning of the series, but he fell into the cockpit, and I think it was at least implied that the other pilots were older than him.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Firbolg in the Playground

Remember that in the original Getter Robo, Ryouma and Hayato (not sure about Musashi) are high school students.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Remember that in the original Getter Robo, Ryouma and Hayato (not sure about Musashi) are high school students.
    Musashi went to school with them too.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

So, was NG Evangelion the first where all of the possible pilots had to be under 16?

I guess it makes sense to have the plot force all the pilots to be young teens, so that as they break down psychologically, they can't be replaced with adults. So, I guess it would also make sense for it to be the first series to do so? If that's the case?
    Last edited by gomipile; 2018-04-14 at 04:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Even Mazinger Z had Kouji Kabuto being the very first giant robot pilot and he also looks 16 or younger. Then his sidekicks were basically all his classmates plus his even younger brother got a robot later on. Only Tetsuya from Great Mazinger looks more like an adult.
    Also, Kabuto Koji was actually older than the norm for super robot heroes, who tended to be in the 10-12 range previously. (Partly because he was the first one to be in the robot and therefore directly in peril)

It's that "protagonists age about the same as assumed audience" thing.

NGE is often called a deconstruction but kinda isn't. Deconstruction is merely a way to show that alternative presentations are possible within a genre*, which fundamentally requires a certain level of orthodoxy in presentation in that genre. Mecha shows never really had that, and had gone to darker places with negative psychological and physical consequences for protagonists before (O hai Ideon).

NGE is a mecha show like other mecha shows which also happens to be an examination of the effects of severe depression, which its writer was battling at the time.

* The literary technique of deconstruction is using the techniques of modernist criticism to show that multiple contradictory meanings can be derived from the same text, to demonstrate that there is no "true" meaning as the modernists held. Deconstruction is not "X but darker" or even "X but real world consequences". All Star Superman would be as effective a deconstruction of superheroes as Watchmen if it had come first, because it also demonstrates that a fixed length novel structure with no reliance on ongoing continuity is a stronger storytelling medium than unending monthly serial, by being a better Superman story than has been in a monthly serial. Also once a deconstruction of a genre has been successful, no more deconstructions of that genre are deconstructions because it has already been demonstrated that other types of story can be told, everything beyond that point is just "a story".

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

The big problem with the label 'deconstruction', when talking about works of fiction, is that it's always been kind of vague and ill-defined. Even Derrida, who coined the term, never gave a terribly clear definition of what he actually meant by it and didn't really ever use it to describe works of fiction themselves. Of the various literary theorists who've put forward their own definitions of it since then, most of them have used it to describe ways of reading and thinking about a text, not so much an inherent property of the text.

So when you get into using it as that, you're effectively trying to navigate a river with a collection of abstract boat blueprints. Which is why most general definitions of it as a label for works of fiction are kind of a mess (GloatingSwine's own example, for instance, isn't entirely consistent with the definition he gives at the start of it), assuming anyone's even giving definitions to begin with - which they often don't.

Trying to get prescriptivist about the term is just not going to get very far, as there's not much you can point back to as being 'the accurate definition'. Trying to use it in a more descriptivist manner is also likely to get awkward since it's often used in a way that carries positive connotations (e.g. as shorthand for "darker than other stories in its genre but smart about it") and because there isn't really one usage of it that is common enough that you can call it the 'conventional one'.
    Basically, it doesn't really 'mean' anything inherently.

As such there's really not much to be gained by asking 'what makes [x] a deconstruction?' because we don't really have a clear idea of what a 'deconstruction' is supposed to be in the first place. So getting too involved in that is getting into one of the least useful types of semantics arguments.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Also, Kabuto Koji was actually older than the norm for super robot heroes, who tended to be in the 10-12 range previously. (Partly because he was the first one to be in the robot and therefore directly in peril)
    It's that "protagonists age about the same as assumed audience" thing.
    Wait, what?
    0- Tetsujin and friends are not a super robot series since super robots are mechas and mechas are piloted from inside.
    1-Being shielded by multiple layers of super alloy is a lot safer than being in the open when the giant monster comes knocking.
    2-Mazinger Z is for the most part a comedy. Kouji is never really in danger in the original series while Boss Borot gets blown up virtually every fight yet Boss and his flunkies always climb out of the wreckage with just a few scratches if that.
    3-If the protagonists were just supposed to be aged with the audience, then by now we should have some shows with the main pilot being 40-50 years old.

If anything Kouji's a bit older because a) Go Nagai was recycling the character looks from the much darker Devilman and b)Go Nagai often made his series borderline ecchi/hentai (I believe Go Nagai basically started ecchi/hentai too besides super robots), so Kouji needed to be a bit older so he could have sexual lust.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Back to this season.

I've given a few more shows a try. The best are Amanchu 2 Hina Festival and Love is hard for otaku. I like the manga of these quite well, so I'm not surprised at this. The first is just more of the same of the first season, pleasant everyday life. The second is a great example of how to use suffering and often rather tragic circumstances to make excellent comedy. The last is just plain funny. As one what can only be described as an otaku couple, I recognize so much of what goes on here.

Comics Girls high school girls drawing comics. 'Unremarkable' is a word that comes to mind.
    Persona 5 I gather this is based on a game. Perhaps it is more comprehensible and interesting if you've played it before watching it. As it is, I'm giving it a miss.
    Cutie Honey Universe Magical girls something or other. Should I watch the original first, maybe?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Back to this season.

I've given a few more shows a try. The best are Amanchu 2 Hina Festival and Love is hard for otaku. I like the manga of these quite well, so I'm not surprised at this. The first is just more of the same of the first season, pleasant everyday life. The second is a great example of how to use suffering and often rather tragic circumstances to make excellent comedy. The last is just plain funny. As one what can only be described as an otaku couple, I recognize so much of what goes on here.

Comics Girls high school girls drawing comics. 'Unremarkable' is a word that comes to mind.
    Persona 5 I gather this is based on a game. Perhaps it is more comprehensible and interesting if you've played it before watching it. As it is, I'm giving it a miss.
    Cutie Honey Universe Magical girls something or other. Should I watch the original first, maybe?
    I imagine Cutie Honey Universe will be like Devilman Crybaby in that you don't HAVE to watch the original first, since it's a modernization of it, but I wouldn't know for sure. I bring this up because Cutie Honey and Devilman are made by the same guy.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

This season has been disappointing so far. Comic Girls and Uma Musume have kept my interest so far, but that's about all I can say. Tada-kun has been good, Real Girl is eh, but I also spoiled myself to the story. Wotaku I want to watch, but I don't have Amazon Prime. And outside of My Hero Academia, which I havne't bothered watching yet, that's it. Hinamatsuri and Kakuriyo I'm waiting for the dubs, but this isn't the amazing time that last season was.

Or that Winter 2017 apparently was. I've been going back and watching older shows, and so far I'm up to six shows from that season, with more shows on my watchlist, and so far I've enjoyed every single one. Dragon Maid was great, I've rewatched it a couple times. Little Witch Academia was solid. Interviews with Monster Girls I recommend to everyone. Gabriel Dropout I recently finished, and it was absolutely hilarious. Gabriel is the best. Urara Meirochou I just finished, and enjoyed it, though a season 2 is necessary to continue the story and explain some things. Fuuka I really liked, though there are a lot of people who didn't (I think a lot of manga readers who didn't like the story change). My watchlist still has Long Riders, Konosuba, Masamune-kun's Revenge, and Akiba's Trip to go, though I think I've already caught the best of them (except maybe Konosuba).
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-04-15 at 05:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    This season has been disappointing so far. Comic Girls and Uma Musume have kept my interest so far, but that's about all I can say. Tada-kun has been good, Real Girl is eh, but I also spoiled myself to the story. Wotaku I want to watch, but I don't have Amazon Prime. And outside of My Hero Academia, which I havne't bothered watching yet, that's it. Hinamatsuri and Kakuriyo I'm waiting for the dubs, but this isn't the amazing time that last season was.

Or that Winter 2017 apparently was. I've been going back and watching older shows, and so far I'm up to six shows from that season, with more shows on my watchlist, and so far I've enjoyed every single one. Dragon Maid was great, I've rewatched it a couple times. Little Witch Academia was solid. Interviews with Monster Girls I recommend to everyone. Gabriel Dropout I recently finished, and it was absolutely hilarious. Gabriel is the best. Urara Meirochou I just finished, and enjoyed it, though a season 2 is necessary to continue the story and explain some things. Fuuka I really liked, though there are a lot of people who didn't (I think a lot of manga readers who didn't like the story change). My watchlist still has Long Riders, Konosuba, Masamune-kun's Revenge, and Akiba's Trip to go, though I think I've already caught the best of them (except maybe Konosuba).
    Don't miss out on Hisone to Maso-tan if you can at all help it. So far it's the frontrunner for anime of the season for me. It probably won't dethrone SoraYori, but that would be a tall order anyways.

Hinamatsuri is great, too. Looks like a very faithful manga adaptation, like Takagi-san was last season.

One edge Spring 2018 has over Winter 2018 for me is the presence of two baseball shows in the lineup, and the sequel to Full Metal Panic: Second Raid. I fully recognize those are eclectic preferences.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

29. - Top - End - #89

I'm relieved that this season there seems to be only one show of note that only Amazon are carrying. It's a welcome change from several of the best-reputed shows last year getting locked away behind that paywall.

I'm watching a lot of shows so far this season, though several are in the "eh, I'll give it a shot for now" category (e.g. Gundam Build Divers, Legend of the Galactic Heroes). I'll second Hinamatsuri as one of the big recommends out of what I've seen, with Megalo Box being the other one up there with it. SAO Alternative is a more cautious recommendation due to the baggage of the franchise, but two episodes in it definitely has my interest.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Do Amazon exclusives that don't get a dub immediately ever get a dub? Have any Amazon exclusives that started out without a dub eventually gotten one?