New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default Kobold tank Pathfinder

For our current campaign I want to build a kobold tank, (yes I know it’s not a traditional pick for a tank). We are starting at lvl 1 with set points 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18. We can also drop stats to raise others, however before racial adjustment we cannot go above 18.

I was curious as to what classes or builds people would go with as I am not used to playing the tanky character.
    I am what i am, nothing else.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kobold tank Pathfinder

A "Tank" is almost nonexistent in any tabletop RPG, since aggro mechanics don't really exist outside an MMO. Even the mechanics they tried to add (Antagonize, Compel Hostility) are unreliable at best and basically just a waste of time.

Most tank-type characters are melee types (Paladin, Barbarian, etc.) and Kobolds get -4 Str, so that's not really going to work.

I'd go with a Cleric, Druid, or Oracle, preferably either Druid or Nature Oracle so you have an extra body to take hits. Use spells to debuff opponents, particularly anything that entangles or otherwise slows them down, and take the feat Merciless Magic. Get a companion that can trip or otherwise hinder opponents from trying to move past it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Paizo only or 3pp available?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Kobold tank Pathfinder

Make it a barbarian kobold. Already a tank at 2nd level take sorcerer.

Spell

Mage armor
    Shield.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tank: "big beefy dude on the front lines"
    OR
    Tank: "takes damage for teammates"
    ????

If it's more the first one, then Kobold is very much not an ideal choice (STR/CON penalty), but can be made to work.

If it's the 2nd option, then Kobold is much less of a factor, but you don't have a lot of functional options. Pei'Zin Oracle w/Life Mystery is the only reliable 1st party "take damage" Tank option.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Synthesist Summoner would be my choice - it lets you swap your weak physical stats for the much better ones of your eidolon. You can then drop the 16 or 18 in Charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

If third party is on the table, then for Spheres of Might, the Guardian and Berserker spheres are fantastic. Guardian can either give you increased threatened area for traditional D&D tanking, or a taunt that gives a +4 to-hit swing when targeting you exclusively. Berserker, as a swift action, gives -2 AC and temporary hit points equal to a Toughness feat (if you're full BAB class).

Further, you've got a Delayed damage pool equal to 3x your BAB from Guardian....fair, it's only delayed by 1 turn, but that's one more turn of swinging and killing before you keel over or start dying, and for just an extra feat, half of that damage can be nonlethal. In terms of Legendary Talents, you can actually transfer at least half of your delayed damage in to anyone you damage (for yet another feat, you can automatically damage whoever attacks or casts on anyone that's not you).

Another one lets you delay the actual Death condition, and lets healing that would put you above "Dead" prevent your death. So that's a whole two rounds minimum that you can always fight for (in my experience, that's around 1/3 to 1/2 of an entire combat encounter right there).

Add in Barbarian class from core, and you've got yourself a nasty little frontliner who wants to be taking damage. I mean...Kobold is basically not ideal, dealing less damage, and having less health, but these two spheres help in the effective health department. Berserker sphere can also offer relatively hefty debuffs, so you don't neccesarily need to do the most damage ever to be worth target firing.
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2018-03-15 at 05:21 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

A Synthesist summoner would definitely work well to make a "tank" out of a race that is not really meant for that, as it replaces your ability scores and gives a plethora of options from the eidolon. If you can get your table to allow synth(most that I know of do not). Otherwise, druid can also be a solid option, as you can bolster your stats with spellcasting and wildshape.
    Last edited by Kallor; 2018-03-15 at 06:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Paizo only or 3pp available?
    We are using Paizo only.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Synthesist Summoner would be my choice - it lets you swap your weak physical stats for the much better ones of your eidolon. You can then drop the 16 or 18 in Charisma.
    I have not played a summoner before, are they difficult to play?
    I am what i am, nothing else.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malik View Post
    We are using Paizo only.

To play? no. Just a bunch of dice to roll every round.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malik View Post
    Not at all and there's a couple of Summoner Handbooks out there you can search up to learn the class better. You can either be a Synthesist (turning yourself into a melee bruiser and tanking directly) or play a normal summoner (directing your eidolon or summons to do tanky stuff while you use your actions on casting spells.) Both approaches are viable so it just depends on which one fits your character concept better.

Summoner is in APG and Synthesist is in UM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)