New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Whither now, Fafhrd?

Blue sky conversation about Mountain Dwarf Barbarian...

Start
    St 17
    De 14
    Co 17
    In 08
    Wi 10
    Ch 08

ASIs
    4th +1 St (18) and +1 Co (18)
    8th +2 St (20)
    12th +2 Co (20)
    16 TBD
    19 TBD
    20 Capstone

The major mushy area was the ASIs and/or Feats for 16th and 19th.

Not that I personally ever think I will stay with a character past Tier Three but now that we have had this discussion I would invite your comments and input.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ZorroGames; 2018-03-14 at 08:39 PM.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Whither now, Fafhrd?

That's a great baseline build for any mountain dwarf barbarian you've got there.

In our AL-esque* game I decided to go Battlerager* myself, with a slightly different stat distribution, with the intenton to multiclass into rogue (Thief) for the expertise in Athletics (obviously), and will take feats/ASI like this.

Stats are:
    Str 17
    Dex 14
    Con 16
    Int 8
    Wis 12
    Cha 8

Barbarian from 1st to 8th/Rogue from 1st to 12th
    4th Tavern Brawler: +1 Str (18)
    8th Durable: +1 Con (17)
    12th (Rogue 4th) Dwarven Fortitude: +1 Con (18); XGtE*
    16th (Rogue 8th) +2 Str (20)
    18th (Rogue 10th) +2 Con (20)
    20th (Rogue 12th) Sentinel

With Durable + Dwarven Fortitude + Con 20 (I know, I'll lose the Barbarian Capstone increase to Con to 24), whenever I use Dodge action, I get to expend a hit die and heal myself at minimum for 10 hit points, every single time.

*This is where our game is different from actual AL: We have no arbitrary restrictions for the books we can use, so I can be a Battlerager (from SCAG) and take Dwarven Fortitude (from XGtE)

That out of the way, might I suggest considering this for your build:

Instead of pumping Constitution immediately to 17 (and thus 18 at 4th level), leave Constitution at 16, then take Dwarven Fortitude at some point. Going this route you could, at 4th level, increase your Str and Con each by 1 (as your initial build suggests), and pick Dwarven Fortitude at 8th, or vice versa. This would, of course, push you one ASI further, but at least now you'd have only one ASI to be determined (at 19th). For that remaining ASI, you could also drop Wisdom to 8 (let's face it, it's sometimes fun to have a character that might fail his wisdom saves a bit more often than others!), and increase your DEX to 15. Then, at 19th level, pick up either Athlete (from PHB) or Squat Nimbleness (from XGtE) to increase your Dexterity to 16. Now you will get a whopping AC 20 bare naked.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-03-15 at 01:52 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    That's a great baseline build for any mountain dwarf barbarian you've got there.

In our AL-esque* game I decided to go Battlerager* myself, with a slightly different stat distribution, with the intenton to multiclass into rogue (Thief) for the expertise in Athletics (obviously), and will take feats/ASI like this.

Stats are:
    Str 17
    Dex 14
    Con 16
    Int 8
    Wis 12
    Cha 8

Barbarian from 1st to 8th/Rogue from 1st to 12th
    4th Tavern Brawler: +1 Str (18)
    8th Durable: +1 Con (17)
    12th (Rogue 4th) Dwarven Fortitude: +1 Con (18); XGtE*
    16th (Rogue 8th) +2 Str (20)
    18th (Rogue 10th) +2 Con (20)
    20th (Rogue 12th) Sentinel

With Durable + Dwarven Fortitude + Con 20 (I know, I'll lose the Barbarian Capstone increase to Con to 24), whenever I use Dodge action, I get to expend a hit die and heal myself at minimum for 10 hit points, every single time.

*This is where our game is different from actual AL: We have no arbitrary restrictions for the books we can use, so I can be a Battlerager (from SCAG) and take Dwarven Fortitude (from XGtE)

That out of the way, might I suggest considering this for your build:

Instead of pumping Constitution immediately to 17 (and thus 18 at 4th level), leave Constitution at 16, then take Dwarven Fortitude at some point. Going this route you could, at 4th level, increase your Str and Con each by 1 (as your initial build suggests), and pick Dwarven Fortitude at 8th, or vice versa. This would, of course, push you one ASI further, but at least now you'd have only one ASI to be determined (at 19th). For that remaining ASI, you could also drop Wisdom to 8 (let's face it, it's sometimes fun to have a character that might fail his wisdom saves a bit more often than others!), and increase your DEX to 15. Then, at 19th level, pick up either Athlete (from PHB) or Squat Nimbleness (from XGtE) to increase your Dexterity to 16. Now you will get a whopping AC 20 bare naked.
    Ooh, that is a nice build, we never got to MC options in any depth. Will drop that in my group fir further discussion.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    Ooh, that is a nice build, we never got to MC options in any depth. Will drop that in my group fir further discussion.
    I blame coffee... or rather, lack of it ...that earlier today I didn't realize this: with your initial build you could leave the stats as they are, and increase str and con at 4th to 18 each, then use an ASI to improve str to 20. What I didn't realize is that you could, actually, instead of using one ASI to increase Con to 20, take both Durable and Dwarven Fortitude to get Con to 20 eventually, and you'd still have that one ASI to use. Might as well drop that Wisdom to 8 and increase dex to 15, and take that Athlete or Squat Nimbleness. Get the best of both builds - without multiclassing!
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-03-15 at 07:06 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014