New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Patches from Dark Souls as a 3.5 character?

Trying to recreate patches as closely as possible to his dark souls counterpart in game but he doesn't seem to even have anything that special about him he basically seems to basically be a fighter/rogue with plenty of skill points invested in social skills and an extreme hatred for clerics and the divine in general.

Defining traits:
    Light armor and heavy armor proficient
    Tower shield (?)
    Uses a spear
    Does not cast spells
    Silver tongue
    Unarmed strike (?)
    Extreme hatred for divine casters
    Strength not dex focused

Is there a mage slayer type class that is strictly for shuting down divine casters?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Patches from Dark Souls as a 3.5 character?

Quote Originally Posted by Reprimand View Post
    Trying to recreate patches as closely as possible to his dark souls counterpart in game but he doesn't seem to even have anything that special about him he basically seems to basically be a fighter/rogue with plenty of skill points invested in social skills and an extreme hatred for clerics and the divine in general.

Defining traits:
    Light armor and heavy armor proficient
    Tower shield (?)
    Uses a spear
    Does not cast spells
    Silver tongue
    Unarmed strike (?)
    Extreme hatred for divine casters
    Strength not dex focused

Is there a mage slayer type class that is strictly for shuting down divine casters?
    The concept exists thematically, but like anything in 3.x, the best way to be a mage killer is to be a mage yourself. noncasters just can't keep up.

that being said, if you wanted to be a brute who hates divine casters, you may look at planar handbook's defiant. mechanically it's not a very good class, but the force of your atheism protects you from divine magic and lets you hamper divine magic users a little bit sometimes.

a standard crusader lockdown build with the mage slayer line would also serve your concept perfectly adequately, and you could do it with crusader 20.

if you think of tob as "spells" and it's a system mastery issue, then you may look at occult slayer or witch slayer, again with the mage slayer line in the vein of a traditional lockdown build.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    and lets you hamper divine magic users a little bit sometimes.
    That is the most true statement I've seen. Congratulations on winning the internet. Here's a cookie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Perhaps give Patches the vow of poverty as he is above all worldly wants (or so he claims).

Also if you can make Patches a were-spider that would also be a nice reference to his bloodborne appearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

What are the places: Elf-land. Dwarf-land. Ethnic-stereotype-land(s). And who could forget The Big Chill and Spooky-Underground-Elf-Land?

Necromance if you want to

We can bring your friends to life

But if your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead then their no friends of mine

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not trying to be optimal I just want like a few ideas along prcs feats or what not while sticking close to the theme. Which is basically a roguish fighter who is more of a trickster than a fighter. But still had the muscle to back it up. I don't need 9th level spells etc

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Patches hates Clerics, but he doesn't specialize in killing them.

Just a normal Fighter/Rogue type character using a tower shield and spear.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make