Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Avengers: Infinity War

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    He wanted to fulfill his dream of creating the super fusion reactor, but due to the influence of the tentacles A.I. he lost. sight of everything else, including the reason he wanted build the reactor in the first place (to provide safe, clean, affordable energy to.the world)... As well as the risks and costs involved. Building the reactor became not a means for a better future he dreamed about, but an goal in and of itself, to the point of obsession... And damned be anyone who tries to stop him!
    Wouldn't Sandman from 3 be a better example I mean he's one of the few things in that film people seem to like.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    It pushed it back further than that.
    How so? Thanos refers to Gamorra's homeworld thriving, but no explanation is given, other than wiping out half the population somehow perpetually fixed the world's overpopulation.

And apperently it works for Thanos. He has the infinity stones. So unfortunately he gets to decide.
    Thanos is powerful, but he's not his movie's audience, so this doesn't fly.

He killed ½ the Asgardians. Thor confirms it.
    I must have missed this. If half the Asgardians were dead, though, why didn't the living ones recover Thor?

And he did not kill the dwarfes for balance. He killed them to avoid a weapon being forged that could risk killing him. Stormbreaker kinda proved him right in doing so.
    Okay, this at least makes some sense.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    How so? Thanos refers to Gamorra's homeworld thriving, but no explanation is given, other than wiping out half the population somehow perpetually fixed the world's overpopulation.

Thanos is powerful, but he's not his movie's audience, so this doesn't fly.

I must have missed this. If half the Asgardians were dead, though, why didn't the living ones recover Thor?

Okay, this at least makes some sense.
    I mean they probably thought he was dead. Thanos kept him on the "die' half of the ship after all.

RaZodi by Cuthalion. Comedy Joke Insert Here.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Empathizing/relating to someone or their goals is not a requirement for them being the protagonist of a piece.
    This. Relatability is both overrated and sysiphean. There's films made at the dawn of the 20th century whose central emotional arc I can't relate to now, I was raised in a different culture with divergent assumptions. The idea drama can whirl around a central crux of emotional empathy requires you to restrict yourself to the aspects of human experience that are 'transcendently universal'. That's an inanely restrictive view of storytelling and I rather doubt if Film Critic Hulk were to actually review his most beloved works, that the majority of them would actually hold up to this paradigm.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Film crit Hulk is a very good writer, but my only response I have to this is that I disagree? I know why Thanos loves Gamora. Is it projection, like he said? Probably, but I don't feel that's inherently negative.
    All storytelling is simulacra to one extent or another. The implication it relies on extra textual conjecture isn't inherently damning. Heck, Hulk himself does this. His ardent defense of Mass Effect 3's polarizing ending is based completely on emotional and thematic implications exterior to the text of the actual story he filled in to create an individualized significance. That's not wrong, but I don't think his defense there and his accusation here actually line up to a consistent philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I'm sorry. I was wrong

It's which Avengers is best waifu. So far Stark seems to be in the lead.
    Start a new thread so we can get some polling.

It is an end unto itself. So I could sit here and explain for days why the The Dark Knight is brilliantly told and why The Dark Knight Rises is a chaotic ****-show of a text-based story on all levels, but for some it just won’t matter.
    -Film Critic Hulk
    +1.

5. - Top - End - #935

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    All storytelling is simulacra to one extent or another. The implication it relies on extra textual conjecture isn't inherently damning. Heck, Hulk himself does this. His ardent defense of Mass Effect 3's polarizing ending is based completely on emotional and thematic implications exterior to the text of the actual story he filled in to create an individualized significance. That's not wrong, but I don't think his defense there and his accusation here actually line up to a consistent philosophy.
    I mean the differences between video game and movie and how it relates to the person consuming the media inherently changes the structure. When playing a game you are PART of it, whereas in a movie you're watching it. Entirely different, so having different thoughts for each is valid. Either way it seems consistent to me, and also knocking a guy for liking things one way but liking a different thing a differente way and saying "you're being inconsistent and therefor bad" is super disingenious. Humans are by nature contradictionary creatures, we can't be 100% ram rod straight on every single little thing.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean the differences between video game and movie and how it relates to the person consuming the media inherently changes the structure. When playing a game you are PART of it, whereas in a movie you're watching it. Entirely different, so having different thoughts for each is valid.
    I don't think you really get what I meant. Or even attempt given the accusation of disingenuousness. No medium of storytelling doesn't rely on some level with a person filling in their own gaps. That doesn't change even in a video game. If you think otherwise, well, that's a bold assertion that I'd love to see an explanation for somewhere else.

Either way it seems consistent to me, and also knocking a guy for liking things one way but liking a different thing a differente way and saying "you're being inconsistent and therefor bad" is super disingenious.
    I'm not saying someone need like/hate one thing and then dislike another. I'm saying the rationale for why this didn't work is untenable. Everyone imparts their own assumptions, justifications and internal significance because no narrative is a real and complete functioning model of reality. Hulk is alluding to a functionally impossible ideal.

Humans are by nature contradictionary creatures, we can't be 100% ram rod straight on every single little thing.
    I'm not saying someone need be consistent. I'm saying his philosophy of the Mise-en-scène is impossible, and he himself is perfectly capable of enjoying things outside it.
    A person being inconsistent is a truism. A person's ideological model for enjoying something being impossible to meet in reality is a perfectly fair criterion to judge that same philosophy on.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    If you haven't seen Deadpool and Deadpool 2, definitely do that. The films are pretty good.

There's also a ton of them outside of films, but given the thread, I presumed you meant movies.
    Deadpool is not openly pansexual in the movies, which is what the post you were replying to asked for. A bit of male butt-groping and a charged comment or two doesn't do it.

Of course, there is the mutant lesbian couple that are badass but their still fairly minor characters. Its unbelievable that its 2018 and Deadpool 2 may have actually made history by putting a lesbian couple in that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    I don't recall Thanos speaking about how his action "perpetually" fixes the problem of overpopulation, but he claimed the world is now a paradise. The entirety of his ideology is the universe (and apparently a lot of individual planets) is overpopulated and randomly removing half the population will fix the problem. What more do you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

8. - Top - End - #938
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Spoiler: Snipped Down Spoiler
    Show
    Strange needed Tony to survive for some reason, and he needed to hold Thanos off as long as possible. That's why the trade happens, and that's why the fight goes the way it does.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanos was up against as many as three precognitive heroes. Heimdal, Vision (the Mind Stone was speaking to him), and Dr. Strange all had access to the best possible outcome.

At the end of Infinity War, among others, we have Rocket Raccoon, Tony Stark, Shuri, and Bruce Banner. These are the greatest minds in the MCU. Most are in Wakanda, within spitting distance of Vision's defunct body.

Shuri, of course, very nearly salvaged the Mind Stone from Vision. It's likely that his personality is largely intact. Yeah, his head is caved in, but what's a little cosmetic damage to an android whose consciousness may well reside anywhere in his body? Prediction: Vision's coming back early on in A4.

A curious thing about Dr. Strange's one in 4 million (six hundred and five) is that in it, Thanos used the Infinity Gauntlet. Why would this be necessary? A couple of reasons spring to mind. First off, Thanos's hemicide is likely to make all survivors fervently want nobody to ever again use any of the stones. Second off, doing so slagged the gauntlet. Thanos will need a new one. While he has all the stones, he can no longer use them together as effectively. Beating Thanos wasn't enough. Prediction: The stones themselves will be destroyed.

Marvel has movies coming out starring, well, dead characters. While these could be prequels, there's another option. This won't be a Time Stone thing; rather, it will be a Soul Stone thing. Prediction: In contradiction to Vision's "We don't trade lives" comment, Stark and Rogers will do exactly this to restore some of their fallen teammates. It's very likely other, similar trades will occur as well.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

As I try to explain to myself why the movie gives me this impression, part of the issue is that Thanos' love for Gamora was structured as a twist. Instead of investing in Thanos' love, the movie invests in revealing it at the crucial moment. The love is hinted, but not straightforwardly portrayed. And it's very difficult to build my investment in an emotion that's being held back for the big reveal at the end of Act 2. I can't invest in what I can't see.
    Well.. i kinda think it was very heavily hinted that Thanos did care immensely for Gamora. I though we had several scenes that made that very clear. I dont think it was any meaningful twist that she were the only thing in the galaxy that Thanos loved. I already though it pretty clear from especially the scene at Knowwhere.
    Thanos is straight up acting like a father. Testing the boyfriend to see if he is worthy.

As for Quill's actions:
    I have 2 main thoughs on this.
    Firstly i think Quill gets an unfair amount of flak for this. Its Nebula who are the dumbass that both told the immature space captain that the love of his life had left with Thanos to some place. And that Thanos had come back without her. While at the same time not doing anything to stop Quill from smacking Thanos in his rage and sorrow.

At the same time i dont think the plan had any chance of succes. Strange looked at 14 million different futures. And in none of them they manage to get the dam glove off Thanos. Or at least survive long enough to use it before he recovers it.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #940

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    I don't think you really get what I meant. Or even attempt given the accusation of disingenuousness. No medium of storytelling doesn't rely on some level with a person filling in their own gaps. That doesn't change even in a video game. If you think otherwise, well, that's a bold assertion that I'd love to see an explanation for somewhere else.

I'm not saying someone need like/hate one thing and then dislike another. I'm saying the rationale for why this didn't work is untenable. Everyone imparts their own assumptions, justifications and internal significance because no narrative is a real and complete functioning model of reality. Hulk is alluding to a functionally impossible ideal.

I'm not saying someone need be consistent. I'm saying his philosophy of the Mise-en-scène is impossible, and he himself is perfectly capable of enjoying things outside it.
    A person being inconsistent is a truism. A person's ideological model for enjoying something being impossible to meet in reality is a perfectly fair criterion to judge that same philosophy on.
    Sorry, wasn't meant to come off as saying YOU were disingenuous, just saying that IN GENERAL is. I know you're not being that.

I do think video games are inherently different from film. The act of playing, as an active participant, changes how the entire thing feels by it's very nature. I also disagree with you that what Film Crit Hulk wants is impossible, because what he wants is something I think the movie shows us, and I disagree when he says it wasn't enough for him.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Wouldn't Sandman from 3 be a better example I mean he's one of the few things in that film people seem to like.
    I think they're both different types of tragic villains. Otto has everything taken away from him: his love, his dream, his very morality... He is accidently turned into a monster.

Sandman is more like a guy who made bad decisions in life... Followed by more bad decisions... And more... And more... He never wanted to be a villain or even a criminal, but after so many mistakes, he just doesn't know how to fix his life, so keeps spiraling down the drain of crime and villainy. He does eventually see the error of his ways, though.

Man... SM3 could've been great if the studio had not forced Venom down Raimi's throat!
    Last edited by Lemmy; Yesterday at 05:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I'm sorry. I was wrong

It's which Avengers is best waifu. So far Stark seems to be in the lead.
    Stark is good, but obviously the best waifu is Thor. Even after he trades in the hair for the ability to summon Led Zeppelin.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Stark is good, but obviously the best waifu is Thor. Even after he trades in the hair for the ability to summon Led Zeppelin.
    Blasphemy! Best Avengers waifu is Loki. He gets +5 to waifu for hair alone, not to mention +6 for tsundere. His meta is a bit stale. Although my one-true-waifu is still Ramiel from Evangelion.
    Ruler of Floating pyramids.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I think they're both different types of tragic villains. Otto has everything taken away from him: his love, his dream, his very morality... He is accidently turned into a monster.

Sandman is more like a guy who made bad decisions in life... Followed by more bad decisions... And more... And more... He never wanted to be a villain or even a criminal, but after so many mistakes, he just doesn't know how to fix his life, so keeps spiraling down the drain of crime and villainy. He does eventually see the error of his ways, though.

Man... SM3 could've been great if the studio had not forced Venom down Raimi's throat!
    Wait, so Thanos is a bad villain and the movies that Infinity War should aspire to be are Spiderman 2 and ...3. Ok, now I know you guys are just messing with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

15. - Top - End - #945
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Wait, so Thanos is a bad villain and the movies that Infinity War should aspire to be are Spiderman 2 and ...3. Ok, now I know you guys are just messing with me.
    I didn't say Thanos was a bad villain... And I don't think anyone said IW should aspire to be one of the Spider-Man movies.

But I do like the portrayals of Dr.Octopus and Sandman... And SM2 was great! SM3 was ruined by the Venom storyline, which Sam Raimi reportedly didn't want to do, but was forced to by executive meddling... So he just half-assed it.
    Last edited by Lemmy; Today at 12:24 PM.