New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Avengers: Infinity War

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Just saw the movie, and boy was it worth the wait! I just felt that the marketing for this specific movie (the implication that the past 10 years was building up to this) was just a little off. 2008's Iron Man is a lead-in to the original Avengers movie, and only the latter is the lead-in (first time we got the Thanos hype) to this movie, so it's more 6-7 years in the making than 10.

One thing confusing me about the Soul Stone
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why is the Red Skull guarding it? Wasn't he instead trying to use the Tesseract (Mind Stone) in the Cap movie? And how was it that he turned out to be teleported to this faraway planet, if he has nothing to do with the Space Stone?
    Tesserac = Space Stone

Maybe he just ended up there

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Tesserac = Space Stone

Maybe he just ended up there
    It's implied it's a form of ironic punishment doled out by the Stone. He can't leave because he can't pass the test as he has no one he loves.

Another thing that I didn't understand was that Thor and Heimdall...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...were able to use the bifrost to send them to places they weren't supposed to know the location to. Okay, maybe Heimdall can see through dimensions, and he actually saw when Thor was speaking to Strange in the Sanctorum. How about Thor going to Wakanda, of all places, though?
    Thor does know about Wakanda. He heard about from the other Avengers in Age of Ultron. Also, the giant clash of armies and parked spaceships was probably something of a giveaway.
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2018-05-01 at 06:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Thinking of it this way, on Earth we have like what, 6 billion people?
    7.6 billion.

Of a group of six friends, three of them are poofed into dust.
    The problem with that approach, is what value each individual of the species contributes to its society.
    Take your standard Five Six Man Band;
    Leader
    Lancer
    Smart Guy
    Big Guy
    +Two more that aren't Leader.

Which three do you murder?
    For a diploid species, if you murder the females, what happens to the continual development of the species?

Then scale it up to 7.6 billion.

Is your goal merely population based?
    Or is Thanos intending to set the mean technological rate of the Universe back a few hundred years?
    What happens if technology gaps aren't consistant on the same world? Do you murder per capita per Nation? Wont that shaft the world, as a whole?

Arbitrarily murdering people, falls apart - ethically - the second you think about it longer than four seconds.
    Randomly murdering people, is much worse, and counter-intuitive for a benevolent being. Because if you're truly random, you can wipe out 60-odd% of the female (diploid) population, and then the species is basically doomed.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-05-01 at 06:26 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #274

Hey kids! What does these sentences have in common?

Spoiler
    Show
    "You should have aimed for the head"

"Hulk! Come out!" "NOOO"

"We dont trade lives"

"Please Mister Stark.. i dont want to go.."

They all set up each individual Avengers for feeling personally responsible for the movie's outcome.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm very disappointed in several characters, but most disappointed in Loki. The god of lies had so many opportunities to help if only he had tried to use trickery.

Also, Thanos. He has to know his plan would work for 3-4 generations, before everything he did is entirely moot. It would have been much cleaner and more efficient to just make food twice as nutritious.
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Its Loki, his Compulsive Backstabbing Disorder is a chronic condition. He just finally tried to backstab someone less merciful than Thor.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Its Loki, his Compulsive Backstabbing Disorder is a chronic condition. He just finally tried to backstab someone less merciful than Thor.
    Speaking of childish villains. Loki is a toddler except even more malevolent. He should have died and stayed dead three movies ago.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theMycon View Post
    I'm very disappointed in several characters, but most disappointed in Loki. The god of lies had so many opportunities to help if only he had tried to use trickery.

Also, Thanos. He has to know his plan would work for 3-4 generations, before everything he did is entirely moot. It would have been much cleaner and more efficient to just make food twice as nutritious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoilers but a response to both of you.

Spoiler: Loki and another MCU character
    Show
    You see Loki was stupid with what he tried to do with Thanos, he did not even try to make a doppleganger clone as a misdirection ploy, I am disapointed with you God of Mischef!

Oh I figured out the reason why. Dr. Strange took that power card from the pile, and we can only have 1 superhero to use a specific superpower for each movie.

Thus none of this skip to 2:35

For that is Dr. Strange's job to do on the later Titan Fight.

----

This may feel frustrating to a person who plays D&D characters and usually individuals do not mind if party members have similar abilities, but film is different.

Why is film different for you are creating expectations of what will work with the audience based off what worked on the past. Both Hulk and Loki had to be worfed to establish Thano's power, but also if Loki almost defeated Thano's via an illusion trick then everyone will expect the same thing from Strange another spellcaster / illusion expert (even though most of his powers involves teleportation and flight) and we will be let down by Strange when he almost does the same thing as Loki and fails again like Loki.

It sucks, but Loki is now a NPC and we need to Worf a few NPCs to establish stakes or that is what my Bard Storytelling Handbook tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Speaking of childish villains. Loki is a toddler except even more malevolent. He should have died and stayed dead three movies ago.
    You see the movies could have been so much different if Thor was not a "good brother" and he just smashed Loki's stomach with his mighty hammer instead of deciding to rest it on Loki's stomach and give him a time out.

Loki's mistake is thinking the tricks he pulled on his "blood" brother would also work on a neighborhood bully who is bigger, stronger, and more of a jerk than his blood brother than kind of loves him.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2018-05-01 at 07:36 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

9. - Top - End - #279

The 3-4 generations that took to replace 50% of the population in the universe.. would probably be a lot different than their forebears pre-Calamity.

Like i mentioned earlier in the thread, the Black Death, which killed from 30% to 60% of the population in Europe, caused such massive labor shortage that peasant's living conditions and discretionary income to soar, and have the burgeoning of some base citizen rights, and the emergence of some burgher classes.

Not saying its a panacea and everything is automatically better once you kill half of the world, but increasing the value of every individuals in the eye of society; having no more disposable social class can have long-term consequences, which will last far beyond the point where population has been restored to their pre-Calamity level.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    Or just make everyone self-sustaining. Or a billion (arbitrarily high, really) other approaches for someone with supposedly "Infinite" powers.

Alas, Thanos is just flawed enough not to be able to think outside the box like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Banned

Thor would also be very very dead by now if he acted the way many of you want him to and murdered his brother. Along with the rest of Asgard.

12. - Top - End - #282

Spoiler
    Show
    Or just make everyone self-sustaining. Or a billion (arbitrarily high, really) other approaches for someone with supposedly "Infinite" powers.

Alas, Thanos is just flawed enough not to be able to think outside the box like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    THE POWER IS NOT INFINITE

Didnt you see the Gauntlet being ruined after the single feat?!

Clearly the Gauntlet had a limit, so you cannot assume its a magic wand that can solve Entropy
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2018-05-01 at 08:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler: My opinion on the ending
    Show
    That ending of Infinity War was horrible. Most heroes and people dissolved by the effects of the Soul Stone. Plus the Avengers lost to Thanos. A clogged up toilet bowl can write a much better ending than this.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Spoiler: My opinion on the ending
    Show
    That ending of Infinity War was horrible. Most heroes and people dissolved by the effects of the Soul Stone. Plus the Avengers lost to Thanos. A clogged up toilet bowl can write a much better ending than this.
    The ending is fine, because...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    1. Disney wants to make Marvel movies (and sell toys) until we're all dead.
    2. The McGuffin that they're fighting over, literally has the power to undo reality.

I find it really hard to care about what happened in Part 1, since I know pretty much everything will be undone in Part 2.
    ...You have to remember that Infinity War is not a standalone movie. There's a second part.
    We've only just hit the Act II low-point.

And between Parts I and II, Adam Warlock Captain Marvel is almost certainly going to do a thing.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-05-01 at 09:17 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

I may be misinterpreted as crossing the line with this post, understand this response is in good fun, this is a comic book movie after all

Spoiler
    Show

Clearly the Gauntlet had a limit, so you cannot assume its a magic wand that can solve Entropy
    You mad bro? You mad

Well you may be mad, but your anger and burning rage is nowhere near as much as Thanos. His planet died, and now he must correct everything with his seething rage that makes him sad and thus he will kill half the universe, half of all the planets, with a snap of his fingers.

The truely epic snap can only be done by Thanos, the truly Mad Titan!

All will be solved by him snap his fingers.

A snap so mighty that he can only do it once!

16. - Top - End - #286

I sure was shocked by

Spoiler: At the End
    Show

Black Panther's death. After his big movie...and now he is dead? Though I bet he will get better. Wonder if that was just set in the script from years ago? Or is it sneaky drama? Get people to watch I war 2?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The ending is fine, because...

...You have to remember that Infinity War is not a standalone movie. There's a second part.
    We've only just hit the Act II low-point.

And between Parts I and II, Adam Warlock Captain Marvel is almost certainly going to do a thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I understand that. I could see the reason why they would make a part 2 of that movie. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Infinity War part 1. It just that I didn't like the ending that's all.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I understand that. I could see the reason why they would make a part 2 of that movie. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Infinity War part 1. It just that I didn't like the ending that's all.
    My point is, that it wasn't the ending - it's the middle.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-05-01 at 09:32 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    That's why I said supposedly. I guess "Arbitrarily Almighty Stones" isn't as catchy as throwing a loaded word like "Infinity" is.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Well I'm looking forward for part 2 and the Avenger will come back strong and dish out serious damage to Thanos. Unless the writers will screwed up the outcome of the battle and make Thanos the victor once again. But that's unlikely to happen twice.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't everything in the middle when dealing with the concept of infinity?

Doesn't that really bring new insight into "In medias res" where one of the hallmarks of epic poetry is starting in the middle of things with the epic poem?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Thanos is a Nutbar.
    Show
    Other people have already pointed out how quickly the sentient races of the universe could repopulate from a 50% reduction, but that isn’t the worst of it.

If Thanos has all this grandiose, reality-reshaping power, he could spend a few millennia using all the spare matter in the cosmos—gas giants, Oort clouds, Bok globules, even the supermassive black holes in the hearts of galaxies—and create a host of Dyson spheres and Niven rings, artificial habitats with more surface area than tens of thousands of inhabited worlds.

And he could make millions of them, enough for quintillions of sapient beings. But he doesn’t, because he’d rather massacre people. Nutbar.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    That's why I said supposedly. I guess "Arbitrarily Almighty Stones" isn't as catchy as throwing a loaded word like "Infinity" is.
    The STONES are infinite. But theres always inefficiency in energy transfer. Noone, not even Thanos with his magic gauntlet can use them at 100%
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

I just figured out Thano's plan, he wanted to tap into the quantum realm and turn the entire universe recipents into Schrödinger's cats.

And we all know how Thanos feels about kitty cats. They get the Thanos slap.

Thanos shows his love with the Thanos slap, and Thanos has so much love to give.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...ition-1614252/

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    The STONES are infinite. But theres always inefficiency in energy transfer. Noone, not even Thanos with his magic gauntlet can use them at 100%
    That's a pretty funny way to explain it, I'll give you that.

That said, a non-infinite, arbitrarily low, inefficiency of energy transfer involving infinite energy should still yield infinite energy, shouldn't it?

edit
    @Ramza No need for Thanos to deal with feline crestures. I'm pretty sure that we already killed half of the catgirls in existence with just this conversation
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2018-05-01 at 11:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    I mean that's the THING though, that's 100% correct. Thanos is in pain with each stone he adds to the gauntlet, a thing designed to LET HIM USE THE STONES. He has the personal power to use them, the glove helps, and even then he's hurting himself. And then when he does the snap the gauntlet is DESTROYED. Infinite power cannot actually be held for long.

27. - Top - End - #297

So I got a chance to watch the movie. I loved it. Cheesy villain, and all. I can't wait to go watch it again just to see how much stuff I missed the first time.

Spoiler: The Ending
    Show

So yeah, the end. It falls into that weird grey area where on one hand you expected it, on the other hand didn't think they'd actually go through with it and leave it as the end. I really found that decision to leave one movie where the heroes actually lost very appealing. Yes we know there's another movie coming, and much of the damage will be undone... but the story of how and what must be sacrificed to make it happen is just as important.

Here's my thoughts on where we go from here:
    We have 6 Infinite Stones. 6 Original Avengers, all of whom survived the snap, 4 of whom as someone above pointed out have reason to feel personally responsible for the snap. We also have 1 Broken Gauntlet, and Dr. Strange pulling a 180, after peering into the future, and sacrificing the stone for Tony's life. And on a meta level, we know most of the actors in the original crew are ready to move on to other roles, while many of the dusted heroes have movies announced. Oh, and we also have precedent from Guardians of the Galaxy that a group can combine their will/whatever to use an Infinity Stone.

My bet is that in the next movie the Avengers will grab the Infinity Stones, but lacking the gauntlet to use it will have to do so the old fashioned way. It will take all 6 of the original crew working in concert, each holding one infinity stone, ultimately sacrificing themselves to destroy the stones and restore half the Universe.

Mind you there's a lot of gap filling and where/why/hows, but the general gist of it I feel pretty confident in.

As an aside, when I found out both Captain Marvel and Ant Man 2 take place pre-infinity war, I was pretty disappointed. I would really love to see a handful of movies taking place in this in between period. With Avengers 4 picking up like 6 months to a year later in real time, seeing how the world settled in reaction to half the population vanishing.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That's a pretty funny way to explain it, I'll give you that.

That said, a non-infinite, arbitrarily low, inefficiency of energy transfer involving infinite energy should still yield infinite energy, shouldn't it?

edit
    @Ramza No need for Thanos to deal with feline crestures. I'm pretty sure that we already killed half of the catgirls in existence with just this conversation
    I dont think its actually energy innefficiency, i was just trying to sound smart :P
    Its more like, the gauntlet increases the limit of useable power to an arbitrarily large amount, which doesnt decrease the infinity stones powers in any appreciable way, since they are infinite :P
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

29. - Top - End - #299
    Pixie in the Playground

The movie was orgasmic though it made me hate Star Lord now! I don't even feel bad for the vanished avengers, they're gonna come back anyways.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by donpaul View Post
    it made me hate Star Lord now!
    You mean you didn't start hating him the moment he opened his mouth in GotG1?