New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Avengers: Infinity War

Good article not directly about Infinity War (thus no spoilers) but it does have a clickbait title.

Superheroes Don’t Wear Ponytails, and Yes, It’s Sexist
    https://www.racked.com/2018/4/25/172...-scarlet-witch
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just came back from the theater.

Spoiler: Don't read if you haven't seen the movie
    Show

Okay, some hastily written first impressions.

I really did like it. They handled the massive cast well, though if I had to pick main characters I'd pick Stark and Thor.

It was tightly packed, the action was neat and the amount of quipping was alright.

Couple of things did bother me though:
    • The death toll was so high, I feel like they're going to have to undo a lot of the stuff that happened. I hope they'll handle it well, I'm just afraid it'll negate the events of this movie somewhat. Guess we'll just have to wait a year to find out
      They can use smaller cast on the next movie though
    • I didn't really like how Quill basically screwed up the fight with Thanos. I prefer when one side wins due to their own competence, not due to someone violently grabbing the idiot ball
    • Doctor Strange went down a bit too easily. Then again, maybe he did have something planned...
    • Speaking of wizards, would have liked more of Loki
    • No Immigrant Song when Thor returned towards the end

Other notions... Thanos was abit different than I imagined (I don't really know much about how he's in the comics, so can't tell hiw different this incarnation is). I feel this motovation worked better than 'making Death love him' would have at least.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    Just came back from the theater.

Show

Okay, some hastily written first impressions.

I really did like it. They handled the massive cast well, though if I had to pick main characters I'd pick Stark and Thor.

It was tightly packed, the action was neat and the amount of quipping was alright.

Couple of things did bother me though:
    • The death toll was so high, I feel like they're going to have to undo a lot of the stuff that happened. I hope they'll handle it well, I'm just afraid it'll negate the events of this movie somewhat. Guess we'll just have to wait a year to find out
      They can use smaller cast on the next movie though
    • I didn't really like how Quill basically screwed up the fight with Thanos. I prefer when one side wins due to their own competence, not due to someone violently grabbing the idiot ball
    • Doctor Strange went down a bit too easily. Then again, maybe he did have something planned...
    • Speaking of wizards, would have liked more of Loki
    • No Immigrant Song when Thor returned towards the end

Other notions... Thanos was abit different than I imagined (I don't really know much about how he's in the comics, so can't tell hiw different this incarnation is). I feel this motovation worked better than 'making Death love him' would have at least.
    Also saw it today, so same disclaimer from me.

Spoiler: Actual real spoilers, if you haven't seen the movie, STAY OUT!
    Show
    I think you're missing the obvious choice for who the main character is: Thanos. I really can't see anyone else really fit.

And yeah, Marvel went there. They actually went there. The Snap. Right out of the Infinity War/Gauntlet (forget which) comic book. I knew it was a possibility, but I didn't quite expect them to actually do it.

As for Star-Lord messing up, remember that Doctor Strange saw ONE possible outcome where Thanos loses in the end. And he is most definitely going for the longshot, even if it means letting Thanos win for a while.

And yeah... This movie does not have a happy ending. Or even a bittersweet one. Thanos wins and then the movie ends with half the universe dead. Marvel is playing hardball here. Also, I found it cute that instead of the usual "The Avengers will Return" at the end of the credits, it was "Thanos will return." Just like it was in the other solo movies. Because this movie might as well be called "Thanos: Infinity War".

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The News reported that a theater in Los Angeles has a marvel movie marathon that starts with Iron Man and ends with Infinity War. They have been watching movies for 30 hours so far!

5. - Top - End - #65

Just reading about that makes my back hurt and legs go to sleep. And we have decent(ish) seats in my theater.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

I have not had a spark of interest in Marvel movies in years and I have found them nearly unwatchable from being immensly formuliac.

The idea of Adapting Infinity Gauntlet sounds like a TERRIBLE idea for me since thats not really a good proactive comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

7. - Top - End - #67

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    I have not had a spark of interest in Marvel movies in years and I have found them nearly unwatchable from being immensly formuliac.

The idea of Adapting Infinity Gauntlet sounds like a TERRIBLE idea for me since thats not really a good proactive comic.
    The concern I have is that it will feel like a gimmick.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Show
    I didn't really like how Quill basically screwed up the fight with Thanos. I prefer when one side wins due to their own competence, not due to someone violently grabbing the idiot ball

Spoiler: Here be spoilers
    Show
    I hate how any character acting in character is labeled as "idoit ball".

I very much enjoyed the film, don't have much to complain about really. I mean I don't like Stark's latest armour, but that's not really a make or break thing.

The News reported that a theater in Los Angeles has a marvel movie marathon that starts with Iron Man and ends with Infinity War. They have been watching movies for 30 hours so far!
    I mean I watched 18 movies in 7 days (which i realised was actually 19 movies in 8 days), but all in a row is just super ridiculous.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler: Here be spoilers
    Show
    I hate how any character acting in character is labeled as "idoit ball".

I very much enjoyed the film, don't have much to complain about really. I mean I don't like Stark's latest armour, but that's not really a make or break thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    The "idiot ball" was mostly for comedic effect. I suppose the way the scene was handled just somehow rubbed me the wrong way, though it was not necessarily out of character for Quill to do what he did.

I did like the previous armors better as well, though the new armor had some cool visuals.

No idea how similar the movie is to the comic story line, though I imagine it's only very loosely based.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly I don't think it can end worse than the stupid comic did.

Comic spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nebula just physically removes the Gauntlet from Thanos' hand because he's astrally projecting and somehow, despite being omnipotent and omniscient he doesn't notice. She then reverses everything and eventually Adam Warlock and the heroes take it from her. Also Thanos ends up as a farmer.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Honestly I don't think it can end worse than the stupid comic did.
    Im just truly shocked how anybody cares about these at all. They are immensly replacable with the exact same structure that suffers dearly from the movie format.
    A little condescending

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Im just truly shocked how anybody cares about these at all. They are immensly replacable with the exact same structure that suffers dearly from the movie format.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    My likes of things are so insecure they can't handle criticism
    This is the GITP I know and begrudignly tolerate.
    A little condescending

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

If you don't like the MCU, Scowling Dragon (and big surprise there--you hate something popular; color me shocked), that's fine. But acting like you're surprised that they are popular doesn't make you look cool. It makes it look like you have your head in the sand. These movies have been breaking box office records lately--Black Panther especially, and Infinity War is probably going to do even better.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    But acting like you're surprised that they are popular doesn't make you look cool.
    Its not caring what people think what makes me off the hook!
    In all seriousness chalk it up to a fundemental difference to most people. So for me it is a genuine suprise on some fundemental level.

I do apreciate your apeal to majority. The mob always knows whats best. As we all know, Fast and the Furious 8 is the 13th best film of all time because it made a **** ton of money.
    A little condescending

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

This is your entire shtick. You think you're just so much smarter than everyone else. That liking something that is popular is clearly because we're all mindless sheep. It's sad, but mostly just annoying, that you feel the need to pop into every thread to crap on everyone for actually enjoying stuff. I'm just tired of it. I suspect most of us are.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

This is your entire shtick. You think you're just so much smarter than everyone else.
    Why? Because I have different taste in film?

Im sorry you extrapolated a superiority complex because I disliked something you like.
    A little condescending

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, please don't insult my intelligence, and the intelligence of everyone here, by pretending this is a single, isolated incident. As I said, this is your shtick. This is literally all you do in these forums: look your nose down on everyone else for liking things. Not just the Avengers, but everything.

Find a new shtick, please.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Not just the Avengers, but everything.
    Oh whatever. Maybe people who have the GALL to dislike whatever you dislike don't ENJOY the stuff, and so you have to attribute malice to create a comforting worldview where anybody you disagree with MUST be a bad person.
    A little condescending

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

[LIST][*]I didn't really like how Quill basically screwed up the fight with Thanos. I prefer when one side wins due to their own competence, not due to someone violently grabbing the idiot ball
    [/SPOILER]
    Let's talk about a specific character's action (see spoilers)

Spoiler
    Show

It was very in character of Quill.

1) Remember Quill is the same guy in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 who had a competition with Rocket over who is the better pilot and almost got everyone killed in a macho fight of who is bigger.

2) Everything about Quill is defined by loss and his inability to cope with loss. He fears intimacy because of his inability to cope with loss (see loser speech), yet he tries to become a "guardian" so there will be less loss for both him and for others.

3) He is a man with unresolved feelings, he did not open the cassette tape from his mom for over 20 years for he can't deal with unresolved feelings. He throws a temper tantrum with Gamora in Guardians 2 for she does not want to deal with someone who is so needy and it is not about avoiding the neediness it is about him avoiding his feelings. He says this to Gamora.

QUILL
    You know, this isn’t Cheers after all. It’s whatever the show is where one person is willing to, you know, open themselves up to new possibilities, and the other person is just kind of a jerk who doesn’t trust anyone! It’s a show that doesn’t exist - it would never be made, it would be so horrible! It would get zero ratings!

GAMORA
    I don’t know what Cheers is!

QUILL
    I finally found my family, don’t you understand that!?

GAMORA
    I thought you already had.
    Note in the original script before Gamora says I don't know what Cheers is! She says "You’re having a conversation with yourself!" Because it is true Quill is having a conversation with himself. He is so afraid of loss that he will not open himself up to his feelings, he does not develop "bonds" for his fear of his feelings. Instead he just wants to date, dance, and feel busy in order to fill a void.

4) Quill is still suffering from unresolved feelings from the loss of his adoptive father Yondu.

So of course when another family member dies, Quill just spills over with his emotions and does not think things through. This is in character with Quill for Quill has not had a growth arc yet on this subject.

That said Guardians of the Galaxy has been dealing with this subject matter since the very beginning, for example watch this clips from Movies with Mikey about Guardians 1 (skip to timestamp 11:34 and then have 6 mins of pure feels where Mikey does a good job ... well just watch it.)

If you don't like the MCU, Scowling Dragon (and big surprise there--you hate something popular; color me shocked), that's fine. But acting like you're surprised that they are popular doesn't make you look cool. It makes it look like you have your head in the sand. These movies have been breaking box office records lately--Black Panther especially, and Infinity War is probably going to do even better.
    Black Panther made more money in the US Market than Iron Man 1 (2008, $318 million), Thor 1 (2011, $181 million), and Captain American 1 (2011, $176 million) these 3 movies had a total US sales of $676 million. By contrast as of now Black Panther has a US sales of $683 million. Remember Iron Man 1 was only 10 years ago and it was consider a very good hit sales wise, extremely popular and effective in 2008, and Thor 1 and Captain American 1 may have made less money but they were still seen as box office successes.

I am agreeing with you JadedDM, but I am posting to just marvel (hehe a pun) and stand in aww at the financial success.

There is lots of things to complain about and critique about the Marvel Cinematic Universe but lets be honest, the most recent MCU movies (Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2, Thor 3 Ragnarok, Black Panther, Doctor Stranger are much better story telling experiences in story, visual, music, and themes that all humans can relate to than most of the other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. In my opinion these most recent movies get it right for they deal with the subject of loss, of sacrifice, of change while still keeping a feeling of wonder and beauty in this world that can be quite cruel yet it at the same time beautiful. And flawed characters just highlight this all.)
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2018-04-26 at 07:05 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Just back from the theater
    Show
    Damn that was intense, sadly I couldn't stay for the post credits scene. I weighted my options take the bus home or walk nearly two miles back home. I stand by my choice. One thing I clearly expected going into this was the damage would be so massive, so great the only way to resolve it would be for them to use the stones to undo the damage in part 2 next year.

Some of my favorite moments(excluding fight scenes ),

Learning that Groots language was an elective on Asgard

When little Gamora reached out and took Thano's finger, I fought aww its almost enough to make you forget murderous despot.

Red Skull nuff said.

Peter Dinklage as a dwarf,

Thor's arrival on earth.

I thought they did an excellent job dividing up the heroes into smaller groups so no one scene was to cluttered with heroes.

Was really amazed Stark survived, When he an Pepper talked about kids I figured it was headed straight forhttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomeoneToRememberHimBy. Of course the this was only part one and I'm wagering whomever uses the stones to undo the damage won't survive the process. Dr. Strange gave up the stone to Stark would live so he must have foreseen the only future where they win because of Tony. And because the MCU began with Iron Man its only fitting that this phase ends with him.

And remember to preview posts before posting don't want to screw up the spoiler tags.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    I'll admit I've been in the opposite situation, having been chewed out for not enjoying something (particularly Guardians of the Galaxy, as a fan of literary space opera I just found or boring). Apparently people think that because I like some popular things I must like all popular things, and that it's impossible to like only part of a cinematic universe. This firm is thankfully a place where it doesn't happen.

I'm still uncertain about seeing Infinity War. It's unlikely to have the Civil War problem of 'both sides are legitimate... nope lol Captain Shieldman is in the right', and if what I've heard about Thanks being the effective main character is true my worries about a lack of character development via so many characters might be moot, as Thanos and his supporting cast should get it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

23. - Top - End - #83

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Let's talk about a specific character's action (see spoilers)
    Interesting as it is to talk about how in-character that was, I'd rather focus on the key out-of-character moment.
    Spoiler: Yup, spoilers
    Show
    Namely, Dr. Strange surrendering the Time Stone without trying to use it (after searching the future) and in emphatic contradiction of his earlier promise to value the stone over anyone's life. Makes me curious about a few things, but most importantly, what would have gone wrong with attempts to use the Time Stone directly against Thanos? We'll obviously be finding out more about the overall plan, but I'm not sure if that detail will be covered.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

This is the GITP I know and begrudignly tolerate.
    It's weird that you got that argument out of a picture posted with little to no context other than the comic itself. Like. Really weird. Do you have superpowers? Maybe we should make a Marvel Movie out of you. We'll call you Scarecrow because all your arguments are laid out on a foundation of straw people.

Its not caring what people think what makes me off the hook!
    In all seriousness chalk it up to a fundemental difference to most people. So for me it is a genuine suprise on some fundemental level.

I do apreciate your apeal to majority. The mob always knows whats best. As we all know, Fast and the Furious 8 is the 13th best film of all time because it made a **** ton of money.
    He never said they were good because they were popular. He just said they were popular. That's not an Appeal to Popularity. That's just stating a fact. They're popular. Period. End of discussion. If you want to engage in some fallacies I think, especially with the above, you should try your hand at strawmanning because you're insanely good at it. You're like a reverse psychic, instead of reading people's thoughts you put words in their mouth that weren't there. It's a shame Jaded engaged you on what you said instead of asking you to actually respond to what Malimar posted (and what they posted but doing it for one person seems hard enough for you).

You're allowed to dislike whatever you want and be vocal about it. Doubt that's what people are annoyed over. I think it's when they point out they don't care that you don't like it you immediately accuse them of being shallow, insecure people who can't handle other people's opinions. They can. Not caring about your opinion doesn't mean they can't handle it.

For what it's worth I'd be happy to hear your opinion on Infinity War. When you see it. I don't give two beans about how you feel about the Marvel films in general and I don't care what you think about Infinity War without having the chance to form an actual opinion about the thing. Because then there'll be a conversation worth having.

As to the movie...it was good but it sorta rings hollow when you know all the people who are "dead" are going to probably generally all come back. Not all of them probably. I admit there was a cynical thought in my head in the opening where I thought "and here you hear the sound of contracts running out and not being renewed" as people were killed off. It's also hard to feel impact when you know some of the people who died are going to have more movies because you know they signed a contract specifying a number of film appearances and that number hasn't come due.

Other than that though the movie was great. Thanos was good though I don't really like how he looked. The mention of purple ballsacks, the Grimace of McDonalds and some other good potshots all rang a little too true. Gamora stole the show however. Just a great act all around.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-04-27 at 04:04 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Firstly I dont see how this is a response to anything I said. Secondly if you’re “truly shocked” it seems to point to a huge lack of understanding of humanity in general. Even if you personnally dislike something how is it surprising that the new film in a franchise that has made billions of dollars is going to be enjoyed by many people? What would be shocking would be if this movie flopped and made no money. Expecting people as a whole to suddenly start acting conpletely differently from how they behaved in the past (and not even distant past considering Black Panther’s results recently) is just naive.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, please don't insult my intelligence, and the intelligence of everyone here, by pretending this is a single, isolated incident. As I said, this is your shtick. This is literally all you do in these forums: look your nose down on everyone else for liking things. Not just the Avengers, but everything.

Find a new shtick, please.
    If you don't like something, don't crap on people that do. Find a different thread to post in.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

27. - Top - End - #87

DwarfClericGuy

That was the best movie I've ever seen in theaters.

No movie has ever done what Infinity War just did.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UrielAwakened View Post
    No movie has ever done what Infinity War just did.
    In before
    Spoiler: I guess I'll tag it anyway
    Show
    The empire strikes back, matrix reloaded, deathly hallows part 1, or any other film series where it's sequel was recorded at the same time. Also most comics including the source material the film pulled it's ideas from and season finales.
    Last edited by Mato; 2018-04-27 at 09:27 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    In before
    Spoiler: I guess I'll tag it anyway
    Show
    The empire strikes back, matrix reloaded, deathly hallows part 1, or any other film series where it's sequel was recorded at the same time. Also most comics including the source material the film pulled it's ideas from and season finales.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those didn't spend ten years having you fall in love with the characters, and didn't focus nearly as much on the main antagonist (who is honestly the protagonist).

I say again, what we just witnessed has never been done in film history.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UrielAwakened View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those didn't spend ten years having you fall in love with the characters,
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Infinity War is unique because it's the only franchise you can think of that is ten years old?
    I kind of already mentioned a franchise with a massive plethora of media that waited over thirty eight years before working on killing off all of it's protagonists and their supporting staff. And unlike a comic book, almost all of them will stay dead instead of coming back to life at the end of the next film.

You know you can love the film without inappropriately awarding it special titles right? Plus, I'm not insulting you and saying you watching advertisement cameo Fury die off for the second time that was fully undercut by expecting his immediate resurrection as not being impactful. Rather you could experience your feelings again and again either by watching new media or by realizing context you missed before in media you've seen before. Like Ripley killing her self after thirteen years to keep the Xenomorph out of the company's hands, it was a very epic moment that was also ruined by it's squeals.
    Last edited by Mato; 2018-04-27 at 11:41 AM.