New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (IC)

"We encountered that elk, and were trying to track it, but we got lost." Pierce frown. The elk is probably very important.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #932
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "We encountered that elk, and were trying to track it, but we got lost." Pierce frown. The elk is probably very important.

"Oh I believe it, I do what I can to not leave my lair, I'm worried if I step beyond that threshold I may never return."
    He looks crestfallen.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-07-06 at 08:04 AM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

3. - Top - End - #933
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Come then, you can't get lost when you have friends at your side. Akkila beams at Pierce and Tethys. Join us and maybe we can help you find your way back to your true home.

4. - Top - End - #934

Quote Originally Posted by mtatosky View Post
    Come then, you can't get lost when you have friends at your side. Akkila beams at Pierce and Tethys. Join us and maybe we can help you find your way back to your true home.
    Oltur shifts nervously from foot to foot, weighing his options. "Alright," he says after a moment. "But you must protect me from the dwellers below, and we're taking as much of my horde as we can carry."
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

5. - Top - End - #935
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Akkila laughs at the prospect.

We will carry as much as we can and still be able to keep you safe my new friend!

She smiles

We do have our horse Lomp who can potentially help!

With some thought and concern, maybe a little slow on the uptake Akkila asks a question.

What are the dwellers below?
    Last edited by mtatosky; 2018-07-06 at 04:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #936

Akkila laughs at the prospect.

We will carry as much as we can and still be able to keep you safe my new friend!

She smiles

We do have our horse Lomp who can potentially help!

With some thought and concern, maybe a little slow on the uptake Akkila asks a question.

What are the dwellers below?
    Oltur nods at the mention of Lomp. "A horse will be a great boon."

He brushes a greasy lock of hair behind his left ear, uncovering the graceful, pointed helix of an elf. "The dwellers are the... roots of the forest. Violence and bloodshed beget them, and the awaken to drink their fill. Their bloodthirst and power grows stronger the more blood they taste. The more sacrifice and death that has occurred, the stronger they become, and this forest has seen more than its fair share."

In the silence that follows his explanation, a thin whinny echoes down into the cave carried by the light streaming in.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

Pierce scoops up a few copper coins and heads for the exit.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #938

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Pierce scoops up a few copper coins and heads for the exit.
    Oltur chuckles as Pierce makes to leave. "No, no, these coins were just too much of pain to collect, the actual horde is back here."

He leads them through the small tunnel in the back of the cave, it branches and he takes the left fork. The tunnel ends in a small cave with a large fur rug sewn together from several pelts spread across the floor, atop the rug are an assortment of items, a stump with a plank placed across it for a table, a small box containing a variety of personal affects, and an assortment of tools leaned against the far wall. The grimy elf eagerly pushes the rug clear, and then pulls it back, revealing a plank wooden floor with a trap door in its center.

As he opens the door, the glint of gold bullion shines across his face.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

9. - Top - End - #939
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If the whinney in any way sounds panicked Akkila heads to the exit.

Quite the treasure you have here! Pack up what you would like and we will do what we can to carry it!

Akkila chuckles. Looks like we might have to make a new cart for Lomp!

10. - Top - End - #940

RedWizardGuy

Muun's eyes sparkle when he sees the gold. He thinks, "If I had just a bit of that, I could pay off my debt and buy us some real food."

11. - Top - End - #941

Akkila follows Lomp's whiny out the cave mouth into the brilliant light of the midday sun. Everything is a blinding, overpowering white, and it takes her eyes a moment to adjust. Blinking blearily, she realizes that the hillside into which the cave mouth delves is blanketed in thick, fluffy drifts of snow.

Standing some ten paces down the hill from her between two snowcapped trees is Lomp. The horse's coat gleams in the sun, his main is long and clean, billowing in the breeze. He looks young and full of vigor, as though he was once again a young stallion. As he canters happily toward Akkila, she can't help but marvel at his strength and grace. It strikes her too that they appear to be no where near the canyon and the ruined town, yet somehow Lomp found them.

In the cave, Oltur hands up satchel after satchel of uncured leather, sewn together with large, clumsy stitches, bulging at the seems with fist-sized gold coins, gleaming gems, and various trinkets and baubles. It becomes readily apparent that there is far too much treasure for them to carry out in its entirety, even with the help of Lomp. The grimy elf does what he can to conceal the remainder of the horde once they've loaded themselves with all they can cary, looking dejected to be leaving so much of it behind.

Noticing Muun's gaze, Oltur takes a small pouch from around his neck and hands it to him. "Here, take this, I clearly have more gold than I could ever want." Inside the pouch is a large, perfect pearl, it glitters pink and sea green in the light entering into the cavern. "It's a troll pearl, they are said to possess great value and magical properties."
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

"Right, that's settled." Pierce takes as many bags as he can carry. "Let's get moving."

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #943

The air outside is crisp and cold, a pleasant change from the sulfuric dankness of the caverns. The snow is deep and makes the going slow as the group begins to head down the hill. "So where exactly are we heading?" Oltur asks nervously.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

14. - Top - End - #944

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    Akkila follows Lomp's whiny out the cave mouth into the brilliant light of the midday sun. Everything is a blinding, overpowering white, and it takes her eyes a moment to adjust. Blinking blearily, she realizes that the hillside into which the cave mouth delves is blanketed in thick, fluffy drifts of snow.

Standing some ten paces down the hill from her between two snowcapped trees is Lomp. The horse's coat gleams in the sun, his main is long and clean, billowing in the breeze. He looks young and full of vigor, as though he was once again a young stallion. As he canters happily toward Akkila, she can't help but marvel at his strength and grace. It strikes her too that they appear to be no where near the canyon and the ruined town, yet somehow Lomp found them.

In the cave, Oltur hands up satchel after satchel of uncured leather, sewn together with large, clumsy stitches, bulging at the seems with fist-sized gold coins, gleaming gems, and various trinkets and baubles. It becomes readily apparent that there is far too much treasure for them to carry out in its entirety, even with the help of Lomp. The grimy elf does what he can to conceal the remainder of the horde once they've loaded themselves with all they can cary, looking dejected to be leaving so much of it behind.

Noticing Muun's gaze, Oltur takes a small pouch from around his neck and hands it to him. "Here, take this, I clearly have more gold than I could ever want." Inside the pouch is a large, perfect pearl, it glitters pink and sea green in the light entering into the cavern. "It's a troll pearl, they are said to possess great value and magical properties."

"Thank you," says Muun. "I can use this to help my family." A bit later he does the following:

15. - Top - End - #945
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Akkila marvels at Lomp's new youthful visage. She goes over and pets him down mouth agape.

Lor be praised you have turned into quite the handsome fellow haven't you!

She runs her hands through his clean mane.

And it looks like you've taken us somewhere haven't you boy.

She looks around shocked at the new place.

We are gonna have a new friend joining us soon, so don't be too startled. We will have a little bit of filthy lucre for you to carry

She chuckles a little bit.

Not so filthy after Muun polishes ever bit of it I suppose.

16. - Top - End - #946

Akkila marvels at Lomp's new youthful visage. She goes over and pets him down mouth agape.

Lor be praised you have turned into quite the handsome fellow haven't you!

She runs her hands through his clean mane.

And it looks like you've taken us somewhere haven't you boy.

She looks around shocked at the new place.

We are gonna have a new friend joining us soon, so don't be too startled. We will have a little bit of filthy lucre for you to carry

She chuckles a little bit.

Not so filthy after Muun polishes ever bit of it I suppose.
    Lomp snorts and nuzzles Akkila’s hand, then, distracted by the smell of her acorns begins nibbling at where she stuffed them in her backpack.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

17. - Top - End - #947
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Akkila rubs Lomps nose.

Now now boy, no eating the Acorns, they might be the key to us getting out of here!

She grins and goes back to helping the others get all the loot upstairs and loaded!

18. - Top - End - #948

The sun is high overhead by the time the gold is loaded up and ready to go. Oltur's eyes are full of tears as he leaves his cave, refusing to look back and stalwartly staring forward into the snow-covered trees. The air is crisp and cold, and large gusts of steam billow from Lomps nostrils as he breathes heavily under the weight of his gold.

Their bags are heavy on their shoulders as they begin down the hillside.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Each member of the group carries a satchel containing around fifty pounds of gold coins and valuable items.

Akkila might want to explain to the others about the acorns if you wish to try that path, otherwise, you could set out in hopes of finding the elk's tracks to lead to Timil.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

19. - Top - End - #949
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Akkila pulls out the acorns from her pouch. So, I think I have a possible solution out of here, at least a possible lead on some more information. A raven told me to walk for 3 hours, dropping an acorn each hour. And that would lead us to a place that might help the forest heal. It seems that the forest has coalesced around an evil thats feeding off of violence and bloodshed and has been for years. Thats why it's so strong and why it seems like we keep coming across such wretched places. I vote we give it a try. She looks around at the others trying to gage their reactions. She looks deep into Muuns eyes especially at her mention of violence and bloodshed.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Troll in the Playground

"We should probably try that. It seems like as good a shot as any." Pierce isn't sure the raven can be trusted, but willing to risk it.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #951
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Akkila nods and starts heading off into the woods, doing as the Raven asked, dropping acorns at hour intervals!

22. - Top - End - #952

RedWizardGuy

Akkila pulls out the acorns from her pouch. So, I think I have a possible solution out of here, at least a possible lead on some more information. A raven told me to walk for 3 hours, dropping an acorn each hour. And that would lead us to a place that might help the forest heal. It seems that the forest has coalesced around an evil thats feeding off of violence and bloodshed and has been for years. Thats why it's so strong and why it seems like we keep coming across such wretched places. I vote we give it a try. She looks around at the others trying to gage their reactions. She looks deep into Muuns eyes especially at her mention of violence and bloodshed.
    Muun catches her glance and says. "Any violence or bloodshed on my part was in self-defense or on dead bodies which do NOT count. So don't look at me like that."

23. - Top - End - #953
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Only those guilty of wrong doing has to defend themselves. Akkila walks away from Muun.

24. - Top - End - #954

Akkila does as the raven instructed, dropping an acorn every hour as she walks. Oltur skulks in the back of the party, intently watching Lomp to ensure the bulk of his horde doesn't run off into the forest. Lomp restrains himself from gobbling up the acorns as Akkila drops them, respectful of her wishes.

As they walk, the ground slopes away from them and the trees grow more and more dense. Snow still blankets the ground, but beneath the trees it is thinner and easier to traverse. All around them, the forest echoes with the drips of melting snow and the soft thumps of drifts falling high from branches to the floor below.

Just as Akkila drops her third acorn, a large pocket of snow slips from a bough above them, cascading over the party in a brilliant flurry.

As the snow settles, they can make out a distinctive, crumbling steeple of a building a short distance ahead of them through the trees. The steeple bears the unmistakable icon of lore carved into a weather-worn center stone.

Pushing through the dense trees, they find themselves standing before a crumbling monastery. The building is a large A frame structure, with buttresses extending to the right and left, supporting its high roof. There are gaps in the walls, and the windows appear to have long-since been destroyed. They can make out the vines of a large rose bush twisting around the steeple and poking out from beneath the snow that covers the roof. A pair of large oak doors sit in the center of the building and a small pathway extends to the clearing in which they stand.

On either side of the pathway, blanketed in snow is a well tended, and immaculately maintained garden. Hedges cut in the shapes of trolls, stags, boars, and goblins line the path. To the left of the pathway, hunched low over a small shrub is an emaciated old man. His back is to the group as they approach and he does not seem to notice them.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

25. - Top - End - #955
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hail and well met sir! Akkila shouts out to the man so as not to startle him too badly. We are travelers and would love to shelter near or in the Monastery.

26. - Top - End - #956

Hail and well met sir! Akkila shouts out to the man so as not to startle him too badly. We are travelers and would love to shelter near or in the Monastery.
    The man starts at the sound of Akkila's voice and straightens up, turning to face them. Oltur gasps in surprise and Lomp's ears prick up. The man's skin is waxy and pale, he is incredibly emaciated, even from their distance, the group can clearly make out sharp cheek and collar bones. The skin of his lips is pulled tight over his gums and his teeth are yellowed and rotted. His eyes are sunken and bright with an unnatural light. He wears tattered clothing and holds a trowel in a thin, long-fingered left hand. He raises his right hand in greeting and a crude mockery of a smile stretches across his face.

"Hello travelers! Come, take refuge in this garden for as long as you like, though be wary of Old Man Juniper," he says gesturing at an unkempt shrub flanked by two bushes bearing the immaculate likeness of howling wolves. "He and I have been quarreling recently, and he seems to be in an ill temper."

The shrub he pointed at appears to be nothing more than an ordinary juniper bush.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

27. - Top - End - #957
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

With a bit of caution at the mans appearnece Akkila approaches.Hello....you seem to be....well that is you look like.

Akkila narrows her eyes.

Are you sick? I'm sorry, you look unwell but also you sound so chipper and helpful.

Akkila squints her eyes really hard.

I would take you up on your offer of rest but I do want to make sure you are ok.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

"Can we help you with anything, sir?" Pierce isn't sure how respectful he needs to be.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #959

The man chuckles, a dry, croaking laugh. "You're very kind, but I'm quite alright, I'll admit, gardening has become a bit more laborious in my old age, but it's nothing too strenuous."

He gestures at a decrepit cottage standing near the temple on the outskirts of the garden. "You're welcome to come inside and rest a while, I'm afraid I don't have much food... but it has a roof and a hearth."

He looks inquisitively at Pierce and Akkila. "Say, your armor, are you Dragon Knights yourselves? It's been... been... well I can't remember how long, but it's been quite some time since I've last seen one of your company!"
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

30. - Top - End - #960
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Looks a bit taken aback at being called a dragon knight.

Sir, I am a Paladin of Lor, I have not been knighted by any King. However I would love to hear more about these Dragon Knights, and of course more about yourself and the garden that you stay in. Perhaps I could assist you in your gardening and you can tell me about yourself?