New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (IC)

"There's no fence high enough to keep out rabbits, hmm? Determined little creatures. They'd always pull up the herbs in my mentor's garden at the least opportune times. At least, until she laid an enchantment upon the garden which caused the plants to acquire a taste... less palatable to the creatures."

2. - Top - End - #62

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    Muun notices this and says, "if you want it so much, you can take it. I think my wife would just make me carry a repellent for something more uncommon."
    Thunder laughs, fully engrossed in the discussion. "More uncommon? Does she expect you to encounter, say, Dragon Turtles on a daily basis?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by saltstorming View Post
    Thunder laughs, fully engrossed in the discussion. "More uncommon? Does she expect you to encounter, say, Dragon Turtles on a daily basis?"
    "Well where my wife comes from, she was taught to be ready for anything. 'You never know when someone will break the fourth wall and you'll face something completely unexpected,' she always says, whatever that means," explains Muun.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    Muun notices this and says, "if you want it so much, you can take it. I think my wife would just make me carry a repellent for something more uncommon."

"Well if you insist..."
    Barleybuck smiles and accepts the potion. "Perhaps this might just turn the tide. If not, at least I'll know I'm safe if ever I have the misfortune to be at sea. A halfling's place is below a hill, and I'll happily die having never ventured further than this valley's boarders."
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-20 at 09:14 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by CardboardDragon View Post
    "There's no fence high enough to keep out rabbits, hmm? Determined little creatures. They'd always pull up the herbs in my mentor's garden at the least opportune times. At least, until she laid an enchantment upon the garden which caused the plants to acquire a taste... less palatable to the creatures."
    "An enchantment... That is an intriguing proposition, so long as the enchantment could be worked to repel them and ensure the food is still good to eat, though from what I've heard about magic, I wouldn't dare tangle with something so potent. I'd greatly fear for the implications such an enchantment might have elsewhere in the Skaldlands."
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

6. - Top - End - #66

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    "An enchantment... That is an intriguing proposition, so long as the enchantment could be worked to repel them and ensure the food is still good to eat, though from what I've heard about magic, I wouldn't dare tangle with something so potent. I'd greatly fear for the implications such an enchantment might have elsewhere in the Skaldlands."
    "Perhaps that is so," Jacira says, "though at the time I only considered the incident amusing. It certainly didn't help that these plants were not for eating. I wouldn't have enjoyed the taste of hot peppers clouding out everything else, that's certain! I'm afraid that such magic would not be well suited to your field, even putting aside any potential dangers."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

"We should probably get moving again. Don't want to be late! Thanks for the hospitality and the conversation, Barleybuck. May Lor bless your harvest." Pierce is ready to leave, and he stands to do so.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Akkila takes Pierces lead and also stands, putting her helm back on. Thank you for your hospitality. With a small bow Akkila heads back over the fence to Lomp.
    Last edited by mtatosky; 2018-03-21 at 09:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "We should probably get moving again. Don't want to be late! Thanks for the hospitality and the conversation, Barleybuck. May Lor bless your harvest." Pierce is ready to leave, and he stands to do so.
    Muun remembers his earlier rush, says, "Yes we should probably get moving."

10. - Top - End - #70

PaladinGuy

"Seems that it's time to leave." Jacira rises with a grin. "It's been a pleasure, Sir Barleybrook."

11. - Top - End - #71

Planetar

I would avoid the sea, my little half-folk, there are beasts there that would enjoy the flavour of all that blubber. Buoyancy you may have, but that just makes it easier for the deep ones to find you, silhouetted against the light of the surface. Tethys warns with a rough sense of humour before joining her companions in packing up. And thank you for the dustcakes!

12. - Top - End - #72

Visibly shaken by the imagery of Tethy's comments, Barleybuck stands and addresses the group.

"The pleasure was mine, I never pass up the chance to hear a story or two,"
    he bows low and then picks up his basket. "Fare well on your journey, and if you ever find yourselves in my fields again, don't hesitate to call upon me!"

He ambles toward the road, whistling at his sheep, who file into an neat little line and follow him down the rutted road back toward Harvuck. As he goes, he sings a soft tune about a little girl trading pearls with a troll and fiddles with the vial of shark repellent Muun gave him.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

13. - Top - End - #73

It is past midday by the time you manage to wrangle Lomp back into his harnesses. He looks forlornly at the field as you head back to the road.

The rest of the day passes quickly. The road winds between hedges and rock walls, through small wooded areas and across large meadows. The sun is shining brightly, and at this point, the mist has all evaporated, leaving the air sharp and cool in its wake.

As the sun begins to dip toward the horizon in front of you, the land starts to shift up. The trees begin to grow more dense and the rock walls delineating pastureland grow fewer and farther between. The road has grown harder packed, less travelled, and less muddy. Boulders protrude here and there, and the vegetation has grown drier and thinner.

By nightfall, you have fully left the pasturelands and reached the foothills. The ground has begun sloping up dramatically, and Lomp wheezes under the weight of the cart. It is dark by the time you crest the first hill. The road is little more than a dusty trail at this point, though used often through the summer, the land is dry enough here where wagon wheels make few marks in the earth. Gnarled trees grow at odd intervals on either side of the path, they are whether worn and ancient, a testament to the brutal winter storms that ravage this pass through the winter months.

You are all weary and hungry, the memory of Barleybuck's feast has begun to fade, and the prospect of eating Lubbud's rations is daunting indeed.

Spoiler: ooc skill checks
    Show
    You can press on through darkness, if you like, but it'd probably be a good idea to find a place to camp for the night.

a survival check would be appropriate for locating such a place, and a nature or additional survival check can reveal information about the scabby wilderness you find yourself in now.

Alternatively, a bardic knowledge roll might uncover some legends about this area of the world.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-21 at 01:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Akkila yawns and stretches her arms. Looks like it's about time to break camp, I don't think Lomp is going to make it much further. Anyone wanna pick a good spot? She looks to Pierce first, then over the rest of the group.

15. - Top - End - #75

Planetar

Tethys nods and looks about for a rock or a mossy patch to sit down on. She was unused to walking these distances, and the pebble and sand shores she was used to were much more comfortable than these dusty paths.

16. - Top - End - #76

PaladinGuy

Thumbs up Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (IC)

Jacira steps away from the cart and searches for a suitable place to set up camp for the night.

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show

Survival: (1d20+2)[5]

Nature: (1d20+3)[7]

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by mtatosky View Post
    Akkila yawns and stretches her arms. Looks like it's about time to break camp, I don't think Lomp is going to make it much further. Anyone wanna pick a good spot? She looks to Pierce first, then over the rest of the group.
    Lomp looks elated at the Tiefling's suggestion to stop, though perhaps it's just a coincidence, horses' faces are a bit hard to read.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Tethys nods and looks about for a rock or a mossy patch to sit down on. She was unused to walking these distances, and the pebble and sand shores she was used to were much more comfortable than these dusty paths.
    Tethys's eyes light upon a small patch of dirt about ten paces from the road, there are a few dried out logs that, while not exactly like the driftwood she is accustomed to, are close enough to offer a small ray of comfort in this alien landscape.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

19. - Top - End - #79

Jacira steps away from the cart and searches for a suitable place to set up camp for the night.

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show

Survival: [roll0]

Nature: [roll1]

Jarica is unable to find anything much better than Tethys' patch of earth, blundering around in the dark, she falls several times and scrapes her knee.

She has little knowledge of this part of the world, having spent most of her life in valleys and plains, she is rather out of her element.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-21 at 02:18 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

20. - Top - End - #80

Planetar

Tethys stumbles over to the nearest log and immediately begins to massage her feet. She looks around as she does so, hoping to find a suitable place to camp for the night despite her lack of knowledge of these areas far from the sea.

Spoiler: Skill Check Proper
    Show
    Nature - (1d20+2)[5]
    Survival - (1d20)[7]

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Tethys stumbles over to the nearest log and immediately begins to massage her feet. She looks around as she does so, hoping to find a suitable place to camp for the night despite her lack of knowledge of these areas far from the sea.

Spoiler: Skill Check Proper
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    This seems a good a place as any. Gone is the sound of the waves and the wind, things here are uncomfortably still and quiet. The air is thin, and the hillside feels lonely. High overhead, the stars sprawl in brilliant eddies and currents across the heavens. This is Tethys' first time really seeing the stars. The air along the coast is often foggy and filled with clouds, even on the best of nights, the humidity obscures much of the sky. But here, in the arid dryness of the hills, the sky opens up like a sea of diamonds, rubies, and sapphires.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-21 at 02:57 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

22. - Top - End - #82

PaladinGuy

From somewhere off in the increasing darkness the others hear "Ouch! Is everything around here sharp?" Soon enough Jacira returns to the wagon, nursing her (very minor) wounds. "Perhaps I'll just stay here. What say you, Lomp?" She pats the horse atop the head.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Akkila laughs a little at the sounds coming from the darkness. When Jacira returns there is a small look of concern for her injuries and then a jovial voice comes from the helm. I've slept by plenty of roads before, this will do just fine. Akkila starts to work on unhitching and dressing Lomp down, getting him tied to a picket line between two trees with some grazing nearby. She then starts dressing the horse down, checking the shoes for rocks, and doing some brushing. She also constantly was murmuring to Lomp, saying gentle Lor prayers and asking for health and blessings. If there are any wounds on the horse, or it is showing signs of injury, Akkila will do some health checks on the beast using magic if that would help.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Pierce looks around, searching for somewhere better than what the others found.

Spoiler: survival rolls
    Show
    (1d20+5)[22] to find campsite.
    (1d20+5)[23] to learn about area.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-21 at 05:12 PM.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #85

RedWizardGuy

"Well my friends," says Muun. "Whatever spot we take I'll take the first watch as I am not that tired."

26. - Top - End - #86

From somewhere off in the increasing darkness the others hear "Ouch! Is everything around here sharp?" Soon enough Jacira returns to the wagon, nursing her (very minor) wounds. "Perhaps I'll just stay here. What say you, Lomp?" She pats the horse atop the head.
    Lomp snorts and whinnies, straining against his harness, anxious to be rid of his burden for the night.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by mtatosky View Post
    Akkila laughs a little at the sounds coming from the darkness. When Jacira returns there is a small look of concern for her injuries and then a jovial voice comes from the helm. I've slept by plenty of roads before, this will do just fine. Akkila starts to work on unhitching and dressing Lomp down, getting him tied to a picket line between two trees with some grazing nearby. She then starts dressing the horse down, checking the shoes for rocks, and doing some brushing. She also constantly was murmuring to Lomp, saying gentle Lor prayers and asking for health and blessings. If there are any wounds on the horse, or it is showing signs of injury, Akkila will do some health checks on the beast using magic if that would help.
    Lomp seems very grateful for this special treatment. Though he shows no obvious signs of abuse, it is clear that Lubbud does not take great care of him, there are burs in his mane and his coat is filthy.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    you can make health checks to check him for more than these obvious signs of neglect.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-21 at 05:49 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Pierce looks around, searching for somewhere better than what the others found.

Spoiler: survival rolls
    Show
    [roll0] to find campsite.
    [roll1] to learn about area.
    In his brief, but incredibly observant survey of the surrounding area, Pierce manages to locate a small hollow a few hundred feet from the road. There is enough space here for the wagon and your bedrolls. A large pair of rocks boarder the eastern rim of the hollow, and beneath them grows a lush bed of grass. A small spring flows from the hollow, trickling down the hill and out of sight. Lomp is overjoyed by the sight of grass and fresh water.

Spoiler: information about the hills
    Show
    Despite their proximity to both Harvuk and Jotun-Heid, these hills remain unpopulated and largely unexplored. Stories abound about cave trolls, hill giants, and bats the size of horses, but the true reason for the lack of civilization up here is the weather. Through most of the year, the hills lay under a thick blanket of snow and ice, they are constantly ravaged by wind and lightning. What vegetation does grow here is tough and cruel. Farming is near impossible. Wolves are a persistent threat.

It's lucky that you found the hollow, as sleeping by the road would've left you exposed to the elements and predators alike.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-03-21 at 05:50 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Pierce yells, "There's a better campsite over here, unless you want to sleep on the road?"

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Lomp seems very grateful for this special treatment. Though he shows no obvious signs of abuse, it is clear that Lubbud does not take great care of him, there are burs in his mane and his coat is filthy.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    you can make health checks to check him for more than these obvious signs of neglect.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[8] Medicine roll? To check on Lomp?