New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1153
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [dnd 5e] Skaldlands (IC)

Pierce pulls out the Raven's beak. "This should lead us back."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Barbarian in the Playground

Following Timil's instructions, Pierce leads the trio back into the woods, the lake, and Oltur's petrified remains soon eclipsed by low hanging branches and high roots. The forest feels different, lighter, more open. The branches are not so claustrophobic, rays of light plunge through the canopy above and illuminate their path. A light breeze stirs the air around them and the calls of birds and squirrels put them at ease.

After an hour or so of walking uphill, the ground begins to level out, and after a minute, the trees open before them to reveal a stunning view. They stand at the edge of a large crag, jutting from the forest floor. The trees extend before them like a massive verdant ocean. The cliff edge extends upward to their right and perched on its edge at the apex is a small, low hut. A thin wisp of smoke trails from its stucco chimney.

As they approach Timil's hut, an excited whinny greets them. Lomp prances toward them, his mane clean and long, his coat glossy and full. He nuzzles Pierce and Muun, excited to be reunited with his companions. He regards Godric with tepid curiosity.

Hearing the horse's excited call, Timil emerges from his hut. He looks surprised to see them, his pipe almost dropping from his mouth. "Well call me a goblin's godfather..." he says incredulously. "Welcome back! Who's your new friend?"

Before they can answer, Alvida's low bugle draws their attention. With a wide smile, Godric rushes to her side, meeting her close to the tree line and embracing her. She jumps around him excitedly, her white coat flashing in the midday sun.

Timil looks dumbfounded, having never seen Alvida take to a stranger so quickly.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Troll in the Playground

"You'll never believe it, but that's the saint himself. Reports of his death were greatly exaggerated. The curse on this forest has been lifted, we should be able to leave now." Pierce grins ear to ear as he tells the news.

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #1114

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "You'll never believe it, but that's the saint himself. Reports of his death were greatly exaggerated. The curse on this forest has been lifted, we should be able to leave now." Pierce grins ear to ear as he tells the news.
    Timil's jaw fully drops, pipe spilling its tobacco onto the rocky ground at his feet. "I- I-" the old dwarf is lost for words, stammering and happy, he busies himself collecting small items from his home, dragging out Oltur's bags of gold as he does so and making ready to leave.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

5. - Top - End - #1115

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gabado;23532561
    Godric eyes Muun up and down.[COLOR="#008000"
    "That is a rather odd affectation, I can't say that I have seen such a curse before. How did this happen to you?"[/COLOR] After listening to Muun's story, he nods somberly. "I see, I see. The plants shielded you from the wards placed upon my tomb. This is a powerful enchantment, though I do believe it is one that could be reversed. To the east, across the sea of Ruthva'err lay the Elven Isles. When I was still young, I journeyed for a time with a wise and learned elf named Calth. He was a herbalist and alchemist without peer. Though I cannot say how long it has been since last I saw him, I am certain he yet lives. If anyone could heal your affliction, it would be him."
    "Where do you think he would be," Muun asks.
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Spoiler: Bad Guys Win Campaign Links
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1116

Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    "Where do you think he would be," Muun asks.
    Godric scratches beneath Alvida's chin as he considers Muun's question. "Last I heard he had settled among his kin in the elven isles. He is ancient even by their standards, venerable in body but sharp in mind, and I doubt that he would be inclined to travel much these days. Travel there and consult with the elves, they will likely know where to find his garden."

Timil emerges from his hut, a knapsack fashioned from the business-end of a bear slung over his shoulder. He leans on a weathered and rusty battleaxe, both excited and impatient to leave, the anxiety to be rid of the forest clear on his bearded face.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Troll in the Playground

"Timil, do you know of anyone else in the forest who might want to escape as well?" Pierce asks.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #1118

"Timil, do you know of anyone else in the forest who might want to escape as well?" Pierce asks.
    Timil raises an eyebrow, looking the two of them up an down. "How do you feel about giants?"
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

9. - Top - End - #1119

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    Godric scratches beneath Alvida's chin as he considers Muun's question. "Last I heard he had settled among his kin in the elven isles. He is ancient even by their standards, venerable in body but sharp in mind, and I doubt that he would be inclined to travel much these days. Travel there and consult with the elves, they will likely know where to find his garden."

Timil emerges from his hut, a knapsack fashioned from the business-end of a bear slung over his shoulder. He leans on a weathered and rusty battleaxe, both excited and impatient to leave, the anxiety to be rid of the forest clear on his bearded face.
    Muun doesn't like the sound of such a long trip, but is glad he at least has something to lead him on.

Timil raises an eyebrow, looking the two of them up an down. "How do you feel about giants?"
    "If you mean that one we ran into, he seemed safe." Muun says.
    Show

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Show

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Troll in the Playground

"Barkbull was helpful. Didn't we get directions to find him again?" Pierce tries to remember.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #1121

Muun doesn't like the sound of such a long trip, but is glad he at least has something to lead him on.

"If you mean that one we ran into, he seemed safe." Muun says.
    "Barkbull was helpful. Didn't we get directions to find him again?" Pierce tries to remember.
    "Yes! Old Barkbull!" Timil beams, excited they've met. "As it so happens, I know a path to where he likes to lay his head. Though when we arrive, I might need help rousing him, he can be as stubborn as an old mountain when his mind is against moving." The dwarf stoops and scrapes a handful of moss from a large rock at his feet. Holding it up in the light he grimaces and stuffs the moss into his mouth.

"Hurry and follow," he says, his voice choked by the dense moss. "I don't know how long I can keep this in my mouth."

His cheeks and nose bright red, the dwarf trots briskly off into the wood, not stopping to see if the others are following. Godric glances at the two and Lomp with a bemused grin. Shrugging, he follows Timil into the forest, Alvida in toe.

After twenty or so minutes of a hurried walk, the droning roar of Barkbull's thunderous snoring reaches their ears. They find him asleep where they left him, spread eagle on a bed of thick, springy moss, a whole flock of swallows now nesting in his bushy beard. Timil spits out his mouthful of moss, hacking and coughing at the edge of the clearing and gesturing for Muun and Pierce to wake the slumbering giant.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    @bc56, I see your spoiler says you have limited availability. No worries, we're in the final wrap up of the adventure and we can take our time.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Troll in the Playground

Pierce walks over to Barkbull and shakes his shoulder, less than gently. After all, a giant probably needs a lot more force to awaken than a human."Hey, wake up!"

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #1123

Pierce walks over to Barkbull and shakes his shoulder, less than gently. After all, a giant probably needs a lot more force to awaken than a human."Hey, wake up!"
    The giant twitches and snorts, his snoring momentarily interrupted by Pierce's shout. He blinks down at the half elf standing at his shoulder, blinking blearily in the midday light.

"Hmmm what is this? My dreams seem to be repeating themselves, hello little sprite, welcome back to my clearing." His voice is slow and befuddled by sleep.

"You're not dreaming you oaf!" Timil shouts between dry heaves. Barkbull seems confused by the outcry and looks around him in confused bewilderment.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

14. - Top - End - #1124

RedWizardGuy

"We came here to wake you up, so we can all leave this forest together,"
    Muun explains.
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #1125

"We came here to wake you up, so we can all leave this forest together,"
    Muun explains.
    "Leave?!" This seems to perk the giant up, and he rubs his eyes excitedly, scattering birds which fly squawking through the clearing and into the sky above. "Speak little friend, by what means are we to escape?!"
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

16. - Top - End - #1126

RedWizardGuy

"Just Walking," Muun says simply.
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #1127

"Just Walking," Muun says simply.
    Barkbull lets out a guttural laugh, slapping his leg. Then, realizing Muun isn't laughing with him pauses and furrows his brow. "You can't be serious? I've been walking for decades in this blasted wood, have you found a path?"
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-12-11 at 02:47 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

18. - Top - End - #1128

RedWizardGuy

Barkbull lets out a guttural laugh, slapping his leg. Then, realizing Muun isn't laughing with him pauses and furrows his brow. "You can't be serious? I've been walking for decades in this blasted wood, have you found a path?"
    "The reason that you couldn't have left earlier is because there was an enchantment on the forest. We fixed that," he responds. "Let's go."
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #1129

"The reason that you couldn't have left earlier is because there was an enchantment on the forest. We fixed that," he responds. "Let's go."
    "Ah is that so?" Barkbull is fully awake now, the promise of freedom having swiftly roused him. He clambers to his feet, causing the earth to tremble beneath his bulk as he leans heavily on a pine for support. Muun stands barely as high as Barkbull's knees and must shout up to the giant to be heard.

Stooping low, Barkbull squints down at their faces staring up at him, he extends a hand down toward them. "Lead on little ones, point the way and Barkbull will carry you."

Godric mounts Alvida and pulls Timil up behind him. "Follow me sir giant, I will find us our path."

Alvida leads the way, her white coat gleaming like an iridescent diamond in the pools of light that permeate the foliage above. Lomp follows her closely, seemingly unencumbered by the gold in his saddle bags. Barkbull brings up the rear, his gate long and measured. He holds Pierce and Muun close to his chest and as he walks, they can hear the chirping of hatchlings drifting from his dense beard above them.

As the day draws on, the trees grow lower and less dense. Gone are the massive boulders and hissing brooks. The dense underbrush of the inner forest gives way to open clearings of light grass and wildflowers. As the sky above begins to turn crimson and yellow, small pools of fog can be seen clinging to the roots of trees.

The fog grows and billows out as the night closes in, until at last, Godric holds up a hand for them to stop. The fog now thickly blankets the ground around them. The sky above is a deep purple, and a few stars have begun to show themselves. As Barkbull sets the companions down, their movements throw eddies of fog up around them like currents dislodging silt in a stream. Before them, a curtain of mist hangs between the trees like a veil, a dark grey wall blocking all sight.

"This is where Alvida and I must say our farewells." Godric's voice is somber and pained, as he dismounts and helps Timil to the ground. He gestures as the wall of mist. "I have taken you as far as I may. Beyond that veil lays your home, the living lands. I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me. You have broken my curse, and my spirit is forever in your debt."

He bows his head in solemn thanks.
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-12-12 at 12:25 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

20. - Top - End - #1130

RedWizardGuy

"Yeah, you're welcome." Muun says, "Thanks for the help."

After he says this, he waits for Pierce and will go through the veil with him.
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Troll in the Playground

"Ready?" Pierce looks at the veil in anticipation, not sure what they'll see on the other side.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #1132

RedWizardGuy

Muun walks across the veil, hoping this isn't some trick and hoping the wyrm was lying about the amount of time that passed.
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Troll in the Playground

Pierce follows, giving a solemn nod farewell to Godric.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #1134

Godric extends his hand in farewell. Alvida standing beside him lets out a low, somber bugle as Timil and Barkbull follow the companions into the mist.

A moment later, the world behind them is swallowed in swirling eddies. The moisture in the air clings to their clothes and hair. A soft whispering surrounds them, at first sorrowful and dirge-like, but as they walk, the hissed voices grow more chromatic, joyful even, swelling around them until, just as a ray of sunlight penetrates the thick fog ahead, the voices swell into a chorus of bird calls.

They have left the forest. Stepping from the fog, they find themselves on a grassy slope. Rocks and boulders protrude from the hillside, but there is not a sapling in sight. The sunlight on their faces brings a welcome warmth, and the breeze flowing across the hill is a welcome change from the claustrophobic, dead air of the forest. The forest! Perhaps a mile off, down the slope, they can make out the tips of the trees protruding like skeletal fingers from the fog.

"Never will I set foot in there again" Timil murmurs, his voice a bit shaken as he blinks, unaccustomed to the bright, direct sunlight.

A little ways up the hill, Muun and Pierce notice an old, abandoned wagon standing beside a little dirt path that winds up and over the rise. Grass has grown around and through the wagon, though as they approach it, they recognize it as the one they took from Harvuck. The sacks of provisions have long since been pilfered by rodents and other creatures, but the wagon itself looks to be in reasonable working order, if not a bit rusty. Lomp looks dismayed at the though of being harnessed to it once again.

"Well friends, what now? Where will you go?" Barkbull stretches in the sun, towering over them like the mighty pines they left behind.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

25. - Top - End - #1135

RedWizardGuy

"The decay on this thing isn't that extreme. Maybe the wyrm's vision hasn't come to pass. Since the supplies are gone, we should probably head back to the town to get another load to trade. Also, this diamond Oltur gave me should pay for the rent."

Muun then helps Pierce hitch Lomp to the wagon.

Show
    Funny how we're the only ones left.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-12-15 at 02:33 PM.
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #1136

"The decay on this thing isn't that extreme. Maybe the wyrm's vision hasn't come to pass. Since the supplies are gone, we should probably head back to the town to get another load to trade. Also, this diamond Oltur gave me should pay for the rent."

Muun then helps Pierce hitch Lomp to the wagon.

Show
    Funny how we're the only ones left.
    Lomp exhales exasperatedly, unhappy to be hitched to the wagon. His heavy saddlebags make a satisfying clink when Pierce and Muun place them in the back of the wagon, a few gold coins slipping out onto the weather-worn wood.

Timil squints up at the sky. "Odd, we left the forest at twilight, but I'd put the sun at just passed mid day." He tilts his head and then looks back at the giant. "Well I'm headed west, Barkbull, if you'd care to join, I wouldn't spurn the company."

Barkbull nods, and the two make ready to say their goodbyes, thanking Muun and Pierce repeatedly. "If ever you find yourselves in the Iron Hills in need of a roof and a warm hearth, don't hesitate to call upon me." "And when the life of the farmer seems to you too dull to bear, join me in the halls of my grandfathers, and I will show you works of art yet unmatched by human hands."

Show
    yeah it's a bummer more didn't stay through til the end, though I certainly can't blame them for getting burned out or just having different tastes in game. I'm glad you both stayed to see it wrap up!
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-12-15 at 03:20 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

27. - Top - End - #1137

RedWizardGuy

"Thanks for the offer," Muun says to Barkbull as he leaves.

Show
    So, anything else left, besides heading back to town.
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Troll in the Playground

"Thanks for the offer, but I need to get home. Who knows how long we've been gone. Farewell, friends." Pierce is already heading in the direction of town at a brisk walk.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #1139

Muun and Pierce quickly make it to the ridge-line, Lomp following them with the cart. Casting a final look back, they can still make out Timil and Barkbull wandering away in the opposite direction, the dwarf and giant making for rather absurd traveling companions. They can catch one last glimpse of the forest as they crest the hill, it looms ominously behind them, shrouded by mist and clouds.

The road ahead winds through the uplands, snaking between large boulders and across small brooks. Wildflowers bloom in the grass on either side of the path, and the air bears the unmistakable sharpness of spring. Within a few hours, they start to see familiar terrain. An hour later and their nostrils fill with salt and brine, the sea is close at hand!

The trail widens to a road, muddy and well-trodden, and small stone walls begin to line it, marking off various fields and pasturelands. They pass by Barleybuck's field, and as they do, they catch a glimpse of the old halfling, standing with his dog in a patch of sunlight, staring at them incredulously.

It is evening by the time they reach the town center. The townsfolk are heading home, packing up their market wares, and securing food and other sundry goods for the trek back to their homesteads. As they pass through, the villagers around them grow silent, staring at them with amazement and shock. Muun in particular seems to be catching a lot of attention, his crimson scales gleam in the setting sun shining at their back.

"Muun!" Anatya's voice cuts through the murmuring of the crowd and a moment later she catches him in a tight embrace. "Wha- what happened to you, where have you been?!"

"Dad?" Kendra elbows her way toward Pierce, her cheeks shining with tears. She's grown taller since they left, a young woman now, not the teenager he remembers. She tosses aside a basket of day old bread from Cwen's bakery and embraces him, then pulls back with an angry look on her face. "We thought you were dead!"
    Last edited by gabado; 2018-12-16 at 12:42 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

30. - Top - End - #1140

RedWizardGuy

Muun grabs her tightly, he wants to kiss her, but feels a little self-concious over his new scales. "H-how long were we gone?" he asks.
    Show

Show