New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Exploring Borealum [IC]

The Borealum
    Life is never simple near the border of Holds of Belkzen. A constant threat of orcish raids looms over the population, but now, there have been other rumblings. The mountain stirs once more. Beneath it’s crags, cliffs and rocks, there’s evil in its core. For months now, the villages nearby have been ravaged by a monster, and trackers have found that it has come from the depths of Borealum. This underground complex, rumours claim, dates back thousands of years, and has been cleared several times over the recent centuries, most recently by the great hero Boreale, who named it after himself.

As for the monster, none that have seen it lived to tell the tale. It is large, certainly, and strong. Possibly intelligent as well. Multiple village leaders have promised rewards for proof of its demise. To defeat this beast, a team has been assembled by Patrick Wands. Joining him were Shen, Brac Foster and Sellyn Keribaen. In addition to that, a few other people are joining you in a more assistant capacity.

The entrance, large double doors smashed open from within, greet you at the entrance. Your first campsite will be the antechamber. A large, open space large enough to shelter your mounts, and with only the entrance deeper into the dungeon and the exit from the dungeon, it is reasonably defensible. Several support columns have been broken, while others still stand. Crude carvings cover parts of the wall, too worn to be read anymore, or else written in languages you barely understand. Sellyn recognises some goblin markings, claiming ownership for the Bullfrog tribe. The doors further within is open, revealing a 10-ft wide corridor that leads to a descending staircase.

Spoiler: Assistants
    Show
    Wilhelm: Male Half-orc Warrior, eager to build a reputation as a fearsome warrior. Self-proclaimed disciple to Patrick, who defeated him in combat.
    Kabanos: Male Halfling Adept, who, infinitely curious and utterly fearless, wants to see the monster. Does not want to actually fight it. Advances to Druid
    Atrisia: Female Human Expert, who wants to repay Sellyn for saving her life. Not really a fighter, but she has other skills. Advances to Unchained Monk
    Henry: Male Human Commoner, an earnest young apprentice to Brac, but his talents seem to lean to a different direction.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Exploring Borealum [IC]

"Hello team I'm your leader Patrick Wands. This is going to be some exciting adventure. If anyone got any questions feel free to ask."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2018-03-18 at 08:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Brac looked at the entrance in awe. He wondered if anyone here would be able to return to the surface. Still, he knew about the risks, even a few days ago, when he requested to join the expedition mostly out of a desire to explore and hone his skills. "Well,we are ready to start whenever you want." Brac informs the rest.

"Lets be careful when we start and try to stay together. We dont want to lose anybody on this journey. " Herwyn adds with a tone of concern.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Tracing his fingers over the goblin markings, Sel faces the entrance with a frown. The stories of this place were superfluous and varied by their very nature due to the sheer number of people who had wandered in here. They were a bit like the fisherman's tales Sel remembered hearing, growing up along the river. Where the fish got bigger every time someone told the tale. Except in the case of this dungeon, the 'fish' were the monsters inside. Sellyn wasn't sure what to believe about the place, what was true and what was simply myth, but years as a mercenary had taught him to choose his battles carefully, and to never go into a situation unprepared. Turning to the rest of the group, his sharp green eyes evaluate each other adventurer. They were all braced to face danger. But none of them actually knew what might be inside this place. "We'll be all right," he says all the same, giving the group a rueful grin and hefting his shield a bit higher. "I'll try and get between you all and anything particularly nasty. Speaking of which... seems there may be goblins in here, at least on the upper floors. These marks, here," he gestures to them, in case anyone else could read the faded, crude writing better than he could. "They claim this place for the Bullfrog tribe. Has anyone heard of them before?" he questions, wracking his own brain for anything he might have heard about this particular clan of Goblins.

Spoiler: Knowledge Check
    Show
    Rolling Knowledge (Local) untrained.
    (1d20+2)[18]

And Linguistics to see if there's any more writing I can pick out. (Trained in Linguistics)
    (1d20+6)[25]
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-03-18 at 01:49 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Shen sticks on the end of the group glad to see that doors will fit his mount "Goblins.. I don't belive anyone speaks their language? Am I right."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick responds to Shen response.

"I only speak Common. I would be surprised if the Goblins speak Common. That would make the communication a lot easier if they wanted to cooperative with us."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can speak Goblin. Though it's been a little while, I might be a bit rusty," Sel tells the others. He'd picked up the language while he had been a mercenary. He'd often worked with Goblins and Orcs back then, and had picked up a few turns of phrase that most didn't know. He wouldn't call himself fluent, exactly, but he knew enough to navigate a conversation. "If we run across any, let me try talking to them," he continues. He looks to Patrick, then. "Shall we get moving?"

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    "I can speak Goblin. Though it's been a little while, I might be a bit rusty," Sel tells the others. He'd picked up the language while he had been a mercenary. He'd often worked with Goblins and Orcs back then, and had picked up a few turns of phrase that most didn't know. He wouldn't call himself fluent, exactly, but he knew enough to navigate a conversation. "If we run across any, let me try talking to them," he continues. He looks to Patrick, then. "Shall we get moving?"
    "Yes. I'm ready than you are."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Brac was a bit curious about one of his companions request when finding goblins but decided to remain on subject. Knowing the place could be dangerous, Brac gives a mental command to Herwyn to search for traps. "This wil only take a moment." he replies to the others. Herwyn begins his search around the entrance.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Perception (1d20+4)[11]
    And if any traps are found: (1d20+14)[23]
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The doorway and the stairs are trapless. There is no light beyond, so you will need to either bring some along yourselves, or recruit one of your followers to carry a torch or something. The stairs continue down to a landing around 30 feet away, with two doorways, one on either side.

As for the writings, little more is evident than what you had noted already.

Show
    If you are attempting to be stealthy, roll Stealth.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Allow me to go first," Sellyn says to the others, furrowing his brow for a moment and whispering a soft word in Elven which causes his shield to start glowing. It should provide enough light for everyone to easily see by. He starts down the stairs, taking caution on the aged steps even if there are no traps - he doesn't want to slip.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casting Light on my shield.

Not sure how stealthy I can be with a glowing shield, but here's a check: (1d20-4)[14]

Wow, not bad for a -4 penalty! Though any penalty the GM wants to impose considering I'm glowing is fair.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-03-19 at 01:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Ok." said Patrick as he allow Sellyn to go first. Then he go stealthy.

Stealth: (1d20+1)[4]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, since we are working on our formation. I believe I should be just in front the last one. Without proper armor, it would be benefitial if potential enemies remain within range. In the middle we could keep our assistants with less fighting capabilities." Brac decides to suggest to Patrick. Despite apppearances, Brac wasnt really good at stealth. He just hoped he would keep the pace with the rest.

"In the middle we could keep our assistants with less fighting training. I believe I should stay at the very back. I have a good sense of smell and it will be a lot harder to be taken by surprise." Herwyn adds before addressing Henry directly. "Henry, stay away from trouble and try to keep yourself in the middle of the group." He moves trying to be stealthy.

Show

Stealth Brac: (1d20+1)[3]
    Stealth Herwyn: (1d20+2)[16]
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I agree. We must be vigilant, people and eidolon."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I myself could guard as despite having no armor I don't think of myself usable to take a hit see how others make their, rather poor attempt at stealth Shen tries confine his horses to do the same.

Handel animal (d20+5)[21]
    Stealth (d20-2)[-1]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You descend down to the landing. Your light shines into two rooms, one on either side. On your left, a corridor that runs beyond the reach of your light. To your right, a chamber with another doorway, this one with a closed door. The room is messy, with large piles of rubble and debris, and is about 20 feet wide and thirty long, with the door on the far side. There is a rustling sound from the right, and Brac, Shen and Selly think they saw something skulking in the shadows, but couldn't make out what it was. Certainly nothing humanoid.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Get ready everyone. I feel like we not the only who's here at this point."

Mauler get his Greatsword ready.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Sel lifts his shield a bit higher, hoping it will cast more light through the room so they can get a better look inside. "Who's there?" he calls, first in Common, then in Goblin. He doesn't think whatever he saw fit the shape of a goblin, exactly, but with the markings on the door, he thought it best to be on the safe side.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Shen louds his cross-bow "anyone has light scource? they may try ambushe"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

"So....are we going to the right to find out what exactly we just saw?" Brac asks the others when he sees them prepapre for combat. He knew he had to be careful with his magic. Right now, it was a really limited resource. He decides to prepare his longsword in case of engagement instead. Herwyn followed the mood and prepared himself for the posible combat. "I will guard everyone´s back." He declares reassuringly.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There is no reply. There is a rapidly repeating scrabbling noise, like many limbs moving across a rocky surface, on the right side of the doorway, behind a low pile of rubble. Out of it charges a segmented, many-legged and long creature. A centipede, easily six feet long with mandibles the length of your hand rears up, charging at Sel, the one holding the light. While you were alert, its attack was still quite sudden.

Show
    (1d20+4)[9] vs flat-footed AC
    (1d6-1)[5] damage. It also applies poison, so roll a Fortitude save if you get hit.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Shen fier his crossbow at the crature. Making sure to keep 80ft distance between himself and the centipede.

atack: (d20+6)[26]
    dmg: (d10)[7]
    init: (d20+5)[6]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The centipede dies, impaled by the crossbow bolt.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Sel lets out a deep breath as the creature goes still, nudging it out of their path with his shield. He turns to Shen. "Hell of a shot," he compliments with a grin. "Thing looked like it might be nasty. Couldn't get through my armor, though," he says with some pride, tapping his free hand against his breastplate. He turns back to the room, then, looking around for any more of the creatures.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+3)[16]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Great job Shen. I hate creepy crawlies. Especially creepy crawlies with so many legs."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

"That was amazing! I am not sure how you did it but it was really great." Brac declares in surprise. He wondered if he had previous experience dealing with such creatures. "So, where do we go next?"
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    "That was amazing! I am not sure how you did it but it was really great." Brac declares in surprise. He wondered if he had previous experience dealing with such creatures. "So, where do we go next?"
    "I say we keep going."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Shen get a little embersed with all that praise "that's, I must say I'm surprised to see it fall like this"
    Last edited by Greenflame133; 2018-03-21 at 11:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Sel, after looking around the room, nods to the others. He takes point again, leading the way into the room and holding his magically illuminated shield aloft so that they could see a little better, if there was anything of interest in the room.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You find a skeleton in the room. It has scraps of clothing, and a small bag that contains three iron vials, as well as broken glass, possibly further vials. The only exits from the room you're in are the way you came from and a closed door.

Show
    You can recognize the species of the creature with a knowledge (local) check.
    Identifying the liquids is Perception or Craft (alchemy).