New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Unique combat styles?

I was wondering if people had different or unique ways to fight (using your surroundings and stuff like that)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Unique combat styles?

Quote Originally Posted by D&DecentPeople View Post
    I was wondering if people had different or unique ways to fight (using your surroundings and stuff like that)
    Do you mean something that as a mechanical effect (ex: +1d4 to damage if you do X) or just fluffing the fighting a certain way?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

You have Tavern Brawler for improvising and surroundings... and it helps grappling

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Thief Rogue has a fairly unique style, utilising Fast Hands to manipulate terrain and mould the battlefield to their own design.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I'm playing a very low damage grappler that is a blast. Grapple/prone, throw people out of Windows or over cliffs, and just generally set up our GWM Barb and rogue with easy advantage. I'm usually unarmed so damage is flat 1+str, but locking down big threats and setting up allies is quite fun. High athletics has other combat uses, my favorite so far was winning initiative and flipping a stone sarcophagus on top of a mummy before it could move out of it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Well there is the fighting style class feature that fighters, rangers, paladins and some bards get, and there are a handful of weapon-specific feats (including some extras found in UA). One of those is tavern brawler which allows better use of improvised weapons such as table legs.

In theory you could also specialize in wierder weapons by choosing something out of the ordinary for Eldritch Knight fighter, Blade pact warlock or Kensai monk.

Edit: Oh and there's a bundle of ways to specialize in grappling and/or shoving as part of combat, and a couple ways to mix in using items or spells as part of fighting.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2018-03-18 at 05:28 PM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

My gnome ranger does a lot of flipping and jumping off walls. Doesn't affect combat, but it's fun to roleplay.
    All must obey the high lord

I am not responsible for any gremlins left on the property

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Not sure I understand OP's question, but other than the "hit your enemy to cause maximum damage", the most popular fighting styles I can think of are:

- Grapple/shove and hit, or let your friends hit.
    - PAM/Sentinel to control the battlefield.
    - Rogue's "hit and run" or "hit and "hide".
    - Booming blade + move away.

Nothing unique, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    In theory you could also specialize in wierder weapons by choosing something out of the ordinary for Eldritch Knight fighter, Blade pact warlock or Kensai monk.
    Kensai monk is a great example; since the monk's text indicates you can refluff your weapons and the kensai can choose any weapon existing, one could argue they can use any "exotic" weapon they want.
    Last edited by Eric Diaz; 2018-03-18 at 05:59 PM.
    Methods & Madness - my D&D 5e /OSR /game design blog.
    *5e: easy survival rules. Bringing balance to the Forge (yup!). Fort/Ref/Will.
    *OSR: One page hacks, my answer to retroclones. Would love to take ONE PAGE from YOUR book!
    *3e x 4e x 5e - Can you trip an ooze? Are miniatures required?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, as this is about tactical choices that are unusual, one of the rather strong ones with multiple players involved is a Fighter with Mounted Combatant and Polearm Master riding a Moon Druid with Sentinel. What ends up happening is that you have almost constant Advantage on the Fighter from Mounted Combatant (most impressive with the four-attacks Fighter) and the size-changing Druid, while the Druid gets to Opportunity Attack any adjacent enemy that tries to attack either player because the Fighter redirects attacks at the Druid to them with Mounted Combatant. Also, the Druid takes no damage from Dex-half saves they pass, because of Mounted Combatant... Swapping the Fighter for a Spirit Barbarian means that you have rapid response from the Druid's movement capacity carrying a large damage reduction and significantly more per-hit damage, though with fewer attacks per round getting the Advantage.

---

Another "build" of somewhat similar nature is any Rogue with Magic Initiate (Wizard), War Caster and Blade Mastery as feats. Magic Initiate gets you Booming Blade (or Green Fire Blade) and Shocking Grasp, as well as 1/Long Rest Find Familiar. War Caster lets you use spells instead of attacks when you get an opportunity attack from movement, which is used to do both attacking and casting a spell (BB/GFB). The Familiar gives you assured Advantage with the Help action (usable by Archers, too) and lets you apply Shocking Grasp at range, while Blade Mastery makes all your Opportunity Attacks with usually-a-rapier automatically have Advantage. Arcane Trickster gives you more Touch spells to apply at range via Familiar, but you could instead go Assassin to maximize the value of the Sneak Attacks you do get.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

A Melee Bladelocks Darkness/Darkvision "dueling" is a fairly unique fighting style. It has the obvious downside not allowing the rest of your party to see the thing the warlock is fighting either.

Similarly, the "Meat Grinder" - Cloud of Daggers cheese with various levels of push/pull spells or abilities can be pulled off by bards, sorcerers, warlocks and wizards
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A unique combat style with a single character or a party?

One thing I've seen a party do well was a "Come to me" strategy with laying down spike growths and peppering enemies with ranged attacks as they tried to get though damaging difficult terrain, falling back if necessary.

You can also use choke points to hold enemies in one place they don't want to be, a single dodging Character can be a hard thing to get passed, especially if there is a Polearm user behind him.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

find a chair. pick it up. beat your enemies to death with it. i was once fighting these frog man things in the woods and i picked up a chair and beat them to death with it then used there bones to make more chairs. chairs are the best weapons a man can have. the FSM blessed the chairs.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake