New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Justifying my Paladin multiclass to hexblade

Hey everyone.
    New to the forum, been appreciating the wealth of knowledge I have found on here so far and wondered if i could get some advice more directly.

I'm playing a neutral good half-elf vengeance Paladin sworn to Pelor just about halfway to level 5.
    I fell in love with the idea of a warlock multi-class (specifically hexblade) and am trying to justify how to work that in. My DM big into story and wants me to have a clear concept and I am just not familiar enough with patrons and pacts.
    Also, any tips on when to multi-class would be greatly appreciated, seen alot of mixed reviews.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Justifying my Paladin multiclass to hexblade

Given that the deity Shevarash the Black Arrow is both an elf deity and a vengeance deity, a pact with him to gain warlock powers, might work.

To keep Pelor happy, swearing "Vengeance on the undead" might fit (Shevarash prefers vengeance on orcs and drow, but any "enemies of elves" might do.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ask to find a cool sentient magic sword, rather than having actual magic powers, it lets you take hexblade levels as gifts it gives you in service of some goal it has. Pelor need not be concerned as long as you juggle the blades goal and pelor's expectations correctly

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Vengeance oath pretty clearly states 'whatever it takes.' If you contract with a magic sword, I wouldn't see any conflict, unless the patron starts messing with your vengeance.

As to the how... that requires DM help. My favorite way of doing this is a massive, 30-foot long sword stuck into the side of the mountain. Some kind of Giant-king's blade. All the party can speak with it, and it offers them all power, but... you're the only one who takes it up on the offer. Next level is in Hexblade.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could forge a pact with a celestial weaponsmith that forges blades for Pelor's army.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bromeo.Frykas View Post
    Hey everyone.
    New to the forum, been appreciating the wealth of knowledge I have found on here so far and wondered if i could get some advice more directly.

I'm playing a neutral good half-elf vengeance Paladin sworn to Pelor just about halfway to level 5.
    I fell in love with the idea of a warlock multi-class (specifically hexblade) and am trying to justify how to work that in. My DM big into story and wants me to have a clear concept and I am just not familiar enough with patrons and pacts.
    Also, any tips on when to multi-class would be greatly appreciated, seen alot of mixed reviews.
    Ask if you can borrow the fluff from the Celestial pact and have it manifest in more vengeance-y ways than being good at healing stuff.
    In-character problems require in-character solutions. Out-of-character problems require out-of-character solutions.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    Vengeance oath pretty clearly states 'whatever it takes.' If you contract with a magic sword, I wouldn't see any conflict, unless the patron starts messing with your vengeance.

As to the how... that requires DM help. My favorite way of doing this is a massive, 30-foot long sword stuck into the side of the mountain. Some kind of Giant-king's blade. All the party can speak with it, and it offers them all power, but... you're the only one who takes it up on the offer. Next level is in Hexblade.
    Nice RP opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    You could forge a pact with a celestial weaponsmith that forges blades for Pelor's army.
    Also nice.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

talk to your dm about your god and if he was any artifacts to become a hexblade to. if your a paladin with out a god and just an oath talk to him about artifacts that exemplify your oath. the reason for you paladin doing this is easy that want to be closer to there god or have a connection with an item that exemplifies there oath.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

How about asking a Cleric of Pelor to inform you of the existence, somewhere around the are your group is or a quest in itself, of a sentient Sunsword that can grant you powers? A sunsword is aligned enough with Pelor's Portfolio to make it flow naturally, especially considering that you're a Paladin, not a Cleric.
    Zoma is the best.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

You are shadow's light. From the dark comes the light. You represent the sun when it has set.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amdy_vill View Post
    talk to your dm about your god and if he was any artifacts to become a hexblade to. if your a paladin with out a god and just an oath talk to him about artifacts that exemplify your oath. the reason for you paladin doing this is easy that want to be closer to there god or have a connection with an item that exemplifies there oath.
    This was my thought. Have the weapon that is your patron is Pelor's Dawnstars or their craftsman.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Justifying my Paladin multiclass to hexblade?

Powergaming.
    Last edited by Mhl7; 2018-03-19 at 03:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    You are shadow's light. From the dark comes the light. You represent the sun when it has set.
    Upvote for awesomeness.

On another note, No reason you can't forge a pact related to pelor as a hexblade. Ask your DM to ty it to a possible Sun Blade down the line. If i had your character thats the first thing i'd want.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    love the shadow's light! that's a really cool way to look at it

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This is why I come to you all, some really cool things to think about.
    He just seemed a bit sceptical about it. Mostly in defense of my alignment and seeing as I am the (more or less) leader of the group.
    I could definitely work in these. Love the quest from a cleric of Pelor, giant sword in a mountain.
    Really good point about Pelor too, I'm sure I will have to talk to "him" about it. Taking a route that I'm there to achieve my goals whatever it takes would be justifiable.
    I'll do some research on Shevarash as well. He said I may have to speak to the Raven Queen about it. These are all great angles I could take talking to him about it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Also, any advice on the level to do so?
    Not sure if i Want to out of 5th after extra attack and go to 2nd warlock.
    Or wait to get my aura and then jump into Warlock

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You're already "justifying" maintaining your tenets while being neutral good. Adding a pact with something when you're a god's follower shouldn't be that much harder.

Not a ding on being a NG vengeance pally. More that, if you've found a way to maintain it, which isn't a cakewalk, then I'm confident you can find a way.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    You're already "justifying" maintaining your tenets while being neutral good. Adding a pact with something when you're a god's follower shouldn't be that much harder.

Not a ding on being a NG vengeance pally. More that, if you've found a way to maintain it, which isn't a cakewalk, then I'm confident you can find a way.
    Yeah, definitely over thinking this a bit. And i have managed so far. This is a solid pool of knowledge to get me by. Thanks again!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, definitely over thinking this a bit. And i have managed so far. This is a solid pool of knowledge to get me by. Thanks again!
    Also, if you're level 5, for the love of god do not do Hexblade till after getting level 6 Paladin. You want Divine Grace.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

tongue Re: Justifying my Paladin multiclass to hexblade

Okay, I wanted to hold off for that aura. Just wasn't sure if it was better to start when the experience points needed weren't as high.
    That gives me some time, as i will be hitting level 5 (presumably) this friday.
    Also, doing some brainstorming myself, what do you all think about ( I'm gonna go the family route) what about a sentient weapon that contained the soul of a lost sibling i wasn't aware of. Or a paladin lost to the shadow fell, (a sun when the lights go out) sunblade type thing

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

This is why I come to you all, some really cool things to think about.
    He just seemed a bit sceptical about it. Mostly in defense of my alignment and seeing as I am the (more or less) leader of the group.
    I could definitely work in these. Love the quest from a cleric of Pelor, giant sword in a mountain.
    Really good point about Pelor too, I'm sure I will have to talk to "him" about it. Taking a route that I'm there to achieve my goals whatever it takes would be justifiable.
    I'll do some research on Shevarash as well. He said I may have to speak to the Raven Queen about it. These are all great angles I could take talking to him about it.
    Again, I strongly recommend looking at the fluff of the Celestial warlock. Why get the quest from a cleric of Pelor when you could instead get the quest from a solar of Pelor? Why have it be a quest when it could instead be a divine charge?
    In-character problems require in-character solutions. Out-of-character problems require out-of-character solutions.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLyRaiNbow View Post
    Again, I strongly recommend looking at the fluff of the Celestial warlock. Why get the quest from a cleric of Pelor when you could instead get the quest from a solar of Pelor? Why have it be a quest when it could instead be a divine charge?
    Okay, yeah! like more of a pilgrimage? and when you say fluff? you mean go for celestial? or just the ideologies behind the Celestial and go Hexblade.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, yeah! like more of a pilgrimage? and when you say fluff? you mean go for celestial? or just the ideologies behind the Celestial and go Hexblade.
    Basically stuff divides into fluff and crunch. A longsword, by crunch, does 1d8 damage, weighs x pounds, deals slashing damage and has the versatile property. By fluff, it's got a straight, two-edged blade and a flat hilt and a particular kind of pommel, except when it has a curved blade and a basket hilt and a different pommel. Crunch is the mechanics, and those don't change. Fluff is the background for the mechanics, and that can change however you like.

So yeah, use the description of the Celestial warlock: bond with a being from the upper planes, all that stuff. But instead of it manifesting as healing energy, light and fire, it manifests by turning you into a righteous avatar of smiting those who need smote. Within that first few levels of Hexblade there's nothing intrinsically linked to the Shadowfell anyway. A solar appears to you and, in exchange for your unceasing service to the causes of Law and Good (or whatever) grants you the power to avenge the evils that have been done to you.
    Last edited by QuickLyRaiNbow; 2018-03-23 at 08:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Basically stuff divides into fluff and crunch.
    No it doesn't. That's only one model, and it's not one consistent with how most RPG games work. It's even more inconsistent with the way 5e works than it was with the previous two editions.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The fluff on hexblade is really light in the book.

My LG devotion paladin dipped hexblade by making a deal with an angel of death/shadowfell guardian. While similar to celestial thing it ties it to the shadowfell. It’s an easy win win. I make sure undead stays dead, this entity gives me more power to make it happen. Most death gods are LN so being within one step of LG with a similar aim isn’t a stretch at all.

IMO anyone who has a problem with odd multi classes is just lacking in creativity.
    Want to Multiclass? I wrote the book on it:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...classing-Guide
    Expect advice on the optimization rules you are breaking: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-Optimization
    I am an avid optimizer and love to give fire to the people... So long as they are restrained first so they have disadvantage on their dex saves.
    Feel free to PM me for one on one build advice.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Basically stuff divides into fluff and crunch. A longsword, by crunch, does 1d8 damage, weighs x pounds, deals slashing damage and has the versatile property. By fluff, it's got a straight, two-edged blade and a flat hilt and a particular kind of pommel, except when it has a curved blade and a basket hilt and a different pommel. Crunch is the mechanics, and those don't change. Fluff is the background for the mechanics, and that can change however you like.

So yeah, use the description of the Celestial warlock: bond with a being from the upper planes, all that stuff. But instead of it manifesting as healing energy, light and fire, it manifests by turning you into a righteous avatar of smiting those who need smote. Within that first few levels of Hexblade there's nothing intrinsically linked to the Shadowfell anyway. A solar appears to you and, in exchange for your unceasing service to the causes of Law and Good (or whatever) grants you the power to avenge the evils that have been done to you.
    Quickly, prety sure you are a deity of giantitp
    that's a great description.
    Also, be advised. I shared some of the threads thoughts and my own with my DM. He was just concerned since Pali and Warlock are kind of opposites in a sense. He actually had a Pali in his last campaign who wielded a NG sentient sword and he ended up having me having that sword find me this past session. He worked it in very fluidly, wasn't even expecting it.

Also: I am having some trouble with deciding on how far to go... I'm either only going 2 levels or maybe into 4th of hexblade.
    just trying to work out invocations.
    for sure agonizing blast, and i was thinking of either taking improved pact weapon. Or, at 4 Warlock or * pali of when i can get another feat, taking war caster.
    Thoughts?
    I find alot of people find going into blade pact redundant smaller Warlock multi classes

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

A pact with a Celestial that's big on the battling Evil part, or a pact with like a Summer Court Fey Lord who's perfectly willing to accept the term that if it interferes with Pelor's business fair enough, he needs to keep you out of it, are both viable. After all, your developing greater power to do Pelor's bidding and get revenge on Pelor's enemy's either way.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Explain to him how mechanically powerful it is because they are both Cha-based classes, and how your PAM + shield and quarterstaff combo really needs some Hexblade levels to take off.

Seriously dude, if your reason for multiclassing is mechanical and you're asking a bunch of internet randos to help you justify the role playing aspects of what you want to do, you have the process ass-backwards.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNutButter View Post
    IMO anyone who has a problem with odd multi classes is just lacking in creativity.
    Paladin/Hexblade is not an "odd" multiclass. It is a strong, synergistic and predictable multiclass...one that has launched a thousand ugly emo ships by now.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by the secret fire View Post
    Explain to him how mechanically powerful it is because they are both Cha-based classes, and how your PAM + shield and quarterstaff combo really needs some Hexblade levels to take off.

Seriously dude, if your reason for multiclassing is mechanical and you're asking a bunch of internet randos to help you justify the role playing aspects of what you want to do, you have the process ass-backwards.
    Totally, really trying not to meta game it too hard. I think, I've just been spending to much time making to the DM happy putting together this character rather than what's i imagine the character to be.