New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Storm on the Horizon

Spoiler: Ambience
    Show
    Listen to this as you read the following post and write your reply.

Youtube link

Spotify link

As the party regroups and begins once again to traverse the forest, the sounds of the pagan feast continue to drone on, a crazed, rapturous cacophony of screams and chanting. For what seems like an eternity, Bendron leads the party on a safe path, weaving through the camps and avoiding the Niorū.

=============

After nearly two hours, the sounds of the ritual fade behind them, just as the sky begins to lighten. Bendron keeps moving, getting the party safely away from the savage ceremony until it is light enough for them to walk on their own.

Show

As the sun begins to rise behind a thick blanket of clouds, a slight drizzle begins, dampening the already tired spirits of the group. They are exhausted, sleep-deprived, and covered in blood, but the sounds of the Niorū have faded to complete silence behind them. For the first time in over a day, they feel relatively safe, although cold. Even in this temperate climate, the winter saps them of heat and drains their energy.

Spoiler: Date and Time
    Show
    It is early in the morning of Iru 6th, around 6 AM.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2018-03-28 at 11:32 PM.
    ...And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day until the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap, whiles any speaks that fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Right. There will be plenty time to talk, and rest, when we find a campsite."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    check for campsite

Gideon looks around the area their in, having been in the wild for so long he developed a trained eye for good campsites.

4. - Top - End - #154

Spoiler: GM Only
    Show
    Survival check: (1d20+5)[16]

Gideon sees a group of trees off to the left that appear to be close enough together to provide some amount of shelter from the rain, despite their lack of leaves.

Show

The group makes camp between the trees and tries to get some rest, for what seems like the first time in forever. They are thoroughly exhausted, and fall asleep without issue. The rain picks up to slightly more than a drizzle but hardly bothers the enervated sleepers.

Show
    Does anybody keep watch or does everybody sleep?
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2018-03-28 at 11:42 PM.
    ...And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day until the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap, whiles any speaks that fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day!

5. - Top - End - #155

Gideon sits with his back to a tree with his great sword against his shoulder. He stares intently at the dirt as the rain drizzles down against his body from the trees above him.
    Last edited by Nightwing32193; 2018-03-28 at 11:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron volunteers to take first watch. Things are still very new to him, and he's still running on enough excitement to hold off the weariness. He finds a suitable pedestal and sets to cleaning his equipment, hands running along the halberd as he removes the grime and hones the edges - inspects it thoroughly, then sets the head back into a covering to keep it well oiled. Finished, he takes in the trees and grass and rain, uncaring of Gideon's brooding.
    Last edited by Graehamkracker; 2018-03-28 at 11:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157

Gideon shrugs. Acknowledging the dwarf. But doesn't move.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

"My friend, you are still wounded. Let the dwarf take the first shift. Get some rest, whatever ill news you have for me can wait until we're clear-headed. A lot has changed these past years," Chadwick said to Gideon, compassionate, but stern.

9. - Top - End - #159

Gideon looks up and nods, without moving he rolls over and lies down. Closing his eyes and falls asleep, cradling his sword.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chadwick stretches and lays out his bedroll. Looking at Bendron, he smirks, "I trust you're not gonna gut me and take my loot while I'm out?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

"There's nothing you have that I would need." Bendron replies.

Spoiler: Character Internal? IDK
    Show
    As his watch passes, Bendron compares the stories he was told and the truths he was taught to the things he sees in the woods. Wood seems a bit softer than he'd imagined, and grass almost tickles as he runs his hand over it. The noises of a forest are all foreign, but most mapped to various animal calls he had been told of. He was not prepared for weather. The wind's movements were expected, but the noises were not. Creaking, whistling, and rushing were one thing to hear about, but another to actually hear. And the rain. What magics must carry the water into the sky only to release it back to the ground? The world he's seen so far has been a bit less ordered than expected.

Spoiler: OOC For DM
    Show
    Assuming an uneventful watch, of course.

Spoiler: Chadwick
    Show
    As Chadwick relieves Bendron's watch, the dwarf gestures to the snoring barbarian and asks: "Do you really see that hope in him?"
    Last edited by Graehamkracker; 2018-03-29 at 12:25 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Chadwick and Brendron
    Show
    Chadwick lets out a low whistle. "Hope? Sure I have hope for him. But then, it's not really what I meant. See, it may not be readily apparent, but that guy's royalty.. or whatever his people's idea of royalty is. We may have some pretty extreme ideological differences, but years ago we fought together against a much greater evil. His father is a pretty powerful chieftain... or at least he was... Chadwick trails off, suddenly becoming aware that he is speaking to what amounts to a complete stranger. "I used to be an lieutenant in my country's military. A little over 5 years ago I lead a regiment against the orcs of the south. I don't know how long you were conked out in those caverns but I can guess it's been long enough that you might not be aware of this threat. Many of the northern kingdoms banded together in this crusade of ours. His tribe happened to be in the warpath of the enemy, and on a recon mission my troops discovered them under siege. Together our people managed to push the army back and for the rest of the campaign we had that tenuous alliance. It was in my negotiations with the chief that I met Gideon. We ended up going countless missions together and, while I'm ashamed to admit it, I oftentimes used him and others as a way to get things done outside of the 'rules of war,' if you get me. All for the cause, of course. A brotherhood forged in blood is not easily broken. Eventually we pushed the enemy back, and as far as I know, routed them. But seeing him so far North worries me. I fear we may have declared victory too soon..."
    Last edited by RealZachKraus; 2018-03-29 at 11:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    "There are no 'rules of war' - just three outcomes. You safeguard that which you set out to protect, your foe destroys it, or you destroy it yourself. Be wary, paladin; it is all too easy to claim victory and have lost along the way."
    Finished, Bendron rises and settles in for a much shorter sleep than his last one
    Last edited by Graehamkracker; 2018-03-29 at 01:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

As Bendron closes his eyes and drifts into a quiet sleep, Chadwick settles in and prepares for his watch shift.

Spoiler: GM Only
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20+2)[8]
    Listen check:(1d20-1)[15]

Chadwick's hour ticks by slowly and uneventfully. Soon, it is time for him to wake his replacement.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2018-03-29 at 03:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Halfling in the Playground

With a brief, startling yelp, Seamus is shaken awake by a presumably terrifying dream.

Show
    "I... I am sorry. It was a dream..." Seamus trails off in thought as he looks around, making little sense of the surrounding damp darkness and comparing it to the dream he dreamt. Somehow, it is better here. After a pause of avoiding eye contact, Seamus looks over. "I must be rather the embarrassment," he whispers.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Seamus
    Show
    Chadwicks face softens, attempting to convey a paternal demeanor, "It happens to the best of us. What's on your mind, kid?"

17. - Top - End - #167

Show
    Seamus stares at Chadwick's silhouette for a handful of silent moments. He looks unsure to say more. But his paranoia dissipates. "Are there others awake?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    "Not right now. We're sleeping in shifts. Try and get some more rest."
    Last edited by RealZachKraus; 2018-03-29 at 04:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Show
    "Have you seen an eagle before?"
    Last edited by ButcherDawg; 2018-03-29 at 05:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Seamus sniffles a little. Though in the dark it is hard to tell if he is just cold or on the verge of tears. He lays back down, and, after a few minutes of silence, returns to sleep.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chadwick finishes out shift uneasily, rattled by his talk with the boy. Not being one to have such vivid dreams, he wished he had been able to give some better advice. Eventually he gauged his time was up and shook his barbarian friend. "Hey, hey you. RISE my son. You're up."

22. - Top - End - #172

Gideon wakes with a start,"UNUN!" his eyes dart around wildly until they finally rest upon Chadwick. He shakes his head and looks at the ground and shakes his head. Taking a deep breath he rises and rubs the sleep from his eyes. Without saying a word he walks to the edge of their makeshift camp and sits down with his legs crossed, leaning his sword on his shoulder.
    Last edited by Nightwing32193; 2018-03-29 at 10:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Chadwick and Gideon begin to speak in low murmurs as the rest of the party sleeps.

Show

=============

The party starts awake at the sound of Gideon's shouting. Weary eyed and sluggish of mind, they struggle to take in their situation. Awakening, they realize that there seems to be no immediate danger. But Gideon is shouting something about fire and murder, slipping between the common tongue and an unfamiliar language.

By the time the party is awake enough to realize what's going on, Gideon and Chad are silently wrapped in a powerful hug, neither saying a word. Chadwick steps back and murmurs something to Gideon in a low voice, then they turn and stand shoulder to shoulder, gazing out across the hills where the sun has just recently risen. They whisper a few words to one another, then stand in silence.

Spoiler: Rolls to Hear Whispered Conversation
    Show
    Spoiler: Bendron
    Show
    Listen check: (1d20-1)[8]
    Spoiler: Demryon
    Show
    Listen check: (1d20+9)[13]
    Show
    Listen check: (1d20+10)[16]
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2018-03-30 at 12:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

"Its a watch, not a sodding shouting match" Bendron calls out over the yelling as he rolls over

25. - Top - End - #175

Gideon doesn't notice. Or care. He said his piece and is now continuing his watch.

26. - Top - End - #176

Spoiler: Seamus Only
    Show
    You hear only snatches of the conversation. After Chadwick releases Gideon from the hug, you hear, "... no longer ... by Hyroneus ... win your lands ... once and for all ..." And Gideon responds, "... keep your armies ... but ... your counsel ..." You hear Chad say, "Lord'll sort 'em..." and then the two stand in silence.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2018-03-30 at 12:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177

After an hour of scouting around the campsite
    Show
    survival/spot check for wilderness activity
    Gideon makes his way back to his sleeping companions and gently shakes Seamus, "Hey kid, you're on watch now but if you're not feeling up to it I can take yours as well."

28. - Top - End - #178

Spoiler: Gideon
    Show
    Seamus pauses, clearly considering the offer. "No, I can do this. If you guys can do it, then I can too," he whispers.

29. - Top - End - #179

Gideon smiled at the young boy and ruffles his hair. With that he jogs back to camp and lays down cradling his great sword.

30. - Top - End - #180

Spoiler: Gideon Only
    Show
    You are in hill country. The forest around you seems fairly normal for a wintertime forest. Not much wildlife can be seen but you are able to hear birds and see the occasional squirrel. It is a fairly mundane area. The trees extend in every direction as far as you can see, but since they lack their leaves you can see relatively far.

Spoiler: Bendron Only
    Show
    Knowledge (History) check: (1d20+7)[16]
    If your estimation of your current location is correct and you are in fact ten miles east of the cave you woke up in, you are aware that the city of Korduur once stood near here. You are not sure of your exact location, and it has been a very long time since you've seen Korduur, but you would guess that it would be within a few miles of your current location if it still exists.

The next few hours pass uneventfully, and around 3 in the afternoon, Demryon wakes the party.

With the cloud cover, the risen sun is not bright enough to wake the party from their deep slumber, so everyone in the group wakes well rested, if not a bit chilly. The temperature did not rise with the sun this morning, and under the cold gray Iru sky, our band of misfit adventurers is able to see their breath coalescing in the air before them.

Spoiler: Date and Time
    Show
    It is about 3:00 PM on Iru 6th. The weather is foggy and overcast but thankfully not rainy... yet.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2018-03-30 at 08:33 PM.