New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Crafting stuff

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Crafting stuff

HotDQ has an alchemical weapon that the kobolds make called the fire bomb/glue bomb. One of my players wants to make some. What would be the logistics of that? Provided he had the materials, how much time, gold, and what kind of a check should he make?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Crafting stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    HotDQ has an alchemical weapon that the kobolds make called the fire bomb/glue bomb. One of my players wants to make some. What would be the logistics of that? Provided he had the materials, how much time, gold, and what kind of a check should he make?
    Is the price of the weapon given? If not, I'd treat it like alchemist's fire.

There are more detailed rules for crafting and for the use of alchemist's kits in the Xanathar's.

IMO I would ask for a DC 20 check to discover the recipe, though. Repeatable every day of downtime they choose to spend on it, until they pass it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Crafting stuff

It should be something unusual for me! Because usually, I know about something this from familyessay.org research papers. I would like to see what will at the finish! Please, let me know!
    Last edited by JodyScanlon; 2018-03-20 at 04:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

rope, metal, gunpowder, and something sticky. it would probably take an hour per 2 bombs. this is a very real life explanation. also the metal should be in the shape of bombs and you should base it on a skill. the check should only determined how good the bombs is and only fail on a 1. but this is just my two cent and this is more realistic then d&d usually is in crafting
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Amdy_vill View Post
    rope, metal, gunpowder, and something sticky. it would probably take an hour per 2 bombs. this is a very real life explanation. also the metal should be in the shape of bombs and you should base it on a skill. the check should only determined how good the bombs is and only fail on a 1. but this is just my two cent and this is more realistic then d&d usually is in crafting
    It's different if you have to *make* the gunpowder.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

I'd say simple is better than complicated. I would just discern how many hours/days of work seems appropriate to be able to make one of them, then have the player roll a percentile die, maybe adding relevant modifiers. That roll is how much progress they made on making one in the alotted time.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    I'd say simple is better than complicated. I would just discern how many hours/days of work seems appropriate to be able to make one of them, then have the player roll a percentile die, maybe adding relevant modifiers. That roll is how much progress they made on making one in the alotted time.
    Technically in 5e crafting you don't have to do a roll, just spending the time. Which is proportional to the cost.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Volo's entry on Kobolds has some ideas and info on this. Not sure how much detail. But just use the downtime rules assuming the character has the alchemist's kit and proficiency with it.