New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default My crit-fish warrior

Hi people,
    So I wanted to make a vailable fighter who is focused on criting as hard as possible and still being tanky (so no rouge shenanigans).
    This is my best try.
    (Only using PHB material)

For the race I went with Half-Orc for the savage attack and handy ability score improvements.

To be fair use the point buy system for determining stats:
    Str: 15 (+2)
    Dex: 14
    Con: 9 (+1)
    Int: 8
    Wis: 13
    Chr: 13

(This might look bad, but hopefully I can explain all my choices)

I go for heavy armor and a battleaxe (d12)

For the first 6 lvls sticking to fighter picking up in order:
    - Fighting style: Great weapon fighting
    - Champion for improved crit range
    - Great Weapon fighting at lvl4
    - And Savage Attack at lvl6

(You might want to delay the 6th level after paladin2)

At this point I have a 10% chance for 3d12 (+3 + 10) with reroll(once/turn) which is about 25.8 (+ 13 = 38.8)dmg

I also take athletics so I can maybe shove people for advantage: than 19% to crit.
    (I would only use it with action surge for the 1st attack)

And when I do crit I can make my bonus action into another attack.
    (Also, if I use action surge and manage to hit 1 crit (~34%) (or ~58% after successful shoving) I can use both bonus actions as a melee attack)

Than I invest 4 lvl into paladin.(13 str, 13 chr needed to do this)
    For the 2nd lvl I get Smite!
    (Also get Defense fighting style)
    This is the lifeblood of this build
    At this point your multiclass spellcaster lvl is 3 (2 if you delay fighter6) and you can cast 4 1st lvl spells and 2 2nd lvl spells (3 1st lvl with delay)
    But you dont want to do that only as a last resort because criting doubles all dmg dice including smite!

So at this point one crit can do 3d12(which you can reroll) + 6d8 + 13 ~ 52.8 + 13

At paladin lvl3 I get Oath of Vengeance so I can mark an enemy to have advantage agains and gain the spell hunters mark

Now if You have been paying attention hunters mark is a dmg die (d6) so I get to double it on crit.

At paladin lvl4 I get the Heavy armor master for +4 Str modifier and insane defense
    Also hiting a lvl 4 caster (4/3)

At this point I’m not completely sure where to go next, but I personally would get 10lvls of ranger picking up Archery, Hunter Archetype with Horde Breaker (for multi target dmg) or Colossus Slayer (for even more crit) and multiattack defense(?) getting +2 to strength and sentinel on the way.

I did not Min-Max this, but I think it’s still prety strong and gives a unique character for your team.

Also, I’m prety new to 5e so I’m sure I missed some good possibilities.

And this was my very first post here so please don’t tear me apart! :)

Other than that I’m open to any criticism and suggestions (also book suggestions with good stuff for this I should recommend to my DM)

Thanks for reading! :)

Lacka

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: My crit-fish warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Lacka View Post
    Hi people,
    So I wanted to make a vailable fighter who is focused on criting as hard as possible and still being tanky (so no rouge shenanigans).
    This is my best try.

For the race I went with Half-Orc for the savage attack and handy ability score improvements.

Con: 9 (+1)

- Great Weapon fighting at lvl4

At this point I have a 10% chance for 3d12 (+3 + 10) with reroll(once/turn) which is about 25.8 (+ 13 = 38.8)dmg

I also take athletics so I can maybe shove people for advantage: than 19% to crit.

(Also, if I use action surge and manage to hit 1 crit (~34%) (or ~58% after successful shoving) I can use both bonus actions as a melee attack)

Than I invest 4 lvl into paladin.(13 str, 13 chr needed to do this)
    At this point your multiclass spellcaster lvl is 3 (2 if you delay fighter6) and you can cast 4 1st lvl spells and 2 2nd lvl spells (3 1st lvl with delay)
    But you dont want to do that only as a last resort because criting doubles all dmg dice including smite!

So at this point one crit can do 3d12(which you can reroll) + 6d8 + 13 ~ 52.8 + 13

At paladin lvl3 I get Oath of Vengeance so I can mark an enemy to have advantage agains and gain the spell hunters mark

Now if You have been paying attention hunters mark is a dmg die (d6) so I get to double it on crit.

At paladin lvl4 I get the Heavy armor master for +4 Str modifier and insane defense

At this point I’m not completely sure where to go next, but I personally would get 10lvls of ranger picking up Archery, Hunter Archetype with Horde Breaker (for multi target dmg) or Colossus Slayer (for even more crit) and multiattack defense(?) getting +2 to strength and sentinel on the way.

I did not Min-Max this, but I think it’s still prety strong and gives a unique character for your team.

Also, I’m prety new to 5e so I’m sure I missed some good possibilities.

Other than that I’m open to any criticism and suggestions (also book suggestions with good stuff for this I should recommend to my DM)

Lacka
    Fighter is your friend. You want to be able to crit on 19 (and maybe even 18 at high levels of fighter)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Disclaimer: I did this only to help you, not to scorn you.

Hi people,
    So I wanted to make a viable fighter who is focused on criting as hard as possible and still being tanky (so no rogue shenanigans).
    This is my best try.

Con: 9 (+1) ?!?

Constitution 10 while being a heavy hitter makes you a glass cannon. Despite your Hit Die being 1d10. At first level you have 10 hit points, sure. But every level after that, you get only +6 hp. That's not "enough" for melee. Even considering heavy armor and high AC.

- Great Weapon Master at lvl4

Nothing wrong here (except typo's I fixed for ya)

See, this is a common misunderstanding. Action Surge gives you another Action. Not another Action and a Bonus Action. You only ever get 1 Bonus Action each turn.

Then I invest 4 lvl into paladin.(13 str, 13 chr needed to do this)
    Why would your multiclass spellcaster level be 3 with the only Spellcasting class you have being Paladin? Now, I can see you probably intended to choose Eldritch Knight as your Fighter Archetype, but you apparently forgot to mention it. If so, then it's correct.

Correct.

Again, unless you took Eldritch Knight (I'm pretty sure you did, just checking), your effective spellcasting level would be 2, which in turn doesn't give you 2nd-level spell slots, yet, because as a pure paladin, your effective spellcaster level would increase to 3rd at 5th paladin level. (this is probably a moot point, though)

Personally, I wouldn't MC from Paladin to Ranger. Divine Smite doesn't work on ranged attacks, and while your spell slot progression would indeed continue advancing as before, you'll regret later that you didn't get those higher level spells from Paladin (which are awesome, by the way - e.g. Elemental Weapon which is a 3rd level spell, as is Haste which you would also learn because of your oath).
    I can see that this part of your plan is the reason to have Dex 14 and Wis 13. I'd recommed to ditch this, and put 13 in Con (before racial), 9 in Dex or Int (wearing heavy armor, you don't get anything from Dex to AC), and 14 in Wis (so that you'll have a decent wis save, at least)

I did not Min-Max this, but I think it’s still pretty strong and gives a unique character for your team.
    Strong, sure. But also fragile. I doubt he'll survive very long with those hit points.

Also, I’m pretty new to 5e so I’m sure I missed some good possibilities.

Lacka
    Overall, it was an interesting read, and clearly you have grasped the system basics really well, regardless of few mistakes. However, being new also shows through (cue: the mistakes). Again, my intention wasn't to tear you apart, only to give you pointers where you went wrong. (and, since I am bit of a grammar "nazi", I couldn't stop myself from fixing typo's where I noticed them).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-03-20 at 01:20 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Thumbs up Re: My crit-fish warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    See, this is a common misunderstanding. Action Surge gives you another Action. Not another Action and a Bonus Action. You only ever get 1 Bonus Action each turn.
    Had to reread it a few times but true :(
    (The wording is a bit misleading)

Why would your multiclass spellcaster level be 3 with the only Spellcasting class you have being Paladin? Now, I can see you probably intended to choose Eldritch Knight as your Fighter Archetype, but you apparently forgot to mention it. If so, then it's correct.
    When i started explaining this idea to my DM He pointed out that I should read the sentences to the very end...
    When i saw "...and a third of your fighter or rogue levels (rounded down)..." I was satisfied but forgetting "...if you have the Eldritch Knight or the Arcane Trickster feature".
    And the champion archetype is more useful for critrange.
    So knowing this it's really hard to get useful caster lvl-s.

I can see that this part of your plan is the reason to have Dex 14 and Wis 13. I'd recommed to ditch this, and put 13 in Con (before racial), 9 in Dex or Int (wearing heavy armor, you don't get anything from Dex to AC), and 14 in Wis (so that you'll have a decent wis save, at least)
    Ranger is my favorite class so that's why I wanted to MC that way but it really might be too much.
    But Horde Breaker looks cool (Like Cleave from 3.5) and I wanted to use that. :(

With all this in mind Figter6/Paladin14 or a Fighter16/Paladin4 looks more promising to me.

This still looks fun to play and I might give it a go!

Overall, it was an interesting read, and clearly you have grasped the system basics really well, regardless of few mistakes. However, being new also shows through (cue: the mistakes). Again, my intention wasn't to tear you apart, only to give you pointers where you went wrong. (and, since I am bit of a grammar "nazi", I couldn't stop myself from fixing typo's where I noticed them).
    Thank You for your help!
    I didn't felt teared apart :D (This forum has a lot of nice people!)

I's sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language and I'm dyslexic so I guess i roll with disadvantage, but thanks for the corrections! :)

Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

As a crit-fisher, do you want to deal heaps of damage on a crit, or have a higher chance of critting? If it is the latter, I don't think anything can beat an elf/half-elf with at least a 2-level dip in barbarian, just for the reckless attack. Also 3 level-dip into champion. So you'd basically have "double advantage" and crit on a 19, for a 27.1% chance of critting per attack. :D

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

High there!

Fighter into paladin is a very good path for this kind of build. The build you have listed is plenty strong, however, I would recommend avoiding having more than five levels in either paladin or fighter. The reason for this is that if you get the 'extra attack' feature more than once, you're essentially getting a dead level.

With that in mind, you're probably looking at either:

Champion 6 / Paladin 4 / Champion X
    -or-
    Paladin 6 / Champion 3 / Paladin X

As to your stat distribution, I really question why you have a 14 in DEX if you're a STR build. It really seems like a boost to your CON would make more sense. You will never regret boosting CON in DND.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

With the name of the thread, I was expecting a Triton...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Switch from Battle Axe to Maul or Great Sword. 2d6 rolls better with Great Weapon Fighting. You reroll either d6 if it rolls a 1 or 2. If I remember right, the average roll for a 2d6 with GWF is 8.1 or 8.2. 1d12 average roll with GWF is 7.3.

GWF only lets you reroll the normal weapon damage roll. It doesn't let you reroll crit or smite rolls.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...ers-april-2016

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Azedenkae View Post
    As a crit-fisher, do you want to deal heaps of damage on a crit, or have a higher chance of critting? If it is the latter, I don't think anything can beat an elf/half-elf with at least a 2-level dip in barbarian, just for the reckless attack. Also 3 level-dip into champion. So you'd basically have "double advantage" and crit on a 19, for a 27.1% chance of critting per attack. :D
    My question, too. Otherwise Halflings with Halfling Lucky, or variant Humans with a Lucky feat, and TWF are also going to have more chances to trigger a crit by sheer throughput.

Is it crit damage size (paladins go nova), crit % chance on a single roll, or chances to crit with more than one roll?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Shield master + ancients paladin = ridiculously resilient.

Just think about all of the ancients paladin stuff with shield master offensive/defense bonuses.

You aren't always fighting meleers or spell attack mages.
    Take a listen to our fledgling podcast if you have time, patience, and a tolerance for some immaturity. Dungeons & Degenerates!

Currently finishing the HOTDQ hardcover.

Interested in listening to a 4 year old learn kid friendly D&D? Listen to Dungeons & Dragons Kidventures!

No profit involved.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by opaopajr View Post
    My question, too. Otherwise Halflings with Halfling Lucky, or variant Humans with a Lucky feat, and TWF are also going to have more chances to trigger a crit by sheer throughput.

Is it crit damage size (paladins go nova), crit % chance on a single roll, or chances to crit with more than one roll?
    So, typically, a crit-fisher can refer to any build that conciously builds towards increasing the chance of a critical hit.

In order to make such a build good in 5e, you need at the very least some dice-based damage, since the damage from your STR/DEX won't get multiplied. Generally, that's going to be sneak attack, some kind of ranger ability, or some kind of spell damage. These abilities tend to be quite strong, but with the exception of collosus slayer, they all have pretty serious drawbacks, like only working once a turn or forcing you to only make a single attack a turn or eating your concetration.

What you really want, though, are things that can boost your damage on a crit. Many of these are limited-use abilities like smite, eldritch smite, superiority dice, or bardic inspiration, but there are also some really good things like the Savage Attacker Half-orc Racial, or the Barbarian's brutal critical ability.

Basically, the two 'best' builds are
    STR build: Barbarian based with levels in either assassin, champion, or hexblade
    DEX build: 3 level of champion, 2 levels in paladin, and however many levels in whatever class. (pick up EA for 'double advantage')

Honorable mention to:
    CHA build: Just straight hexblade. Multiclass only if you feel like it.

DEX gets the most crits and deals the most damage on a crit, but won't be very scary once he's out of resources.

The STR build deals terrifying damage with terrifying consistency, and because of the constant advantage (reckless attack) you will probably have advantage way more often than the DEX build.

The CHA build isn't really a crit-fisher except for 3 targets a day, but he's goth as heck so that's cool.
    Last edited by strangebloke; 2018-03-20 at 09:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I see, so it has an established general idea, yet still loose in interpretation. Sort of like the shorthand "gish" to mean fighter+magic user. Hmm, well if can pair up PCs with items that induce unconsciousness or paralysis, then we can make the ultimate crit-fisher!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    So, typically, a crit-fisher can refer to any build that conciously builds towards increasing the chance of a critical hit.

In order to make such a build good in 5e, you need at the very least some dice-based damage, since the damage from your STR/DEX won't get multiplied. Generally, that's going to be sneak attack, some kind of ranger ability, or some kind of spell damage. These abilities tend to be quite strong, but with the exception of collosus slayer, they all have pretty serious drawbacks, like only working once a turn or forcing you to only make a single attack a turn or eating your concetration.

What you really want, though, are things that can boost your damage on a crit. Many of these are limited-use abilities like smite, eldritch smite, superiority dice, or bardic inspiration, but there are also some really good things like the Savage Attacker Half-orc Racial, or the Barbarian's brutal critical ability.

Basically, the two 'best' builds are
    STR build: Barbarian based with levels in either assassin, champion, or hexblade
    DEX build: 3 level of champion, 2 levels in paladin, and however many levels in whatever class. (pick up EA for 'double advantage')

Honorable mention to:
    CHA build: Just straight hexblade. Multiclass only if you feel like it.

DEX gets the most crits and deals the most damage on a crit, but won't be very scary once he's out of resources.

The STR build deals terrifying damage with terrifying consistency, and because of the constant advantage (reckless attack) you will probably have advantage way more often than the DEX build.

The CHA build isn't really a crit-fisher except for 3 targets a day, but he's goth as heck so that's cool.
    Right, so we we define a crit fisher build to be one that not only increases the chance of critting, but also increasing the number of rolls we make. Cool, just wanted to clarify that we are looking at maximizing crit damage, rather than crit chance.

Now, I understand the point of increasing the number of dice rolled, but could a significant boost in crit chance be on par with increased dice rolls? At least in the long term. I dun actually know, but lemme try and do some calcs. I am writing this as I go along, so I dun even know how numbers will turn out til’ I post this. XD

At lower levels (specifically 5) you need to sacrifice everything to get the expanded crit range (19-20) plus double advantage. This would increase crit chance from 10% (for a build with just level 3 champion) to 27.1%. Now, comparing this build (Barbarian 2/Champion 3 elf w/ elven accuracy) to a Paladin 2/Champion 3 half-orc, the latter would have an advantage because smite can apply not just on crits, but can apply normally as well. However, assuming we are saving smites for just when we crit, we have a 10% of dealing an extra 4d8 damage per attack per smite, plus let’s say 2d12 for the weapon and half-orc racial feat. Taking averages, that’s an average of 3.1 extra damage per attack.

For our Barb 2/Champion 3, there is a 27.1% chance per attack to deal extra damage. Assuming a rapier is wielded, that’s 1.22 extra damage per attack. So, considerably less than a smite build. Also I am considering a rapier because it is a finesse weapon. This is because of rogueness.

At level 6, the test build becomes Barb 2/ Champ 3/Rogue 1, granting it sneak attack. Note that every attack that hits will add sneak damage, because every single attack will have advantage. So we deal 1d8 + 2d6 extra damage for 27.1% of the attacks, so on average 3.11 additional damage per attack.

For our Pal/Champ, let’s say it is now Pal 2/Champ 3/Ranger 1, for hunter’s mark. Bear in mind that this is a spell slot heavy MC, but anyways. The build crits 10% of the time, and deal 4d8 + 2d8 + 2d12 extra damage, so on average 4 extra damage. Of course, hunter’s mark actually applies all the time, so naturally this build already deals more damage.

However, it is clear that just the sheer higher chance of critting from the elven accuracy feat can also deal a lot of damage (consistently).

I don’t know how this would continue to progress, because although the elven accuracy crit fisher build does seem to be catching up to the crit damage increasing build, the question is when/if it catches up. And of course, how it stacks against other builds as well.

I dun really know, I am lazy to theorycraft. :P But seems like it is interesting food for thought, would sacrificing the half-orc’s additional roll for an elf’s double advantage (requiring two levels of barb AND a feat mind you) be better? Or worse.

Acrually I just realized I forgot that one class needs to be level 4 for the feat, so would have to be something like champ 4. :P Oops haha, please ignore the above. Point still stands tho, in the long term (say by level 10), would additional rolls bump up damage more, or would that actual increase in chance of hitting be better.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Statistically you're going to get the most crits from an elf-type with Elvish Accuracy Feat (new from Xanathars) and a way to get advantage often or nearly all the time.

Hexblades fighting from darkness accomplish this easily - also attacks that use EA can't be str based, iirc - hexblades are cha based.

You can even one dip in hexblade to get this. Then maybe 3-dip champion to get crit on 19 or 20 all the time - instead of only when you have something hex cursed. Or hope to get lots of short rests and live w/ the curse getting you crits on 19s.

Others are right. Critting often is only part of the consideration. What you crit is important, too. Smiting - which you can choose to do after you see that you've crit - can get insanely good. Takes a while - you'd possibly want a Champion 5 (get the E.A. feat and extra attack), hexblade 4 to get devil sight and darkness and another ASI - then maybe Pal to DS - possibly finish off with Draconic Sorc to get meta magic and lots of slots to DS while getting +1 hit points - that'd be a weird build - might work. Would take a while to get rolling, though.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Hi people,
    Is there a specific reason why you don't want to include Rogue? They make rather good tanks, actually. And sneak attack really makes those crits hurt.

Note that every attack that hits will add sneak damage, because every single attack will have advantage.
    This isn't true. You only get to add sneak attack damage once per turn.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon_in_rag View Post
    Switch from Battle Axe to Maul or Great Sword. 2d6 rolls better with Great Weapon Fighting. You reroll either d6 if it rolls a 1 or 2. If I remember right, the average roll for a 2d6 with GWF is 8.1 or 8.2. 1d12 average roll with GWF is 7.3.

GWF only lets you reroll the normal weapon damage roll. It doesn't let you reroll crit or smite rolls.
    Looks good but the Half-Orc savage attack only lets you roll 1 of the weapon dmg dice, but with elven accuracy its probably better.

I dun really know, I am lazy to theorycraft. :P But seems like it is interesting food for thought, would sacrificing the half-orc’s additional roll for an elf’s double advantage (requiring two levels of barb AND a feat mind you) be better? Or worse.

Acrually I just realized I forgot that one class needs to be level 4 for the feat, so would have to be something like champ 4. :P Oops haha, please ignore the above. Point still stands tho, in the long term (say by level 10), would additional rolls bump up damage more, or would that actual increase in chance of hitting be better.
    I love these numbers and when i have some time I will calculate some myself (and post that here).
    I have not yet read Xanathars but now I have to. :D

Also I think getting extra attack is better early for general dmg.
    Is there something like an avg AC for level table? I would love to calculate against that to see an estimate of dmg when not criting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    You can even one dip in hexblade to get this. Then maybe 3-dip champion to get crit on 19 or 20 all the time - instead of only when you have something hex cursed. Or hope to get lots of short rests and live w/ the curse getting you crits on 19s.
    Is Hexblade from Xanathars too?
    (with a few minutes of google i couldn't find it out)

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent_bystan View Post
    Is there a specific reason why you don't want to include Rogue? They make rather good tanks, actually. And sneak attack really makes those crits hurt.
    Mostly RP reasons but for calculating I will include theme!

There was a lot of questions about what is meant by crit-fising (not Tritons sry Naanomi :D)
    My basic idea is (the DM-s nightmare) a hero who can once per longrest focus 1 (or a few) creature (Boss) and just deal extreme dmg.

So my basic idea was a paladin with action sure and EA-s to try to crit as much as possible and than use the high lvl spellslot to smite.

So what I will do next is find a list of AC-s from lvl 1 to 10 and (so i can count avg dmg too) and run my testbuilds against those.
    (I did a lot of these with 3.5 and eager to try it now with 5e)

Post your build orders what I should run, I myself will do:

Fighter6/Pala4 with str half-Orc, dex Elf/Half-Elf, str Elf/Half-Elf
    (Heavy armor for str builds with eitehr Greatsword or battleaxe)
    (maybe shield+rapier or two weapons for dex)
    (Pala cutoff points: 2,3,4)
    (Fighter cutoff points: 3,4,5,6)

I don't really know how is it worth making a two weapon wielding hero so i would like some help with that. :)

Thanks for all the awesome ideas and brainstorming! :D

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Mostly RP reasons but for calculating I will include theme!
    A lot of people seem to think Rogue = thief, but you can just as easily go Rogue = Dirty Fighter. (or even Loremaster, if you really want to)

A suggestion for a build (at level 10):

Variant Human.
    Stats (27pt point buy) 14(+1)/14/13(+1)/12/12/8 = 15/14/14/12/12/8
    Starting Feat: Heavy Armor Mastery (+1 STR = 16)
    Fighter(Champion) 5/Rogue (Arcane Trickster)5

ASI: Sentinel, Shield Master
    Features:
    Fighting Style: Defense
    Second Wind (1d10+5)
    Action Surge
    Improved Critical
    Extra Attack
    Expertise (Athletics, ?)
    Sneak Attack (3d6)
    Cunning Action
    Spellcasting (out of school spell: Shield)
    Uncanny Dodge

A typical combat round includes shoving an enemy prone with a +11 mod, attacking twice with Advantage, once with Sneak Attack.
    Your options for your Reaction include: Sentinel reaction attack, Opportunity attack, Shield Master Evasion, Uncanny Dodge or casting Shield.
    (note that Uncanny Dodge halves damage before you get it and Heavy Armor Mastery reduces it after you get it, effectively doubling HAM)

Your Hp will be 5 points less compared to a full fighter, true, but Uncanny Dodge easily compensates for this.
    Your AC will be 21 (Plate+Shield+Fighting Style), with an option to increase it to 26 by casting Shield 3 times per day.
    You fight with a Rapier, but use STR as an attack stat.

The estimated damage output is 1d8+3+3d6 + 19% (crit chance,adv) * (1d8+3d6) + 1d8+3 + 19% * 1d8 = avg 29, with an additional possible 20 on a Reaction. So 49 * 0,86 (hit chance, adv) = 42 expected average damage per round. (calculations simplified a bit, actual damage would be slightly higher)

Note that the critical damage component of this is only 7 damage, even with Champion 3 and 3d6 sneak attack.

In the build I played, I changed Champion to Battlemaster for more control, but for crit-fishing Champion is the obvious choice.

But what the build lacks in pure DPS (although it isn't shabby), it more than makes up in staying power. And a tank really needs staying power, your estimated DPS falls to 0 when you're dead. Sentinel also makes you really sticky, a good trait for a tank to have.

You could skip Shield Master and use your first attack to shove prone, the second to attack with advantage, netting you +2 STR or another feat. But I like the pseudo-evasion and 2 chances to hit with.

To compare: a half-orc fighter 10 with 20STR does 1d12+5+ 10% (crit chance) * (2d12) + 1d12+5 + 10% * 1d12 = avg 27. So 27 * 0.70 = about 19 damage on average. With an outside source of Advantage, this becomes 31 * 0,91 = 28 on average. This could be optimised a lot, but it provides a nice baseline.

For hit chance I always assume a base chance of 65% to hit. The Rogue uses 60% to account for the 16 STR, while the baseline fighter uses 70% because of the 20 STR. I also assumed the Great Weapon Fighting Style and a Great Axe for the baseline fighter.