New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Has your character ever stopped you from playing them, even when you didn't want

Quote Originally Posted by FelineArchmage View Post
    Has your character ever stopped you from playing them, even when you didn't want to?

I'm talking in the sense of that "this is so ingrained in my character's personality and the way that act that they would do this, even if it resulted in becoming an unplayable/dead character".
    Absolutely, somethings are so essential to a character that you have to do them.
    I've done this a few times over my many years of RP'ing. The one that immediately springs to mind is in a Cthulhu game my character who was driven by his curiosity came to a well that contained a imprisoned Great Old One. Logically I knew it was a terrible idea but there was no way that this character wasn't going to look into that well.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Has your character ever stopped you from playing them, even when you didn't want

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Absolutely, somethings are so essential to a character that you have to do them.
    I've done this a few times over my many years of RP'ing. The one that immediately springs to mind is in a Cthulhu game my character who was driven by his curiosity came to a well that contained a imprisoned Great Old One. Logically I knew it was a terrible idea but there was no way that this character wasn't going to look into that well.
    But that's not the same thing at all. Playing a character and knowingly making choices that will nonetheless lead to the characters demise is not the same as saying that because of the characters inevitable choices the player will NOT HAVE THEM PARTICIPATE IN THE GAME. If that were the case then your PC would not have even BEEN there to look into the well because as a player you knew that would be your characters choice and you would have chosen to have the PC stay at home and never have to MAKE that choice. Besides, who the hell EVER survives a proper CoC game? :)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D+1 View Post
    But that's not the same thing at all. Playing a character and knowingly making choices that will nonetheless lead to the characters demise is not the same as saying that because of the characters inevitable choices the player will NOT HAVE THEM PARTICIPATE IN THE GAME.
    That's not what the OP was asking at all
    To quote :
    I am happy and proud of playing her on how she would react and the decisions she would make. Unplayable characters (i.e. death) happen all the time.

The point of the thread was to see if this personality conflict between the character and player has ever happened to you.
    This was a conflict between me and my PC's nature. I didn't want to lose the character but it was so integral to the PC's nature that he had to look in the well

If that were the case then your PC would not have even BEEN there to look into the well because as a player you knew that would be your characters choice and you would have chosen to have the PC stay at home and never have to MAKE that choice.
    This happened about 15 sessions into the game. You know what's going to face your character 15 sessions in advance ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Once, in a WoD game, another PC murdered a few people in front of the group and I figured there was no way my character would have stuck around after that so I just had her leave and made a new one. I don't know why people are acting like it's a big deal.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Kalashak View Post
    Once, in a WoD game, another PC murdered a few people in front of the group and I figured there was no way my character would have stuck around after that so I just had her leave and made a new one. I don't know why people are acting like it's a big deal.
    I think that when many people envision this scenario, right or wrong, they imagine your character attacking the rest of the group for the murder, or something else disruptive. And it doesn't have to be that way at all. Leaving was a perfectly appropriate response, and is often the answer.

You can absolutely reach a point where having your character continue with the group would represent such a complete shift in personality that you may as well be playing a new character. At the same time, when you reach that point, everyone is perfectly right that you are in control of your character. You're still able to make different choices. And I think finding the least disruptive way to leave can be the best choice before you. Maybe this logically sets you up as an antagonistic NPC, and that's fine, but it's in the DM's hands now. It's up to them to decide to pull that trigger or not. You're not disrupting the game, you've just created another possibility the DM can use.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

If we count "not start" as stopped than yes, I have had times where I prepared a character, or just the concept, and then not played it because it didn't fit the campaign. I have never misjudged a campaign so badly I my character was inappropriate from the get-go, nor has any campaign gone long enough, with the campaign and/or character evolving far enough, that the character has become inappropriate.