New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (IC)

Oh dear. That didn't sound like Jason. Sarah quickly sought out a suitable hiding place: Preferably one that'd let her see whoever was approaching.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Katriel

Kat winces in mock distress before breaking into a grin of her own. 'I prefer my other friends but I understand Prof. Thanks again!'

She slips the note into her purse thinking on what she had received from Prof Barton. Not much of it was surprising, though that encounter with the supernatural is definitely something she'd have to follow up for curiosity if nothing else. It was what Lois Lane or Brenda Starr would do!

'Uh did this Madison Rourke dame leave a phone number or should I just call the club?'

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

THACHAEL’S LOFT

Sarah

It was perhaps Divine providence, but there was a janitors closet at the landing of the stairs that Sarah was standing on, and it was open. The inside stunk of mildew and old cleaning chemicals. It was filled with a wash basin and coiled hose to fill a non-existent mop bucket and an old broom with fraying bristles.

The door didn’t actually have a lock, or a handle for that matter – but it would give a perfect spot to observe anyone coming down the stairs without offering much of a chance of being spotted herself.

As she slid inside, the footsteps got louder, eventually cresting as a pair of people appeared at the top of the stairs directly before her.

One of the pair that appeared was an older woman with greying black hair pulled up into a severe bun, and wearing a dark maroon business suit that was well-tailored and a white blouse. She wore a heavy amount of make-up, and the fingernails on her hands were very long and painted a deep, bloody red.
    The other was a thickly built man in a sky-blue button down shirt and a pair of black slacks. He had a leather jacket folded over one arm, and a pair of fitted leather racing gloves on his hands. One of them held a sleek looking black pistol, while the other was flipping through a cellphone while he grinned down at it – a cigarette held lightly between brilliantly white teeth. His blonde hair was short and gelled to a faux-hawk, and his blue eyes were framed by a pair of sterling silver spectacles.

”I’ll handle Jason. Sue, come on! Work with me! You let the Boss know we got the Elohim, and I’ll handle the runaway.” The Man begged, the wide grin never leaving his face – twisting it into a near-rictus.

The woman scowled. ”Fine. Don’t f#ck this up! Without the compass-maker, it will be harder for anyone to find the damn thing. Just because we’re getting ready to make a move on a couple of them doesn’t mean we can afford to lose the others. Bethrezen said we’re getting a visit from some dignitaries soon, and we need to make sure everything is perfect. Do you understand me?” Her voice held a British accent and was hard and cold as ice.

The man howled a laugh as they passed the closet and began descending further down the stairs – their conversation consisting entirely of the man trying to placate the woman – Sue.

UCLA DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIONS, ROOM 103

Katriel

Barton shakes his head slowly. ”She just said come to the club whenever you’ve got time and she’ll make it work.” Barton sighs a bit. ”Just be careful Kat. Miss Rourke is very…influential….and she’s not overly fond of sensationalist reporting. Stick to the facts and…uh….try not to mention any of the stories that ran last year about her being accused of peddling drugs. You really don’t want her as an enemy.” He turned back to the class, and pulled out a small stack of folded papers.

”For the rest of you, come get your assignments. Too bad you missed out on all the good stuff!” he laughed, attention now on the rest of the class as they rose to shuffle forward and accept their duties from the Professor before leaving the classroom.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-22 at 06:18 AM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

4. - Top - End - #244

BlackDragon

Katriel

Kat smiled with (for her) solemnity. 'I understand Prof. I'll be careful.'

She left the classroom, an uncharacteristically thoughtful expression on her face. It made sense to head straight out to see Ms Rourke and get some sense of who (or more likely what) she was. Kat ducked into the nearest restroom to see if she was wearing interview appropriate attire and touch up her makeup. Even if Madison was a demon that was no excuse for showing up sloppy (and her later appearance in the evening in Club Babylon probably demanded glamorous attire and make up.)

Satisfied with her look Kat made a beeline for her beloved if painfully slow cherry red moped. She could feel her heart hammering away in her chest and there was a glint of excitement in her hazel eyes. Even if she'd just been a normal student this was a big deal, but she wasn't normal and neither (probably) was Madison.

'This is so a trap,' a small part of Kat's mind said. 'Well duh, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun,' the rest replied.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Rage flushes through Harry as he sees this. Love of family, shattered. He saw it happen to kids and their folks back in Greece. He had heard rumors that Factions had influence here, but... oh, he wanted to tear that demon's face off!

But that... urgh... that call to keep mortals in the quiet. Well, there's more than one way.

The pigeon hurls itself through one of the mesh screens in a nearby window, landing on the kitchen table between the women and the 'cop'. If fury could show in its eyes, it would. It looks at Hanna, and a voice erupts sounding like someone really mad trying to sound like the caricature of a cartoon parrot.
    SQUAWK! Might be a demon! He then turns his eyes to the cop and says, still similar but the angry tones coming through more clearly, End up like Zhar-gar-meel! SQUAWK!

He hopes Gaspariel understands being left on hold.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank goodness, I thought you would be a bit cross with me. What with the-" Khalil explained the entire debacle in detail, giving all glory to Haralambos and the motorcycle bombardment technique. Khalil retold the end of the demoness like a proud child seeking approval from it's parent. "Ideally, the motorcycle would have just killed him and set off the bomb in front of his friends. I now count my blessings it didn't. I did not realize the filthy heretic would pack so much power into the vest, I will not make that mistake again. I'm unsure if turtleneck saw any of it or took off in his true form." The part about the actual explosion still sickened Khalil. The scene replayed in his head. Where others saw an explosion, Khalil saw so much more. He saw for a moment the 'other' side of the Word of Fire unleashed.

After speaking with Solomon, Khalil acknowledges Justin's text. [Ok, thanks. Don't let any of those degenerates show up and drag her back into the muck. Keep me posted, you need anything just ask.]

The old man sat in front of the boiler room furnace, his hands clasped in player as close to the fire as he could be without injury. Gabriel, we sent three to the pit today, Harry and I. He is a good friend. He managed to completely humiliate and even prevent a servant of the vile Belial from destroying buildings and taking many innocent lives. Of course, this was in retribution as he had already taken Sopholael and other innocents from us. I managed to burn flesh off the skull of a demoness, and Harry crushed the third foe with a tossed motorcycle. I hope this pleases you. The explosion was unsettling to me, forgive me for being weak and unsteady. Please give me the mental and physical strength I need to help Caitlyn and to continue the crusade against Hell. In your name, I pray.

Khalil eyed the switchblade with disgust as he thought of where to start his investigation into the blade.

Who sold it? Who forged it? Did the same person who forged it imbue it with unholy power? Was it ordered by the demoness or was it a gift? From who? What are the materials? What happens if I touch it? Better not, chest still hurts. What if I burn it with my flame? Not yet, may need it around. How to transport it? Need a box. Holy box. Catholic church may have something. Do I have something? How to deal with Caitlyn... I don't even know this girl, what if she resists me? Getting off track, concentrate on the knife. Who was going to get a visit from Old Khalil today?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah hid quietly in her new haven. For all its janitorial imperfections, it did the job well. She just had to take care not to brush against anything; Or step on anything; Or smell anything. Peering out, she observed the two descending intruders. Definitely Demons. Worse still, they worked for Bethrezen. When he got involved, things got serious. Their conversation was worrying, to say the least. They'd 'got the Elohim'? Malchiel! Had he been captured? Forced back to Heaven? Or (God forbid) something even worse? Every time Sarah found a source of comfort, the world gave her something new to dread.

Now that the pair had...dealt with...Malchiel, they were already moving on to their next target: Jason. Or so they thought. Their schedule was about to be knocked off track. If Harry had been the one standing here, his solution would probably have involved lots of punching. Sarah preferred a more subtle approach. Once the Demons had moved far enough away, she'd slip back out of her hidey-hole. Then she'd follow the laughing man, as discreetly as possible. He seemed very confident in being able to find Jason. A Djinn, maybe? It didn't matter. Whatever tricks he had up his sleeve, they wouldn't be enough. Sarah would do whatever it took to keep Jason safe.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH, DEAR FRIENDS

Sarah

When the pair exited the building, they paused for a moment. No words were spoken between the man, and the woman called Sue, and they seemed to simply….take a moment. Sue glanced down at the ukulele-playing man with a grimace.

”Go play somewhere else, wretch.” She sniffed disdainfully, though the man didn’t move save to give her a perfunctory once-over, and returned to his music.

Sue opened her mouth to respond, when the music suddenly stopped. ”Y’know, th’best time o’day to find th’light is sunrise, lady. Dawn always helped me t’find my way. Maybe y’should try it sometime.” He rose with a pleasant smile, after picking up the crushed velvet top hat that sat in front of him. It jangled and clinked with accumulated change. Tucking both it, and the ukulele under his arm, he gave the two a brief bow and began to wander away, taking the time to wave and offer hello’s to the people he passed.

Sue seemed taken aback, and shook her head in disbelief. Her mouth gaped like a fish, and she seemed on the cusp of some sort of anxiety attack when the male clapped a hand on her shoulder – startling her from her moment.

”Forget him! Go do your bloody job, woman. I caught his scent.” The grinning, blonde haired man tapped his nose with a finger. ”Call you later. If I get him before you tell the boss, next round is on you.”

Then, they parted ways. Sue maneuvered her way through the thronging sea of Humanity, heading towards a nearby parking lot.

The man, however, looked around for a scant few moments before starting off in the other direction. He had tucked his pistol into the waist of his slacks, and pulled the leather jacket on as the sun still flickered through the abating storm ahead.

He made his way towards the subway, and once he had crossed the street he cast a pensive glance around him, before beginning his descent.

She would find him leaning against a vending machine on the platform below, puffing on a cigarette and staring blankly down one of the tunnels.

FINDING RHAPSODY

Katriel

When Katriel had finally made her way outside of the UCLA campus, the sun was beginning to finally pierce the gloom that had settled upon the city for the last few days. A Servant of Yves would likely make a vague statement about there always being a dawn after the dark, but from the rumours and whispers that were heard throughout Heaven, Los Angeles was likely in for more dark before it could truly enjoy the dawn.

While the road was filled with puddles, Kat was confident she would be able to navigate to the Rhapsody without getting totally soaked before her meeting.

The trip was uneventful, though pleasant. The spears of sunlight had begun to warm the chill from the air, but it battled with the strong sea breeze and created a tumultuous wind that kept hair fluttering and air fresh.

The Rhapsody in Red stood like a diamond in the rough. The exterior was reddish-orange brick, and had a very Bohemian style to its architecture, and seemed like it was pulled from the Pulp Novella’s of Prohibition-era Speak Easy’s.

It had a large, double door of weathered old wood, and polished brass handles. In bright red neon lights, a flowing script proclaimed it the Rhapsody in Red and the few windows on the main floor were filled with faded old posters of live bands and various musical talents. The door wasn’t being watched by any bouncers, or attendants, but the soft sound of music whispered from within past the heavy doors. The sign next to the door said Open in neon green, but as it wasn’t even time for the dinner rush, it was likely the establishment wasn’t very busy.

The inside was shaped like a large horseshoe, curving around a center stage surrounded by claret velvet curtains and several bright spotlights shone down on a sleek black grand piano that sat front and center. A Hispanic man in a while silk shirt – sleeves rolled to the elbow – and black slacks played a soulful, moving melody. Sitting atop the piano was a waifish young girl hailing from somewhere in the Middle East. She was wearing a sparkling, ruby red dress that shimmered with each movement from the sequins and rhinestones studding it. Perfectly styled hair – black with streaks of various shades of brown – fell effortlessly around her shoulders as she belted out a sultry song to the man’s melody.

There were several people scattered around the small, circular tables that clustered around the stage – though most of them seemed to be too engrossed in the song to pay much attention to the new arrival.

A large bar sat to one side, and a man in a tuxedo straight out of the 30’s stood behind it, polishing a martini glass. His perfectly waxed mustache and hair made him look like he was a throwback to a bygone age, but regardless of his rather thematic appearance, he smiled as Kat entered and set the glass aside before leaning on the bar top.

”Let me guess, doll. Manhatten. Two olives. Dry. Am I right?”

DANCOURT RESIDENCE

Haralambos

With a mighty tearing sound, the mesh screen of the window became ribbons at the Seraph-turned-Pigeons furious entrance. Small rippling disturbances in the Symphony fluttered out before fading into the omnipresent background music. The sound was abrupt, and out of the ordinary enough that the arguing between Elizabeth and Hanna fell to stunned silence.

The two women gaped at the Pigeon as it spoke through strange squawking sounds. Elizabeth looked on the edge of fainting as the surprise showed on her face. Hanna seemed to handle it with a bit more grace, though Harry could still see the rage beating in every pulse, dilating her eyes and nostrils flaring. Fists clenched and body shaking with barely contained urges of violence.

The Detective seemed a bit taken aback by Harry’s entrance, though he seemed to be recovering unnervingly quickly.

He smiled pleasantly, and shoved his hands into his pockets as he leaned back against the wall.

”Zhangarmel, huh? Did that fire-bug finally get burned by his own foolishness?” The Detective asked, quirking a brow curiously. ”Can’t say I’m not a little relieved. It’s such a waste to just…burn everything, am I right?”

SENTINEL INVESTIGATIONS

Khalil Dhali

Solomon chuckled as Khalil relayed the story. There was some underlying tension in the tone of his voice – he was obviously concerned about the violence that had begun to overtake the city – but it wasn’t often he got to hear about flying motorcycles, and exploding Demons. The Cherub of Faith was a warrior still, first and foremost, even if he’d taken a bit of a back seat in Los Angeles to help Jerichael orchestrate the offensive and defensive abilities of the various Angels in the city.

”If this turtle-neck you speak of did see your engagement with Zhangarmal, then it would be prudent to think that the rest of the Demons in Los Angeles are aware that you and Harry dispatched two of their number. Being known threats poses an interesting predicament, Khalil. On one hand, it means that you and Harry are likely to be targeted more frequently in an attempt to stop your Crusade. On the other…” Solomon laughs softly. ”Well, let’s say there are few Angels in the city who are better equipped to deal with Demonic kill-teams than you two.” It went unspoken that Jerichael and Solomon would be counted among that number, however, it was foolhardy to attack them as Solomon was always on the move and Jerichael spent much of his time at the Tether of the Sword.

When the call ended, and Khalil was ruminating about the Infernal relic as he basked in the heat he felt the soothing presence of Fire as if she was there, cupping his cheek with a strange grin. In his mind’s eye, he saw her; radiant and burning with hair like tongues of fire and skin like molten metal. In her flickering corona of light, the switchblade seemed to shrink in upon itself as it seeking some shelter from the intensity of Fire.

In its seeming terror, the firelight glinted off a singular mark tucked in the shallow crease by the blade’s tang. It was a clock – a pocket watch, to be more precise.

The ringing laughter that seemed to flutter through his ears – there but not really there – seemed pleased.

9. - Top - End - #249

BlackDragon

Katriel

There were few things better than a cool sea breeze to clear one's head and though some would say Kat's head was a bit too clear to begin with the trip left her refreshed and ready for whatever lay ahead.

The Rhapsody in Red was not what she had expected and Katriel was momentarily caught of guard. It was like being flung back in time to the good old days, drinks and all.

Well almost. No one would have called her doll back then.

Kat took a seat at the bar and smiled perkily at the bartender. 'Thanks, that sounds divine.'

She noticed she hadn't been asked for ID.

Her eyes flicked around the room, lingering longest on the singer before returning to the bartender. Resting her elbows on the bar she leaned in. 'Lovely place here. Uh, I think I'm expected. I'm Kat O'Brien.'

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Haralambos ***** his head, the quintessential look of a confused pigeon. Well, he hadn't meant to, but he guess he did break the silence between humans. If the demon was talking to him, then he guessed he could talk back. He speaks in his normal voice, hoping Hanna recognizes it from before.

He keeps his eyes on the demon, but speaks first to Hanna. "Hanna, you two are probably fightin' because of him. Some demons can cause hatred. It should fade. Try to get cover in case he starts shooting, or worse, but stay nearby."
    Then, turning straight to the demon, and bristling his feathers in... well, honestly it probably looks slightly comical, but Harry is going for threatening. The tone of violence in his voice sounds completely serious, not pleased with the demon's facade of pleasantness.
    "You Kashtiel or Kuschiel? I killed Cao Shen not long ago, and I'd be happy to send another demon back to Hell. Tell me what you want with Hanna. And hands where I can see 'em, no Singing."

Spoiler: if the cop tries something
    Show

Well, or I'll just save this for the first round of combat if when it happens. (Unless he is really persuasive or goes celestial, I don't see Harry letting him leave alive.)

Dodging:
    Acrobatics TN 10: (2d6)[8]
    Check: (1d6)[6]
    Dodge TN for intervention: (2d6)[7]
    Check: (1d6)[2]

Combat:
    Peck
    TN check for intervention: (2d6)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

I'm guessing my Seraphic senses are still fried, albeit close to coming back.
    Also, if/when combat starts, let me know if you want me to modify my TN or damage due to armor the dude has (if any). Hoping he's not packing kevlar, but I could see standard police uniforms being the equivalent of heavy clothing.

EDIT: the filter put the asterisks into my post. I meant Harry did that thing where a pigeon tilts its head sideways.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-23 at 08:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

A little kindness could make all the difference. That busker had the right attitude. Don't let the Demons pull you into their personal symphonies. Instead, show them a glimpse of the true Symphony that they try to deny. Even simple acts add up over time. It may take decades, or even centuries, to erode those layers of self delusion. But eventually, the Truth shone through. Maybe Sue had just felt its rays.

But Sue wasn't Sarah's priority right now. She was here to save a comrade. So when the pair went their separate ways, Sarah stuck with the man. She followed him across the street, and down into the subway. When he stopped, she picked a discreet place where she could do the same. He was almost certainly tracking Jason supernaturally. Sarah used that kind of thing herself sometimes. Bu today she didn't have to. Today, she could just track the tracker.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Khalil basked in the moment as long as he could, he wished it wouldn't end. Khalil realized two things immediately upon noticing the pocket watch symbol. He had found his first lead into the blade: the maker's mark. More importantly though, Gabriel had lit the way for him to find it. Here and now he had been given guidance.

Thank you, Gabriel. For all you have given and continue to give to me. Praise be to you forever, and ever.

Khalil got to work immediately, singing praises to Gabriel as he quickly made his way to the office area. He sat thinking to himself if he recognized the symbol, had a file on something similar, or if he knew someone who could.
    Last edited by XIII; 2018-05-23 at 03:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

RHAPSODY IN RED
    Katriel

The bartender flashed a charming smile to Kat, followed by a cheerful wink. "I'd love to take the credit, but all I do is mix up divine drinks." He goes through the motions, and soon enough a martini glass is slid across the bartop towards Katriel. Two fat green olives are speared on one of those little plastic coloured swords.

"Expected, hm? You the doll sent over from UCLA to interview Maddy?" He quirks a brow playfully, before setting a pair of shot glasses down on the bar. A bottle of whiskey is retreived from the shelf behind him - a hundred year old bottle, Kat notices - and he fills both glasses.

"You may want to have these before you meet her. On the house." He laughs as if privy to some inside joke, before gesturing to a bright red door with a circular port-hole of tinted glass that was situated between the men's and women's washrooms.

"Head on up if you want. Straight up the stairs and last door at the end of the hall. I'll buzz Izzy and get her to let Maddy know you're here." He offered no explanation who this 'Izzy' was.

DANCOURT RESIDENCE

Haralambos

The Detective laughs, a bit jovially considering the angry Angelic Pigeon fluffing it's feathers in front of him.

"Sorry pal. 'Fraid you got me mistaken for someone else. I ain't the Demon you're looking for, and I'm certainly not looking for a fight." He pulls his hands out of his pockets, and raises them above his head slowly to show he's not armed - not that such a thing means much from a Celestial.
    Hanna seems to have entered some sort of angry fugue, eyes bloodshot but glassy as she simply stands there seething at nothing at all. If she's registered Harry's words, she shows no signs.

"Don't worry about her right now." The Detective says while wearing a small smirk. "I admit it's not the approach I'd usually go with, but considering everything she's going through - poor kid - I needed a bit more of a hands on approach, if you know what I mean?"

"And you know what? Good on you for sending that little fire-bug back to his Master. Belial ain't got no sense of style. Such a waste. A sad, sad waste. I bet he was mighty surprised when you did 'im in, right?" The Detective certainly seemed like he was interested in talking a lot.

SENTINEL INVESTIGATIONS

Khalil Dhali

The mark was easy enough to find on the World Wide Web. It was the logo for a clockmaker's shop in Pasadena called Never Lose a Moment. The name resonated with Khalil: it was a small little Tether to Kronos, the Demon Prince of Fate, and whose hand seemed to weigh heavily upon the events currently unfolding in the city like a funerary shroud.

It would seem that the blade itself was sold by someone working the Tether, if not forged there itself.

The SUBWAY

Sarah

Sarah managed to sneak onto one of the cars of the train when the Demon boarded the next Northbound train that arrived. He seemed lost in his own little world, which wasn't too far from the truth Sarah knew, as he forced his own Symphony upon the world.

She was easily obscured by the other patrons, but was able to catch several glances of him between shuffling passengers.

After a dozen or so stops, he abruptly drew his pistol and smashed the glass shielding the emergency stop lever in the train, causing shrieks and panicked shouts to rise along with the tiny ripple Sarah percieved from the glass breaking.

He reamed on the lever, and with a screeching grind, the subway jerked abruptly as the brakes applied, causing many passengers to stumble and collapse in heaps as the train ground to a stop somewhere halfway down the line.

The man grinned, and forced the subway door open before hopping out of the train into the dim light.

14. - Top - End - #254

BlackDragon

Katriel

Katriel blushed. As strange as it was being on recieving end of such charm it wasn't entirely unpleasant. 'Thank you, you are very kind.'

As she smiled shyly at the bartender (not feigned, she did feel a little shy) she tried to stretch out and listen to the Symphony.

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show
    (3d6)[4][3][3](10)
    Check Digit: (1d6)[1]

She widened her eyes at the sight of the shots but after a moment she drained them and gave a slight shiver; Katriel the Angel might be familiar with whiskey but Kat O'Brien, twenty year old California Millennial girl was not. 'Wow... they don't teach this in UCLA. Not in class anyway. Thanks!'

After sending another smile the bartenders way Kat picked up her Manhattan and walked towards the indicated door and on up the stairs and the last door at the end of the hall, her cherry red high heels clicking along in time to her nervous heartbeat. She felt like she was heading into the belly of the beast and the fact that she found the decor and staff charming rather than offputting only added to her unease.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah was caught completely off guard by the sudden stop. She staggered and almost fell as the train lurched to a halt. Unbelievable! Even Demons usually kept lower profiles than this. Had she been spotted? Maybe. But this guy didn't seem like the type to flee from a pursuing Angel. Maybe Jason was just a really high priority target. Sarah hesitated. If she ran after the Demon, her cover would probably be blown. And he almost certainly had the advantage over her in a direct fight. But every second he spent engaging her would be an extra second's head start for Jason. Decision made, she dashed out of the train after him.

The lawyer did at least try to stay covert. Her pursuit of the Demon was as quiet and invisible as she could manage. After all, some people really were that oblivious.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

This... is not what I'm used to. I'm not a talker, though the pigeon-warrior. urgh, how long ago did my senses fry? Well, maybe...

"I know you all fight amongst yourselves, so fine--I killed one of your foes, good for you. I'll claim credit for Gluttony's cook, too. Now tell me your name, Band, and Superior, or I start ripping your vessel apart." Moving a hair closer, he tries to activate his Resonance and adds, "Don't lie to a Seraph."

Please don't be Shedim. Don't know how to fight Shedim, he silently prays.

Show

As noted last post, I think it's on the edge of if Resonance would be working again or not. But I can see Harry not knowing until he tries, so I'll have him try.
    I guess count it as Detect Lies if it can't be Resonance. Detect Lies is @ 6.

(2d6)[9] @ 8 (if Resonance), 6 (if Detect Lies)
    (1d6)[5]

C'mon triple 1s and Michael decides to show up at this moment
    EDIT: well, I guess Harry knows if his senses are still fried or not, not that it matters with that result. Really glad didn't re-fry via a 6 I really wish I put him at 9 Perception, 3 Will. I've looked at the probability plots, and a boost from 8-->9 gives about a 10% increase in chance success. (TN 10 seems the sweet spot to me, on chances of success, at least if not going for auto-successes via 12+ TNs.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-24 at 07:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Khalil felt like some good old fashioned gumshoe work was what the situation called for. He dug up as much info on the place as he could before heading that way. He'd have to thoroughly case the place and be extremely cautious. Hopefully there was somewhere nearby he could stake out at. Eventually, he'd break in and see what he could find or pay any persons of interest a visit at home.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

THE SUBWAY

Sarah

The subway tunnel was dimly lit at best, and the smell of dust and other unpleasantness seemed to permeate the concrete. Some lights were flickering, and the number of shadows that Sarah could hide in were significant. As she followed the Demon through a winding warren of tunnels and maintenance rooms, she picked up on a new smell: stagnant water...and rot.

The Demon suddenly stopped in the center of a tunnel, feet straddling the middle-rail.

He chuckled darkly to himself.

"Come on out, bud. I know you're there!" He was holding the gun in hand still, tapping the barrel along his thigh as if in time with some maddening tune only he could hear.

From the darkness of the tunnel ahead of him, Sarah saw Jathiriel slink forward. His face was set in grim determination. He held under one arm a heavy tome of sorts, and Malchiel's satchel was slung over his shoulder.

The Demon, back still turned to Sarah, snickered. "You know...you shoulda stayed above ground, right? Totally got lost I bet...and I bet you also know what's up ahead. Who is up ahead. Bad mojo, dude. Shouldn't have run from Fate."

It took the Demon a moment to realize Jathiriel was holding the book; when he did, he hissed in anger.

"Where did you get that?!" He all but bellowed at the Balseraph.

Jathiriel just smiled, and for a half-moment it looked as if he was staring directly at Sarah.

"Just a little something I picked up...." Came the flippant reply.

The pistol in the Demon's hand twitched slightly, and Sarah could imagine the Demon itching to start shooting.

ON THE CLOCK

Khalil Dhali

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

It will take Khalil a little while to drive to Pasadena and visit the Tether if he's going corporeally. Celestial travel is much faster, but going towards an Infernal Tether in your celestial form is asking for trouble.

How you get there will determine what happens next.

DANCOURT RESIDENCE

Haralambos

The Detective chuckles, and shakes his head.

"Really? You're the guy who offed Lee? Damn, that's cold. You got a few more notches in your halo now pal, hmm? Good on you. Those two were just takin' up space."

The Detective, tilted his head slightly to the side.

"Look pal, I really don't want to get into a fight with you right now, 'kay? I've got more important things to deal with than put an Angel in his place. So...how about we make a deal?"

He glances towards the fainted Elizabeth and the catatonic Hanna.

"I'll leave your girlfriend alone. I'll even make sure she's not bothered by anyone else on my side of the fence for...say...." He taps his lips with a finger, thoughtfully."Three days. I'll even tell you my name and who my boss is. How's that sound to you? I hope you'll take my offer, pal. I really, really don't have time to waste on you."

Show

Harry is close to having his Resonance back but not quite there yet if my mental math is correct.

Counting your roll as a Detect Lies, Harry doesn't detect any dishonesty from the Demon

A decent Will is very important. Not all Demons (or Angels) show their danger through martial means.

RHAPSODY IN RED

Katriel

Spoiler: Resonance Results
    Show

The bartender thinks he's a nice guy, compared to some of the people associates with. He's no Angel but he's not a total @$$hat.

The bartender grinned at Katriel as she downed the shots, and dipped his head in an amused nod. "No, dollface. That they don't."

He offered a small wave as she turned with her drink and headed away from the bar, swiftly turning to interact with another patron who was approaching for a refill.

The hallway was pained a deep, vibrant red and each door was a polished black. All were closed, and based on the polished brass deadbolts each held, it wasn't an area she was likely going to be able to explore without some creative thinking.

The door at the end of the hallway was framed by black, but was itself the same red paint of the walls. Upon the front was a large star painted in glittering gold.

From through the door, Kat could hear the filtering sounds of the live music from downstairs piped through an in-house radio system.

Before Kat even had a chance to knock, a distinctly feminine voice beckoned her in with a Parisian accent.

"Bonjour, Miss O'Brien. Please...won't you come in?"

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Harry growls, or as close to it as his vessel can manage.

"I said what I said, and I said I'm a Seraph. Name, Band, and Master, or we fight. And I wanna know how you think you can get the other demons to leave her alone. If you're unwilling... well, if you think you can take me, maybe I'd get a fight that's actually a challenge."

Haralambos notes to himself that he very clearly has not said that giving him that info would mean he'd forgo the fight. Just that not giving it meant he would fight. Still, protection for Hanna for three days? It was a trap of some sort, sure, but it'd give him time to hunt and kill others, maybe including this guy.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-24 at 10:53 PM. Reason: fixed typo

20. - Top - End - #260

BlackDragon

Katriel

Being called 'Dollface' was even more disorientating than 'Doll'. Again not bad exactly, but not something Kat was used to hearing in her direction.

She wasn't sure whether to feel reassured or not that the bartender just seemed to be a regular guy. Still, she smiled at him before heading towards the door.

When she reached the 'star' door and was called out by name Kat blinked in surprise, then remembered the bartender had buzzed her through and that her stylish shoes were not exactly silent. Fighting off a blush she opened the door and smiled shyly as she entered. 'Thank you and bonjour too. I'm Kat O'Brien from UCLA.'

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah darted between various shadowy hiding places. She took care to avoid getting stained by any of the local substances. Angels have to be true to themselves. Elohim can't just let loose at a party; Ofanim can't just sit still in a waiting room; And Lilim can't just get dirty in a subway tunnel.

Suddenly, her quarry stopped. Sarah heard him call out to someone in the darkness. Had she been spotted? No, not her. A familiar figure soon answered the call. Jason! Sarah's hidden face lit up in relief. She'd reached him in time. He was safe. Oh sure, he was being threatened by a Demon with an itchy trigger finger. But in a few seconds, that wouldn't matter. Sarah focused her eyes on Jason; Then she focused her soul on where she wanted him to be. Through silent Song, a wish could become reality.

Show
    Sarah uses the Celestial Song of Motion on Jason {TN 9; +1 to the check digit}: (3d6)[5][6][3](14)

And yes, I already know that this plan isn't going to work. Sarah, however, lacks my OOC information.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

It didn't take Khalil long to rule out celestial travel. Undoubtedly, he'd be outnumbered and outgunned at the target site so he wanted to keep the lowest profile possible. He'd go it the mortal way and drive unless there was suitable public transportation. He'd settle for a private jet or helicopter though, he thought to himself.

Show
    Unacceptable paper trails with commercial flights. Unless there is a train heading over there, driving it is.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

RHAPSODY IN RED
    3:00 PM

Katriel

The office of Madison Rourke was, if nothing else, eclectic. The room was sort of shaped like a hemisphere, with the entrance sitting along the flat portion of the wall. Flanking the door were low, leather-clad couches in brilliant scarlet leather and black coffee tables. The walls were filled, top to bottom with signed photographs of various celebrities, politicians and other notable people ranging from the early days of Hollywood to present. Marilyn Monroe, John F. Kennedy, Babe Ruth, Tupak, Kenney Rogers, the entire first cast of CATS, and many, many more. The large desk that sat at the head of the room was solid, heavy looking wood and bore large brass rings at each corner. One of them had a soft-looking silk scarf tied around it securely and left dangling off the edge.
    There was a liquor cabinet tucked into the corner, and the curved wall behind the desk was one entire aquarium – illuminated from within and hosting countless exotic species of fish.

Kat noticed, perhaps belatedly, that the roof had a number of heavy-duty metal hooks, rings and other implements that looked as if they could support a great amount of weight.

Madison herself, was a short-looking woman who case a large proverbial shadow. She was sitting behind her desk, a slim Apple laptop the only thing upon the desk aside from three bottles of beer; two were empty, and the third was down to the last dregs. She was in a pair of tight black leather pants, and an over-large white silk blouse that hung open save for a single button just above her navel. She had dark wavy hair, maybe brown – maybe black – depending on how the light fell and keen, steely grey eyes. Smokey eye-shadow and a hint of mascara was worn, otherwise she seemed to be content to go without too much in the way of extras.

When Kat walked in, Madison rose from behind her desk and stepped around to greet her with a shake of her hand.

C’est un plaisir de vous rencontrer. She smiled as she spoke, the grin tempting and wicked enough to give even the staunchest Malakim a thrill. [b]”My apologies, Kat O’Brien, I had a conference call with a colleague back home in Paris and it is…difficult to adapt sometimes. Welcome to my club.”

THE SUBWAY
    3:00 PM

Sarah

The Song rushed out through the individual Chord of the Symphony, seeking to change and alter to the Will of the Singer. Sarah saw the Song begin to wrap Jathiriel in its embrace, ready to shift him across the Symphony when there was suddenly a shadowy pall that seemed to rise from the skin-bound tome he carried. It severed the Song with a celestial screech, and the Demon suddenly howled in pain – staggering as the gun dropped from his hands and blood began to run from his ears, eyes and nose.

Sarah could see ephemeral limbs reaching from the book through the Symphony towards her, following the notes of the Song she sang. The reaving talons surged towards her, though just as suddenly they stopped, hovering around her in seeming indecision. In a blink, the limbs and the claws faded and seemed to blow away on some insubstantial breeze.

Jathiriel’s eyes widened in shock as the Djinn roared, staring at the blood now staining his hands and still running in bright rivulets.

”What…what was that?” He glanced at the book nervously, then to Sarah, before hustling over towards her as fast as he could.

”I…don’t know what you did….but thank you!”

DANCOURT RESIDENCE
    2:25 PM

The Detective sighed, a bit melodramatically.

”Typical. Y’know I don’t know why I even bother sometimes.” He turned his gaze to Hanna for a moment, before glancing only briefly at Haralambos.

”I’m Detective Sawyer. Well…Baraghur…if you wanna split hairs.” He turned towards Harry and his expression darkened considerably. ”And I’ve warned you, and I even asked you nicely to not push this, kid. I have better things to do than teach you manners! But you’re pissing me off!”

Harry suddenly feels as if sharp razors have pierced his heart and mind, seeking to cut through his emotional responses to open a veritable floodgate of overpowering feelings.

Show

Baraghur’s Habbalite Resonance against Haralambos (effect: Sadness)
    (2d6)[4][3](7)
    Check Digit (1d6)[1]

Harry’s Will Roll to Resist
    (2d6)[1][1](2) vs. TN 4
    Check Digit (1d6)[2]

Holy cr@p! Talk about a good roll! Almost Divine Intervention!

In a monumental effort of Willpower, Haralambos bore the sudden crushing weight of sadness and despair that threatened to overwhelm him and render him as catatonic as Hanna.

The Detective frowned, blinking in surprise.

"Well....f#ck!"

NEVER LOSE A MOMENT
    4:15 PM

Khalil Dhali

The neighborhood was quiet; the epitome of a suburban life, with white picket fences and families walking their dogs or bringing their kids home in SUV’s.

The shop in question was quaint, in a manner that reminded Khalil of a quintessential grandparents house. It had a fully tended garden, with roses and lilies and gardenias blossoming in full. The short, waist-length fence was white – though faded – and the small wooden porch contained a pair of wicker chairs and a wooden swing.

On the roof, shingles were peeling and faded and likely in need of some repair. It was easy to imagine the inside of the shop leaking in the heavy rain.

A hang-painted sign hung above the front door on the awning, with a clock and flowing script proclaiming it as Never Lose A Moment.

An older woman knelt in the dewy grass, transplanting a few beautiful orchids, while her hands were clad in gardening gloves and she hummed a small tune to herself while she worked. Upon the swing, lazing about was an absolutely adorable looking tabby cat. It had a simple leather collar with a paw-print tag.

As Khalil pulled up in front of the house-turned-shop, the tabby seemed to pick its head up and watch the beetle approach.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-26 at 02:28 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264

BlackDragon

Katriel

Kat felt a blush tinge her cheeks as Madison looked at her.

'Remember she's probably a demon,' Kat thought to herself. 'Also I hate those pants.'

It helped slightly. Coming from an era where women nearly all wore skirts or dresses leather pants were not a look Kat could embrace either in her old womanising male self her new fashion conscious female self.

Still...Madison Rourke wore them well.

'Thank you Miss Rourke, its a pleasure. You have an interesting place here,' Kat said cheerfully. As they shook hands she perked her ears to listen for the sounds of the Symphony.

Show

(2d6)[6][4](10)
    CD: (1d6)[2]

'So, I probably shouldn't be saying this but you are my first big interview for the college. Go easy on me!' Kat said, hoping Madison wouldn't register her annoyingly persistent blushing.
    Last edited by RossN; 2018-05-26 at 05:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah's thoughts echoed those of Jason. What was that?! Why had the book screamed? Why did it destroy her Song? Why had only the Djinn been hurt? Why did the claws vanish just before they reached her? All questions for later. Right now, the most pressing question was 'how do we escape from the angry bleeding Demon?'. Because Sarah definitely wouldn't try Singing again. Beckoning to Jason, she ran back the way she'd entered.

"We need to get back to street level! Hiding from that man isn't an option. But can you maybe hide that book? It's going to attract the wrong kind of attention!"

Her mind raced along with her body. Had she passed any ladders, stairwells or access hatches on the journey here? If none sprang to mind, then she'd just have to search for some.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Khalil enjoyed long drives, they brought him peace and time for reflection. It did make him nervous to be so far away from Kaitlyn and Harry, the two people who may need him at any moment. Khalil started to worry about Sarah when he remembered the threats made against her. Sarah was resourceful though, he shouldn't think so lowly of her as to compare her to a damsel in distress.

Khalil hoped for a house for rent or sale, somewhere he can set up shop and not be noticed for a while as he starts the long and drawn out process of staring at the place and taking notes. He would avoid getting too close to the place, he didn't want to be recognized... Yet...

Another thought would be how to handle the infernal blade, he hadn't had to deal with such things before but thought maybe one of Eli's could help in destroying it. Now, who did he know...

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh, if only a pigeon could smile!

"Habbalah! Been a while since I killed one of you liars, demon!"
    And, as he had hoped, it ends as it should: with a pigeon's claws raking against his face.
    "Just wish I knew who you served 'fore I send you back to 'em."

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

EDIT: so, so glad I made that Will roll. TN 4 is not something I reckoned I'd succeed on.

I already rolled for round 1. I'd think no surprise round, since we were both basically waiting for each other to make the first move, so I'll count that earlier combat round as mine, if that's cool.

Spoiler: Copy & Paste from earlier post, about what to do if the cop tries something
    Show

Dodging:
    Acrobatics TN 10: (2d6)[8]
    Check: (1d6)[6]
    Dodge TN for intervention: (2d6)[7]

Combat:
    Peck
    TN check for intervention: (2d6)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

Here's for round 2, if it matters. Harry plans to keep raking the eyes and face in round 2, unless a Song clearly changes things.
    Dodging:
    Acrobatics TN 10: (2d6)[10]
    Dodge TN for intervention: (2d6)[6]
    Check: (1d6)[1]

Combat:
    Fist/Kick
    TN check for intervention: (2d6)[7]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[4]
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-26 at 02:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

RHAPSODY IN RED

Katriel

The brunette didn’t register at all as Katriel attempted to utilize her Resonance on the owner of the club and swiftly found herself listening to disjointed static as her Resonance burned out – partially deafening her to one aspect of the Symphony.

Madison walked over to the liquor cabinet at the side of the room and poured herself some scotch from an expensive looking crystal decanter. It smelled rich and peaty.

”Why thank you, Miss O’Brien. I do take such pleasure in my establishment. It’s something of a life’s work for me.” She takes a small sip, eyes twinkling as she leans back to rest her hip on the side of her desk while swirling the rich amber liquid around in her glass.

”My my….a virgin then, hmm?” She drawls with a cheshire grin, brow lofting in amusement. ”I’m honoured to be the one to take your journalistic cherry….but darling, I don’t go easy on anyone. I find a it’s better to learn with a firm hand.”

Her own words earn a soft, musical laugh from her and she gestures to one of the chairs before her.

”Please, ask away.”

The SUBWAY

Sarah

”I’m not sure where I can hide it safely….” Jason frowned as he followed Sarah in their escape.

Sarah and Jason ran through the darkened subway tunnels, twisting and turning as Sarah tried to remember the way back through the maze-like pathways she had followed the Djinn through. Eventually, with the enraged howls of the Demon in the distance, they came upon a ladder that was marked to lead up into the maintenance area of a train terminal on ground level.

And fortuitously, it wasn’t locked.

Ascending as quick as possible, they burst through the maintenance hatch at the top and found themselves surrounded by people milling about waiting for the next train.

Jason closed the hatch behind them, and flicked the lock with a satisfying click.

”That should stop him…at least for a little while.”

He huffed, breathing hard, and glanced up at the Bright Lilim with a small smile.

”Thanks.” He glanced around nervously; only a few of the people milling about had looked their way and most of them turned their attentions back to their phones, or newspapers that kept them occupied during their travels. The Balseraph’s expression brightened for a moment as he spotted a bank of lockers and he swiftly located one that wasn’t in use. Fumbling a few coins from his pocket, he slammed the book into the locker and slipped the coins in. A moment later, the locker door was slammed closed and he held a small, innocuous key in hand.

”I feel…lighter. I think the book was keeping me anchored.” He furrowed his brow for a moment. ”I feel like I can assume celestial form again…..”

NEVER LOSE A MOMENT

Khalil Dhali

The local Angel of Eli was Malchiel, though he had been sent with the Balseraph to investigate Thachael’s Loft and hadn’t been heard from since. The Seneschals of the various Tethers would likely have information on whom to contact if Malchiel wasn’t available – especially Mercy, as Novalis shared a certain rapport with the wayward Archangel of Creation.

Around him, the neighborhood buzzed still with later afternoon activity, but it wasn’t until a large moving truck began to pull away from a house down the street that Khalil realized one of the families was packing their final belongings into their min-van, preparing to leave the small, one-story house with the large For Sale sign on the front lawn next to a rose bush.

THROWING DOWN AT DANCOURTS

Haralambos

The Demon-Detective, now revealed as one of the Punishers – a Habbalah – recoiled and threw his hands up as the Pigeon-Angel raked his small claws across his eyes. Blood spilt from the gashes left – and though they were small, there was a fair bit of ruin to his cheek and eye-socket.

The Habbalah Detective scowls, wiping at the blood on his face and hisses at Haralambos.

"You made me bleed, you filthy Angel! How DARE you! Watch yourself, fool! I ain't gonna forget this!" The Demon released a burst of Essence into the Symphony, and Haralambos could feel the chords of the Symphony shifting and pulling on the Demon's form.

A moment later, with a whooshing pop that was felt and heard in the Symphony as well as the corporeal world, the Demon simply....vanished.

Show

Celestial Song of Motion
    (2d6)[1][5](6)
    Check Digit (1d6)[2]
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-27 at 03:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Haralambos felt invigorated by the Forces Michael had used to forge him. He had resisted the dark lies of the Habbalah, victorious, and done at least some damage to the fiend's vessel. Plus ticked off the scum. Win-win.
    Disappointing that the coward ran.

Harry glances to Hanna and her mom. Assuming they both seem out of it, he gives a soft, "Wait here. Should be back soon," as he flies out the window. First, he glances over the surrounding area. The fiend probably had enough skill at the Song to be miles away by now, but there's a chance he just popped down the street.

If Haralambos finds him, he dives, aiming for the neck, and hoping he doesn't teleport away again. Or if Harry sees his squad car driving off, he flies through the roof to strike at the cop. If he teleports again, Harry looks around again.

If not, Haralambos returns to his phone, and, after confirming Gaspriel is still there (or calling him if not), says, "Cop went by Detective Sawyer. Also named Baraghur, he said. Habbalah. I'm guessing he's been screwing with Hanna all-day, based on how she acted earlier. Coward ran away by Celestial Motion, with a gash on his head. Weird thing: not only did he say he didn't want to waste time fighting, he said he's leave Hanna be for three days I agreed to let him walk away. Guessin' that's some timeline you and the other Seneschals should talk about."
    If the squad car is by the Dancourt's, Harry also relays that info to him, asking at the end, apologetically:
    "I don't know how much Hanna's, um, mom? Adopted mom? will remember, but she definitely saw some odd stuff before passing out. I really meant to keep the silence about the celestial, but, um, she me as a pigeon squawk like a parrot, then the cop started talking openly. Sorry, but it seemed he was close to making the two of them fight each other. Can you send Ryan, or one of your guys in the know, to pick them up? I should talk to Hanna more, but I'm worried about their safety. Maybe with that demon not influencing them, she'll be more open to protection.

If you need time, I plan to stay here for the next while. I want to talk to Hanna and divine the truth about some things.
    "
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-27 at 07:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah kept careful watch as Jason locked away the book. Even now, she didn't feel at all safe. Their escape had just won a brief reprieve. Until poor Jason managed to achieve Redemption, the crosshairs would be fixed upon him. As soon as he'd divested himself of the tome, Sarah beckoned him towards the exit.

"Glad to hear it. Now, let's get you to the Howitzer; Or maybe Mercy's place? Not sure what defences she has. That Djinn can track you wherever you go. We have to go beyond his reach. Once we get away from prying eyes, I can send you straight there. That's what I was trying to do when the book...did whatever it did."