The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 41 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

This will be the official OOC Thread for the In Nomine: Los Angeles.

IC Thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...s-Angeles-(IC)
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-03-22 at 06:02 PM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

Sopholael adjusted his glasses as he sat down in the chair, regarding the others in the room levely, smiling politely as he rested his hands on the table. He was wearing a dress shirt, vest, tweed jacket and corduroy pants, the very picture of the time honoured librarian. When he spoke it was with a vaguely British accent.

“Thank you for your invitation. I’m pleased to be of service.”

1. State your names, your Choir, and your Superior.

“Of course. My name is Sopholael, in this vessel I am Victor Dyson. I am of the Elohim, and in service of Yves.”

2. How old are you and what is your first memory after your creation?

“I first remember seeing humanity. They were glorious creatures, with so much knowledge to them.”

3. What is your fondest memory?

“Once, I participated in a crossword puzzle competition. It was perhaps the most enjoyable times I have spent on this plane.”

4. What is it about your Superior and their Word that appeals to you so much?

“I am a creature of reason and rationality. Do you enjoy science fiction? If I were any Star Trek character, I would be a Vulcan. Yves shares a...sympathy with that feeling.”

5. What is your view on Discordant and overly Dissonant Angels?

“I do not understand why one would act in dissonance with the symphony. It is unthinkable. Regardless, I suppose I feel sorry for them. And would aid them if I could.”

6. If a friend of yours became an Outcast, would you turn them in?

“After weighing all of the facts in all detail, if I found it to be in the best possible interest of Heaven, yes.”

7. What are the top three things you appreciate about the Corporeal World?

“First, there is coffee. Oh I know, you would think my vessel might suggest tea, but no. Coffee is even better. Second, well, would be my fine young charges at the school. I do so love working in the library. Finally...well, I suppose I’d have to say music. I have become something of an afficianado in my time here.”

[to be continued...]

8. What are the three things you dislike the most about the Corporeal World?
    9. Tell me three moments of your life that defined who you are today?
    10. If you had to listen to one mortal song on repeat for a whole day, which would it be? And what style of music do you like the most out of all the human genre’s?
    11. Tell me two moments of your life you regret. One during your time in the Celestial Realm, and one during your time in the Corporeal World. It does not have to be in Los Angeles.
    12. How do you feel about God’s abandonment of Heaven and the Angels?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm working on my interview while I eat dinner, but for now I'll just repost Jason's character sheet and claim this shade of blue (#3883C1) as his speech color.

Text formatting conventions:
    "Normal speech" in double quotation marks.
    'Inner monologue/private thoughts' italicized in single quotations.
    «Languages other than English» in guillemets, with a note as to which. Will probably pull double-duty for denoting telepathy, should it come up.

Spoiler
    Show
    CONDITION
    Health 96 / 96, Essence 10 / 10
    Body 12 / 12
    Mind 24 / 24
    Soul 60 / 60

ACTIVE EFFECTS
    1. Truthfulness/6: Roll (Will – Truthfulness) whenever you attempt to lie or use the Balseraph resonance. Failure obligates you to tell the truth instead.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-03-25 at 02:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

For ease of my own writing/thinking, I'll put my character's stuff in italics or color-coded. Also, can I reserve teal for speech, if we're color-coding speech?

Day 2 note: Tail lasting until 5 pm. Barbs lasting until a bit before 8 pm. Celestial Attraction on Famine until about 5 pm.
    Current HP/MP (as of 9/25/19)

Harry (currently pigeon)
    HP: 67/88, 60/66
    Essence: 3/9 (spent 1 for Barbs)

Tink:
    HP: 45/45
    Essence 4/7

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

I've been having trouble on appearance. I feel he should be muscular, at least so his strength doesn't shock too much. I've been throwing thoughts around between the actor Andre the Giant (not sure, but something not fully appealing), the Tyler Durden character from Fight Club (too thin a build to picture with a broadsword), or Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist (too silly).

I typed bodybuilder into Wikipedia and found Eugen Sandow. I think his look will work well. So my guy looks like him.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugen_Sandow

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Haralambos, Seraph of Michael

Forces
    Corporeal 5 (Str 11 / Agility 9)
    Ethereal 1 (Int 2 / Precision 2)
    Celestial 3 (Will 4 / Perception 8)

Vessels
    Madman Harry, disowned (but given an allowance) son of a wealthy family. Thought to have a learning disability, it generally comes off as an endearing innocence. Raves about monsters & demons when the topic comes up. Enjoys fighting and is seen at the Gravel Pits from time to time. Has a long sword he carries on missions when he thinks he might need it and cops are unlikely.
    Vessel Level 3: HP = (5 Corporeal + 3 Vessel) * 11 Str = 88 (22 pts. to stun)
    Role (Hunter) 4, Status 3
    Charisma 1
    Usually carries a knife and wears kevlar armor. Used to carry a pistol, but his aim is so terrible he stopped to avoid problems.

A nondescript light grey pigeon. Vessel 1. HP = (5+1)*11= 66 (17 pts to stun)
    Mainly used for scouting & if need to fly without using angelic wings. He plans to ask Michael for a Body Bag eventually to help use this to avoid Trauma.

Servant
    Spoiler: Tink (Class 6--familiar 7 Forces, Rank 1)
    Show

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

Tink wasn't always a familiar. She had been a reliever for about 200 years. She started as a minor spirit of battle, created by Michael to assist some of his Servitors encouraging and protecting soldiers. Over time, her service and dedication allowed her to gain more Forces. At about age 40, she was certain she wanted to become a warrior-angel. And she stuck to it, eventually even getting a vessel to use in corporeal combat. Although she was definitely weaker than the angels she worked with, she could hold her own against non-martial demons and fight your average Soldier or undead.

She was serving in Greece where Haralambos was created and first stationed. Although her duties were minor compared to the angels, she served well. She and Haralambos got along, and she respected his strength, and was saddened when she saw him die. Unlike most of the angelic forces in the city, she survived. She did get censured a little bit by a Servitor of the Sword, the one leading the battle, for not withdrawing immediately when the order to abandon the city came. But she was awarded a Force by Michael for staying behind and using Celestial Motion to teleport away two angels who were unconscious and surely would have died if not for her actions.

She served in various places for the next few decades, gaining power slowly, but also gaining undue confidence in her abilities. That's what cost her and got her into her present state. Just a week ago, she gained her 8th Force.
    She received a message to get an angel to a certain location to do celestial combat. She interpreted it as any angelic celestial, and she went herself, hoping her initiative would earn her the final Force needed to finally become an angel. Well, she lost the Celestial Force she had recently been awarded. Then, close to losing another, she retreated to Heaven, gaining dissonance. And the demon got away. Humiliated and ashamed, she faced the Servitor she was assigned to as well as Michael's steely gaze.

As punishment, she was made a familiar. She was stripped of her current vessel, an athletic street kid, and given the body of a small kitten. Michael decided to send her to Haralambos, knowing the two had worked together in the past, and thinking the now-familiar would be useful to the situation with the Five until his Malakim could be gathered.

Although currently a little sullen about her failure and loss of power, she's generally pretty happy and excited. Childlike, but in a sly, playful manner whereas Harry is more straight-forward. She enjoys battle, and is a bit overconfident in her abilities, although her recent failure and her embarrassing vessel are giving her the starts of appropriate humility. She reckons she's become an Ofanim one day, but is really happy with whatever, as long as it's not a serious Elohite or Malakim. She hopes, if she serves well as a familiar, she'll be given a human vessel again and get back on the road to becoming an Angel of War.

After the move Peter Pan came out, she started going by the name Tinkerbell, or Tink for short, as she thought the pixie resembled her celestial form, and she liked Tinkerbell's spunky attitude. She doesn't really realize that the name makes it hard for others to take her seriously.

Forces 7
    Corporeal 3 (Strength 9 / Agility 3)
    Ethereal 1 (Intelligence 2 / Precision 2)
    Celestial 3 (Will 6 / Perception 6)--TN 5 to resist orders

Vessel
    Rank 2 little kitten - 6 points. (HP=(3+2)*9=45 hits)

Skills
    Large Weapons 1
    Language: Greek 2
    Fighting 4
    Dodge 4

Songs
    Corporeal Healing 3 (TN 6)
    Celestial Healing 1 (TN 4)
    Celestial Motion 5 (TN 8)
    Celestial Tongues 2 (TN 5)

Combat Stats
    Dodge TN 7
    Kitty claws are TN 13, damage of 1d6+3
    TN is 9 Str + 3 Corp Forces - 3 accuracy penalty + 4 Fighting = 13
    Power is TN of 13 - 12 + 1 for Strength 9+ + 1 for Fighting 4= 3

Spoiler: Jimmy Fisher (Class 4--normal human, Rank 1)
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Sometimes a vet makes money on the side doing patch work for those who don't want to go to the hospital. Sometimes someone winds up owing the wrong people money. For Jimmy Fisher, both were true.

He made some bad bets and his debtors decided to pay him a lesson by throwing in him the Gravel Pits. He wound up fighting Harry, who was rather new to town and scouting the area. As they circled each other, Harry asked him what was up, and the guy admitted the truth. Or part of it -- he was surprised how Harry seemed to guess the rest. Anyway, Harry took a few punches, then knocked the guy flat and told him to stay down. He did.

After the fight, Harry confronted the folk Jimmy owed money to. Harry said he'd work it off via winnings in the Pit, and that they should leave Jimmy alone. They disagreed, but after about a minute all of them were bloody and decided to just forgive the debt. Jimmy said he owed Harry one and left.

After a bad fight with a demon a few months later, Harry showed up at Jimmy's door, bleeding. He patched him up. A few nights later, Harry asked Michael for permission to inform Jimmy of the truth and make him a servant, someone to patch up angels hurt in the War. Michael agreed, both of them hoping this could help the human seek Destiny instead of middling goals.

So Jimmy became a medic for angels. He doesn't know who is an angel and who isn't, besides Harry, not wanting to be known and Harry wanting to keep him ignorant for everyone's safety, but it's known that for a hundred bucks or so a Soldier of Heaven can drop by for a touch-up. And generally can just put it on Harry's tab.

Forces 5
    Corporeal 2 (Str 4/ Agil 4)
    Ethereal 2 (Int 4 / Precision 4)
    Celestial 1 (Will 2 -> 3, Perception 2 -> 3)*
    *spending bonus points to boost

Status 3 (veterinarian) -- 4 points (Status 1 free, so 2 cost * 2 extra ranks for 4 point cost)
    Will + 1 -- 3 points
    Perception + 1 -- 3 points

Medicine 4 (he's a vet but does patchwork on the side)
    Knowledge (veterinary science/animals) 3 (he's a vet)
    Lying 1 (for covering up debts or crime--yes, it bugs Harry)
    Ranged Weapons 1 (has concealed carry permit in case trouble comes)
    Dodge 1 (trained a tad after the Gravel Pits)

Acts as a doctor. Also has a few, limited criminal contacts from others he treats.
    Generally okay with treating Harry, and treating others if he's paid for it and it doesn't bring trouble to his door.
    Will resist going into dangerous places, helping strangers without pay, or helping if it brings trouble to him or his clinic. Also resists giving intel if it might anger a criminal contact of his.

Songs
    Song of Shields: Corporeal 5 (TN 10)
    Song of Numinous Corpus: Tail 3 (TN 8)
    Song of Numinous Corpus: Barbs 1 (TN 6)
    Song of Numinous Corpus: Wings 5 (TN 10)
    Song of Attraction: Corporeal 1, Celestial 3 TN (6/6)

Skills
    Fighting 0 (but using errata of default of 0)
    Dodge 3, Acrobatics 1, Tracking 1, Move Silently 1, Large Weapon 1

Spoiler: Character Point Expenditure at char-gen
    Show

17 points on Madman Harry (9 Vessel, (4*3)/2=6 Role/Status, 2 Charisma)
    3 points on Pigeon form
    2 Song of Healing Servant
    4 Song of Shields
    1 Tail
    4 Songs of Attraction
    5 skills

Spoiler: XP Expenditure: 9 total
    Show

2 Dodge
    1 Tail Song

1 Tail Song
    1 Barbs Song
    1 Corporeal Shield Song
    3 Familiar (Tink)

Spoiler: Combat & Skill Checks
    Show

Punch: TN 16, Power 2 (3 with gloves)
    Kick: TN 15, Power 2 (3 with boots)
    Longsword: TN 17, Power 9
    Axe: TN 16, Power 8
    Tail: TN 14, Power 5
    Barbs: TN 17, Power 6

Throwing @ TN 6 (Agility 9 - 3 penalty)

Dodge: target number 12
    Acrobatics: 10 (Agility 9 + 1 Acrobatics)

Kevlar gives 2 (4 vs. firearms) penalty to be hit, 2 protection.

Move Silently @ 10, Tracking @ 9

Spoiler: Interview
    Show

Haralambos enters the room. Ugly place, but not that such things mattered. Efficient, he guessed. Good enough.
    He had a pleasant smile for the people there, although he realized they weren't here for a friendly reason. Still, Michael told him to cooperate. Odd for Dominic's followers, but he'd obey. He sat down in the chair, a bit small for large build, but not too uncomfortable. Out of habit, he attuned to his resonance for detecting lies, not that he figured these angels would lie to him. Well, probably.

He gave a friendly thank you for the cookies, putting them aside. Eating wasn't his thing, but he wanted to accept hospitality. He was sure some homeless would appreciate them later.

When Adelwale entered, he stood up respectfully with a smile.

”Do you mind if I record this? Great” "Of cou-..." and he realized the answer was assumed. Well, Michael didn't make him to be savvy, just fight and be good.

”State your name for the record. All your names.”

"I am Haralambos, Seraph of Michael. This body is Harry Chrysodoulos, but usually called Madman Harry. I also have a pigeon body, but I haven't given it a name. You can call it Pigeon."

"I'm around 50. It gets hard to keep track, changing every year. I was made to fight in <insert city name>, and my first memory is MIchael telling me about the situation there. It was rough. The Host was already losing. I was able to help some. Kept some Soldiers from dying, sent a lot of demons to Hell, but not enough."

With a sad smile, Haralambos replies, "In that city, there was a kind lady. Helped out the destitute and homeless and such. She didn't know about the War, but did a lot of good. During the last days of the fighting, before I was killed, the demons decided to take her out to make the place more bad. Some of their zombies and humans showed up, with bombs and guns. I put up shields so she could escape. But she instead got some street kids she was protecting to safety. Sacrificed herself. Michael told me her soul went to Heaven. Maybe I played a part of that, kept her safe so she could sacrifice herself to save those kids, instead of just dying. Knowing she went to Heaven, finding that out. Makes me happy."

Haralambos pauses, with a confused look on his face. "I was made by Michael, and my purpose is to fight evil and help mankind. I... don't really think about what appeals to me. Just my purpose. I wasn't made smart or contemplative, just wise and strong. Is that an okay answer?"

"I haven't really met one. I guess if they're trying to serve God and get better, then we're on the same side. I mean, I know Michael doesn't get along great with some of the other archangels, but we're all on the same side." He pauses and looks a tad embarrassed, realizing he's talking to Dominic's angels. He pauses, then nods with confidence. "If an angel is trying to serve God and the Symphony, then I think they are trying to be good. But lying is so icky. It's hard to imagine an angel willingly doing something that feels so icky to them. They probably need to talk to their Archangel."

He looks obviously uncomfortable at the question, but without hesitation answers honestly. "I don't know. I never met an Outcast, or at least never knew one was one. Can you tell what they are, just looking at them? I think I would tell his Archangel, or at least tell Michael. Let him decide. Would his Archangel already know? I really don't know how being Outcast works."

"It's nice to be able to use my strength for God's purpose. Um, and I like protecting people, like that lady I mentioned. Fighting is fun, too, though it's a bit hard to keep from hurting humans. I like using my muscles and bones to do things. Seeing Creation is pretty. I like birds and butterflies and the sunrise and sunset. Pretty colors. Flying is cool, especially as a pigeon. It's different from moving just as pure Celestial energy. Oh, um, what number did you say to count to? I forgot. Did I list enough?"

"I don't like when people are mean. I don't like it when people lie, though I also don't like it when angels lie, but I've been told there's good reasons to sometimes and just as a Seraph I don't understand it. I don't like demons being around or causing harm. Or mean animals. I'm not really afraid of a mean dog, especially barking -- I find it kind of funny and cute, little critters being brave -- but if it attacked me, I'm not allowed to just run away--I think--but I don't want to hurt an innocent animal. I guess I should ask Michael if that counts as a fight or not... Oh, sorry. I got distracted. Did that answer everything?"

He grows a little solemn."Dying. I didn't like dying, back in that city. I'll die again if I need to, but I didn't like it. Um, number 2. Saving that lady, that I mentioned earlier. And... um... it's hard to say. I try to achieve my purpose. Michael made me to fight for Heaven. Michael telling me that would be a third thing, right?

10. If you had to listen to one mortal song on repeat for a whole day, which would it be? And what style of music do you like the most out of all the human genre’s?
    He smiles a childish grin. "Oh, this is an easy one. I think Bidi Bobbi Boo from Cinderella, the Disney movie. I avoid movies most of the time, since one of the Demon Princes made TV and all, but I was helping out watch some kids for a neighbor back in that city. They had that movie on, and it was just so playful and silly. Not sad like some of the rest of it, with the stepsisters and the father dying, and not confusing like mice talking... I didn't really get why mice talked there but they don't talk in Creation. I think some of the stuff the Fairy Godmother did reminded me of some Songs."

He forgot about the genre question. If asked, he first asks what that word means, then after it's explained, says, "I do not listen to music a lot. I prefer training, running, or flying when I don't have something more important to do. Is music safer than TV? Do you recommend any, um, what was the word--genres?

11. Tell me two moments of your life you regret. One during your time in the Celestial Realm, and one during your time in the Corporeal World. It does not have to be in Los Angeles.
    He looks honesty confused, but as he speaks, he grows a bit sad as he recalls dying, ending with a smile. "I haven't spent much time in the Celestial Realm. It took a few weeks for me to snap out of it after dying. I'm sad that time was wasted there instead of doing good on earth. I regret dying in that city. It was... not nice. But I serve Michael well. I might not be bright enough to always pick the best path, but I'm happy with what I've done."

Haralambos pauses and stutters a bit through his answer, obviously thinking hard about something he hasn't contemplated before. "I don't think about it much. We're supposed to do what we're supposed to do. I wish God was still close to us, but I imagine He's doing something good and right. I don't understand everything Michael does, but I trust him. I'll trust Who made him, too."

Spoiler: Common code for rolls
    Show

Code:
    Generic
    TN: [roll]2d6[/roll] @ 
    Check: [roll]1d6[/roll]

Resonance:
    TN: [roll]2d6[/roll] @ 8

Role
    [roll]2d6[/roll] @9  [roll]1d6[/roll]

Dodging:
    Acrobatics TN 10: [roll]2d6[/roll]
    Dodge TN for intervention: [roll]2d6[/roll] 

Combat:
    Fist/Kick (assuming gloves/boots)
    TN check for intervention: [roll]2d6[/roll]
    Damage: [roll]1d6+3[/roll]

Pigeon Peck/Claw
    TN check for intervention: [roll]2d6[/roll]
    Damage: [roll]1d6+2[/roll]

Sword
    TN 17 check for intervention: [roll]2d6[/roll]
    Damage: [roll]1d6+9[/roll]

The Axe of Egil Skallagrimsson (Corporeal Artifact, no Symphonic disturbance)
    TN 16 check for intervention: [roll]2d6[/roll]
    Damage: [roll]1d6+8[/roll]

Tail
    TN 14 check for intervention: [roll]2d6[/roll]
    Damage: [roll]1d6+5[/roll]

Barbs (from tail)
    TN 17 check for intervention [roll]2d6[/roll]
    Damage: [roll]1d6+6[/roll]

TINK
    Kitty Claws
    Check for Intervention (TN 13) [roll]2d6[/roll]
    Damage: [roll]1d6+3[/roll]

Dodge
    [roll]2d6[/roll] @ 7
    [roll]1d6[/roll]

Spoiler: Resonance Info
    Show

Mercurian
    He prefers the martial angels that also like him, but he feels willing to help most others. He considers most people as friendly acquaintances, but he feels respect and friendship for the stronger, warrior angels (notably van Graff, Jerichial, Solomon). The exceptions to 'friendly acquaintance' are Mercy, who is he weary towards since she's of Novalis and presumably would work against the martial needs of the city, and Dominic's Triad. Haralambos is weary of the Triad, mixed with some respect for the Malakite, confusion about why Cherub is so nice, and a simple dislike of Adewale akin to what almost everyone feels about that mean jerk.

He thinks Adele is fun but hard to understand. He likes Morgannin and hopes to be friends, though he doesn't care for Jordi's attitude about humans.
    He respects the non-martial angels, like Sarah, as doing what their purpose is, though he doesn't think much about it since it's not too related to his purpose of smashing demons.

Lilith
    1: something minor he can do to help people, such as some folk he could give food to, or some jerk he could intimidate into leaving nice people alone
    2: he'd like intel on a demon in town
    3: mental protection during a fight. Or something big like wiping our Rouke's influence or the Ghostbloods.
    4: he's scared of dying again, and would like a spare Vessel and Body Bag. Alternatively, either the death of or strong aid in the death of Baraghur or Garezar.
    5: Something to earn a major boon like an additional Force so he can smash demons better. Or something that would save Hanna.
    6: he'd like to do something to really impress Michael. Although he feels like it's bad pride, part of him hopes to someday earn a Word that embodies childlike innocence amidst smashing demons... he's not sure what Word that could be, though. Or something to save all the Five.

Spoiler: kills
    Show

By Harry or in a fight he helped in.

Prologue: 2 imps of gluttony
    Day 1: Soldier of War, Mr. Lee, Soldier (of Fire? War?), Cao Shen, Justinia, Shax & buddies, several Ghostbloods (mostly hospitalized, Gabriel torched a few dozen)
    Day 2: Bethrezen, Famine's undead,

Promises to Famine: not to kill him as long as he abides by the deal, to try to persuade angels not to kill him as long as he abides by the deal.

Probability curves for 2d6

Demonic intel sheet
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-09-25 at 07:37 AM. Reason: moved character sheet in from the recruitment thread

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be making the first IC post later today. PM me if you have anything you'd like to mention or ask before then.

And go ahead and reserve colors for text if you'd like!

See you soon!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Sarah
    Show
    Corporeal Forces - 3: Strength 6; Agility 6
    Ethereal Forces - 2: Intelligence 4; Precision 4
    Celestial Forces - 4: Will 7; Perception 9

Vessel: Human/2
    Role: 'Sarah Summers', Corporate Negotiator; Level 4, Status 3
    Skills: Dodge/2; Fast-Talk/3; Move Silently/2; Savoir-Faire/2
    Songs: Affinity (Celestial/2); Healing (Corporeal/4, Celestial/1); Motion (Ethereal/1, Celestial/5); Numinous Corpus (Wings/3)
    Attunements: Lilim of Trade
    Rites: Novalis (Dance among humanity)
    Geases: Colby/1; Delivery Child/5; Selena/1; Valarniel/1
    Character Points: 9
    Essence: 1

Background: Rare indeed are the Lilim who side with Heaven. Sarah certainly didn't begin her life as a paragon of virtue. Like all her sisters, she was born on Lucifer's side of the fence. The young Tempter quickly pledged herself to Kobal: Demon Prince of Dark Humour. Things were great at first. She earned tons of easy Essence, just for persuading humans to do what came naturally. But over time, she began to feel that something was...wrong. The thrill of a well-executed temptation became less and less satisfying. Were these mortals really so deserving of such a fate? Most of them were only trying to make their way in the world: Just like her. Did her happiness have to come at their expense? Maybe there was a way to reach the top without leaving a trail of broken souis behind you. This decidedly unconventional thought marked the first step in Sarah's redemption.

These days, Sarah has completely embraced her new role as a 'Bright Lilim'. Marc, the Archangel of Trade, has proven to be a far better Superior than Kobal could ever hope to be. Make no mistake, Sarah is still a daughter of Lilith. She possesses the same warm, fun-loving nature as her Sisters. And like them, she spends most of her time making deals and trading favours: Only now, she does so for the benefit of everyone.

Show

"My true name is <Celestial syllables beyond mortal comprehension>; My other names are both 'Sarah'. I'm a Bright Lilim in service to Archangel Marc."

"I'm 354. My first memory is Mother's face, looking down on me. She helped me stand on my shaky new legs. Then she told me the facts of life. She explained that she was my creator; But not my mistress. She said that I was free to do as I pleased; But that each choice I made had consequences. She told me about deals, value, and the complexities of getting what you truly want. Some of her advice serves me well even today. And some of it was completely, utterly wrong. I hope that Mother eventually realises that too."

"Becoming a harmonious part of the Symphony. Redemption itself was filled with unspeakable agony. But as the pain faded, it was replaced by something wonderful. For the first time, I felt connected to something greater than myself. The Symphony's Truth resonated through every fibre of my being. It overwhelmed me with pure joy. I must have cried for so long. Nothing since has ever come close to that feeling."

"Marc represents all that the Lilim should be. In Hell, we were taught that success is a zero sum game: That our happiness is born from someone else's misery. That's partly why I pledged myself to Kobal. He finds pleasure in the misfortune of others. But Kobal is wrong. My sisters are wrong. Becoming successful doesn't require you to push others off the ladder. The greatest happiness is born when we all reach the top. Marc understands that. He allows the Lilim to truly bloom."

"I think that they're taking a huge risk. The lure of doing whatever you want is so tempting. But believe me, it's not worth the cost. Only emptiness awaits those who lose their place in the Symphony."

"That question is too general for me to answer. Like so many other things in life, It depends on the specifics."

"First is the pulse of humanity. It's a rush to be surrounded by them: Striving, yearning, grasping, dancing! Their energy is truly inspiring.

Second is worldwide communication. Humans keep finding ever more ingenious ways to connect with one another. I've seen things progress from couriers and carrier pigeons, to satellites and fibre optics. The more ways people have to communicate, the easier our job becomes.

Third is the accessories. Not the crass, unethical trash made in sweat shops, mind. I'm talking about the lovingly crafted items you buy from people that really care. Every time I go shopping, I find something new: Like this skirt I'm wearing; Or these earrings; Or this handmade keyring! ...Ahem. Sorry. Greed is a sin, of course. But there's no harm in spending legitimately earned cash on nice things.
    "

"Cruelty, pointless hoarding of wealth, and high heeled shoes."

"We've already been over two of them. The first is the education Mother gave me. The second is my meeting with Karili. And the third? The moment when I first felt sorry for a mortal. Her suffering wasn't even particularly terrible. I just compelled a boy to push her into the mud. Then I sat back and watched her burst into tears. Just a cruel little prank. That is, until I noticed her cradling something in her hands. It was a broken dish. On the fragments, I could still make out a hand-painted image, of a little girl holding hands with a woman. And just like that, the scene stopped being funny. I realised that that girl had made that bowl as a gift for her mother. She must have poured her heart and soul into it. And now all that effort had been destroyed; By me.

That was the beginning of my long climb out of the Pit.
    "

"Erm, what? I don't know. Something by Bach, maybe? If you don't mind my saying, this is a bit of a strange interview question."

"I'd...rather not answer that. Look, you all know my origins. I've done a lot of things I now regret: Things far worse than pushing children into the mud. Those regrets will stay with me forever. Instead, of wallowing in the past, I prefer to build a better future."

"Confused. But then, that's what I'd expect when trying to comprehend the universe's creator. My mind isn't meant to understand God."
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-10-18 at 07:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Character
    Show
    Khalil Dhali, Malakim of Gabriel
    Spoiler: Exact appearance
    Show

Corporeal - 4

• Strength -12
    • Agility - 4

Ethereal - 3

• Intelligence - 6
    • Precision - 6

Celestial - 3

• Will - 6
    • Perception -6

Essence - 10
    Vessel - Level 3, 1 Charisma
    Role - Private Investigator; Level 4, Status 2
    Skills - Tracking-3; Fighting-3; Lock-Picking-1; Fast-Talk-2; Emote-1
    Songs- Form, Corporeal-2; Tongues, Corporeal-1; Fire, Corporeal-2
    Attunements - Malakim of Fire, Ophanim of Fire

2 Character Points

Spoiler: Angelic Name
    Show
    Immanuel, named by Gabriel herself.

Show
    Khalil rubbed his balding head as he made his way to the chair. He did not enjoy being the center of attention, preferring to be the one asking the questions. He went out of his way to make eye contact with the Malakim, Rezzael. He offered a nod, a small gesture, in honor of their shared lineage. Khalil had learned to adopt certain mannerisms relating to his vessel, he sat down slowly and deliberately in the chair, rubbing his knee after sitting and smiling as a gentle old man would.

"Khalil Dali, Malakim of Gabriel, Archangel of Fire, blessed be her name."

"I am 6 years old. I will never forget Gabriel standing over me as my eyes opened for the first time. She was burning brightly and smiling."

"My first."

Khalil scoffed at the question and answered excitedly, "As if this needs explanation! Gabriel is the unyielding flame of justice, the purifier, the burning passion in our souls! Flawless, graceful, whose power personify the roaring cleansing flames of heaven! Where would we be without Gabriel? Truly, in a darker place, do you not agree?"

"Generally speaking, this is a thing my kind has little patience for."

"I would most likely be ordered to cleanse them in holy fire, it'd be for their own good ultimately."

"The seclusion of boiler rooms, dogs, and sushi. I like lemon tea too, and French desserts. Coffee is nice, but with cream and sugar, unless it's Cuban."

"Boy bands, cats, and the consistent and crushing disappointments mankind continuously breaks our hearts with. I'm certain Licorice is an infernal invention as well."

"Hmmm... I am still an infant, lacking in experience, yet to find myself. For now, I am a Malakim of Gabriel, this is my definition and purpose."

"What an odd question. There is no song I would enjoy listening to on repeat for an entire day, such a thing would ruin any enjoyability the song has or will have. I enjoy many genre's of human music, I particularly enjoy Rock and Roll, although I do not particularly dislike any genre."

"I have no regrets in my time in the celestial realm, I'm very young you see. In any event, I don't tend to spend too much time up there. On earth, I once took the Long Island Expressway during rush hour, I'll never do this again. I also once thought that mixing coloreds and whites was no big deal, I paid the price for that mistake."

"Have faith, God is with us."
    Last edited by XIII; 2019-01-21 at 09:09 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Minor nitpick: Gabriel always takes female form these days. Her male form was last seen during the birth of Islam.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I've added the interview to my character sheet. Erulasto has already seen it and commented, so I'm just notifying the rest of you. [EDIT: Actually Erulasto, I went back and edited #10 and #12 somewhat. His answers should be clearer.] I'm working on the description for his celestial form now, after which my sheet will be completely finished.

Here's hoping I can avoid combat one way or another. Jason is a sneeze away from dying and an unredeemed demon with no Heart gets stuck in Limbo for weeks (if not years).
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-03-23 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Minor nitpick: Gabriel always takes female form these days. Her male form was last seen during the birth of Islam.
    When I read the blurb about Gabriel, I understood it as he has taken to a female vessel these days, but in celestial form is male. Or did I misunderstand that?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy Hanna! Sorry for the late post. Today was CRAZY.

Regardless, I got the post up in the IC channel. Consider it an early post for an official Saturday launch. Hehe

I'm looking forward playing with you all. Great concepts, and great writing skills from what I've seen so far.

I'll do my best to keep you entertained!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    When I read the blurb about Gabriel, I understood it as he has taken to a female vessel these days, but in celestial form is male. Or did I misunderstand that?
    Most Angels (Mercurians, and Malakim aside) I don't believe really have what you'd call a physical gender in their celestial form. In all actuality, Angel sexual identity is basically a matter of personal choice. Gabriel used to identify as a man. As a way of rebelling against the tyranny she felt was in Heaven, she swapped to mostly identify as a woman.

It also doesn't help that she's going mad having to share the Word of Fire with Belial. Word Friction is a hugely problematic experience and only the strongest can manage to not get destroyed by it. Belial went absolutely nuts. Gabriel isn't much better.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    Most Angels (Mercurians, and Malakim aside) I don't believe really have what you'd call a physical gender in their celestial form.
    Lilim do too. Sarah's Celestial form looks the same as her corporeal vessel, plus wings and an aura.

But yes, Gabriel prefers female pronouns. Whenever another Celestial talks about modern Gabriel in the books, they always use 'she' and 'her': Even when they're old enough to remember her male form.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hidy-ho folks! Sorry for kinda popping in out of nowhere, I hadn't actually posted in the recruitment thread but if you're wondering whose character Ramiel is, that'd be me. I saw the recruitment thread earlier this week but it seemed like the game was already full, so I PM'd Erulasto about it to see if it was too late to apply. He said he'd think about if he was okay with a 7th, but that I should go ahead and put something together and send it to him. So I did, and here I am now! Kind of forgot to say something in the recruitment thread though while I was getting my character sorted out though, sorry for that.

So, since I didn't post anything about my character in the recruitment thread; I'm playing Ramiel, a Cherub of Michael. His thing is that he's sort of like a guardian angel; He tends to get assigned to protect people his Superior deems important that might need someone tough to back them up at some point. He's been to LA before for other jobs in the past, so he knows most of the angels that've been here for a while, but right now his reason for being in LA is because of the vlogs Thachael left behind. He mentioned Malcolm specifically as one of the humans involved in a prophecy, so now Ramiel's job is to be Malcolm's guardian angel; Keep an eye on him and keep him safe from any demons that come looking for him. Once the other humans involved are discovered, his job will probably expand to keeping them safe too. For now though, he's using a vessel with the role of Student to attend the same school as Malcolm; Best way to keep an eye on someone is to become their friend, after all.

Also, while we're claiming colors, suppose I'll go ahead and use Dark Green for him since both shades of red are already taken.

Spoiler: Ramiel Sheet
    Show
    Name: Ramiel
    Choir: Cherubim
    Archangel: Michael

Current XP: 0

Corporeal Forces: 4
    Strength: 11
    Agility: 5

Ethereal Forces: 2
    Intelligence: 3
    Precision:] 5

Celestial Forces: 3
    Will: 6
    Perception: 6

-----Skills-----
    Detect Lies: 2
    Dodge: 4
    Fighting: 1
    Large Weapons: 3
    Lying: 1
    Move Silently: 2
    Ranged Weapons (Pistols): 3
    Singing: 2

-----Vessels-----
    Name: Samuel Shepherd
    -Rating 2
    -Role: 3
    -Charisma: 0
    -Body: 66

-----Songs-----

Healing
    Corporeal: 6

Numinus Corpus
    Wings: 4

-----Attunements-----

Cherub - Attune to someone or something with a touch, up to (Forces) people/things. Know where attuned people are, their condition, whether they're in danger, etc.

Michael Cherubim - If, barring celestial intervention, someone to whom a Cherub of Michael is attuned will die in the next 24 hours, that angel will feel it in the pit of his stomach.

-----Items-----
    Celestial Battleaxe (Rating 2)
    .44 Revolver
    Fake ID (Age 21)

Spoiler: Combat Statistics
    Show
    Punch: TN 12, Power -2
    Kick: TN 11 (-1 Accuracy), Power -1
    Axe: TN 13 (-1 Accuracy), Power +4
    .44 Revolver: TN 8, Power +3, Range 15, Shots 6

Spoiler: Ramiel Interview
    Show
    Across the table from the triad sat a young man, seemingly around 17 or 18 years old. He had shaggy brown hair that reached his shoulders, wearing a black T-shirt and blue jeans. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, pulling one out before his eyes catch the "No Smoking" sign in the room. The zippo opens with a click, and he lights it anyways, perhaps to the irritation of the seraph leading this interrogation. Sorry, "interview" they called it. Michael told him he had to come here and at least try to play nice, but that didn't mean Ramiel had to like it. God knows Michael certainly didn't like it either.

Ramiel had heard there was a new seraph replacing Osmorael, and honestly he wasn't surprised the newcomer had called him here. Adewale was the new sheriff in town, had to throw his weight around so people knew who the new lawman in town was. His ego wouldn't be satisfied otherwise. Ramiel just happened to be a convenient target for harassment, being a servant of Michael. The hostility between their superiors was no secret, after all. Still, if Adewale was expecting respect, maybe fear if he was feeling sure of himself, he'd be sorely disappointed. Ramiel had no patience to spare for a vain seraph trying to make himself feel large and in charge. If anything, the Malakim he had on standby got more respect from Ramiel than Adewale did. Ramiel was familiar with Rezzael already, though they weren't exactly friends. Theirs was more of a mutual understanding, neither had anything to prove. A Malakim didn't have to prove how tough he was to Michael's angels, and Michael's angels didn't have to prove anything to them either. Rezzael's focus on shinto was still kind of weird to Ramiel, but whatever; Live and let live.

The sound of the door opening and the last member of the triad entering made Ramiel turn around and smile. He answered her apologies with a shake of the head and a "Don't worry about it.", then thanked her for the cookies. Fortisima was probably the only one in the triad that Ramiel would honestly say he liked. He respected Rezzael, but that was different from liking him. And he neither respected or liked Adewale. Fortisima was always kind though; He couldn't help but treat her like the nice old lady her vessel appeared as. Besides, she made some damn good cookies.

Ramiel takes a drag from his cigarette as Adewale turns on the recorder, and the interview finally began.

1.) "Real name's Ramiel. I go by Samuel Shepherd in this vessel. I'm a Cherub, Michael is my Superior."

2.) "Lost count of the actual years, but I came around sometime after Adam and Eve were kicked out of Eden, but before Lucifer started his rebellion. First memory...One big, loud crack that everyone in Heaven heard at the time. I've been told that was Him chastising Lucifer for what he did in the Garden. Needless to say, He wasn't happy."

3.) "What is this, a therapy session?" Ramiel grumbles, taking another long drag from his cigarette before blowing the smoke up in the air. "Whatever. Fondest memory...Think that'd be good ol' William Kidman, young kid who got drafted back in World War II. I got assigned to be his guardian angel, pulled him out of the fire more than a couple times. The big one though was D-Day; Both of us were sent to storm the beaches of Normandy. I had a gut feeling Kidman wouldn't survive it if I didn't watch his back, sure enough he would have taken a bullet to the head if I didn't take it for him. Lost my vessel for it, but the kid finally grew some balls after that. Got himself a medal for bravery by the time the war ended, went back home and started a family. Lived till he was 76, then I pulled some strings and got to be the one who guided him to Heaven." Ramiel smiles as he recalls it. "Should have seen the shock on his face when I told him who I was. I still stop by to see him whenever I'm in Heaven."

4.) "He gets **** done. Oops, sorry." He apologizes to Fortisima. "He gets stuff done, you know why? Cause he's the strongest one out of us all. Pretty much all of us that fight in The War have wanted to be like him at some point, and for good reason. I was there when he cast Lucifer out of Heaven, and let me tell you; I don't think I'll ever see a fight quite like it ever again. Not until Gabriel sounds her horn, at least. Younger angels who didn't see it don't understand just how important he is to The War, but there's a reason why He made him the archangel of War. And a good reason why He pardoned him." Ramiel takes a drag of his cigarette, looking Adewale in the eyes with that last sentence. He wasn't dumb enough to outright insult Dominic, especially not in front of three of his servants. But his words were very clearly meant to be a jab at Dominic's trial of Michael.

5.) "What is there to say? You keep an eye on them, just to be safe, and if it gets too bad you either send them back to Heaven while they get themselves sorted out, or if they fall you put them down. That's obvious."

6.) "Why are you even asking me this? Yes, if he's outcast and I find him causing trouble or hanging around somewhere where he shouldn't be, obviously I'd turn him in. What are you trying to imply asking me something like that?" He answers irritably. Should the seraph use his resonance, he'd find Ramiel's words are true.

7.) "Pizza, beer, and just humans in general. Spend a few years as a guardian angel, you'll start to really like them. Not all of them are great, but the good ones make dealing with all the bad ones worth it."

8.) "Traffic, TV ads, and math tests. That last one's a new discovery, no wonder human kids hate school."

9.) "Again, am I here for an interrogation or therapy?" Ramiel's voice betrays a rising irritation, rolling his eyes as exhales smoke. "Whatever, three moments? The start of The War, getting assigned to earth by Michael, and D-Day. First and second are obvious, third was from the story I told you about already."

10.) Ramiel stops himself mid-drag, and gives the seraph a look that practically screams 'That's a stupid question'. "You wanna know something? I had to tell my charge I'm home sick today, because you called me in for this. That school he's going to has a reputation for all kinds of shi-, sorry, 'bad stuff', and to top it all off there's a good chance there's demons keeping an eye on him too. The fact I'm here means I'm not there, doing my job. And you're here asking me stuff like 'what's your favorite band'." He takes another puff of his cigarette, and crosses his arms as he glares back at Adewale, who by this point must have been getting tired of his bad attitude. "And my answer is old school rock. Smokin' would be my song, love me some Boston."

11.) 'This interview' was the first answer to come to Ramiel's mind, but he decided against saying it in the interest of not pushing things farther than he already did. "Here on Earth? Vietnam. Had a charge who wanted to burn his draft ticket and run to Canada. I stopped him from doing that, in hindsight I probably should have let him. That whole thing was a bad time. Back in Heaven? There was an older angel back before The Fall, Zeruel. He was kind of like my mentor, back when I was a fresh-faced Cherub and needed someone to show me the ropes. He ended up on the wrong side of The War. I don't know if he survived the battle in Heaven or not, but it still eats me I didn't see the warning signs. Maybe I could have talked sense into him if I did. If I find out he survived though, I'll put him down myself."

12.) This question gives Ramiel pause. After a moment of thought, he puts his cigarette out on the metal table, leaning forward and looking Adewale in the eyes as he answers. "What do I think? I think that word you used right there is part of the problem. 'Abandoned', I hate when anyone says He 'abandoned' us. Let me ask you something. What's the difference between us and the humans? Humans don't pretend they're perfect. Maybe this might ruffle some people's feathers to say, but we're not perfect either. Not me, not you, not any of us. The fact that The Fall could happen is proof of that. Now what happened when Adam and Eve ate that apple? He had them removed from Eden. What happened when The Fall happened? God became a lot less available for us. What does that tell you, huh? I don't think He distanced himself from us, I think we distanced Him with our own flaws. And after we've finished dealing with the demons, I think we're all gonna have to take a long, hard look at ourselves before we can get close to Him again."

"Now are we done here? Cause I've got a job I need to get back to."
    Last edited by Siegemonkeys; 2018-04-12 at 09:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Oh my goodness! I looked away for a few days and the IC started! I’ll be posting today. Looking forward to greeting everyone.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

XIII: It'd probably be a good idea to list Khalil's Malakite oaths on your sheet. The GM at least will need to know them.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

What is the status quo (at least for militant angels) on killing imps, Soldiers of Hell, undead, etc.?
    I assume we don't do stuff like killing off known demons (like Mr. Lee) out of a mix of fear the fight could go bad, not wanting to escalate the 'cold war' that's been in LA, and not wanting to drive someone who has been somewhat neutral to being more active. Is that right? Thus, it'd be poor form for Haralambos to ambush & kill Lee without approval of at least the more militant angels (like the guy running the Howlitzer and the police dude. It will take a while for me to remember the angels' names.)

XIII: It'd probably be a good idea to list Khalil's Malakite oaths on your sheet. The GM at least will need to know them.
    It could also be handy for us to know them out-of-character, so we can more easily RP stuff in-character to not try to make you violate something.
    For example, I can understand a fellow player being ticked at me not having my character lie, if they didn't know such was forbidden for seraphs.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    It could also be handy for us to know them out-of-character, so we can more easily RP stuff in-character to not try to make you violate something.
    For example, I can understand a fellow player being ticked at me not having my character lie, if they didn't know such was forbidden for seraphs.

Sorry, it didn't dawn on me to list them since I hadn't seen anyone else do it. I'll get those to the GM pronto.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, it didn't dawn on me to list them since I hadn't seen anyone else do it. I'll get those to the GM pronto.
    The Oath thing is pretty much exclusive to the Malakim.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Resonance roll to feel Adele's Need to drive the car {TN 7: Perception 9, -2 for a specific obvious Need}: (3d6)[3][6][1](10)

Ignore this if Adele is nice enough to just give Sarah a Geas in advance. Any Celestial can choose to do that, if they're so inclined.

This also seems like a good time to address a weird rule I've been wondering about. Normally, the level of Geas that a Lilim gets is determined by the check digit. When they roll a 2, they sense a Need that (if fulfilled) will give them a level 2 Geas. So far so good. However, Lilim can also try what Sarah is doing now: Sense a specific Need that interests them. Here's the weird bit: Even when you're targeting a specific Need, the Geas level is still determined by the check digit! The book handwaves this by saying that 'some people will be more grateful than others'. But that doesn't really make sense. Buying someone a chocolate bar shouldn't have the potential to count as a level 6 Geas! It seems like whoever wrote that rule didn't really think it through.

So instead, can we say that the GM decides the worth of a specifically targeted Need? As in 'you successfully sense Adele's desire to drive your car. That's a level X Need'. That seems much fairer.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The Oath thing is pretty much exclusive to the Malakim.
    Every time I think I have a handle on things, there is so much more to learn. I'll get those fleshed out asap. Thanks to everyone for being helpful and patient with me.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Every time I think I have a handle on things, there is so much more to learn. I'll get those fleshed out asap. Thanks to everyone for being helpful and patient with me.
    It's all good. For a system that is so simple looking on the surface, it can get quite nuanced.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Resonance roll to feel Adele's Need to drive the car {TN 7: Perception 9, -2 for a specific obvious Need}: [roll0]

Ignore this if Adele is nice enough to just give Sarah a Geas in advance. Any Celestial can choose to do that, if they're so inclined.

This also seems like a good time to address a weird rule I've been wondering about. Normally, the level of Geas that a Lilim gets is determined by the check digit. When they roll a 2, they sense a Need that (if fulfilled) will give them a level 2 Geas. So far so good. However, Lilim can also try what Sarah is doing now: Sense a specific Need that interests them. Here's the weird bit: Even when you're targeting a specific Need, the Geas level is still determined by the check digit! The book handwaves this by saying that 'some people will be more grateful than others'. But that doesn't really make sense. Buying someone a chocolate bar shouldn't have the potential to count as a level 6 Geas! It seems like whoever wrote that rule didn't really think it through.

So instead, can we say that the GM decides the worth of a specifically targeted Need? As in 'you successfully sense Adele's desire to drive your car. That's a level X Need'. That seems much fairer.
    I'm in agreement with your assessment of Geases and the appropriate level, considering that I don't care how much I like tacos....you couldn't get a Geas/6 from buying me a couple of cheesy gordita crunches from Taco Bell.

In this particular case, Adele is actually offering up a favor to Sarah as...incentive. Adele trusts Sarah, so she doesn't really see it as all that bad in this particular case.

Plus, she really wants to drive that car.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

In this particular case, Adele is actually offering up a favor to Sarah as...incentive. Adele trusts Sarah, so she doesn't really see it as all that bad in this particular case.
    Well, Sarah's Resonance roll failed. So she doesn't automatically get a Geas for this favour. Is Adele actually giving her one anyway? Sarah herself doesn't care. Bright Lilim trust their friends' promises, whether or not they're supernaturally compelled. But I (the player) need to keep track of Geases (or the lack thereof) on my sheet.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Sarah's Resonance roll failed. So she doesn't automatically get a Geas for this favour. Is Adele actually giving her one anyway? Sarah herself doesn't care. Bright Lilim trust their friends' promises, whether or not they're supernaturally compelled. But I (the player) need to keep track of Geases (or the lack thereof) on my sheet.
    In this case, let's say that she doesn't actually get a Geas off it. But she's sure Adele will make sure she shows how thankful she is.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming I myself am understanding this correctly, I think two of the four are already spelled out for you on page 101 of the core rulebook:
    1. I will never suffer an evil to live when it is my choice.
    2. I will never surrender in a fight, nor allow myself to be captured by the armies of Lucifer.

It... doesn't really seem to give you any guidelines about what makes a good oath, unless I've missed that somewhere. I would guess it has something to do with your choice of Superior, though.

EDIT: Or do all Malakim have to pick four more personal oaths in addition to the two they all automatically have?
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-03-25 at 10:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Failed Phantasm View Post
    Assuming I myself am understanding this correctly, I think two of the four are already spelled out for you on page 101 of the core rulebook:
    1. I will never suffer an evil to live when it is my choice.
    2. I will never surrender in a fight, nor allow myself to be captured by the armies of Lucifer.

It... doesn't really seem to give you any guidelines about what makes a good oath, unless I've missed that somewhere. I would guess it has something to do with your choice of Superior, though.
    The other two can be just about anything so long as they tie in with the Angel's personal code of honor. These Oaths make up the essence of a Malakim's honor.

For example, an angel who follows the ideals of Chivalry, or somesuch may adopt Oaths like...."Never attacking from behind" or "Never attack as a coward from a distance", or even "Never attack an unarmed foe".
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-03-25 at 10:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

The expanded write-up for each Archangel gives some examples. Here are the ones for Gabriel:

Quote Originally Posted by Oaths of Fire
    ✠ I will encourage passion wherever I find it.
    ✠ I will protect any bearer of inspiration.
    ✠ I will never let any sanctified flame be quenched.
    ✠ I will protect prophecies and sacred scriptures.
    ✠ I will purify or quench any flame that is used for
    evil purposes.
    ✠ I will bring inspiration to those who despair.
    ✠ I will heal those who have suffered from cruelty.
    ✠ I will protect any love born of passion.
    ✠ I will bear witness to any cruelty committed by others.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-03-25 at 10:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Malchiel, Elohim of Eli
    Essence 9
    Experience 3

Corporeal 2 (Strength 3, Agility 5)
    Ethereal 4 (Intelligence 10, Precision 6)
    Celestial 3 (Willpower 7, Perception 5)

Vessels: Human/2 ("Mel Angell" - Body 12)
    Skills: Tactics/2, Savoir-Faire/2, Chemistry/3, Knowledge (History)/3, English/6
    Artifacts: Compass of Attunement/2
    Songs: Ethereal Song of Charm/2, Ethereal Song of Harmony/2, Corporeal Song of Numinous Corpus (Wings)/2, Song of Thunder/2, Ethereal Song of Tongues/2
    Attunements: Transubstantiation, Creation of Relics and Reliquaries

For voice color, it doesn't look like navy has been taken yet.

Spoiler
    Show

"Malchiel. Elohim. Eli."

"I'm somewhere over 920, I think. I was created in the first year of the First Crusade. The earliest thing I can remember was the capture of Antioch. I remember watching the joyful way the knights and other angels celebrated."

"I often recall conversations with a Mister Lewis in 1919, 1920 or so, with a group of friends. He returned to the the Anglican church that year. It was after Eli left on his sojourn, and it was gratifying to have a positive impact on a man's destiny before I returned to Heaven for an extended period."

"Appeals? I serve as I have always served. I have been with Eli for the entirety of my creation. He did not see fit to loan me to another Superior during his leave of absence, so I still serve."

"They are in need of counsel and reconciliation before they become lost to us."

"I would help them to reconcile as quickly as possible, and use every means at my disposal to achieve that aim."

"I think you mistake me for members of the Host who indulge in such emotions; I have no need nor desire to make such distinctions. The Corporeal World is what mankind makes of it. There are places and instances of joy and love, where peace and hope reign -- the best of man's efforts. These can happen in the 'darkest' of places, to and by the seediest of mortals. No list can contain the multitude of joys, as each deserves mention."

"Unfortunately, the world is also filled with sorrow and hate, conflict and desperation. In too many places, this is the color of mortal life, where mere survival is the only concern and God does not touch. Why would I belittle the plight of those in great need by ordering moments and places of greatest need? Each need is just as urgent, just as important, as the other. That is why we fight this War."

sigh "These lists serve no purpose, but I will indulge you.

One would be the sacrifice of Rafael. It was that moment that cemented my support for Christ and his Word and Way. Another would be the entirety of the 14th Century in France, where the French kings wielded undue influence over the church and damaged the Papacy; this made me realize that shepherding the Christian movement will be a constant and consuming task. The third, of course, is Eli's departure from the War. I will not elaborate further.
    "

"I remember Donato being quite good -- he did excellent work with polyphony in the 16th Century."

"I do not fee regret. Regret leads to dissonance, which leads to discord, which leads to the fall. Not all activities in which I was involved were successful, and in each case I would have preferred success, but regret is not something I have ever experienced. The most recent failure regarded a good young man named John who was tormented by two infernals -- I did everything in my power to protect him and halt their corruption of his soul, but I was unsuccessful, and he committed a fateful act."

"Has He abandoned us? At one time, I may have agreed with the prevailing assumption, but the departure of my Superior, Eli, has given me cause to reconsider my acquiescence to such a narrative. God is entirely unknowable, a mystery even unto His Host. We are his messengers, and we have the plans He has given us.

We also have his Word, from which we understand much; we have his Son, who remains very active in the world; we have his Spirit, through which he speaks to humanity directly, if they would just stop and listen. Just because God allows us angels the opportunity to do our work unfettered by constant interference doesn't mean He has abandoned Creation or his beloved children.
    "
    Last edited by seatyger; 2018-04-02 at 04:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Today, on "JATHIRIEL'S ONGOING FREAKOUT…" Seriously, feel free to stop me if you think I'm overdoing it.

Also, an interesting little formatting trick occurred to me while writing this post. Since Balseraphs lie to, and about, themselves as much as others, I thought I would indicate that in my narration with strikethrough in the form of truth (self-)deception, like so:
    for a celestial of his emotional ineptitude self-control

EDIT: I'll try to use it extremely sparingly, since I realize too much strikethrough is annoying to read.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-03-26 at 10:13 PM.