The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

A cello case would definitely work. I'm sure we could come up with all sorts of creative conceal carry ideas. Maybe we can salvage, repair, and bless (like, a lot) that bike Harry just threw. Install/attach a slick scabbard onto it. I wonder if Khalil can sing and run at the same time??....
    Last edited by XIII; 2018-05-10 at 05:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    I wonder if Khalil can sing and run at the same time??....
    Nope. He only knows the Song at level 1.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Nope. He only knows the Song at level 1.
    I thought level 1 only meant you had to do vocalization and hand-movements at the same time (i.e., vocal & somatic components, to use D&D parlance), not that you couldn't do other things as well? (At least, per the main rulebook. I could see others or errata clarifying.)
    I'm away from book at the moment, so my apologies if it did say you have to stand still while doing those things at rank 1.

Also, I have a fever. Hoping it passes, but if I wind up checking less tomorrow & this weekend, that is likely the cause. But I think I did the rolls for the next round of combat, so hoping that goes smoothly without me as attentive.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-10 at 09:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I thought level 1 only meant you had to do vocalization and hand-movements at the same time (i.e., vocal & somatic components, to use D&D parlance), not that you couldn't do other things as well? (At least, per the main rulebook. I could see others or errata clarifying.)
    I'm away from book at the moment, so my apologies if it did say you have to stand still while doing those things at rank 1.
    In order to physically act and sing simultaneously, you have to be skilled enough to forgo gestures: I.E, level 2+. Also, the vast majority of these actions are forbidden in combat anyway. Running down a peaceful path is fine; But running with a leg wound amid hails of bullets isn't.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to do the post for Khalil and Harry tomorrow morning. I've got most of it prepped and ready to go, but I'm writing this up on my cell phone as I sit at one of my daughter's late-night extra dance rehearsals for their year end recital and the stupid dice script doesn't work on the mobile version.

My apologies for the delay, gentlemen.

Also, I really hope you feel better soon Jeen!
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Servants of Belial gain dissonance from being "burned by their own flames" (literally and figuratively), which would include schemes. The vest being something he devised as a protective measure against us during the meeting being used to kill him and other demons would count in my opinion. I wouldn't say his barbed words caused Khalil to follow him, but rather the atrocity he committed compelled Khalil to act immediately by following him. I had honestly hoped this was going to be intel only mission, but here we are. As a servant of Gabriel, this would bring Khalil sweet bliss. Hell, I can gain essence from burning them <3.

Khalil tends to rely on his instincts and forget about his resonance. Totally not a case of the player forgetting.

I had planned on armoring up depending on how many were left after the motorcycle bombing, but I don't wanna seem like I'm meta-gaming here after taking a shot.

Speaking of which, it was decided that form would have a physical manifestation, like skin changing texture or color? I will post today, planning on singing form and charging in while yelling warnings at Harry about the dead-man switch.

Another note: Shout out to Erulasto for his hilarious scene titles! Big Trouble in Little... Lakewood! This War Ain't So Cold Anymore (Get it? Because Im'a burn some heretics here in a second). Burdens of a White Collar Angel. Hahahahaha!!!
    You can go ahead and apply the armor as normal. Next time we'll catch it beforehand, but it's only your first bit of damage and this wont be the toughest fight you and Harry have to take part in before it's all said and done.

I'll let you decide what the physical description is of your armor. Have fun!

Also, thanks on the kudos for the titles. I have a lot of fun coming up with them.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Roll for Khalil Dodge. Forgot in the IC channel.

(2d6)[4][5](9)
    (1d6)[3]

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

@Jeen: I've got parts of a response to you done up, but I'm going to wait a bit to post it so I can adjust it according to Khalil's actions.

Thanks for the patience.

Also hope you're feeling even a bit better!

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

I believe it's just 1 armor from the song.
    2 Armour. Your skill level (1) + plus the amount of Essence spent in the performance (1).

I'm unsure if I need damage rolls or what they are for unarmed. I think it's -1 accuracy and +1 fire damage?
    Damage is determined by your Power and the check digit. A punch has Power -3. Your flames have Power +3, Accuracy -1. Your (Strength + Corporeal Forces + Fighting - Accuracy) is 18: Which gives you an extra +6 Power. So in total, your attacks do (check digit + 6) damage.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

2 Armour. Your skill level (1) + plus the amount of Essence spent in the performance (1).

Damage is determined by your Power and the check digit. A punch has Power -3. Your flames have Power +3, Accuracy -1. Your (Strength + Corporeal Forces + Fighting - Accuracy) is 18: Which gives you an extra +6 Power. So in total, your attacks do (check digit + 6) damage.

Thank you! I understand much better now. I honestly didn't want this turning into a brawl, but the opportunity was too great and potentially hilarious to pass up.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you! I understand much better now. I honestly didn't want this turning into a brawl, but the opportunity was too great and potentially hilarious to pass up.
    You made mention in your IC post about rolling preferences. I'm flexible. You do you, right? Heh If you roll all three at the same time, I'll always assume the last die rolled is the Check Digit. Just so we're on the same page there.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

I assumed thats how you were doing it. Perfect.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

On a humorous note, I completely thought you wanted this to turn into a brawl, assuming the motorcycle-vest didn't explode all the demons. Works on both IC and OOC level of misunderstanding. Harry definitely thought that was Khalil's intention, too.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean I didn't expect the all-out brawl. I really wanted to collect intel. Then I decided I really wanted to blow them all up. With the potential of him blowing up in their faces, I couldn't at all resist. I wanted to avoid making too much noise then having to stick around like we are now. I'm worried about reinforcements on their part or potentially involving humans needlessly. Do I regret the decisions made so far? Absolutely not, this is gold. I will never forget the motorcycle pigeon bombing, we will have to utilize this tactic in the future as well. We'll have to write this one in the 'Hilarious/Deadly Ways to Mess with Demons' By Krazy Khalil and Madman Harry. I'm pretty concerned about turtleneck, by the way.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, turtleneck is probably a big deal.
    Also, as far as we know, he's still there watching us. I forget the rules -- Anyr or Erulasto, fill us in? also, Erulasto, did Khalil at least get a chance to see what the celestial form looked like? -- but I think it's a Perception check to notice a celestial in celestial form. However, the fact that he hasn't been blasting us with Songs during the fight is probably a good sign. It'd be annoying to have to deal with 2 corporeal foes plus a celestial 'spellcaster' we can't target. On the other hand, he may have flown away immediately after going celestial and just stayed away, willing to let his lapdog Calabim handle whatever's up.

OOC, I'm hoping this all-in-all helps the angels in town. We did not heed Cao Shen's warning, but if we kill him, there's less demons around to do stuff like bomb Mercy's shop. I am worried that Hanna's going to be missing when Harry checks on her.

I think we should try to grab that dagger. It's (I assume) not something angels should use, but obtaining it to get it moved to Heaven so it stays out of demon hands seems wise. I also hope that the bomb blast doesn't destroy both the demons' vessels, so we can destroy their Role as well. I reckon Cao Shen will be so blasted that he'll be able to reassume his Role, but maybe we can grab the female demon's body or head so the cops can ID her as dead.

If timing works out so I can, I plan on Harry using Song of Shields to try to deflect the explosion away from the apartment building. Yeah, the pizza parlor is probably going to be junked, but there's been a loud gunfight behind its back door, so I reckon most employees have run away. But I can see the fun of RPing Harry being distraught at causing the deaths of bystanders, if it goes that way.

...human death is an interesting thing in this setting. Since most humans reincarnate, it's not like it's super bad if they die. As an angel, it's considered unfortunate, regretable, and something to be avoided, but from a purely intellectual point (which isn't Harry's; this is me OOC) it seems like a positive move in the War is worth a few human deaths. I reckon that's in line with Michael's attitude as Word of War, maybe David's and Gabriel's (I can see Laurence as too honorbound to think that way).

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, turtleneck is probably a big deal.
    Also, as far as we know, he's still there watching us. I forget the rules -- Anyr or Erulasto, fill us in? also, Erulasto, did Khalil at least get a chance to see what the celestial form looked like? -- but I think it's a Perception check to notice a celestial in celestial form.
    You do indeed need a Perception check. It gets a bonus equal to the target's Celestial Forces.

...human death is an interesting thing in this setting. Since most humans reincarnate, it's not like it's super bad if they die. As an angel, it's considered unfortunate, regretable, and something to be avoided, but from a purely intellectual point (which isn't Harry's; this is me OOC) it seems like a positive move in the War is worth a few human deaths. I reckon that's in line with Michael's attitude as Word of War, maybe David's and Gabriel's (I can see Laurence as too honorbound to think that way).
    Some Angels do think this way. However, there are a few notable flaws in the approach:

a) It risks accidentally giving souls to Hell. Destiny and Fate respond badly to the ham-fisted approach. Every time a Celestial kills a human, they're gambling with that human's eternal future. Unnaturally ending someone's life before the proper time can easily seal their Fate.

b) Even when a human soul avoids both Heaven and Hell, they don't always reincarnate either. Some of them vanish forever. Their component Forces break apart, and return to the Symphony. You can't just take for granted that they'll get another chance. Sometimes the chance you take from them turns out to be their last.

c) Killing humans disrupts the Symphony. This has consequences far beyond just attracting attention. The Symphony is everything. You think that the ripple you created is gone now? Wrong. It's still there. It's still creating a cascade of disruptions in God's design. That human you killed wasn't supposed to die. And because they're dead, a lot of events will play out differently. Angels on Earth who make a habit of being 'noisy' don't tend to remain on Earth for long. Even a successful mission can result in punishment instead of reward, if its success cost the Symphony too much.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Some Angels do think this way. However, there are a few notable flaws in the approach:

a) It risks accidentally giving souls to Hell. Destiny and Fate respond badly to the ham-fisted approach. Every time a Celestial kills a human, they're gambling with that human's eternal future. Unnaturally ending someone's life before the proper time can easily seal their Fate.

b) Even when a human soul avoids both Heaven and Hell, they don't always reincarnate either. Some of them vanish forever. Their component Forces break apart, and return to the Symphony. You can't just take for granted that they'll get another chance. Sometimes the chance you take from them turns out to be their last.
    I didn't know A was the case; that is significant. B also, though less so.

c) Killing humans disrupts the Symphony. This has consequences far beyond just attracting attention. The Symphony is everything. You think that the ripple you created is gone now? Wrong. It's still there. It's still creating a cascade of disruptions in God's design. That human you killed wasn't supposed to die. And because they're dead, a lot of events will play out differently. Angels on Earth who make a habit of being 'noisy' don't tend to remain on Earth for long. Even a successful mission can result in punishment instead of reward, if its success cost the Symphony too much.
    I think this is the main metaphysical thing I don't understand about the setting: what exactly the Symphony is. Could too much disruption, in theory (that is, angels aren't sure, but maybe), destroy Creation? I reckon just going far enough away from God's plans is considered bad by most angels, too. And I guess demons have some reason to want Creation to be maintained, if only to have a place for their Selfishness to dominate and human souls to feed on.
    For this campaign: is part of the reasons so many angels were concerned about humans hearing the Symphony that hearing could lead to influencing, meaning that there's a fear all the billions of humans might disrupt the Symphony instead of being part of it?

On another note: do Soldiers always go to Heaven/Hell, or do they still need to secure their Fate or Destiny? Can a Soldier of Hell (or even a sentient undead) so 'renegade' and be redeemed, and, likewise, can a Soldier of Heaven fall?
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-14 at 01:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

I think this is the main metaphysical thing I don't understand about the setting: what exactly the Symphony is. Could too much disruption, in theory (that is, angels aren't sure, but maybe), destroy Creation? I reckon just going far enough away from God's plans is considered bad by most angels, too. And I guess demons have some reason to want Creation to be maintained, if only to have a place for their Selfishness to dominate and human souls to feed on.
    For this campaign: is part of the reasons so many angels were concerned about humans hearing the Symphony that hearing could lead to influencing, meaning that there's a fear all the billions of humans might disrupt the Symphony instead of being part of it?

On another note: do Soldiers always go to Heaven/Hell, or do they still need to secure their Fate or Destiny? Can a Soldier of Hell (or even a sentient undead) so 'renegade' and be redeemed, and, likewise, can a Soldier of Heaven fall?

Think of every single thing in the Corporeal world, from the ant to the thunderstorm, the car to the oil tanker in the Black Sea, as being a single musical note. When you put it all together and let it function the way it's supposed to? That's the Symphony. It's like the perfect song. If too many instruments begin playing the wrong note - or notes no longer play because they're removed from the Symphony - then the whole thing becomes something a little...less. It's a pretty abstract concept.

I think the general idea is that since it's already perfect, the onus is to watch how many imperfections you put into it.

Since God told the Angels not to interfere with Creation in the early days, and He is gone now: it stands to reason that no one, even the Seraphim Council, really knows what will happen to the Symphony if it becomes too discordant. I think it's generally agree'd upon that, like a discordant angel, too many sour notes in the Symphony is a bad thing.

Also, IC post is almost done and will be up in a bit.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Falling and Redemption are Celestial concepts. They don’t apply to humans. Soldiers have just as much free will as the rest of humanity. They’re not guaranteed a place in Heaven or Hell when they die. That said, being a faithful Soldier does vastly increase the chances of reaching your preferred afterlife.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto, IC
    I took a look at the Corporeal Song of Shields, and it certainly would be able to mitigate a great majority of the explosion from damaging the apartment - but I don't think it'd be big enough to protect the whole thing. Based on my math, even at minimum damage the explosion would be about 16 yards in diameter. So, be my guest Jeen and manifest that Song. You'll save a lot of people and property damage with it, but it wont be a perfect solution. Good thinking though!
    Question of clarification: if Harry were willing to sacrifice himself by casting the Song centered on himself & Zharg's body, that would contain the explosion perfectly, right? As I understood Shields, it fully stopped the equivalent to all forces, so it'd contain the explosion completely.
    I'm not doing that, since Trauma + losing Vessel is really bad, but wanted to check.
    In case it doesn't come across clearly IC, what I'm trying to do is create a Shield that'll fully shield Khalil, Harry, the demoness, and as much of the apartment complex as possible. Shielding the demoness is the lowest priority, though.
    Also, as at rank 4 Harry doesn't need vocal components, he's yelling a warning. (I'm assuming an animal vessel can do gestures as well as a human one. Not really fair to Jordi otherwise.)

EDIT from after IC post: yay, made the roll. Regretting putting all the extra essence into it, but, well, still made sense.
    Also, XIII, if I was able to shield your foe, you still get credit for that kill ^_^ And a demonic knife to present to Gabriel.
    Rites are just 1/day, so I don't get an extra essence for dueling Cao Shen, right?

Lastly, I realize I never posted my decision about keeping Song of Healing or going with a Servant. I'll go with the Servant.

EDIT EDIT: this is just a few minutes after my initial posting, but I realized something I think should work... and I weren't so enthuastically rushed in posting, I probably would have realized this. I'll leave my original post in a spoiler in case you want to keep it, but this should be... more dramatic, if harder to explain in the mundane world.
    Being able to fly 90 yards/round is... helpful.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-14 at 04:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

So (3*4)=12 foot radius Sphere or instant death?
    No, 4 feet. Essence spent to improve your roll doesn’t count as ‘Essence spent on the performance’.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Quick update: My keyboard broke today. And the method I’m using to type now isn’t suited for long IC posts full of tags. So my next post will probably be tomorrow, when the new keyboard arrives.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

No, 4 feet. Essence spent to improve your roll doesn’t count as ‘Essence spent on the performance’.
    Huh.
    Can you spend bonus essence to increase the efficacy of a Song? That is, if desired, I could have spent 5 Essence (1 to cast, 2 to boost its power, and 2 to raise TN)?
    At least, is Erulasto accepts my edit of hurling Cao Shen into the air, a 4 foot radius should still be enough to deflect a good bit of the downward blast.

Sorry to hear about your keyboard.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Huh.
    Can you spend bonus essence to increase the efficacy of a Song? That is, if desired, I could have spent 5 Essence (1 to cast, 2 to boost its power, and 2 to raise TN)?
    That’s right.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Thanks, Anyr. I appreciate your knowledge of the game mechanics.

I was re-reading Michael's attunement of Howl, and it seems just broken if 2+ angels are fighting as a team. Like, Michaelite Howls and stuns all nearby foes, and the other angel punches them. Repeat until everyone is KOed/dead. I know there's a range to the Howl, but still powerful. Is it correct that there's no way to resist, no essence cost, and no limit/day?
    (Even if that is the RAW, I would expect most DMs would make a ruling if PCs starting doing that. Just checking RAW here.)

Also, it actually takes a few more hits to kill someone after they KO, than we've been doing, right?
    I'm not complaining about the game thus far, and I think it's cinematically appropriate that Harry didn't have to punch Lee a few extra times to really kill him after he fell unconscious, but I could see, in the future, us wanting to take an enemy demon captive for interrogation. (Probably not Harry, as focused on the War and not caring for thought-out plans as he is, but some others.) Since demons can't assume celestial form in a angelic tether, locking them up in the Howlitzer or van Graff's jail should do the trick. Just have an angel guard nearby to punch them back into KO range if they try something.
    I also ask because, if one of us was almost killed, I'd like the opportunity for an ally to save us. Of course, that does mean we'd need to confirm enemies are really dead, too.

Honestly, OOC I'd really like us to take that demoness captive at least to find out who she is and who she serves... but I don't think that makes sense IC.
    Could a Malakim take a demon captive, at long as they intend to kill them later, without breaking his vow and getting dissonance?

Cao Shen probably got 2 points of dissonance: one for being burned, and one for his Resonance failing and he not dispersing it (since he died before he could). Or maybe 3, if you count the metaphorical burning as 1 point and the literal suicide-vest as another point. I realize that's not necessarily bad for a Calabim, but feels nice. I hope Belial is ticked off with him.

Oh, and Perception roll in case that turtleneck guy is watching
    (2d6)[6] @ 8 + turtleneck's Celestial Forces
    (1d6)[3]

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Folks, I'm having a difficult time keeping up (and having the motivation to post); I don't think it's fair to you all for me to continue to lag behind and hold up essential plot points. My apologies, but I'm going to drop out.

Eru, thanks for giving me the opportunity to play.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by seatyger View Post
    Folks, I'm having a difficult time keeping up (and having the motivation to post); I don't think it's fair to you all for me to continue to lag behind and hold up essential plot points. My apologies, but I'm going to drop out.

Eru, thanks for giving me the opportunity to play.
    I'm sorry to see you go, Seaty, but I understand entirely.
    I hope you enjoyed your experience with In Nomine, and my game. I'd love to have a chance to play alongside you again one day.

Best of luck!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick update: My keyboard broke today. And the method I’m using to type now isn’t suited for long IC posts full of tags. So my next post will probably be tomorrow, when the new keyboard arrives.
    All good!

We'll be winding down this portion of the game around the time when Sarah finishes her meeting with Inanna, and the aftermath of Harry and Khalil fight.
    That should bring us all to about 3:30pm. Also, conveniently, when Ramiel finished up with Classes for the day.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeen, I'll touch in the rest of your questions in a few hours once I'm out of the dentist and not posting on my phone anymore.

But for now? Yes. A Malakim absolutely could take a prisoner for interrogation. As some of the fluff says in the book, however: if you see a Malakim tell a demon he can live if he gives up his pals, you've just seen a Malakim lie to the poor demon.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    All good!

We'll be winding down this portion of the game around the time when Sarah finishes her meeting with Inanna, and the aftermath of Harry and Khalil fight.
    That should bring us all to about 3:30pm. Also, conveniently, when Ramiel finished up with Classes for the day.
    Just to note, in case of a time jump and I wind up away from computer, this is what Harry plans to do after the fight ends. I hope to RP it, but figured I'd add it so I don't slow things down:

1) assuming minimal collaterial damage from the explosion, ask Khalil to grab the knife & then carry Khalil at least a bit away (so help avoid cops.) Well, carry him if no mortal onlookers. If collaterial damage, try to help save anyone in rubble first, even if a few mortals see a pigeon lifting rubble.
    2) Give a call to Jimmy (my servant) to ask him to tend Khalil's wounds, should Khalil drop by. Ask Khalil if he can spare a point or two of Essence. (OOC: Khalil should be at max essence due to searing that demoness to death, and he still has his other Rites for the day, so I reckon he can spare it. Even if I fit my training Rite in and spend no additional essence, I'll be at 7/9 after sunrise. But that'll prevent me from meeting the Lebedevs as I need to shift to human. IC: Harry knows he's a bit drained after Singing, and will need to shapeshift later, so worried about getting too low.)
    3) Then Harry flies to check-in on Hanna. At some point calls Jerechial to update him on what happened, including that the Madman Harry vessel has Lee's phone & keys, should that be useful to anyone. Standing guard over Hanna 'til 3:30 seems good. After his Seraphic senses clear (so, like 1 or 2 PM?), if she's coherent and able to talk, he'd try to get her to tell her story again with a fresh Resonance check, to get what the truth is.
    Spoiler: here's hoping no 6 on a failed check again
    Show

(2d6)[7] @ 8
    [roll]1d6 + 2 [/roll] (+2 for touching via a feather or foot.)

FYI: Harry plans to train that night, to regain an extra essence before sunrise, but watching Hanna matters more now.

I hope this post isn't bothersome. I'm realizing time is a critical resource in this game (by the way -- great job at making that resource matter! I've played few games that do it this well, PbP or live), and I don't want to waste 4-5 hours of it. (I reckon the fight with Cao Shen ended no later than 11:00 am. 10 or 10:15 am saw Lee, fight ended in less than a minute, maybe 30-45 minutes with Hanna, then fly to meet Khalil & fight. Actual fight less than a minute.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-15 at 02:11 PM.