The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

With Seraph Resonance, once I get a success, does it last for the scene (i.e., detect truthfulness in everyone for the next X minutes) or just the very next person's statement? Or do I aim it on a person?

On time to re-use Resonance, I just saw this on page 57: "The check digit of a failed resonance roll determines how many hours the celestial must wait before he may try his resonance again for that specific purpose and target. In the meantime, he is free to use his resonance towards other ends, unless it was a 6"

So my idea of just re-rolling Resonance on someone isn't valid, right? Or would it work since it's not a different purpose (discern different statement) even if the same target?

I also see the modifiers for check digits. I guess I'll generally try to be within a yard of someone for that +1 bonus. A touch on the shoulder for +2 if I can manage it.

--
    Lastly, unless I missed something, I think I failed my Resonance roll on Morgannin. I rolled a 9, vs 8.
    If valid for her (based on what I rolled above), I'll try again. (Being close doesn't give any bonus to my Target Number, right?)

If not valid for her, I'll go on and roll Resonance to have it ready should someone else talk to me or the meeting start in earnest.
    (2d6)[3] @ 8
    (1d6)[4]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    With Seraph Resonance, once I get a success, does it last for the scene (i.e., detect truthfulness in everyone for the next X minutes) or just the very next person's statement? Or do I aim it on a person?
    It works on all statements uttered by the next person whose speech you hear, for (10 - check digit) minutes.

On time to re-use Resonance, I just saw this on page 57: "The check digit of a failed resonance roll determines how many hours the celestial must wait before he may try his resonance again for that specific purpose and target. In the meantime, he is free to use his resonance towards other ends, unless it was a 6"

So my idea of just re-rolling Resonance on someone isn't valid, right? Or would it work since it's not a different purpose (discern different statement) even if the same target?
    A failed roll prevents you from affecting the same target again, until its duration expires. You are, however, free to keep using it on other people.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-03-30 at 08:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    A failed roll prevents you from affecting the same target again, until its duration expires. You are, however, free to keep using it on other people.
    Cool. I'll count that nice check digit on the next person, then.

Edit: note on posting schedule
    I'll probably be closer to posting 1 or 2/weekday and iffy if at all on the weekend this weekend and next between some church stuff.
    Really enjoying the system and game so far. It's great having a PbP this responsive so that we can actually do some RP without it feeling like the plot drags for months.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-03-30 at 02:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Success, with a check digit of 1. Phantasm, would you care to share one of Jathiriel's trivial Needs? Unfortunately, Sarah hasn't yet sensed his more pressing desires: Like 'avoid being slaughtered by angry Angels'.
    Sorry, missed this. I'll need to think about it and come up with something tomorrow morning, because right now I'm drawing a blank.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-03-31 at 02:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

As with the other strangers, Sarah will attempt to use her Resonance on Jathiriel when she first sees him.

Jathiriel {TN 9}: [roll0]

Edit: Success, with a check digit of 1. Phantasm, would you care to share one of Jathiriel's trivial Needs? Unfortunately, Sarah hasn't yet sensed his more pressing desires: Like 'avoid being slaughtered by angry Angels'.
    Failed Phantasm can respond to this in his next post, if that works for everyone.

@JeenLeen: We can work something out as far as posting goes. I appreciate the heads up though.

I've sent XIII a direct message as I haven't seen him on since the 26th, and Khalil is falling behind in the overall story. I'm going to leave it ambiguous for the time being, to see if they gets back to me. Hopefully everything is alright, but if I don't hear from them I'll have to figure a few things out. Fortunately, he decided to head to Oblivion instead of the Howitzer. That may alleviate some issues if they decided they didn't want to play anymore.

I hope the pacing is okay and that everyone is having a good time. I got this latest post up a bit later than I'd hoped - work was a right pain in my arse today.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

I also see the modifiers for check digits. I guess I'll generally try to be within a yard of someone for that +1 bonus. A touch on the shoulder for +2 if I can manage it.

--
    Lastly, unless I missed something, I think I failed my Resonance roll on Morgannin. I rolled a 9, vs 8.
    If valid for her (based on what I rolled above), I'll try again. (Being close doesn't give any bonus to my Target Number, right?)

If not valid for her, I'll go on and roll Resonance to have it ready should someone else talk to me or the meeting start in earnest.
    [roll0] @ 8
    [roll1]
    Unfortunately the TN isn't modified by distance and whatnot. Only the Check Digit. But, it does allow for some interesting schemes when you consider you can use your resonance on a video clip of someone - albeit with a lesser degree of accuracy.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

I should probably bring up Sarah's Servitor Attunement at this point. When making eye contact with someone (even without using her Resonance), she learns what they would most like to trade for. Obviously this information won't always be relevant or useful. And it'd be a pain for the GM to list it for every NPC that Sarah meets. But since this kind of ability can be easily forgotten, I thought I'd better mention that she has it.

Edit: Come to think of it, Jathiriel's most sought trade might be one that reveals his true nature (like 'Redemption from Hell'). I'll wait for Phantasm to confirm or deny that before I post Sarah's first impression of him.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-03-31 at 07:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies, I work stupid and erratic swing shifts. I'm equally mortified in myself but super happy to see things moving along so well!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Come to think of it, Jathiriel's most sought trade might be one that reveals his true nature (like 'Redemption from Hell'). I'll wait for Phantasm to confirm or deny that before I post Sarah's first impression of him.
    I don't know whether Redemption is a thing that could be traded, per se, but otherwise that sounds right?

EDIT: As for a trivial Need, I'm thinking he would want some small token to give Mercy as an apology for his earlier outburst, but he wouldn't know what to get her. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to approach him about it until after the meeting is over, because he knows what favor-trading with a Lilim entails and feeling cornered isn't going to make him very amenable to any attempt at it.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-03-31 at 01:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Are the vlog entries shown to the angels identical to the ones in the setting lore opening post?
    I read the originals rather thoroughly, so they are cemented in my mind. I want to check to make sure my IC knowledge matches the OOC.

Also, for Anyr, I'm adding a set of Needs to my character sheet, in case your character ever uses her Resonance on Haralambos. Of course, given the exact situation at the moment, it could change, but these are general ones for the levels. (I also admit I might have some levels off.)
    NOTE: if I haven't posted it yet, it's because my baby woke up crying. I'll get it to sometime.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Are the vlog entries shown to the angels identical to the ones in the setting lore opening post?
    I read the originals rather thoroughly, so they are cemented in my mind. I want to check to make sure my IC knowledge matches the OOC.

Also, for Anyr, I'm adding a set of Needs to my character sheet, in case your character ever uses her Resonance on Haralambos. Of course, given the exact situation at the moment, it could change, but these are general ones for the levels. (I also admit I might have some levels off.)
    NOTE: if I haven't posted it yet, it's because my baby woke up crying. I'll get it to sometime.
    Yeah, they are a copy and paste essentially. Just as an easier point of reference for the story.

I'll have the next post up early tomorrow morning. Putting some finishing touches on it but work is kicking my butt.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    I'll have the next post up early tomorrow morning. Putting some finishing touches on it but work is kicking my butt.
    I probably won't be able to check the forum until late tonight (it's morning my time now), but I wanted to add that Haralambos tries to get Morgannin's attention before we all disperse and say, "About what you asked, that sounds good, as long as it's nothing I find bad. Bad, not hard: I don't mind hard work. And I'd be happy to scare or smash some bad folk causing you problems." But I can see her getting away before he gets the chance.

EDIT: Lore Question

I've gleamed a bit of the lore between the rulebook and what experienced players have posted, but would someone tell me the chronological sequence of the following:
    Creation (well, this goes first)
    The Eden Experiment
    The Fall
    Raphael's Death to Defeat Legion
    God's Leaving
    Birth of Christ (i.e., start of Christianity)
    Revelation to Muhammad (i.e., start of Islam)

Also, I get that some archangels have a rather strong pro-Christian or pro-Islam attitude, with antagonism to the other side from the Crusades. Does the lore include any archangels adhering to Eastern Orthodox Christianity or Protestantism?
    I picked the name Haralambos after an Eastern Orthodox saint, and I made the family for his vessel/role Greek, so curious if there'd be any social backlash from him leaning towards that branch of Christianity as opposed to others.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-04-01 at 09:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

I probably won't be able to check the forum until late tonight (it's morning my time now), but I wanted to add that Haralambos tries to get Morgannin's attention before we all disperse and say, "About what you asked, that sounds good, as long as it's nothing I find bad. Bad, not hard: I don't mind hard work. And I'd be happy to scare or smash some bad folk causing you problems." But I can see her getting away before he gets the chance.

EDIT: Lore Question

I've gleamed a bit of the lore between the rulebook and what experienced players have posted, but would someone tell me the chronological sequence of the following:
    Creation (well, this goes first)
    The Eden Experiment
    The Fall
    Raphael's Death to Defeat Legion
    God's Leaving
    Birth of Christ (i.e., start of Christianity)
    Revelation to Muhammad (i.e., start of Islam)

Also, I get that some archangels have a rather strong pro-Christian or pro-Islam attitude, with antagonism to the other side from the Crusades. Does the lore include any archangels adhering to Eastern Orthodox Christianity or Protestantism?
    I picked the name Haralambos after an Eastern Orthodox saint, and I made the family for his vessel/role Greek, so curious if there'd be any social backlash from him leaning towards that branch of Christianity as opposed to others.
    Not particularly, although Dominic and Laurence support the Pope above all, so I guess you could say that Roman Catholicism is the predominant choice. But Christian is still Christian in their eyes.

Khalid is the biggest named Archangel who follows Islam, and there aren't any mentioned of other denominations or regions.

I'll be posting in a while. Just waiting on a few last posts and then a final edit. Sorry for the wait.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gonna wait for Malchiel's response before Ramiel pulls up his own info, since the mention of the compass is important and also it'd probably be weird for Ramiel to start briefing everyone on one thing while everyone's listening to Malchiel about the compass.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Mea culpa for not posting sooner. I should be back to my normal rate now that the holiday is over, at least until finals in mid-May.

Also, uh. I hope you like 1000-word catch up posts. \_(ツ)_/

EDIT: As for character points, I added a tracker to my character sheet. I'll throw one point into Dodge so I have a nice even number and save the rest.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-04-03 at 12:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Lore question: with awards, does it cost the archangels anything to give their angels new vessels, roles, attunements, or Songs?

I reckon awarding Forces uses up some finite resources, since otherwise there'd be an infinite number of angels (an demons). And obviously relics are limited by the number of relics that exist, but it seems less straightforward with those. (Though I don't really understand the metaphysics of Roles. It seems like the archangel would have to alter the Symphony by rewriting the past, to enable that Role to exist. Or the angel steps in as someone dies and assumes their life, though that seems to not be the case since that is explicitly a Choir Attunement for one of the archangels.)

I understand political reasons like wanting something to award to useful servants, and at least for demons wanting their servants not to get uppity and try to usurp -- those are not what I'm asking about.
    If no lore reason gives a good justification, my head-cannon will be that Yves recommended it a long time ago and it became the traditional way of doing things.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Lore question: with awards, does it cost the archangels anything to give their angels new vessels, roles, attunements, or Songs?
    These do indeed have a concrete cost. When a Superior imbues their Servitors with (for example) a new Song, they're expending some of their personal resources. That's why they usually grant only a single level of the Song. Gaining further mastery is then left to the Servitor themselves.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

XP note since PM box was full
    Spoiler: would PM (but I don't care if others read it)
    Show

After some thought, I'll wait on the more substantial purchases until I've seen more of the game play. I'll just buy Dodge up to 3 (for TN 12) and Tail Song up to 2 (for TN 7).

Please do let me know if you'd be okay with that 'free vessel' trick or not. I figure I'll wait to ask for a Body Bag until something more concrete happens in-game.

Plus, this makes dodging mathematically simpler. Since any check digit from a successful Acrobatics roll now adds auto-successes, I just need to add the check digits together to get total hits soaks. Maybe not the most optimal use, but removing one small math-doing from each roll makes it a touch more fun to me.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

GM, could you link to OOC post 29 for my character sheet in the IC thread? That's the one I'm updating. :) Thanks.

And, I hope you don't mind the exposition and naming Martin Luther as a Soldier. I was trying to weave the story from the Vlog and what we discussed via PM into Malchiel's explanation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and the other compass of attunement Mel made in 1515 is the one he carries. In fact, they're identical, though Mel's is in better condition.
    Last edited by seatyger; 2018-04-03 at 01:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by seatyger View Post
    GM, could you link to OOC post 29 for my character sheet in the IC thread? That's the one I'm updating. :) Thanks.
    Same request for me, this link here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...78&postcount=4

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Same request for me, this link here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...78&postcount=4
    Done! Huzzah!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by seatyger View Post

And, I hope you don't mind the exposition and naming Martin Luther as a Soldier. I was trying to weave the story from the Vlog and what we discussed via PM into Malchiel's explanation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and the other compass of attunement Mel made in 1515 is the one he carries. In fact, they're identical, though Mel's is in better condition.
    Done! Huzzah times two!

Also, yes - totally okay with naming him a Soldier. Lore-drops are great for immersion.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

XP note since PM box was full
    Spoiler: would PM (but I don't care if others read it)
    Show

After some thought, I'll wait on the more substantial purchases until I've seen more of the game play. I'll just buy Dodge up to 3 (for TN 12) and Tail Song up to 2 (for TN 7).

Please do let me know if you'd be okay with that 'free vessel' trick or not. I figure I'll wait to ask for a Body Bag until something more concrete happens in-game.

Plus, this makes dodging mathematically simpler. Since any check digit from a successful Acrobatics roll now adds auto-successes, I just need to add the check digits together to get total hits soaks. Maybe not the most optimal use, but removing one small math-doing from each roll makes it a touch more fun to me.
    Sorry. I totally didn't realize that my inbox was full!! OMG! Sorry. It's cleared now.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-04-03 at 11:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I think I read in the core rulebook that angels can visit demonic tethers, but demons are unable to enter angelic tethers.
    Even if in the core book, is that the rule in your setting? I'm guessing no, since otherwise our Renegade would have troubles being at the meeting (unless being a Renegade enable such passage) and there's no good reason (we know of) that Thatch couldn't have retreated to a tether before things got too bad.

Not meaning this as a criticism, but wondering if I'm missing something.
    On missing something: both IC and OOC, I don't know what the big deal with humans hearing the Symphony is. Or maybe Haralambos should know, but I don't know OOC. Can something elaborate on that part of the lore?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

I think I read in the core rulebook that angels can visit demonic tethers, but demons are unable to enter angelic tethers.
    Even if in the core book, is that the rule in your setting? I'm guessing no, since otherwise our Renegade would have troubles being at the meeting (unless being a Renegade enable such passage) and there's no good reason (we know of) that Thatch couldn't have retreated to a tether before things got too bad.

Not meaning this as a criticism, but wondering if I'm missing something.
    That restriction only applies to Demons in celestial form. They're free to enter Angelic Tethers corporeally.

On missing something: both IC and OOC, I don't know what the big deal with humans hearing the Symphony is. Or maybe Haralambos should know, but I don't know OOC. Can something elaborate on that part of the lore?
    It's a very rare talent. Quite a few humans (such as Soldiers) are attuned to the Symphony in a basic sense: They can consciously spend Essence, detect Symphonic ripples, and learn Songs. But only a tiny number throughout history can truly hear the Symphony. Such prophets are highly prized by both Heaven and Hell. Their divinations sometimes surpass those of every Angel except Gabriel herself. So if Malcolm really is a prophet, then that is indeed a big deal.

By the way, my apologies for not posting today. I've been a bit distracted.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

So I triple-checked this on multiple devices just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but the links for Sarah, Jathiriel, Ramiel, and Khalil all go to JeenLeen's sheet.

EDIT: Updated table. I'm not sure how important it is that you be able to read this on a tablet, phone, or whatever, but I made sure that you can. The "view single post" option doesn't play nice with the mobile version of the site.

Player
    Character
    Choir/Band
    Superior
    Anyr
    Bright Lilim
    Marc
    seatyger
    Elohite
    Eli
    EarthenRite
    Elohite
    Yves
    Failed Phantasm
    Balseraph
    Kronos
    JeenLeen
    Seraph
    Michael
    XIII
    Malakite
    Gabriel
    Siegemonkeys
    Cherub
    Michael
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-04-05 at 12:04 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Failed Phantasm View Post
    So I triple-checked this on multiple devices just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but the links for Sarah, Jathiriel, Ramiel, and Khalil all go to JeenLeen's sheet.
    I was noticing it, too. It was really odd, since the little text showing what link it should bring you to was correct... but it was still to my post. That was on non-mobile format, for me.

@Siegemonkeys
    I was looking at your sheet, and I think I noticed your combat target numbers are lower than they should be.
    Corporeal Forces: 4
    Strength: 11
    Agility: 5

Large Weapons: 3

Axe: TN 13 (-1 Accuracy), Power +4
    EDIT: fixed math. I had your Corporeal Forces as 5, not 4, in the original post

From what I was told, accuracy is Strength + Corporeal Forces + Skill + accuracy, so Axe should be 11 + 4 + 3 - 1, or 17.
    Also, I think the default Power for axe was +4, so at TN 13 you'd be at +5, since the bonus over 12 gives bonuses to your check digit. For 17, you have a base power of 17 - 12 + 4, or 9. So you do 1d6 + 9 damage. Of course, that's assuming the enemy doesn't have something like armor that lowers your TN.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-04-06 at 07:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I was noticing it, too. It was really odd, since the little text showing what link it should bring you to was correct... but it was still to my post. That was on non-mobile format, for me.
    I think I figured it out. Compare:
    Erulasto's original link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22939778&postcount=3
    Correct link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22939763&postcount=3

You can't just replace the number in the "&postcount=" part.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-04-05 at 12:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Failed Phantasm View Post
    I think I figured it out. Compare:
    Erulasto's original link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22939778&postcount=3
    Correct link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22939763&postcount=3

You can't just replace the number in the "&postcount=" part.
    My bad. I'll make the appropriate adjustments as soon as I'm able. I was on autopilot I think when I was putting that together.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I think I'm going to be offline until Monday (or maybe Sunday night) for Eastern Orthodox Easter stuff. (Our Easter is one week past Western Easter this year.) I look forward to whatever develops come Monday.

As an OOC note: at least one building in the city has a 'Red Lady' theme. That seems a good place to start looking, but not something Haralambos would think of.
    Also, I could see one method of finding the Compass without finding the Lady. Namely, split areas between the Soldiers and angels and manually search every coffee shop to see if one looks like the one showing up on Thatch's vlog. I reckon a coordinated search could probably cover them all in a day or so, especially since most could be ruled out by simply looking inside and checking if the decor matches the vlog. I reckon the DM has a more logical method in his mind, though.

Is there any way to sense the Compass once we get near it? Any link between it and the other Compass of Atunement?