The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1328293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1180
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I thought the definition of being a Soldier was receiving a Force from a Superior (or being found with 6+ Forces and being aligned to a Superior) and made Symphonically aware. What's the actual definition?

I get that a lot would just be servants working essentially as Soldiers, but I wouldn't consider those technically Soldiers. For example, out of Jerechial's small army, I'd guess the majority are not actual Soldiers but rather trusted servants. Is it actually that all could be considered Soldiers even if most have 5 Forces?
    Soldiers must indeed have 6+ Forces. But not all of them receive their 6th Force from a Superior. A rare few humans reach that level by themselves. In that case, becoming a Soldier of Hell won't automatically damn them. They need to accept a gift of Infernal power (beyond just being made Symphonically aware). Until then, there's still a chance to back out.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I guess a Lore question on Geas and dissonance: per the FAQ/errata, dissonance for "gotta do this every day or X days" doesn't occur if you are in Heaven/Hell. For example, Servitors of Wind can stay in Wind's cathedral, or shedim in Hell don't suffer band dissonance.
    If you are Geased to do X (or not do X), and being killed and sent into Trauma violates the Geas, would you suffer dissonance?

What happens if someone falls while in Trauma in Heaven? Such as a cherub who's attuned die and that pushes them over the edge. Would they just slowly be destroyed by the heavenly light dealing Soul hits?

Side question: would a solution to Adele's problem be simply killing her, thus sending her to safety in Heaven? (Of course, many reasons exist to not want to kill her, but being in Trauma would at least free her from Choir and Word dissonance. Though perhaps increase dissonance from disobeying a Geas.)

And, with Geases: there's nothing literally stopping someone from violating a Geas, right? Just they suffer dissonance (or, if mortal, some sort of damage. Or are mortals compelled?)

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Troll in the Playground

I guess a Lore question on Geas and dissonance: per the FAQ/errata, dissonance for "gotta do this every day or X days" doesn't occur if you are in Heaven/Hell. For example, Servitors of Wind can stay in Wind's cathedral, or shedim in Hell don't suffer band dissonance.
    If you are Geased to do X (or not do X), and being killed and sent into Trauma violates the Geas, would you suffer dissonance?
    Yes, they're still on the hook. Being in Trauma would, at best, just delay the accumulated dissonance. Demons stationed in Hell get Geased too. Staying at home doesn't make them any less vulnerable to the Lilim signature power.

What happens if someone falls while in Trauma in Heaven? Such as a cherub who's attuned die and that pushes them over the edge. Would they just slowly be destroyed by the heavenly light dealing Soul hits?
    Yes. Though the dissonance in your example would be deferred until after their Trauma ends.

Side question: would a solution to Adele's problem be simply killing her, thus sending her to safety in Heaven? (Of course, many reasons exist to not want to kill her, but being in Trauma would at least free her from Choir and Word dissonance. Though perhaps increase dissonance from disobeying a Geas.)
    No. Being killed would put her in even more danger.

And, with Geases: there's nothing literally stopping someone from violating a Geas, right? Just they suffer dissonance (or, if mortal, some sort of damage. Or are mortals compelled?)
    {Warning: The following answer stems from a half-remembered conversation on a mailing list, several years ago. Take with a pinch of salt.}

I seem to recall one of the authors saying that those rules were only meant for PCs. NPCs will just obey, if they fail the resistance roll. The rules for ignoring a Geas aren't very well thought out. It's assumed that they won't actually be used much. But yes, PCs at least can choose to ignore a Geas, if they're willing to suffer dissonance.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Yes. Though the dissonance in your example would be deferred until after their Trauma ends.

No. Being killed would put her in even more danger.
    So, if you're in Trauma, any dissonance you would accumulate is 'on hold' until you exit Trauma? And then it hits you hard?
    (Actually, I think I now recall an FAQ about a cherub in Trauma. And it did state that, though it said a lenient DM might allow one to trade the dissonance for Discord before rolling to fall.)

I don't recall the details of her Geas if we ever found them out ("stay in one place"), but why would death put her in more danger? Accumulated dissonance from failing the Geas making her Fall once she wakes up?
    ...though, actually, if all the dissonance would hit her in one sudden burst, that's one dissonance roll, so the worst-case scenario (barring infernal intervention) is becoming Outcast, albeit with a ton of dissonance. So much that she'd probably get so much Discord she's not worth the effort for Janus to restore her, especially since she didn't avoid getting geased in the first place, and then she'd probably get sentenced to duty in Heaven for the rest of eternity if she's not just destroyed.

So maybe I just answered my own question.

{Warning: The following answer stems from a half-remembered conversation on a mailing list, several years ago. Take with a pinch of salt.}

I seem to recall one of the authors saying that those rules were only meant for PCs. NPCs will just obey, if they fail the resistance roll. The rules for ignoring a Geas aren't very well thought out. It's assumed that they won't actually be used much. But yes, PCs at least can choose to ignore a Geas, if they're willing to suffer dissonance.
    I agree the rules with Geas seem half-thought-out, at least in the core rulebook. Maybe the Lilith splatbook did a better detail.
    It also sorta makes sense, especially for mortals. It'd be pretty bad for the secrecy of the War if geased mortals get an urge to do something bad, don't do it (since they have no idea why they suddenly feel the compulsion), and then start wasting away for mysterious reasons.

I re-read the Geas Discord last night, and it even seems to contradict itself. It says something like "mortals like Body hits" based on the angel/demon's Celestial Forces for each time period they fail to fulfill the Geas, but later in the same page it says they lose a level of Strength for each delay. It sounds like they changed the rule and only remembered to update half the page.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I hope this isn't in poor taste, but as there's been no posting from Erulasto for over a month and we're at the 1-year-mark for this game IC... well, I'm sad to say, but it seems unlikely the game will start up.

Erulasto, if you read this, honestly no bad feelings and hope you're okay. I reckon it's something really bad to have you away this long, and PM me if you ever want to start the game back up.

As part of my personality, I tend to think a lot on some fictional universe that I'm playing in. Whether it's a Final Fantasy game I'm enjoyed, Mage tabletop, or (currently) this In Nomine, it's often how I preoccupy myself when not busy and wanting to daydream or enjoy some fiction in my head. To allow myself some closure (e.g., help me focus on other fantastical stuff or, if necessary, real life), I've written up a 'fan fic' epilogue.

Again, hope not in poor taste, but enjoyable. I tried to go for a "got the good ending, but everything wasn't 100% perfect" feel.

Spoiler: Epilogue
    Show

It has been five years since the events of the Five Mortals. And, on the whole, Heaven succeeded. Cassiel was rehabilitated. The mortals, though they perished in their profound act, now reside in Heaven as Saints. And [other good stuff since I’m sure I can’t image the end-game Erulasto had in mind.]

The last five years have had times of struggle for the angels of Los Angeles. But also great victories. In a very real sense, Los Angeles is now a city of angels.

The Rhapsody in Red was closed after a raid on its numerous illegal activities. Madison Rourke was apprehended under numerous charges, and, during an escape attempt, killed “by unknown parties” (that is, Haralambos and Khalil after Selena and Sarah lured her). Now in disgrace, Madrizel has resurfaced from time to time in the city with various schemes, but has often been put down.

Blackwater Studios was nearly closed down in the related police investigations. However, the suicide of its CEO (that is, Khalil paying him a visit) and talks with its shareholders (that is, blackmailing the mayor and others, plus raids on the demonic shareholders) led to it undergoing a number of renovations. It could now be said to be more in the spirit of Creation or Flowers than Lust.
    During the legal battles, Selena persuaded Caul to repent. Although he lost his vessel soon after Redemption, his final statements as Colby Keaton did much to help secure Blackwater’s changes. He now serves as a new actor found by Blackwater and is working from within to make it a fair place for Trade, assisted by Sarah and Selena from time to time.

And, in the wake of all the corruption being revealed, the Lebedevs have at least been quieter about their operations. The angels still keep an eye on them to make sure it is simply mortal decadence and selfishness, and Haralambos is still sad about failing to do any good within them, but it seems they at least maintain a status quo among the mortal criminal element.

The demons of Factions are still around, unfortunately, but the angels stymie their efforts at corruption. The Seraph Jathiriel is active at Hollywood Arts to help fight against their influence, and Nephel helps out when he has the time.

About three years ago, Cao Shen was killed in public, thanks to Selena’s intel and the Soldier Ryan’s task force. While the demon still troubled the angels of LA for the next year, his loss in worth without his Role and his subsequent deaths eventually got him recalled to Hell, reassigned elsewhere, or destroyed.

About two years ago, with permission from Laurence and Yves noting it was the appropriate time, Khalil led a raid to destroy the Tether to Fate. It was a fierce battle, with the Seneschal, Baraghur, Justinia, and Madrizel defending the Tether.
    While the angels slew its Seneschal’s vessel, and the building burned to ash by the hand of Jason Mayweather, to the surprise of all Baraghur incited a divine intervention against himself. The force of it all not only finalized the destruction of the Tether, but quickly led to his Redemption by Novalis.

Soon after, there was a surprising joint push by Jerechael and Adewale to form an assault force to destroy Inanna. However, Sarah’s fair words and Haralambos’ refusal to have War assist deterred any action.

Sadly, Death and The War are still active. Although Garezar was celestially slain during the events of The Five, Castigen, Hastephrat, and a new (though much less adept) shedim of Death operate in town.

Bethrezen, humiliated by failing Baal with The Five, having been slain on the second day and again during the final moments of those days, now fights much more openly in hopes of restoring his master’s favor. Though he is a pale shadow of what he was when he bore inhuman vessels and a deadly artifact, and the angels suspect he was stripped of his Knight distinction. Still, he commands, now aided not just by Jusitinia, but by Shax and his companion. Shax requested transfer to LA, his team having lost their old roles, seeking vengeance: his calabim friend was driven insane by Malcolm and destroyed by Baal, and Shax blames the angels. However, it seems there’s some power struggle and resentment between Bethrezen and Shax; each blames the other for their downfall. This greatly decreases how much of a ‘thorn in the side’ they are overall.
    But, despite these increased forces, the combined efforts of The War often fail if up against the combined efforts of War and Fire.
    Bethrezen was recently slain yet again by Khalil and Tink, and, since he hasn’t shown up in some months, it’s suspected Baal may have reassigned him to Hell if not destroyed him for incompetence. Shax has also been quiet since his last death, so there’s hope that Baal has finally signed LA off as a lost cause.

To the angels’ knowledge, Adaniphel and Ikorial are still around, and Haagenti and Nybbas have somebody new in town, but they’ve kept a very low profile. And Madrizel and the old Seneschal of Fate is still around seeking vengeance and trying to destroy souls.

The Angels

Gaspariel was offered the job of Chief of Police after uncovering the connections of the former Chief and the mayor with Rourke and Blackwater, but he passed on it to maintain his presence at the Tether. However, his recommendation led to a Soldier of Stone now being Chief of Police. By his coordination, the Templars and the police still struggle against the Ghostbloods, but the influence of the gang is decreasing

Mercy continues her flower shop, content in the peace she can offer and that now afforded to the city.

Sopholael, with a new vessel and role, is now a history teacher at Brighton Academy. He advises Jathiriel, serving similar needs at Hollywood Arts, and Nephel, who serves at the university.

Jerechael still serves as Seneschal, coordinating the forces of War and Fire against The War and Death. He mainly focuses on fostering the spirit of an honorable warrior amongst mortals and keeping tabs on The War’s movements, sending Harry or Khalil as needed.

Sarah, Friend of the Shareholders, does well the work of Trade. While her work is still centered in Los Angeles, she is often called by Marc to assist in other cities. Quite often, Adele—safe, able, and energetic as ever—or Selena are able to accompany her. When she’s away, Caul serves Trade as best he can, working from within Blackwater to cleanse it of impurities.

Solomon, having nearly fallen during the events five years ago, and only saved due to the efforts of his friend Khalil, now serves Heaven as a Cherub of Fire. Khalid was certainly displeased, but he is most forgiving of those who ask to serve Her who spoke to Muhammad, and Solomon does still try to foster faith in those he protects.

Immanuel, named Friend of the Divine Spark, continues to punish the cruel. As Khalil, he and his Soldier servants, Jason and Kaitlin Mayweather, run his detective agency. With his other vessels, he continues to destroy any demons whose cruelty taints this city.

Haralambos, Vassal of War, serves as the blunt force to destroy any demons who step out of line. It’s suspected he’d be named Friend if not for the Noise that often accompanies his assaults.
    He commands the Ofanite Tink, often a white cat or an energetic girl with a broadsword, as well as the Mecurian of War Selenniah, though he trusts her to do her part as she sees best. His latest accomplishment is helping to shape the Gravel Pits such that it became a Tether to War. Although he’s been offered the position as Seneschal, he recommends it go to a more experienced angel and he stick to killing demons. He’s acting Seneschal as Michael deliberates.

Morgannin continues to protect her wards and nature in general. Her ire towards Haralambos cooled once Famine was redeemed, and grew to friendship when it chose to serve Jordi. She now has under her command a cherub with the vessel of a decrepit, elderly man who cares for dozens of cats.

The Triad is much the same as before. Adewale has learned a touch of humility after being proven wrong in the incidents around the Five, though, well, he’s still a prick. But, even if he doesn’t act like the opinions of other angels matters, he has learned to at least listen to the members of his own Triad.

About three years ago, Nephel finally realized why Yves stationed him where he did. With a great Destiny finally fulfilled, Nephel is now free to operate with focused attention on his bookstore and the university students. It’s rumored Eli even dropped by for a beer and to say congrats.

Though some angels have since left Los Angeles.

Katriel, now honored in Janus’ eyes as a Vassal of the Wind, continued in her role. Having graduated college and become a renowned journalist, she travels from city to city to do the subtle works of Wind. She still keeps in touch with Sarah and Adele. And has stopped Evexiel’s new schemes a couple times.

Ramiel, named a Vassal for his protection of Malcolm and the others, has gone from one city and mission to another, protecting those Michael needs protected for the sake of War.

Malchiel, after recovering from Trauma, returned to Heaven and making of artifacts.

Emblem, recalled by Jean back to Europe during the events of The Five, missed out on most of the action. He is still gunning for the Word of the Internet.

Not long after his Redemption, the Elohite Baraghur chose his new Word and Archangel. He was taken to Heaven for training and is still awaiting a post on earth.

Spoiler: Short Summary of Celestials in town, by Superior
    Show

So, final list of angels (19 total)
    Stone: Gaspariel
    Flowers: Mercy
    Judgement: Adewale, Fortisimia, Razzael
    Fire: Khalil Immanuel, Solomon
    Wind: Adele
    Animals: Morgannin, Famine (new name given)
    The Sword: Jerechael
    Trade: Sarah, Caul
    War: Haralambos, Tink, Selenniah
    Destiny: Sophoael, Nephel

Left it vague for Jathiriel

Final list of demons (13-15 total):
    Lust: Madrizel
    The War: Bethrezen (?), Justinia, Shax (?), Shax’s djinn buddy
    Gluttony: new guy
    Dark Humor: Adaniphel
    Fate: the ex-Seneschal
    Factions: Kashtiel, Kuscheal
    The Media: new guy
    Death: Castigen, Hartesphat, new shedim
    Technology: Ikorial

Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-08-19 at 12:21 PM. Reason: finally went back and added Mercy to the list of angels

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground

I share Jeen's sentiments, Erulasto. Should you ever read this, thank you so much for a wonderful game and I hope you're well. That being said, our adventure isn't done yet. Call on us if you're ever ready to continue.

Jeen, thank you so much for writing that up, it was a pleasure to read. Having some closure is better than none, especially in games like this that I particularly enjoyed. This is the type of game we tell stories about with other tabletop gamers. I've already told stories of the eccentric and unstable Khalil and his comrades, they were well received.

I hope to see you all in future games! I may be taking up Jeen on his offer of a new game. I've taken writing classes since we've started. I don't feel like a better writer but practice does make perfect.

RossN, good game!

Anyr, always a pleasure.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello Friends.

Let me start by apologizing for my absence and letting you know how much I've appreciated your support and kind words regarding this game, and RPing with me in general.

I've tried to send out a PM to everyone, but there were some full inboxes so I figured it wouldn't hurt to post here as well.

I wont get into all the gross details, but suffice it to say that life spiraled out of control with frightening speed. Multiple extended stays in the hospital, and dealing with my ex-wife who tried to capitalize on my illness by filing a new custody dispute for my children.

It was a really, really dark time...and while I'm sure that no one really blames me for this game not being a priority in such a situation, I still feel bad about it. I was just as invested as all of you, and poured my heart into this game. So, it hurts me on a deep level that I vanished as such.

Regardless, on a more positive note, I have received a clean bill of health from my doctor and I've got my kids back full-time. So I'd say things are looking up. As such, I felt it necessary to get on and let everyone know I'm still alive and kicking. What does not kill you, makes you stronger...as the saying goes.

With life now stabilizing, I can begin to get back to the things that make me happy.

And to be honest, RP on the forum here was one of them.

Despite the dark times I've just come through, thoughts and dreams of this game - and many others - helped ground me and keep me fighting to move forward.

Maybe this game can be resurrected. Maybe not. Whatever may come of In Nomine: Los Angeles in the future, your kind words were uplifting and you've all given me a gift greater than I can put effectively into words. One of my greatest passions in life is storytelling, and it has been a privilege and an honor to have you all at my table.

But...that being said....in the words of that immortal, immoral robot Bender:

"I'm back, baby!"

PS: Jeen! I love the epilogue. I had a blast reading it.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-08-18 at 03:09 AM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground

Welcome back.

I'd be okay with picking up this game again if you like, or trying a new In Nomine game or something like a soft reboot (same characters but rolled back to a starting point.)

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I already said this via PM, but I'm so very glad to hear you are alive and well.

As to restarting the game: It is probably only that I am at work, that I am not doing a fan-boy-esque squeal at the thought of the game re-starting! So very YES!
    With a caveat that I'll probably be out a week in November or so, due to a new baby's arrival, though a quick check online would probably do wonders for my sanity during that first sleep-deprived week.

...and as an aside: I'm running a real-life game for a couple of my friends, and I've borrowed pretty heavily from your setting. So I greatly appreciate Bethrezen, Madrizel, Jerechial, Adewale, and some others that I've been able to lift.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, welcome back! I was going to return your PM but you're too popular!

No apology needed, just glad to see you back in one piece. Glad to hear that all is well in your world after that storm of misfortune settled.

I'm down for picking up where we left off, I will follow you with whatever decision is made.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ogre in the Playground

I cleared out my inbox. Didn't realize how many sent messages I'd saved. Hehe

I'd toyed with the idea of trying a different In Nomine game, especially if the general consensus was that too long had passed to pick things up again.

I'd need to read through the IC thread again to make sure my head was on straight and I could put my notes into a semblance of order again. But that's not a big deal.

Depending on where things had left off I'd considered a small time jump. Gloss over a few days worth of events. Small stuff. After Bethrezen and some of the other wins you'd accomplished, there would be a small lull in the overt action while Hell regroups and that'd let everyone pursue some side goals. Like Sarah's legal work. And the work for the Lebedev's.

Regardless, I think - unless someone was desperate to join - I'd stick to Kat, Harry, Khalil and Sarah. I'm not sure if any of the others are still around. I definitely wouldn't want to overburden the game with too many players right off the bat having just come back. And I know XIII, Ross, Jeen and Anyr have all made yourselves known now that I'm back.

So I'll put it out to a vote. Pick things up where we left off, a small time jump or something entirely new?

I definitely have more planned for this, so I wouldn't mind continuing in the slightest. Hehe

Also...congrats on the soon-to-happen birth, Jeen!
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-08-20 at 01:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I definitely lean towards this game re-starting.

EDIT: after writing the below, I realized I did it more as my thoughts on the two options instead of actually voting between time-skip or not. I guess my vote is tentative depending on how much we can do during the timeskip. Would most/all of what I put in the Spoiler below be acceptable?
    edit edit: And I'm fine with starting a new game if that's the consensus. I've got a lot of PC ideas I'd like to try out.

---

As for the time jump, I feel mixed because 1) I'd like to see how a couple scenes resolve, and 2) it seems like time moves so fast in this game that the idea of a timeskip of a couple days seemed untenable.

However, I can see it working well to put us all at a fresh start OOC for restarting the game, so I'm not completely opposed. Also, it seems a relatively good place. The angels effectively have 3 of the 5 under protection (or would soon): Malcolm, Felix, and Hanna. Khalil's major arc is sorta at a stopping point with getting blackmail material against Rourke and saving Kaitlin. Sarah and Katriel are about to save Adele. I feel like Harry's stuff is lacking some finality at the moment, but assuming Selena isn't kept arrested and Famine doesn't backstab me, no big problems. With Judgement, I can see a compromise on 1) most of the Noise was the demons' fault BUT 2) Harry is now supposed to minimize chances for the demons to get Noisy

Examples of what I'd probably have Harry do if he had a couple days are below.
    Part of it is just that it seems rather unlikely a couple days could pass without at least one demon dying, unless they lay very low
    Spoiler
    Show

VERY SHORT TERM GOALS (e.g., that day)
    -make sure Selena and Jerethial are okay, per the scene currently in
    -get Sarah to Geas Famine appropriately
    -get Famine set up in a spare apartment 'safehouse'
    -go to Heaven to turn in the Black Hand of Baal to Michael's quartermaster & report on demon-kills. (If Michael's around, tell him about Famine & that Selena seems a good prospect. Plus explain Noise.)
    -call the Lebedevs and see about work. Do it if not too morally-questionable/Noisy. Use funds to refund Jimmy

NEXT FEW DAYS GOALS
    -via intel from Malcolm, Ramiel, or Emblem, find out where Agatha Klassen (demon of Factions) lives. Wait outside bedroom window and crash in, kill her. KO Brody if he's with her, but try not to cripple him. Should be pretty easy for Harry-pigeon, Tink, and (if convinced to come) Famine. They're all agile and sneaky. And even if Emblem leaves, between Khalil's PI skills, high school student knowledge, and Facebook, I'm sure it's not too hard to find her place. Or Brody's and do it while they make out at his room or car.
    -call up that sword-cane bodyguard and do some sparing. Use Resonance and strange questions to assure not under demonic control.
    -work with Gaspariel to ruin Baraghur's cop role. The guy sure isn't checking in on work, is he? And not answering his phone? Where is he? OR if he shows up to work... well, odd how he got attacked and killed soon after, no? AND/OR check with Martine about if she bound Baraghur. If she did, let her decide if Harry should kill him or if she wants him as a pet. (But get both Roles ruined--professionally at least--as nobody can track him down.)
    -follow-up on Lebedev work.

NOT DOING FOR SAKE OF GAME-EASE
    There's a few other things that I think Harry would do, but I can see holding off on for the sake of ease of gaming. Like the "offer of redemption or die" via Selena arranging a meet-up with Adaniphel, Caul, or Ikorial. But I can see those demons laying-low. Or sending a message to Hastephrat about whether his gang will persist or not, but I can see Gaspariel and Jerechial insisting Harry wait due to the whole "national guard might take over the city" thing.

With whatever xp we get for the day ending, I plan on having Harry request a "criminal vessel" to use for when he doesn't want Madman Harry seen. Like sneaking into a high school girl's room to brutally murder her. He'll give that vessel the artifact axe.
    Spoiler: Vessel Backstory idea
    Show

Enrique Rio is a known serial killer, who is wanted in several countries. His age is unknown, but he must at least be in his early 50s due to the time he's been around, but he looks to be in his 30s or 40s. A thin but muscular man (swimmer or gymnast build) of central American descent, he somehow has the means to travel to the US or other countries, seems to go on a killing spree or minor criminal acts, then vanishes only to resurface a few months or years later somewhere across the country or globe.

In truth, this is a vessel that Michael loans to different Servitors in times of need. It was originally the vessel of an Elohite of War who was arrested in Brazil and stayed in prison to minister to some of the other convicts, but when a prison riot occurred (not his fault, but he used it), he escaped with several potential Soldiers of War. The Elohite was given a new vessel to lead the gang he was forming, while this vessel was repurposed. To the news media, Enrique Rio had a mental breakdown during the breakout, changing him from a rough-if-helpful prisoner to a psycho-killer.

In the 35 years it has been in use, it has been used by over three dozen angels. It bears a multitude of tattoos, including various gang signs but also several hinting at angelic affiliation, as well as several nasty scars. He can blend in by wearing a sweater, hoodie, or trenchcoat (covering his tattoos), but he still carries an air of menace that sets people at unease.

Mechanics:
    Vessel 2
    Charisma -2
    Role 2 (serial killer) / Status 1 (no real wealth, as just a traveler. Carries binoculars, face mask, handgun, and several knives.)
    Cost: 3 xp (6 - 4 +(2*1)/2 = 3)

I would request the "free vessel trick" of -2 Charisma making a level 1 vessel free, but that seems so broken as to be banned. Hence this. The -2 charisma is from looking like a scary gangster combined with being a very wanted criminal.

Also, one thing that had me curious: who was the not-Jimmy done in the ambulance? And was that intentional as Jimmy is not an EMT but a veterinarian? I was wondering if you had forgotten what Jimmy's job was, or if it was that Solomon or Jerechial had organized a pick-up via Jimmy and a Soldier.

And, as much as it hurts our resources, I recommend having Emblem recalled by Jean. Maybe Nephel, too. I like having all the resources and help we can, but it seems like there's too many allied angels, especially with former PCs dropping. I like Jerethiel staying if he matters for the plot, and Ramiel is really helpful as a cherub to keep track of the Five, but Emblem and Nephel seem overpowered in a sense (techno-wizardry with Emblem, and Kyri of Destiny just seem crazy good. I'd love to play one, but I think I'd drive any GM crazy if he let me because I'd be possessing and mind-reading so many folk.)
    Though, on Jerethiel, I could see the scene with Judgement forcing him out of the game. Hopefully via Redemption and getting recalled to Heaven for training/supervision.

Here's hoping my lengthy reply doesn't make you rethink restarting the game
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-08-20 at 08:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm down for whatever but I do have preferences.

I'm not for a restart, but I will go along with one should we come to that decision.

I'm for picking up exactly where we left off if not a little to the right or left, maybe some retcon as needed.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been typing this for like a day and a half at work.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

One thing I like about XIII's preference (no time-skip) is that we can push our initiative. Keep hitting while Hell is confused over the loss of Bethrezen. It gives us good time to use the Compass to find the other Two, work on blackmailing folk against Blackwater and Rourke, etc. (Though we could do those two things during a timeskip. If we skip a couple days, I reckon we should know all of the Five, even if we haven't directly gotten the last two in-the-know or under our direct protection yet.)

The only big reason I could see for not pushing our initiative is if Judgement strongly tells Harry and Khalil to keep things quiet. "Strongly" being potential recall to Heaven for punishment.
    But that should still allow for subtle things like getting the Mayweathers to safety, finding the last of the Five, and blackmail.

---

If we do a timeskip, one retcon I could see as being helpful would be if Sarah's old friend asked her to meet not that night, but X days hence, where X is the days of timeskip.
    At least, I reckon that scene will not be insignificant enough to timeskip over.

If we've had time to 'set up something' for the day we timeskip to... my idea would be Selena 'admitting' to Ikorial that she's gone renegade and wants his help moving her funds offshore. He gets to keep half. If he's as greedy as he says, he'll agree and meet up, and Harry kills him. If he's more loyal to Hell than he seems, he and Corgi show up, and Harry gets to kill them both. Win-win!

...or everyone is laying low, or Selena been 'outed' as an angel.

As a time-saver for you, Erulasto, I've taken the liberty of writing up a few X of Note for the initial IC thread, to get it up-to-date.

Spoiler: Demons not currently listed or with a lot more intel
    Show

Adaniphel: an Impudite of Dark Humor. Her vessel is an older lady with a British accent who goes by Sue. Seems shaken of late.

Caul: an Impudite of the Media with the vessel of Colby Keaton, adult film star at Blackwater. A good friend of Selenniah, as demons go. Knows Sarah's Role, but thinks she is just a human using Selena.

Korganeth: In from Las Vegas temporarily, he is a Djinn of the Game. Probably thinks more highly of himself than he should, he considers himself a master hunter. Called “Corgi” by some of the other demons. In addition to whatever other duties he has, he was sent to intimidate Bethany into the Blackwater deal.

Spoiler: People not currently listed
    Show

Martine: A sorcereress of unknown age and power. She has worked both with Archangels and Demon Princes. Gets along with Michael and dislikes Kronos, which was enough to earn Haralambos’ trust.

Stanley Burke: A Soldier of Creation who has been AWOL since his angel went into Trauma a few years ago. Recently resurfaced as a prison guard arranging the murder of Louis Dancourt. Is serving somebody, but it’s unclear who.

Byron: One of the bodyguards working for the Lebedevs. Uses a sword-cane. Madman Harry has taken him on as a sparing partner.

Spoiler: Ethereals not listed
    Show

“Gil” and Unknown Lady: two others who work for Inanna alongside Duke and at least seem likely to be ethereals. Gil works at times as a bouncer. The lady’s purpose is unknown, but she has a skull motif. They were present when Duke helped Sarah and Selena escape the meeting of demons.

Lastly, some updates to demons if the time-skip goes as I'd love it to. The changes are in italics and just as adding the last sentence or two.
    Spoiler: Maybe update?
    Show

Baraghur: A Habbalah of Fate posing as a LAPD Detective (Detective Sawyer). Has been tormenting the Dancourt family - especially Hanna Pierse - with emotional manipulation. His reason for being present in Los Angeles is presently unknown. Wounded by Haralambos - something he will not forget. It was recently revealed that Baraghur had a second vessel with the role of Louis Dancourt's defense attourney. He was recently bound by the sorcerer Martine and, consequently, his Roles’ reputations have been tarnished as he hasn't shown up to work or answered his phone..

Evexiel: A Lilim that has ensnared Adele in a Geas and ordered her to stay put and not leave Los Angeles, forcing the Ofanim into dissonant behaviour. Whereabouts unknown. Responsible for Katriel's last bit of trouble on the Corporeal Realm. Presently suspected of being in a vessel named Everett. He is handsome in a very exotic way. His hair is long and black as night, with a complexion better suited to somewhere in the Mediterranean. Wide eyed, and wearing a checkered black and grey t-shirt under a black blazer and pair of slacks. Inanna told Katriel and Sarah that Evexiel was masquerading as a motivational speaker at local high schools. After Sarah and Katriel managed to free Adele, he was slain and his vessel left for the police, destroying his Role.

Kashtiel and Kuschiel: Suspected servants of Malphas, Prince of Factions. Kashtiel appears as a young teen girl and was dressed in fashionable clothes, chewing on some bubblegum rather noisily. She had blonde hair and the carried herself with an air of authority. She was the kind of girl who screamed bully and prom queen. Kuschiel is a darker skinned young man with cornrows and a pair of thick-framed black glasses. He wore a colourful shirt depicting a nude anime girl and a dragon coiled about her to hide all the naughty bits.
    Kushiel is a Djinn, but Kashtiel's Band is unknown. Suspected Balseraph. Kashtiel was revealed to be Agatha Klassen. She was later assassinated by Haralambos and his team, her Role lost.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-08-21 at 08:14 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ogre in the Playground

All valid points. I definitely don't think the route I'd like to go is a full restart. Not when we've come so far already. I hum and haw a bunch about the time skip; it'd allow sort of a soft re-launch, but I do see Jeen's concern about glossing over too much that we're in the thick of.

Especially since, just off the top of my head, Sarah and Kat are in the midst of a major plot point.

I sent Ross and Anyr a PM to check the thread here and weigh in, so I'll give them some time to ponder and put their own thoughts forward.

I've got some ideas brewing, to be sure. But I'd like to see what everyone's opinion is before I give them voice.

Also, thanks for making my job a bit easier Jeen!

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Troll in the Playground

It returns! I'm so glad to see this thread buzzing again. Welcome back, everyone!

My vote is for picking up the action where we left off. There are several ticking clocks that can't be paused: Like Adele's Geas, and the meeting with Karili. It seems much easier to let those events play out in real time.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd like to get back to Katriel my beloved ditzy Mercurian. That said it will probably take me a couple of days just to re-read the threads to figure out where we are, whether there is a time skip or not.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel the same way, a good recap is in order.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll throw in my vote formally as to start off where we left off, like the others.
    I really only wanted a short timeskip if we were given auto-wins on stuff like Adele's freedom

Quote Originally Posted by RossN
    That said it will probably take me a couple of days just to re-read the threads to figure out where we are, whether there is a time skip or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    I feel the same way, a good recap is in order.
    I skimmed through a good bit of the game recently, mainly to recall what Harry did and did not promise Famine (lest I become dissonant.) If I have time, I might try to write a summary of events thus far.

Though I think this is the status of each PC and random stuff we have up in the air.

Sarah: supposed to meet her old friend tonight, in mysterious secrecy. Working actively to free Adele. Her mundane is in "trouble" as Rourke is attracted to her and Caul suspects her of using Selena. Working hard to save Bethany from Blackwater. Recently offered a position as partner in her law firm.

Katriel: helping free Adele. Supposed to write a positive newspaper article on Rourke, and I think she was asked if she could send a draft sometime soon. Korganeth asked her to deliver a message to Bethany, which got Felix (of the Five) riled up, but Sarah persuaded him not to go on a rampage and to instead get Bethany somewhere safe.

Khalil: rescued Kaitlin. Concerned about Solomon, learning of his dissonance. It seems Solomon is waiting for something, perhaps linked to all that's going on now. Stole a laptop that probably proves Rouke was filming underage girls in adult videoes.

Harry: currently talking to Judgement at Mercy's, to defend Selena and Jathiriel. Juggling a lot of things, but mostly on call should Hanna need protection or demons need killing. Seriously, call him if you want someone dead. Wants Selena to set up meets with Ikorial, Caul, and/or Adaniphel before it gets out she is an angel, but giving her some space.
    Juggling: gaining intel on Lebedevs via 'messenger' work, protecting/redeeming Famine, trying to appease Morgannin, figuring out what to do with Louis Dancourt. Needs to read Louis' journal and/or get it to smarter angels. Also wants to target the Ghostbloods, but just hasn't had the time to get a plan in place, and probably won't with all the concern about Noise and the national guard.

VARIOUS THINGS

Harry and Khalil discussed celestially killing Garezar. But as the plan hinged on capturing Kaitlin while she was possessed, seem that's out the window. I think we got a few angels to agree to help us, should we get Garezar on the celestial plane. But this seems moot.

We also got a lot of info on Blackwater Studios. Its shareholders include the mayor, Madison Rourke, and someone sharing a last name with Jason and Kaitlin. We also know they hired toughs (Ghostbloods?) to 'persuade' Bethany, as got an e-mail stating that. Ideas circulate about blackmail, but nothing active has happened yet.

Rourke is hosting the mayor's daughter's birthday party. Probably something bad there. Also an aviary is set to open soon, though Morgannin didn't say she wanted help when Harry asked.

Belial is behind a huge fire somewhere to the south. (Mexico? I forget exactly where.)

INFO ON THE FIVE: we have a poem that hints at the possible Falls for each. And dream-prophecies that make it seem like we have until Halloween, or at least October. The Five might be protected from possession and certain Resonances.
    We also have the last names of the bloodlines. And Sarah has the Compass.

Malcolm: Ramiel's ward. Living his mundane life, and currently helping Sarah/Katriel with Adele. Or, well, he's nearby. Seems mostly back to normal after channeling divine power. Known to the demons and was tormented by Factions.

Hanna: Harry's ward, though attuned by Ramiel. Safe at Stone's Tether, along with her adoptive mom. Was tormented by Garezar in the past and recently by Baraghur. By luck of the dice, her adoptive mom might have a crush on Harry.
    Something is strange with her family history; just who is the Soldier Ryan? Unfortunately, Harry is a bit too dim to put those pieces together and realize he really should forcefully ask.

Felix: Bethany's friend. (But not Bethany's boyfriend; that's the cute, nearly-naked guy Katriel met.) Rather angry. Also, his sister is a druggee performing at Rourke's club. Angelic intel on him has NOT been shared. Khalil and Harry know that Garezar IDed him as one of the Five, but based on Sarah's intel most of the demons don't know about him. Sarah confirmed he is one of the Five, and Katriel knows. Harry and Khalil haven't talked with Sarah and Katriel, so they don't know what the other side knows. Also, no other angels have been told of Felix, in case Adewale is right about a leak.

We know the bloodlines of the other two, and have the Compass, so just need to track them down.

Query: based on what Khalil saw in Kaitlin's room, and that it seemed to divine what Felix was... maybe Kaitlin is a sorcerer? Doing ritual stuff seems on par for corruption by a shedite, but that was ritual stuff that seemed to work!
    Well, even a Soldier of Hell can end up in Heaven, if they really repent and live a good life. (Thanks to those Angels of Last Judgement.)

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it seems like the general consensus is to pick up right where we left off. Sounds like a plan to me.

Between the notes Jeen has been making, and my own ideas, I think I'll aim to have the new first post up Friday or Saturday evening. I'll include a sort of recap as well, just as a sort of review, and then move on to the actual posts.

Lookin' forward to it!

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Looking forward to it!

By the way, my Resonance on Tyranael is at a 4 to 6. 4 on base roll. Link here. But probably at least 5 and I flew really close to him, and 6 if he accepts the "handshake".
    Even if he's telling the truth, I'd like to know why as I reckon that will hint at how much trouble Harry or his allies are in.

I consolidated our notes on the Five.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Prophecy, some spaces added to help interpretation

When Summers death comes in the shadow of Ghosts and Ghouls,
    And the land is washed clean with suffering's tears,
    Five Fates begin to waver.

One bears a fate of hatred and death,
    A misguided search for bloody retribution.

One bears a fate of wasting excess,
    A lost soul washes away the memories with oblivion.

One bears the fate of the forgotten,
    Unwatched, unloved and alone.

One bears the fate of the broken,
    First in body, then in spirit.

One bears a fateful song,
    And burns like a shooting star.

When the revelation ends,
    And the road less travelled is brightened,
    The honest man with the forked tongue comes,
    And the fires of war burn,
    She comes to mourn Summer's Death with not so tender mercies.

Five Fates or Destinies hanging upon the final thread,
    The faith must be kept and love nourished,
    Or their suffering will become Her suffering,
    And the Lost and the Damned will find a new daughter.

Bloodlines: Price, DeWitt, Malanowska, Pierse, and Brar

Book Emblem sent to find, about Cassiel

There was a girl whose sorrow was greater than the sum of all the sorrows before. It was heartbreak upon a level mortals cannot conceive. She existed purely to serve Love, and in turn loved so purely that it was renowned within the land.
    It is said that the girl was heartbroken when her love was used by Love and she was cast aside.
    For many years she anguished, until a wise old man taught her to use her sadness to help balm the grief of others who had lost their love.
    But there came a time after many more years that the girl began to grow resentful of her grief. She bemoaned why she was made to suffer so. The girl left on a long journey to find answers, from the highest of peaks to the deepest of pits.
    Along the way, she was met by five travelling minstrels. Each was beset by loss and grief, and though the girl had made it her lifes work to tend the garden of their sorrow, her anger and hatred for her suffering blinded her to their plight and she left them upon the side of the road.
    And when the girl had finally arrived upon the highest peak, the glorious answer she had been seeking was not there. There was simply...nothing.
    So with her frustration and anger rising, she began the long journey from the highest peak to the deepest pit.
    Along the way, the girl met the five travellers again.
    The girl saw that each of the travellers had become bitter and twisted in their grief and their songs had become dark and mournful.
    With each passing song that the girl heard, her own bitterness grew and grew. It grew so twisted and all-consuming that when the girl finally arrived at the deepest pit she was barely recognized as the girl she once was.
    There, she found an answer though it was not one she would expect. While the answer she had been promised by the wise old man was absent, this new answer cemented her cruelty and hate and all-consuming grief.
    And her love became as black and twisted as Love.

We also know that Garezar wanted Hanna to send a "bad song" but was terrified at her singing a "good song".
    Sarah knows the Bad Song is called "Song of the Last Broken Heart", at least according to Bethrezen.

Spoiler: speculations
    Show

Hanna seems to be the "fate of the broken." Malcolm could be "wasting excess" as he was to be given to Rourke to turn him, but his Song makes it perhaps a "fateful song". Feliz is probably "hatred and death" due to his anger.

I wonder how literally we should take that Cassiel will meet them before the demons could get to them? Did she perhaps already see them at some point?

Regardless, seems clear that, if the mortals are corrupted, their Song will cause Cassiel to Fall and probably become a new Demon Princess.

It seems that, if the Good Song is sung... well, something extra good happens, I guess? Michael wanted them to meet their Destiny.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-08-23 at 11:23 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ogre in the Playground

First post v2.0 is up!

Huzzah!

If I've missed something or got something wrong, please let me know and I'll edit it accordingly.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Troll in the Playground

Wondrous! I'll refrain from posting for Sarah until Katriel reacts. Kat is in the driver's seat of this harrowing scene.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ogre in the Playground

In regards to Evexxiel catching up to Kat, I assumed she wasn't trying to necessarily avoid him since she's trying to lure him out. That being said, I realize she may want him lured a bit further out.

Ross, if that's the case let me know and I'll edit the post so the meeting is a bit further abroad so to speak.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Doing anything to directly/knowingly interfere with Judgement's investigations is very illegal, right?

As in, if Harry tried to free Selena or Jason, he'd be in a world of trouble, as well as probably putting Michael and whoever he freed in a lot of trouble, right?

EDIT: to clarify, I don't intend for Harry to do something stupid, but I wanted to make sure I knew exactly how stupid it would be to try something before I completely rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    In regards to Evexxiel catching up to Kat, I assumed she wasn't trying to necessarily avoid him since she's trying to lure him out. That being said, I realize she may want him lured a bit further out.

Ross, if that's the case let me know and I'll edit the post so the meeting is a bit further abroad so to speak.
    My main curiosity was if that hinted at him having the Impudite of Theft attunement, which would mean he was a Lilim of Theft.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-08-25 at 09:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

Doing anything to directly/knowingly interfere with Judgement's investigations is very illegal, right?

As in, if Harry tried to free Selena or Jason, he'd be in a world of trouble, as well as probably putting Michael and whoever he freed in a lot of trouble, right?

EDIT: to clarify, I don't intend for Harry to do something stupid, but I wanted to make sure I knew exactly how stupid it would be to try something before I completely rule it out.
    Generally speaking, directly defying Dominic is a bad idea. Some Superiors are less likely to care, but even Gabriel and Michael - Doninic's two biggest detractors - try to make sure their Angel's dont draw unnecessary attention from him.

If Harry freed Selena and Jason, it's very likely there would be some censure. In the very least.

At least...through force. Diplomacy is always a possibility. Tyranael is an Elohite after all and he's supposed to be pretty impartial. Can Harry or the others make a solid case?

In Selena's case, she's already an angel. So aside from some forceful questioning she's not likely to have a lot of problems in the long run. Plus she's earned some good grace for her part in killing Bethrezen.

My main curiosity was if that hinted at him having the Impudite of Theft attunement, which would mean he was a Lilim of Theft.
    That is a possibility, for sure. Or that he's done favours for Valefor before.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-08-26 at 02:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

At least...through force. Diplomacy is always a possibility. Tyranael is an Elohite after all and he's supposed to be pretty impartial. Can Harry or the others make a solid case?

In Selena's case, she's already an angel. So aside from some forceful questioning she's not likely to have a lot of problems in the long run. Plus she's earned some good grace for her part in killing Bethrezen.
    Yeah. I'm hoping I can argue Selena into some freedom, at least. I reckon Jason is kinda screwed, sadly. Maybe Harry can at least give him some hope or reinforce not everyone is as bad as Dominicans. He'll definitely relay the status of things to Sarah whenever they next speak. Plus warning her and Khalil of Judgement's prying.

That is a possibility, for sure. Or that he's done favours for Valefor before.
    I thought you couldn't get an attunement for another Choir/Band unless you belonged to that Word. For example, a Lilim of Theft can get other Theft Band attunements, and any Lilim could get the Lilim of Theft attunement as payment for a job well done, but a Free Lilim or a Lilim of any other Word couldn't get the Impudite of Theft attunement.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-08-26 at 09:07 AM. Reason: fixing Quote tags

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm fine with Evexxiel interaction - I mean Kat isn't but she's tough!

I'm still working my way through our old posts so I'm working a little on memory here. If I really trip up please point it out!

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ogre in the Playground

First post v2.0 is up!

Huzzah!

If I've missed something or got something wrong, please let me know and I'll edit it accordingly.
    Hot diggity daffodil!

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

@Anyr/RossN: what was the plan to lure him from the school to Babylon? I know it hinged on Katriel as bait.
    Also, are y'all wearing sunglasses or something to protect you from his Resonance?

And, not to be presumptuous, but I suggest Katriel making a flirtatious overture to go to Babylon. He may follow.

@Erulasto: Jimmy's a veterinarian, not an EMT.
    If that was just forgotten, I'm fine with saying he's doing a second job temporarily. Or retconning him as an EMT if that really matters for anything you had planned. But I prefer overall the idea of a veterinarian who does patchwork on the side. Especially after seeing one on Better Call Saul.

Though I'm completely fine with him just posing as one in the current scene, through some shenanigans.