The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 1226
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Erulasto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I think I'm going to be offline until Monday (or maybe Sunday night) for Eastern Orthodox Easter stuff. (Our Easter is one week past Western Easter this year.) I look forward to whatever develops come Monday.

    As an OOC note: at least one building in the city has a 'Red Lady' theme. That seems a good place to start looking, but not something Haralambos would think of.
    Also, I could see one method of finding the Compass without finding the Lady. Namely, split areas between the Soldiers and angels and manually search every coffee shop to see if one looks like the one showing up on Thatch's vlog. I reckon a coordinated search could probably cover them all in a day or so, especially since most could be ruled out by simply looking inside and checking if the decor matches the vlog. I reckon the DM has a more logical method in his mind, though.

    Is there any way to sense the Compass once we get near it? Any link between it and the other Compass of Atunement?
    I'm hoping to start the new chapter this weekend so that'll give you a bit of leeway to get started.

    And you're correct. The canvassing of coffee shops could certainly work! If that's the route you want to take, be my guest. Hehe

    As for the Compass itself, I'd have to double check on the rules for perceiving relics and whatnot but I had some info in my campaign notebook at home. I'll have to take a look and see what I wrote when I'm back from work.

    On an unrelated note - as it may or may not be obvious, this is the first PbP game I have run, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

    I like to be understanding about life and whatnot as far as posting schedules go and I think we're doing pretty well.

    What's a good rule of thumb to determine if someone has ghosted from the game? We haven't had a post from Sopholael since the 28th and I haven't gotten a response from PMing the player either so far as I can tell.

    I want to be as understanding as possible - but what's a reasonable limit?
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Where JUSTICE takes me
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I was noticing it, too. It was really odd, since the little text showing what link it should bring you to was correct... but it was still to my post. That was on non-mobile format, for me.

    @Siegemonkeys
    I was looking at your sheet, and I think I noticed your combat target numbers are lower than they should be.

    EDIT: fixed math. I had your Corporeal Forces as 5, not 4, in the original post

    From what I was told, accuracy is Strength + Corporeal Forces + Skill + accuracy, so Axe should be 11 + 4 + 3 - 1, or 17.
    Also, I think the default Power for axe was +4, so at TN 13 you'd be at +5, since the bonus over 12 gives bonuses to your check digit. For 17, you have a base power of 17 - 12 + 4, or 9. So you do 1d6 + 9 damage. Of course, that's assuming the enemy doesn't have something like armor that lowers your TN.
    Oh, wait, you add Corporeal Forces to an attack roll? I wasn't aware. Do you add your relevant forces to -every- skill roll? Like, if I have Lockpicking 3, Precision 6, and 3 Ethereal Forces, would my TN be 9 (Lockpicking+Precision), or 12 (Lockpicking+Precision+Ethereal Forces)?

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Erulasto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Siegemonkeys View Post
    Oh, wait, you add Corporeal Forces to an attack roll? I wasn't aware. Do you add your relevant forces to -every- skill roll? Like, if I have Lockpicking 3, Precision 6, and 3 Ethereal Forces, would my TN be 9 (Lockpicking+Precision), or 12 (Lockpicking+Precision+Ethereal Forces)?
    If I recall, it's only applied to melee attacks. Doesn't apply to ranged attacks or other skills.

    However!

    I could very well be mistaken though. I don't have books or errata in front of me.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-04-07 at 02:58 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Erulasto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    I'll be issuing the next post later today. I apologize for the delay, I've been struggling with a bit of a stomach bug that has impeded my ability to be overly productive.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Erulasto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    I could have sworn I responded to the questions about Cassiel. Please let me know if they're not in your inbox so I can resend - my connection was sketchy when I was writing them up on my break at work.

    Also it's okay to spend the points on the vessel.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-04-08 at 12:01 PM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    On an unrelated note - as it may or may not be obvious, this is the first PbP game I have run, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

    I like to be understanding about life and whatnot as far as posting schedules go and I think we're doing pretty well.

    What's a good rule of thumb to determine if someone has ghosted from the game? We haven't had a post from Sopholael since the 28th and I haven't gotten a response from PMing the player either so far as I can tell.

    I want to be as understanding as possible - but what's a reasonable limit?
    I'm not a big PbP-er, but from the handful of games I have been in, the posting rate of this game is astounding. I figure posting will get a tad less frequent as the 'new game' excitement wears off (and maybe that's what we've seen in the last half-week), but posting every day or two is really great.

    As for ghosting... hard to tell, but if someone hasn't responded in a week, I can see assuming they dropped out. However, to be nice, I'd recommend giving them the chance to return if they explain what happened. Maybe a huge family emergency came up, or something ruined internet connection. But generally I think it'd be polite for players to say "hey, I'm busy next week, but I'm not gone for good".

    So I'd recommend something like
    1) if gone for 1 week with no warning, play them as an NPC in a way that doesn't harm the character (character is busy on something else, or character is there but doesn't expend limited resources (like Holy Bullets) or suffer permanent injury (like Discord/death) if in combat. Allow player to rejoin with no penalty.
    2) if gone for 2 weeks, play them as an NPC and let the cards fall where they may. If no need to be in the plot, may have them be killed or leave town. Maybe allow player to rejoin, depending on explanation, etc.
    I think In Nomine is a good system for NPCing a PC, since you can say they got recalled by their Superior for some important side mission. Many other games don't have good ways to do it that don't break verisimilitude.

    Whether or not xp penalties can happen should probably be case-by-case. If someone had a real emergency, I can see no penalty for a 1-week absence. Part of that is that a less effective fellow PC hurts the effectiveness of the team as a whole. It seems way less important in this system than, say, D&D, but for a D&D analogy: if I got to level 5, I'd want my teammates also at level 5 so they can contribute equally; it's not fair to me if one guy is level 3 since he missed a few scenes.

    I say 1 week/2 week due to the posting time we have here, and since your initial recruitment did state fairly frequent posting. In most other games, I'd extend those times, but we were told what we were signing up for when we signed up for it. If you want to keep the pace really rapid, maybe shorten that to half a week & a week, but that seems a bit too harsh for sudden changes.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    I'll apologize in advance for disappearing for days at a time. I'll never be gone for more than a week-ish. My work schedule is random and erratic, changing on a daily basis sometimes.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UTC -8:00
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'm not a big PbP-er, but from the handful of games I have been in, the posting rate of this game is astounding. I figure posting will get a tad less frequent as the 'new game' excitement wears off (and maybe that's what we've seen in the last half-week), but posting every day or two is really great.
    For me, it was less the "'new game' excitement [wearing] off" than writer's block, but I've been communicating with Erulasto about it the entire time. I'm looking forward to the new scene starting, which will hopefully help with that.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-04-09 at 09:50 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by XIII, IC thread
    A small part of him hoped so, a part that yearned for the cleansing of this horrid place by the glorious flames of Gabriel.
    If Khalil ever wants help in a fight, feel free to call on Haralambos. I reckon the two of them are on friendly terms: most fairly young, militant, and enjoy fighting demons. If you're comfortable with it, we can say they've hung out and hunted demonspawn a couple times.

    Note: I originally posted this in the IC thread by mistake, but was able to delete it from there.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Failed Phantasm View Post
    For me, it was less the "'new game' excitement [wearing] off" than writer's block, but I've been communicating with Erulasto about it the entire time. I'm looking forward to the new scene starting, which will hopefully help with that.
    Writer's block afflicts us all at some point. And a busy scene like this one can easily become overwhelming. For the sake of continuity, though, could you give us a quick summary of Jathiriel's reaction to the events? Like Adele and Sarah's attempts at friendship, for example. I'll probably need to know that later.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UTC -8:00
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    I thought I had responded to Sarah's overtures in this post but, as far as I can tell, you never followed up on his admitting that he was a Balseraph so I sort of stalled out there. It was a genuine sign of trust since his Band is the elephant in the room, but as the rest of his interactions show (I hope), he's not very good at telling the truth without being abrasive, even if only inadvertently. If I missed something, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

    As for Adele:
    Quote Originally Posted by Failed Phantasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto
    Would he have taken the phone from Adele?
    Yes, but he'd interpret Adele's offer as "use this if and only if you want to contact me", so he's not likely to keep the phone on his person at all times. He has to consider how vulnerable it makes him to being tracked by Servitors of Jean and/or Vapula (and he's still pretty paranoid, of course). If you need it to ring at the time and place he's likely to pick up, assume it's in a drawer in Mercy's shop somewhere.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-04-09 at 11:34 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Failed Phantasm View Post
    I thought I had responded to Sarah's overtures in this post but, as far as I can tell, you never followed up on his admitting that he was a Balseraph so I sort of stalled out there. It was a genuine sign of trust since his Band is the elephant in the room, but as the rest of his interactions show (I hope), he's not very good at telling the truth without being abrasive, even if only inadvertently. If I missed something, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.
    Wait, the 'six eyes and no thumbs' remark was an admission to being a Balseraph? I completely missed that. Maybe that's for the best, though. Even if I'd caught the reference, Sarah would probably have misinterpreted it. To her, 'six eyes and no thumbs' + 'get out while you still can' equals Shedim.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-04-09 at 12:23 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    If Khalil ever wants help in a fight, feel free to call on Haralambos. I reckon the two of them are on friendly terms: most fairly young, militant, and enjoy fighting demons. If you're comfortable with it, we can say they've hung out and hunted demonspawn a couple times.

    Note: I originally posted this in the IC thread by mistake, but was able to delete it from there.
    I'm totally down. Training and sparring partners for sure, and I don't imagine Khalil would say no to being brought along for a hunt. I'd love nothing more than to establish tactics that capitalize on their strengths. Also, Khalil's work as a gumshoe could at times benefit Haralambos on his hunts. I think its... A match made in heaven.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UTC -8:00
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Wait, the 'six eyes and no thumbs' remark was an admission to being a Balseraph? I completely missed that. Maybe that's for the best, though. Even if I'd caught the reference, Sarah would probably have misinterpreted it. To her, 'six eyes and no thumbs' + 'get out while you still can' equals Shedim.
    'Get out while you still can' was a thought, not spoken dialogue, so I don't think Sarah would have been privy to it. Otherwise, "Wait, that works just as well for a Shedim" occurred to me while I was on the bus just now. I would think Shedim have thumbs in celestial form on account of being inchoate clouds of appendages and organs, but I'm barely familiar with them to begin with.

    He wasn't any better at admitting he was a Balseraph to Mercy in his interview. "I used to be a Seraph" was as close as he could get, even with her.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-04-09 at 01:18 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Erulasto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Edit: I had this whole big spiel and then I realized in the time it took to write it most of you had responded to each other already without the need of my input. Hehehe

    The next post will be up within a couple hours.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-04-09 at 12:39 PM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Failed Phantasm View Post
    'Get out while you still can' was a thought, not spoken dialogue, so I don't think Sarah would have been privy to it. Otherwise, "Wait, that works just as well for a Shedim" occurred to me while I was on the bus just now. I would think Shedim have thumbs in celestial form on account of being inchoate clouds of appendages and organs, but I'm barely familiar with them to begin with.

    He wasn't any better at admitting he was a Balseraph to Mercy in his interview. "I used to be a Seraph" was as close as he could get, even with her.


    EDIT: He's a wreck, in case it wasn't clear.
    Come to think of it, the description might also fit a few of the more freakish Djinn. Regardless, I think this OOC accident actually turned out fine IC. Jathiriel's heartfelt confession sailed right over Sarah's head, because he couldn't bring himself to say it plainly. That's pretty appropriate.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UTC -8:00
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Very true! I think I'll go back and edit his "get out while you still can" from thought into a whisper since Sarah hearing it makes the exchange work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Sarah will use her Resonance on Bethany {TN 9}: (3d6)[6][1][4](11)

    Edit: Success.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-04-09 at 03:27 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    I like that 6 on my Resonance for Colton. Let me know what is true to the Symphony, not just that dude.

    And what is the stance on killing at the Gravel Pits?
    By the way, if combat starts, Harry plans to just attack & dodge unless he starts losing. I'm fine with you doing 2 or 3 rounds of combat in the same post to speed things up, and feel free to roll for me to expedite things. (I'll pre-roll a few attacks if you prefer.)

    ----
    thoughts on the overall plot

    It's unlikely the demons will try to kill the humans, unless the angelic goal is close to being achieved. I reckon more likely they are to be brought to their Fate.

    So 5 mortals.
    Malcolm. Do you think the jerk-girl who teases him is a demon or under demonic influence. We know demons are watching him.
    Bethany. She's probably one of the Five, with the videos meant to make her achieve her Fate (or at least avoid her Destiny).
    I'm guessing the Pierse girl Haralambos saw is important. When/if that criminal gets free, she's important.
    And the girl Khalil is hoping to save is probably one. Or her brother. She seems close to her Fate as is.
    ...leaves one more, right? I wonder if it might BE the criminal hoping to kill Pierse. Do we know if the Prophets/the Five are supposed to be teenagers?

    I reckon the Tether of Fate is a bigger deal than we know, so that demon posing as a housecat is probably a big player. Maybe that's how our Renegade PC plays in.

    Of course, I could be wrong about the above. But it's fun to contemplate.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-04-09 at 04:32 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Where JUSTICE takes me
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Malcolm. Do you think the jerk-girl who teases him is a demon or under demonic influence. We know demons are watching him.
    It's possible I suppose, although I doubt it. For now it's just as likely she's just a normal, mean high schooler.

    @Erulasto - Is there some kind of lore roll I could make to know what this black slime is, like if it's some kind of demon or ethereal or some other celestial thing? Also, when someone assumes celestial form, does their vessel just disappear, or stay motionless where it was before? Just checking so I know what my options are - Thankfully, I took some ranks in Singing, and Singing lets me hum to speak in pig-celestial, so Sam can hum to himself and whatever the slime is would realize someone in the room is threatening it to go away. But if threats don't work a celestial lion-man with a shiny axe probably will.
    Last edited by Siegemonkeys; 2018-04-09 at 10:33 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UTC -8:00
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Your vessel disappears when you assume celestial form.

    Quote Originally Posted by In Nomine, pg. 54
    When a character "goes celestial", his corporeal vessel vanishes, along with whatever he was carrying.

    EDIT: You also disturb the Symphony by doing it, which might alert the thing you're trying to surprise/fight (along with any other celestials that may be in the vicinity).
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2018-04-09 at 11:21 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    @Erulasto: can Haralambos, upon realizing that he's getting a strong reading from Colton, ask him (as they walk to the pit) "Demons are a tricky lot, liars, disguisers. Do you know if that guy really worships demons, or is one? He looks evil, but I don't want to kill someone who is just an idiot with stupid tattoos, even if they're mean. And I don't know if I trust those two girls. Pretty but cruel. They look like they stink of demons. Why are they wanting fighters? Do they work for Darkness? Are they really humans?"

    Such would be "in-character" for Madman Harry. Colton probably just humors him and tries to keep him from ticking off the prestigious guests, but his answer should resonate against the truth of the Symphony to give insight.

    With that, I realize that the Seraphim Resonance with a check of 6 is... kinda broken for info-gathering purposes. Even if Colton truly believes they don't work for demons (because he doesn't believe in them), as long as he is telling what he think is true or false, it will reveal the actual truth, right?
    I'm guessing the person has to have some idea to answer truthfully or falsely, or the Resonance fails to respond. Like, I couldn't ask Colton "Who are the Prophets dreaming of Cassiel?" and perceive the Truth from his confused stuttering, correct?

    I'm also wondering: do the demons know (or do I know if they know) that Madman Harry is an angel? Haralambos has been operating in the city for a couple years, but since LA has been in 'cold war' mode, it's mostly been fighting imps, Soldiers of Hell (if you allow it), and intimidating/beating up people. There would be occassional noise when he fights, from beating up humans, but unless an angel or demon is nearby they probably don't track it to him personally, but just know some angel or demon (or Soldier using Songs) was active.
    I can see the demons thinking he might be a Soldier of God, but being unsure, thinking maybe he's just a crazy, strong idiot. That's if he's on their radar at all. If you're cool with some level of ignorance, I'd prefer that being the case.

    BUT if they know, that's cool, too. Haralambos isn't subtle, and his persona would definitely attract interest from any demons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Siegemonkeys View Post
    @Erulasto - Is there some kind of lore roll I could make to know what this black slime is, like if it's some kind of demon or ethereal or some other celestial thing? Also, when someone assumes celestial form, does their vessel just disappear, or stay motionless where it was before? Just checking so I know what my options are - Thankfully, I took some ranks in Singing, and Singing lets me hum to speak in pig-celestial, so Sam can hum to himself and whatever the slime is would realize someone in the room is threatening it to go away. But if threats don't work a celestial lion-man with a shiny axe probably will.
    My guess would be a Shedim trying to possess him. Maybe you and Malcolm did well enough on your Perception rolls to sense it?
    Do Shedim and Kyriatos (sp) manifest multiple celestial bodies as they move to possess people?

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    With that, I realize that the Seraphim Resonance with a check of 6 is... kinda broken for info-gathering purposes. Even if Colton truly believes they don't work for demons (because he doesn't believe in them), as long as he is telling what he think is true or false, it will reveal the actual truth, right?
    I'm guessing the person has to have some idea to answer truthfully or falsely, or the Resonance fails to respond. Like, I couldn't ask Colton "Who are the Prophets dreaming of Cassiel?" and perceive the Truth from his confused stuttering, correct?
    You're mostly right. If Cotton says (for example) 'yeah Harry, he's a Demon' then you'll hear the Truth; Whether or not he really knows it. Note, however, that even a roll of 6 can be unwittingly deflected. Cotton could say something like 'he sure looks like a Demon to me'. The Truth of that statement won't tell you anything about the tattooed man's nature. A great deal of human speech is too subjective to really interact with Truth. It's a tendency that often frustrates Seraphim.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-04-10 at 09:49 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Sorry for the delay. Having computer issues that include the loss of all my desktop files (which includes all my important files); you can imagine my frustration. I'll respond IC at some point today. (And, thanks for the response to my questions on Cassiel, O GM! :) )

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    You're mostly right. If Cotton says (for example) 'yeah Harry, he's a Demon' then you'll hear the Truth; Whether or not he really knows it. Note, however, that even a roll of 6 can be unwittingly deflected. Cotton could say something like 'he sure looks like a Demon to me'. The Truth of that statement won't tell you anything about the tattooed man's nature. A great deal of human speech is too subjective to really interact with Truth. It's a tendency that often frustrates Seraphim.
    Doesn't that mean a Seraph could have some friends who he tells to say X several times, trying until he gets a check digit of 6 to divine the Truth?
    With that, we could find the Compass, the Five, and whatever else we want to know in just a few minutes. I know this increases the odds of getting an Infernal Intervention, but the chances of that (1 in 6^3) are way lower than the chance of a check digit of 6, at least for decent Perception (1/6 * Probability(2d6 <= Perception))

    I can see the official response being "don't be a jerk". (And I recall some ambiguous wording about getting a Seraphic headache from abusing Resonance in the Seraph mechanics section.) Fortunately, my PC wouldn't think of such maneuvers. But if I were playing a character I usually play... I can definitely see having a few Servants to use as truth-seeking devices.

    It is fine if something in the rules can be exploited. Just means the players and DM should agree whether or not it should be exploited and what justifies the lack of exploitation in-universe (or handwaving any rationale with a "don't do it".)

    You do make a good point about human speech not intersecting Truth clearly enough. I like that, for PbP, such enables the DM to avoid 'spoilering' the major plot via Resonance reveals. (I do want my Resonance to get useful intel from time to time, but not broken levels of intel.)

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Erulasto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Sarah will use her Resonance on Bethany {TN 9}: [roll0]

    Edit: Success.
    Sarah’s resonance is able to determine that Bethany’s major need for the moment is to not throw her dreams away by being forced into something she isn’t willingly consenting to. She definitely wants out of the contract, and is willing to go to some extreme lengths to get it. She’s really quite scared.

    Sorry for the delay in getting this to you.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Erulasto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    @Erulasto: can Haralambos, upon realizing that he's getting a strong reading from Colton, ask him (as they walk to the pit) "Demons are a tricky lot, liars, disguisers. Do you know if that guy really worships demons, or is one? He looks evil, but I don't want to kill someone who is just an idiot with stupid tattoos, even if they're mean. And I don't know if I trust those two girls. Pretty but cruel. They look like they stink of demons. Why are they wanting fighters? Do they work for Darkness? Are they really humans?"

    Such would be "in-character" for Madman Harry. Colton probably just humors him and tries to keep him from ticking off the prestigious guests, but his answer should resonate against the truth of the Symphony to give insight.

    With that, I realize that the Seraphim Resonance with a check of 6 is... kinda broken for info-gathering purposes. Even if Colton truly believes they don't work for demons (because he doesn't believe in them), as long as he is telling what he think is true or false, it will reveal the actual truth, right?
    I'm guessing the person has to have some idea to answer truthfully or falsely, or the Resonance fails to respond. Like, I couldn't ask Colton "Who are the Prophets dreaming of Cassiel?" and perceive the Truth from his confused stuttering, correct?

    I'm also wondering: do the demons know (or do I know if they know) that Madman Harry is an angel? Haralambos has been operating in the city for a couple years, but since LA has been in 'cold war' mode, it's mostly been fighting imps, Soldiers of Hell (if you allow it), and intimidating/beating up people. There would be occassional noise when he fights, from beating up humans, but unless an angel or demon is nearby they probably don't track it to him personally, but just know some angel or demon (or Soldier using Songs) was active.
    I can see the demons thinking he might be a Soldier of God, but being unsure, thinking maybe he's just a crazy, strong idiot. That's if he's on their radar at all. If you're cool with some level of ignorance, I'd prefer that being the case.

    BUT if they know, that's cool, too. Haralambos isn't subtle, and his persona would definitely attract interest from any demons.

    My guess would be a Shedim trying to possess him. Maybe you and Malcolm did well enough on your Perception rolls to sense it?
    Do Shedim and Kyriatos (sp) manifest multiple celestial bodies as they move to possess people?

    Okay, I'll touch on things as they come to mind.

    First off, in regards to killing in the Gravel Pit? It's an underground fight club. If someone is killed, so be it - the event organizers will clean up the mess and dispose of the body. But if it becomes a habit, then the Management may take the time to come and have a chat with the perpetrator. Too much killing is bad for business.

    As far as the Resonance goes, I like what Anyr said. I realize the Seraph resonance can be a bit arbitrary in some regards, so I've always just defaulted a bit to the notion of common sense in regards to its resolution. Sorry. I'm all for handing out the Truth for a lot of things, but I don't want major campaign spoilers from Joe-Blow in a dive bar or fight club. If you can snare the spoilers from someone who'd actually know about it, then I'd be more than happy to give that info.

    I hope that's not too much of a problem.

    As far as the Demons knowing? It's likely that your reputation will grow among the Demons as you dispatch more and more of them. But to actually find out you're an Angel they'd need to see you perform a Song, switch vessels, assume Celestial form, or - perhaps cause a ripple in the Symphony if you did something out of character for Harry. But for the most part, at this point, they'd likely think your some whack-job Soldier whose got a hard-on for finding and smacking down those you perceive as Demons. The fact that you rough Soldiers up as often as Demons may make them think that you can't tell the difference between the two. They'd keep an eye on you, but until you started making moves against the 'Big Players' of the Los Angeles demon community, you'd be a thorn and an annoyance more than a threat.

    But Heaven help you if they find out you ARE an Angel.

    Shedim can only possess one body. They lose the divine gift of multiplicity. That's what made Legion such a monster. He's the only Shedim to figure out how to do it again - plus he figured out how to possess more bodies than his forces would allow. Hence the name - Legion.

    And in the case of Kyriotates, they've still got only one celestial body.

    I may get you to pre-roll a few combat rolls and post them here or in an OOC spoiler - just in case. I'm kosher with that.

    As for your first point - about the conversation with Colton? I'll answer that IC.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-04-10 at 01:04 PM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Erulasto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by seatyger View Post
    Sorry for the delay. Having computer issues that include the loss of all my desktop files (which includes all my important files); you can imagine my frustration. I'll respond IC at some point today. (And, thanks for the response to my questions on Cassiel, O GM! :) )
    All good. I looked, and looked and looked and I couldn't find my response anywhere - so I wrote a new one.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Erulasto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Siegemonkeys View Post
    It's possible I suppose, although I doubt it. For now it's just as likely she's just a normal, mean high schooler.

    @Erulasto - Is there some kind of lore roll I could make to know what this black slime is, like if it's some kind of demon or ethereal or some other celestial thing? Also, when someone assumes celestial form, does their vessel just disappear, or stay motionless where it was before? Just checking so I know what my options are - Thankfully, I took some ranks in Singing, and Singing lets me hum to speak in pig-celestial, so Sam can hum to himself and whatever the slime is would realize someone in the room is threatening it to go away. But if threats don't work a celestial lion-man with a shiny axe probably will.
    There isn't really a 'lore' skill, but since this is a variation on something that Ramiel would have seen before I can fill you in some details if you'd like in a PM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    As far as the Resonance goes... I don't want major campaign spoilers from Joe-Blow in a dive bar or fight club. If you can snare the spoilers from someone who'd actually know about it, then I'd be more than happy to give that info.

    I hope that's not too much of a problem.
    No problem at all. That's probably how I'd handle it if I was DMing. Makes for internal consistency, less annoyance all around, and that tends to equal more fun.

    Also, sounds good on Madman Harry's reputation.
    Soldiers can use Songs, though, right? So using a Song isn't a definite marker (though I reckon they'd try harder to kill a known Singer than a maybe-Soldier.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •