The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1226
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

I remember reading a campaign centered around a Dark Malakim, they're extremely interesting but I don't know if a PC could ever swing being one. Angels and Demons alike want them dead, considering them highly dangerous and unstable. The rules and mechanics for playing one (or having an enemy Dark Malakim) are crazy, they literally tear apart the symphony for essence. Their discord also becomes a new stat, kind of like a new force to draw on for power. They have some other nasty abilities too. But, the lore alludes that not all Dark Malakim go insane, some get over their insanity after the shock of becoming an aberration wears off. They have a very hard time hiding since their very existence causes discord in the symphony, it's like they were never meant to exist at all... Though, some (in lore) seem to think they may even be small bands of them roaming around. Some doubt they exist at all.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I haven't decided 100%, but I think in any In Nomine game I run, I'll just rule that Dark Malakim are just a rumor.

I do recall reading about how they work a good while ago. Don't remember the details, but it was a neat idea. If terrible for a PC.

EDIT: stuff @Erulasto
    In the next post or here, would you mind posting what Songs, to Selena's knowledge, that Caul and Adaniphel know? Plus how they tend to react to danger (e.g., would Caul likely run, fight, or do defensive Songs like Harmony or Shields).
    It makes sense for Harry to ask during this conversation or on a car drive wherever we go from here, but it doesn't work easily to put it into the narrative.

Also, some chance I won't have internet tomorrow. I'm flying back home from the west coast and gonna be pretty busy with kids during the day and probably exhausted tomorrow night. (But, knowing me, I'll likely check here after the kids are asleep regardless of how tired I am.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-09-06 at 03:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry for the delay guys. Got up in birthdaying and other stuff.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the untimely delay folks. Someone damaged something in my neighborhood and we (me and a number of neighbors) lost access to phone, TV and internet. Unfortunately I share a data plan on my phone with my kids so it's not always condusive to make posts from my phone. Hehe
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

If Tink or Selena would cut Harry off before he says more about Dancourt, he looks confused, shrugs, and sends Tink back to fetch the journal, ignoring whatever look the Mecurian gives him. So cut off my post early if needed.

Posting this as it occurred to me that if it wasn't just everyone forgot to talk about Dancourt (e.g., he's hiding well), Mercy may have set it up so that he stays hidden. Harry wouldn't quite grasp that yet, but he'd trust his friends if he gets a hint about being quiet to Judgement.

And he lets Jason tag along if Mercy isn't there. I mainly wanted to get Jason away from Judgement for the time-being. Of course he'd love it if Jason helps out with killing, but Harry doesn't really expect it. Dude's hanging out at a Tether to Flowers, after all.

---

On a plan for snagging Caul... Haralambos couldn't think of this IC -- too much guile and Precision -- but what seems best to me is if Selena calls Colby and says something like, "I'm in trouble. Yeah, I know Madison is looking for me, but it'd be too dangerous to see her now. I know you and I don't show it much, but we are friends. I have something I want to tell you, show you. Why I'm avoiding Madison is part of it. And, if you can, bring Corgi. It'd be good for The Game to be there, dangerous as they can be."

I think that'd avoid any dissonance with Marc's Word, as he truly is trying to show him something.

Of course, as GM you can put whatever plan into her you wish, but I wanted to offer that to perhaps save you a bit of thinking time.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

Plan on getting my post in tomorrow!

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Troll in the Playground

As for me, I've been waiting for Kat to act first. But if Ross is having trouble, I could have Sarah take more initiative.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey folks,

My apologies for the delay in the next IC post. I'd gotten most of it written up, but being Friday the 13th, and a full moon, our ER is just poppin' busy. I should have it up Saturday.

As for the flow of Sarah and Kat, now that Evexxiel has Kat's number I figure the two Angels will be aiming to catch him a bit later? That's my understanding, of course. What sort of time frame are Kat and Sarah looking at to trap him?

Apologies again!

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    As for the flow of Sarah and Kat, now that Evexxiel has Kat's number I figure the two Angels will be aiming to catch him a bit later? That's my understanding, of course. What sort of time frame are Kat and Sarah looking at to trap him?
    Well, there seems little point in staying subtle. Evexxiel clearly knows he's being lured. So we might as well invite him before he gets the chance to make arrangements.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Well, there seems little point in staying subtle. Evexxiel clearly knows he's being lured. So we might as well invite him before he gets the chance to make arrangements.
    With how his attention was drawn to Kat, he should assume she's a celestial. Right? Not exactly remembering how that part went down.

If there's any chance he think she's human, or at least that think she doesn't know what he is, he might show up at Babylon if he call her, Kat lets it go to voicemail, then texts him back saying she's drunk at Babylon. Sure, sounds like a trap, but a demon might be conceited enough to think the girl just wants him and he shows up.

Seems likely to avoid him saying to go to somewhere else, like he could have done if Kat had said "my shift's over; let's go to Babylon now".

EDIT: I'm not advising against not-subtle. Rather tired now and realized some of what I wrote mighta come off a criticism. Not intended as such.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-09-14 at 09:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Erulasto, if Louis Dancourt is still at Mercy's and asks to come along, Harry would allow it. It sounds like the Elohite isn't actively working to arrest Dancourt as long as Dancourt isn't in his protection.

I'm going to make a small edit to that effect. I'm just eager to get to another scene.

Though not sure where to stash Dancourt. Don't really want to become human yet -- the idea of a pigeon flinging a cat onto Korganeth's head has good ambush potential -- but I guess at the worst he can stay in Selena's car. If Harry is watching him, will probably eventually stash him in the spare apartment renting for Famine. [sarcasm]That seems like a flawless idea[/sarcasm].
    Though asking Famine to kill Dancourt if he tries to escape, and Dancourt to call Harry if Famine tries anything funny... seems an odd way of keeping tabs on dangerous folk.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-09-15 at 08:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ettin in the Playground

Apologies for the slow posting. Part of a Creative Writing group and it is both keeping me busy and draining my... um... creativity.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Dissonance question: if you get a note of dissonance, succeeding on your dissonance roll gives you another note. So, in effect, a best case scenario is one dissonant action giving 2 notes of dissonance. Correct?

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Dissonance question: if you get a note of dissonance, succeeding on your dissonance roll gives you another note. So, in effect, a best case scenario is one dissonant action giving 2 notes of dissonance. Correct?
    No. You only gain 1. When the rules say 'another note', they mean 'in addition to the dissonance you already had'.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

If you go celestial while carrying your cell phone, so it no longer 'exists' at the moment like the rest of your gear and your vessel, what happens if someone calls you?

My guess is go to voicemail like if the phone is off. But I don't know what happens in real life if your phone is broken or otherwise completely inoperable (which seems the closest real life parallel to being shifted to some unknown state of temporary possible non-being.)

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Troll in the Playground

If you go celestial while carrying your cell phone, so it no longer 'exists' at the moment like the rest of your gear and your vessel, what happens if someone calls you?

My guess is go to voicemail like if the phone is off. But I don't know what happens in real life if your phone is broken or otherwise completely inoperable (which seems the closest real life parallel to being shifted to some unknown state of temporary possible non-being.)
    The exact response would depend on your choice of phone service, custom settings, etc. But yes, the phone would be treated as though it were completely absent.

By the way, Sarah will indeed go to the Howitzer. I just wanted to clarify that, in case someone was waiting for an IC post.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Another dissonance question: if a cherub's attuned gets harmed, they get dissonance. If a cherub is attuned to someone and they get injured (say, shot) but aren't fatally wounded, they'd get a point. If that person later died in the same scene/event (due to blood loss or other reasons), would they get another point?
    I can see that as GM-dependent.

Not asking for this game, but for a plot point in the real life game I'm running. Setting up an NPC for a "might fall, might not" based on how PCs react to him, after one of his attuned get killed in a shooting. I know I could DM fiat his dissonance and what happens, but I feel like letting the dice impact it.
    And gonna roll a couple d666s for him to see if he's Outcast.
    (3d6)[4][6][6](16)
    (3d6)[6][6][3](15)

EDIT/ON TOPIC: I am completely cool if it winds up being Harry, Selena, Tink, Dancourt, and Jason all leaving together. Or whichever of those want to come along / are still at Mercy's. I think I was a bit flustered writing/editing the last post, so just stating that to be clear as I have a minute to kill.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-09-18 at 03:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Troll in the Playground

Another dissonance question: if a cherub's attuned gets harmed, they get dissonance. If a cherub is attuned to someone and they get injured (say, shot) but aren't fatally wounded, they'd get a point. If that person later died in the same scene/event (due to blood loss or other reasons), would they get another point?
    I can see that as GM-dependent.

Not asking for this game, but for a plot point in the real life game I'm running. Setting up an NPC for a "might fall, might not" based on how PCs react to him, after one of his attuned get killed in a shooting. I know I could DM fiat his dissonance and what happens, but I feel like letting the dice impact it.
    And gonna roll a couple d666s for him to see if he's Outcast.
    Damaging a Cherub's attuned target isn't guaranteed to generate dissonance. Otherwise every paper cut would be a threat. Non-fatal injuries are only dissonant for Cherubim if they represent a betrayal of their ideals. Did the Cherub try their best to protect the attuned? Then failing to do so isn't itself dissonant.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Damaging a Cherub's attuned target isn't guaranteed to generate dissonance. Otherwise every paper cut would be a threat. Non-fatal injuries are only dissonant for Cherubim if they represent a betrayal of their ideals. Did the Cherub try their best to protect the attuned? Then failing to do so isn't itself dissonant.
    Ah. Re-reading the Cherub section, I see you are correct. I'd mixed up a couple things. Thank you.

It's also neat -- and scary, for Solomon -- to see that betraying one's friends or Superior can be dissonant as well. Or, at least, it seems that way on a certain reading. Sometimes for the dissonance stuff, it's hard to tell what's commentary on ideals and tendencies and what's actual rules about dissonance.

Like for Jordi: "Jorid's angels cannot allow themselves to be swayed by the concerns of human society, its rules or expectations of behavior."
    For one thing, it doesn't explicitly say that to be swayed is dissonant; the statement is just under the Dissonance header. Dissonance is explicitly valuing human life above animal (and maybe killing messily or painfully). Maybe it is implying "swayed" to a degree that they value humans above animals?

If taken really strictly, Angels of Animals become almost unplayable if they aren't allowed to factor in (aka, be swayed) by human society. In a sense, just wearing clothes could be dissonant. This seems especially absurd for Mecurians of Animals, whose job it is to convince humans to appreciate animals.

Similarly for Valefor: you can't recognize the rules of ownership and personal space. What if it'd help you accomplish a goal, such as simply not being a wierdo that freaks people out by being in their face and picking up stuff obviously not theirs? They sound like the sterotypical D&D Kender. Also, you can't really successfully steal stuff without recognizing the rules of ownership, as you'd need to understand the rules to know to discretely steal something.
    I think I get the spirit of the rule, and how a good GM could play it, but strictly playing by it seems absurd.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground

Like for Jordi: "Jorid's angels cannot allow themselves to be swayed by the concerns of human society, its rules or expectations of behavior."
    For one thing, it doesn't explicitly say that to be swayed is dissonant; the statement is just under the Dissonance header. Dissonance is explicitly valuing human life above animal (and maybe killing messily or painfully). Maybe it is implying "swayed" to a degree that they value humans above animals?

If taken really strictly, Angels of Animals become almost unplayable if they aren't allowed to factor in (aka, be swayed) by human society. In a sense, just wearing clothes could be dissonant. This seems especially absurd for Mecurians of Animals, whose job it is to convince humans to appreciate animals.
    There's a difference between being swayed by something, and accepting it on your own terms. For example, you mentioned wearing clothes. Servitors of Jordi have no respect for human fashion. But they can recognise clothing as a practical way for hairless apes to stay warm. Other behaviours can likewise be accepted, if they serve a natural purpose. Still, you're right to think that feigning humanity would be an uphill struggle. Angels of Animals really aren't suited for it.

Similarly for Valefor: you can't recognize the rules of ownership and personal space. What if it'd help you accomplish a goal, such as simply not being a wierdo that freaks people out by being in their face and picking up stuff obviously not theirs? They sound like the sterotypical D&D Kender. Also, you can't really successfully steal stuff without recognizing the rules of ownership, as you'd need to understand the rules to know to discretely steal something.
    I think I get the spirit of the rule, and how a good GM could play it, but strictly playing by it seems absurd.
    It's dissonant for a Servitor of Theft to respect property rights. It's not dissonant for them to respect (for example) a dozen armed guards. If something they want is protected by more than an abstract notion of property, then they're allowed to acknowledge that.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah I get the sense that PC Angels of Animals are problematic in most games, though a period setting suggests some interesting possibilities - imagine having a vessel as a 'wonder dog' in the Golden Age of Hollywood. Maybe Rin Tin Tin was working for Jordi!

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I get what Anyr is saying and realize that's the intent behind those dissonances... it's just the exact wording makes nitpicking the rules a bit of fun and trying to set it precisely a tad exasperating.

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Yeah I get the sense that PC Angels of Animals are problematic in most games, though a period setting suggests some interesting possibilities - imagine having a vessel as a 'wonder dog' in the Golden Age of Hollywood. Maybe Rin Tin Tin was working for Jordi!
    That's a fun thought.

I do like how some animals seem to wind up in Heaven. I never found any clear guidelines about how it works, just some references in passing. E.g., I think Zadkiel has swans helping guard her cathedral, according to her splatbook. And the part on Hell notes how the only 'animals' in Hell are humans who were Force-stripped in Saminga's domain and forced down the evolutionary chain. The wording strongly implies animals naturally exist in heaven.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Troll in the Playground

I get what Anyr is saying and realize that's the intent behind those dissonances... it's just the exact wording makes nitpicking the rules a bit of fun and trying to set it precisely a tad exasperating.
    Some dissonance conditions even play with this deliberately. Take Laurence, for instance. He requires his orders to be obeyed in both letter and spirit. This sometimes (particularly back when he was new to the job) puts his subordinates in awkward binds. He might say go to Fenchurch street, and kill the Demons meeting in the blue cafe. Only for the subordinate to discover that said cafe is closed for renovations; And that the Demons have moved to the green cafe next door. So in order to avoid dissonance, the Angel has to somehow lure their targets back into the closed building.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2019-09-21 at 09:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey folks,

Apologies for the delay. Been a crazy week with work and a sick daughter. I've got the next post pretty much done, but I won't be able to get it up until later today.

Sorry again, and thanks for the patience!

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

The wording strongly implies animals naturally exist in heaven.
    Evil requires intent, no? Animals cannot intend to be evil as far as I'm concerned. Except mosquitoes, gnats, houseflies and other flying pests.... Pure evil.

Take Laurence, for instance.
    Down with Laurence.

Hey folks,

Apologies for the delay. Been a crazy week with work and a sick daughter. I've got the next post pretty much done, but I won't be able to get it up until later today.

Don't apologize! We're all here and we're all on your schedule, and happy about it!

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a fun thought.
    Thanks.

Actually I think a campaign set around the early days of Hollywood from the 1910s through the 1940s could be a lot of fun. Sure we know that now (or at least in the late 1990s when The Fall of the Malakim was published) Nybbas is firmly in control of the cultural driving seat but back in the first half of the Twentieth Century Eli was still an active force and there was probably an almighty struggle over the Silver Screen. Throw in Blandine, Beleth, Kobal, Vapula, Jean, Yves, Kronos, Lilith... actually almost everyone could have a stake there except maybe the likes of David or Saminga.

I do like how some animals seem to wind up in Heaven. I never found any clear guidelines about how it works, just some references in passing. E.g., I think Zadkiel has swans helping guard her cathedral, according to her splatbook. And the part on Hell notes how the only 'animals' in Hell are humans who were Force-stripped in Saminga's domain and forced down the evolutionary chain. The wording strongly implies animals naturally exist in heaven.
    I could be wrong but isn't Jordi's domain full of animal spirits?

Hey folks,

Completely understood and thanks for the heads up. Real life comes first and I hope your daughter is feeling better!

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always thought it would be cool to run an In Nomine game set during a different time period. I had a friend in high school try out a one shot In Nomine set in the wild west, a la Deadlands. I played an Ofanim Gunslinger who hunted down Demons. It was a good time.

Or Middle Ages. That'd be crazy too.

Or even during Uriel's Purity Crusade. Fight off Dragons, Chimera and other Ethereals.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Based on IC, meandering drive a bit more to resummon his Barbs. Or Harry would fly out the window and meet her back a bit later. Either way, done well outside the park range. 5 minute singing time, as the pigeon sings and dances.

(2d6)[8] @ TN 6+3=9
    (1d6)[3] for duration (+2 since two other songs)

I've always thought it would be cool to run an In Nomine game set during a different time period. I had a friend in high school try out a one shot In Nomine set in the wild west, a la Deadlands. I played an Ofanim Gunslinger who hunted down Demons. It was a good time.

Or Middle Ages. That'd be crazy too.

Or even during Uriel's Purity Crusade. Fight off Dragons, Chimera and other Ethereals.
    A Wild West game, taking liberties with historical realism, sounds fun. I think I mentioned before that my wife and I are expecting a new little one early November. Once things quiet down with that, I might try whipping up a short game in a setting like that. I've watched a bit of Wynonna Earp on Netflix (though the latest season didn't catch my interest), and between that and what I read of Deadlands... well, a Saminga-based idea is coming to mind.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground

Based on IC, meandering drive a bit more to resummon his Barbs. Or Harry would fly out the window and meet her back a bit later. Either way, done well outside the park range. 5 minute singing time, as the pigeon sings and dances.

[roll0] @ TN 6+3=9
    [roll1] for duration (+2 since two other songs)

A Wild West game, taking liberties with historical realism, sounds fun. I think I mentioned before that my wife and I are expecting a new little one early November. Once things quiet down with that, I might try whipping up a short game in a setting like that. I've watched a bit of Wynonna Earp on Netflix (though the latest season didn't catch my interest), and between that and what I read of Deadlands... well, a Saminga-based idea is coming to mind.
    If I haven't already mentioned it, congratz! Kids are so much fun (and a lot of work)!

But Wynonna Earp was an okay show. Some pretty great casting. But that is a great campaign idea! Demon then, if Saminga-based?

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Troll in the Playground

Resonance on Solomon {TN 9}: (3d6)[3][3][4](10)

Resonance on Khalil {TN 9}: (3d6)[3][6][2](11)