The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (OOC)

Resonance for Louis Dancourt {TN 9}: (3d6)[6][2][5](13)

Edit: Success. Though in this case, Sarah might wish that she'd failed.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-05-04 at 05:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Resonance for Louis Dancourt {TN 9}: [roll0]

Edit: Success. Though in this case, Sarah might wish that she'd failed.
    If it at all makes sense in-character, please share what she learns with Harry. I think that could be crucial for what he's learning about Hanna.
    Though, I plan to have Harry touch base with Sarah about details of his arrest later. (I realize that's not the type of lawyer Sarah is, but Harry doesn't really realize the distinction. )

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    If it at all makes sense in-character, please share what she learns with Harry. I think that could be crucial for what he's learning about Hanna.
    Though, I plan to have Harry touch base with Sarah about details of his arrest later. (I realize that's not the type of lawyer Sarah is, but Harry doesn't really realize the distinction. )
    Hopefully he won't need her help to unmask the Shedim. There's a certain piece of advice that Lilim give one another: "Never use your Resonance on a Shedim". Even Demonic Daughters are utterly disgusted by that Band's Needs. I dread to think how a Bright would react.

I forget if demons understand Celestial or not. If they do, he says it in the angelic tongue. If not, whispered English.
    The Celestial tongue normally can't be spoken while in Corporeal form. If Harry ever becomes a Vassal of War, though, he'll gain the ability to do so.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-05-04 at 08:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

The Celestial tongue normally can't be spoken while in Corporeal form. If Harry ever becomes a Vassal of War, though, he'll gain the ability to do so.
    Ah. Hmm... I could see trying to sing in Pig-Celestial, but Harry's not one to risk being misunderstood. Yeah, if he sees a celestial form, he just whispers in frustration.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

On top of Anyr's point, I know Demons can no longer speak the Angelic tongue. I can't recall off the top of my head as to whether that extends to understanding it any longer, though.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    On top of Anyr's point, I know Demons can no longer speak the Angelic tongue. I can't recall off the top of my head as to whether that extends to understanding it any longer, though.
    Demons can speak the Angelic tongue. They just dislike doing so.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Demons can speak the Angelic tongue. They just dislike doing so.
    Hmm, maybe I got it backwards. I thought that's why Demons had invented their own Dark Tongue.

Edit: Ahhh yes. It's incapable of speaking falsehoods. That's right.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-05 at 10:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, maybe I got it backwards. I thought that's why Demons had invented their own Dark Tongue.

Edit: Ahhh yes. It's incapable of speaking falsehoods. That's right.
    Bingo. The Demons needed a language better suited to their new nature. Heaven is the side at a disadvantage here. Most Angels can't speak or understand Helltongue: Aside from the ones that were originally Demons, of course.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Bingo. The Demons needed a language better suited to their new nature. Heaven is the side at a disadvantage here. Most Angels can't speak or understand Helltongue: Aside from the ones that were originally Demons, of course.
    Heh whoops. Got that backwards sort of. I had to whip open the book on my phone to take a quick look and see why my memory had failed me once again.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    [COLOR=#B22222][Disturbance was an attack. Many casualties, one of ours down. They threatened to target Bright-Lawyer and Flower Girl next. Be safe, stay vigilant. Madman, I'm on the hunt.]
    DM: based on timing, would it fair to say he gets this while on the way to Dunkin Donuts?
    If yes, Harry replies [Meeting one of 5. She may need protecting. If you want help fight, let me know.". He shortly follows with another, [Glutton no more. If Oblivion noisy this afternoon, probably me.]

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

DM: based on timing, would it fair to say he gets this while on the way to Dunkin Donuts?
    If yes, Harry replies [Meeting one of 5. She may need protecting. If you want help fight, let me know.". He shortly follows with another, [Glutton no more. If Oblivion noisy this afternoon, probably me.]
    Yes, that would be a safe assumption.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

I have tracking, but not move silently.

Agility-4
    Default of -1
    (3d6)[4][5][6](15)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I realized the twenties would likely look like a bribe. Harry didn't mean that way (just a nice tip to compensate for the mess), but I figured that would be a good way to use his Int 2.

Can't reply in full until an hour or two from now, but not just leaving her be for the day.

My bet on the traitor is Solomon. A couple things he said rang odd to me. Or Adewale himself, though I reckon the jerk is just a jerk, not a traitor-jerk, as nice as it'd be to punch him.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yo! Sorry I was gone as long as I was, finals kept me busy but I'm finally free. Did I miss anything big while I was gone?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

I realized the twenties would likely look like a bribe. Harry didn't mean that way (just a nice tip to compensate for the mess), but I figured that would be a good way to use his Int 2.

Can't reply in full until an hour or two from now, but not just leaving her be for the day.

My bet on the traitor is Solomon. A couple things he said rang odd to me. Or Adewale himself, though I reckon the jerk is just a jerk, not a traitor-jerk, as nice as it'd be to punch him.
    Adewale IS a big old jerk, for sure.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Resonance for Adele during the meeting with Inanna {TN 9}: (3d6)[3][2][6](11)

Edit: Success. This roll reads the Needs present at the time that that photo was taken. Also, the check digit takes a -3 penalty.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-05-06 at 02:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Did Mercy know about the tar-appearance of Louis, what could cause that?

I meant to mention that while listing what Harry was asking her about. (I was implying it with saying Harry said what she saw, but realized it wasn't explicit. Can we just say that was asked, or append it to before the good-byes?)
    EDIT: to be in flow, I just edited in a sentence to his talking to Mercy to ask about it.

By the way, I'm fine on being on "pause" until something in XIII's posts signals Harry where to go. But please feel free to post whatever he gets from Mercy, Hanna, and the militants at the school, as he goes to find Khalil.
    In case it wasn't clear, Harry is holding his cell phone in his beak. (Or talon... whatever makes more sense for a pigeon.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-06 at 08:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So, I was looking for the skill to roll for "deductive reasoning" (trying to identify the method of placement - haphazard/routine or deliberate/hiding - of the object under the bed), but I didn't see anything in the core rules to denote an investigator's deduction skill. Do we instead just roll Intelligence?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by seatyger View Post
    So, I was looking for the skill to roll for "deductive reasoning" (trying to identify the method of placement - haphazard/routine or deliberate/hiding - of the object under the bed), but I didn't see anything in the core rules to denote an investigator's deduction skill. Do we instead just roll Intelligence?
    AFAIK, there's no skill for deduction in general. Mental skills tend to focus on specific fields (chemistry, criminology, etc). Being generally good at all kinds of deduction is usually represented by high Intelligence/Perception. Having an appropriate Role can help too. They automatically come with ranks in the appropriate Knowledge skill. So when, for example, Khalil investigates a crime scene, his Private Investigator Role will often grant him extra insight.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-05-07 at 02:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Got it, thanks. :)
    Last edited by seatyger; 2018-05-07 at 11:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Intelligence Check (10) to infer information from things seen.

(2d6)[7]
    (1d6)[4]

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I can see many, many ways how this plan can backfire, but it sounds fun.
    Also, I hope this gives him some dissonance, for his boasting to Khalil causing trouble to come to him. If he dies, or we at least injure him and kill some of his buddies, I can see that counting enough for Belial's restriction.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I hope this gives him some dissonance, for his boasting to Khalil causing trouble to come to him. If he dies, or we at least injure him and kill some of his buddies, I can see that counting enough for Belial's restriction.
    If the Calabim gets owned here then he most certainly will get dissonance. For a Calabim, he may just convert it to discord since that's the metaphysical crack that the Calabim use to manifest their resonance.

EDIT: This is assuming he's not stuck in Trauma for being blown to smithereens.

EDIT 2: Just to touch on a point in your OOC spoiler from the last post Jeen, as absurd as it would be for a pigeon to carry a motorcycle the game actually states that the physical strength of a vessel is still determined by the Angel or Demon, not the vessel itself. A strength 10 Angel in the body of a little girl still has a strength of 10. Now, I may draw the line at the improbability of a pigeon swinging a motorcycle at someone, but if your strength was high enough said pigeon could certainly carry one. Though that would be pretty noticeable to onlookers. Heh
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-08 at 11:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I forgot to include the acrobatics part of the dodge roll in the IC post's spoiler. So here it is:
    Acrobatics TN 10: (2d6)[6]
    Check: (1d6)[1]

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

On a side note, I looked into the damage for explosions and couldn’t find anything on my first glance aside from a derivative site of the Steve Jackson games website with what appeared to be some house rules.
    The official rules for explosives are on page 116 of the Corporeal Player's Guide.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

@ XIII: using your Malakim Resonance on them could give some insight. Not pushing you to do so IC at the moment, unless you want to, but wanted to note it in case it wasn't on your radar. Its just insight into the most noble/ignoble things they've done (how long ago dependent on check digit), but that can be handy to identify how diabolical someone is (though it's no guarantee, as some humans are more depraved than some demons.)

On a 6 (though I think the check digit is too penalized at your distance for that to count as a 6) you automatically identify Balseraphs.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

The official rules for explosives are on page 116 of the Corporeal Player's Guide.
    Thanks! I had forgotten to check there in my haste.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

On an unrelated note, I've been in contact with Failed Phantasm, and they're being totally inundated with finals and research papers. As such, I'm applying a hiatus to them and will be - for the time being - playing them myself, though only in the barest of fashions - so the story can continue progressing.

The tentative return is the 18th.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Servants of Belial gain dissonance from being "burned by their own flames" (literally and figuratively), which would include schemes. The vest being something he devised as a protective measure against us during the meeting being used to kill him and other demons would count in my opinion. I wouldn't say his barbed words caused Khalil to follow him, but rather the atrocity he committed compelled Khalil to act immediately by following him. I had honestly hoped this was going to be intel only mission, but here we are. As a servant of Gabriel, this would bring Khalil sweet bliss. Hell, I can gain essence from burning them <3.

@ XIII: using your Malakim Resonance on them could give some insight. Not pushing you to do so IC at the moment, unless you want to, but wanted to note it in case it wasn't on your radar. Its just insight into the most noble/ignoble things they've done (how long ago dependent on check digit), but that can be handy to identify how diabolical someone is (though it's no guarantee, as some humans are more depraved than some demons.)

On a 6 (though I think the check digit is too penalized at your distance for that to count as a 6) you automatically identify Balseraphs.
    Khalil tends to rely on his instincts and forget about his resonance. Totally not a case of the player forgetting.

I had planned on armoring up depending on how many were left after the motorcycle bombing, but I don't wanna seem like I'm meta-gaming here after taking a shot.

Speaking of which, it was decided that form would have a physical manifestation, like skin changing texture or color? I will post today, planning on singing form and charging in while yelling warnings at Harry about the dead-man switch.

Another note: Shout out to Erulasto for his hilarious scene titles! Big Trouble in Little... Lakewood! This War Ain't So Cold Anymore (Get it? Because Im'a burn some heretics here in a second). Burdens of a White Collar Angel. Hahahahaha!!!
    Last edited by XIII; 2018-05-10 at 10:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    I had planned on armoring up depending on how many were left after the motorcycle bombing, but I don't wanna seem like I'm meta-gaming here after taking a shot.
    I think Harry's gonna start carrying his longsword in a cello case, sorta akin to the cliche of gangsters with a gun in a violin/guitar case. I might need to shift to human if I take too many hits, but it'd be nice for my human form to be well-equipped.