New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Ideas for acution items in a fantasy setting?

Hi all!

As you can see from my signature, I'm working on a story (Part I, or the equivalent of a first novel in a series, is actually completed now! It's 180 pages! It's 10 chapters! It's...the longest story I've ever written. I rarely actually complete anything.) right now. In the section I'm currently working on (Part II) there is an auction house that sells items directed both at nobles/the wealthy and adventurers. I've got some ideas already, but I'm looking for more ideas for items sold at auction in a fantasy setting.

Some setting information: the fantasy world the story takes place in functions off of video game-like rules: people have levels, experience points, skills with their own levels, etc. Socially and technologically, the world is a mishmash of anachronisms. Indoor plumbing, modern-style restaurants, cosmetics (and magical variants thereof), and also nobles that hold governmental power, swords and bows and such for weapons, cities/towns that function mostly autonomously within the country... it's deliberately one of those "there's no way this could have formed naturally" things. There are three main races in the setting: humans, elves, and beastfolk (animal ears, animal tails, animal characteristics like claws or low light vision). There's an Adventurers' Guild that functions the way that sort of thing works in video games.

So I'm looking for idea for items that might be sold at auction in a fantasy setting. Things that would work for a fantasy game (video game or tabletop RPG) or things that would work for fantasy worlds in general. Stuff for the rich folk to buy, and stuff for the adventurers to buy. The playground is a creative bunch, so I thought I'd come here for help.

Some ideas I already had:

-Artwork (magical and non) [would like ideas for specifics]
    -Potions/Elixirs/Etc. that heal/enhance attributes in combat
    -Cosmetic treatments that do things real world ones can't, like anti-aging creams that actually work as such
    -Magical golems with artistic value, like a cat-sized bronze dragon that moves and breathes fire on command
    -A device that lets you breathe underwater (think the one they use in the Phantom Menace, but magical)
    -Magic weapons [would like ideas for specifics]
    -Magic armor [would like ideas for specifics]
    -Magic clothes [would like ideas for specifics]
    -Jewelry (magical and non) [would like ideas for specifics]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Ideas for acution items in a fantasy setting?

The 500 swords of an adventurer trying to powerlevel their blacksmithing.

A taxidermied unicorn.

And a perfectly mundane apple crisp, which just so happens to have the face of a local saint emblazoned on it.

If all else fails, try slipping in a few references and perfectly mundane items hidden behind overly flowery names.

Also you might want to move this to world building.
    Last edited by Jackalias; 2018-03-24 at 07:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Vial of Powdered Troll.

Bag made from Troll.

Perfectly made "statue" of a medusa.

A set of power armor.

Eggs of unknown species.

Staff of Teleportation. Say the secret word and the staff teleports, and only the staff, randomly to some location in the world!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, but seeing this thread had this be the first thing that popped into my mind.

My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

An ancient, battered wooden coffin without a lid, with a trace of dust in the joints.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Hi all!

As you can see from my signature, I'm working on a story (Part I, or the equivalent of a first novel in a series, is actually completed now! It's 180 pages! It's 10 chapters! It's...the longest story I've ever written. I rarely actually complete anything.) right now. In the section I'm currently working on (Part II) there is an auction house that sells items directed both at nobles/the wealthy and adventurers. I've got some ideas already, but I'm looking for more ideas for items sold at auction in a fantasy setting.

Some setting information: the fantasy world the story takes place in functions off of video game-like rules: people have levels, experience points, skills with their own levels, etc. Socially and technologically, the world is a mishmash of anachronisms. Indoor plumbing, modern-style restaurants, cosmetics (and magical variants thereof), and also nobles that hold governmental power, swords and bows and such for weapons, cities/towns that function mostly autonomously within the country... it's deliberately one of those "there's no way this could have formed naturally" things. There are three main races in the setting: humans, elves, and beastfolk (animal ears, animal tails, animal characteristics like claws or low light vision). There's an Adventurers' Guild that functions the way that sort of thing works in video games.

So I'm looking for idea for items that might be sold at auction in a fantasy setting. Things that would work for a fantasy game (video game or tabletop RPG) or things that would work for fantasy worlds in general. Stuff for the rich folk to buy, and stuff for the adventurers to buy. The playground is a creative bunch, so I thought I'd come here for help.

Some ideas I already had:

-Artwork (magical and non) [would like ideas for specifics]
    -Potions/Elixirs/Etc. that heal/enhance attributes in combat
    -Cosmetic treatments that do things real world ones can't, like anti-aging creams that actually work as such
    -Magical golems with artistic value, like a cat-sized bronze dragon that moves and breathes fire on command
    -A device that lets you breathe underwater (think the one they use in the Phantom Menace, but magical)
    -Magic weapons [would like ideas for specifics]
    -Magic armor [would like ideas for specifics]
    -Magic clothes [would like ideas for specifics]
    -Jewelry (magical and non) [would like ideas for specifics]
    Here are some ideas:
    • A Crystal Decanter of Cooling, which keeps your drink cool and fresh even on hot summer days.
    • The entire estate of some loner noble who never kept any servants, including uncrinkling clothes, self-bleaching linen, stain-absorbing plates and a tiny air elemental bound in a very feather duster-themed dress. Bonus points if you throw in some items from some odd hobby in there.
    • An Unglooming Umbrella which maintains a comfortable climate under it, protects you from sidewinds and makes a very cosy sound when rain falls on it.
    • A Collar of Intellect for your beloved pet, which also bestows upon it the ability to speak common.
    • A magic vanity which shows you exactly where to apply your makeup for best effect.
    • Jewelry enchanted for extra lustre or to radiate light on their own.
    • A table enchanted to mirror the starry sky in its surface, despite clouds or daytime.
    • An armchair which perfectly shapes after the person sitting in it.
    • A bell which only chimes if its twin is jingled, perfect for calling someone's attention from afar.
    • A magic doormat which perfectly cleans the boots of anyone stepping on it.
    • Seeds for magic flowers which never wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Sorry, but seeing this thread had this be the first thing that popped into my mind.

[video]
    Funny that they call it an Italian auction given that the video is very Finnish...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Slaves are also available as auctions. Not run the mill laborer but people with specific skills such as magic that only they can do.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

How you ever looked at the site "Design Toscano"? They sell replicas for medieval, gothic, tropical, Egyptian and other fantasy decorations that can be used for game setting ideas (ie just say the chalice is real gold or silver, etc).

As for me, when I need odd things, I go with the traditional:
    tapestries, rugs, various spices, bolts of silk, blocks of marble, perhaps rare dyes.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalias View Post
    The 500 swords of an adventurer trying to powerlevel their blacksmithing.

A taxidermied unicorn.

And a perfectly mundane apple crisp, which just so happens to have the face of a local saint emblazoned on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNoNose View Post
    A set of power armor.

Eggs of unknown species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Here are some ideas:
    • A Crystal Decanter of Cooling, which keeps your drink cool and fresh even on hot summer days.
    • The entire estate of some loner noble who never kept any servants, including uncrinkling clothes, self-bleaching linen, stain-absorbing plates and a tiny air elemental bound in a very feather duster-themed dress. Bonus points if you throw in some items from some odd hobby in there.
    • An Unglooming Umbrella which maintains a comfortable climate under it, protects you from sidewinds and makes a very cosy sound when rain falls on it.
    • A Collar of Intellect for your beloved pet, which also bestows upon it the ability to speak common.
    • A magic vanity which shows you exactly where to apply your makeup for best effect.
    • Jewelry enchanted for extra lustre or to radiate light on their own.
    • A table enchanted to mirror the starry sky in its surface, despite clouds or daytime.
    • An armchair which perfectly shapes after the person sitting in it.
    • A bell which only chimes if its twin is jingled, perfect for calling someone's attention from afar.
    • A magic doormat which perfectly cleans the boots of anyone stepping on it.
    • Seeds for magic flowers which never wilt.
    All really cool ideas! I knew the playground would come through for me! Keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by Fiery Diamond; 2018-03-25 at 01:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The song of a fallen rock.
    The sight of a blind man.
    The feeling of young love.
    The memory of cherry blossoms falli g like rain.
    The taste of schnozberries.
    The yearning of a broken heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Any of the items that showed up in Final Fantasy 6 (3 in US original numbering) auction house?

I remember being annoyed late game, when I actually had amassed the absurd amount of GP needed to buy the "filler" items you couldn't buy. Sure it served no purpose, but I wanted that piece of trash.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A “travel case” trunk which opens into a magical pavilion like the create campsite spell?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

- A Wyvern Skull bathtub with inset gems and semiprecious stones (from Arabel, Cormyr).
    - A set of magically stoppered Crystal Canopic Jars (eww...).
    - An animated skeleton butler, conversant in three different tongues, and painted bright green for effect.
    - A miniature Sahuagin with it's own glassteel water tank, to-scale castle and fully functional catapult of flaming death.
    - A clockwork Pseudodragon
    - A set of what must be Gnomish Boots of Striding and Springing with the word "ACME" etched on the bottom and a 50% catastrophic failure rate.
    - An ever-replenishing Red Snapper. Very tasty.
    - The Complete Journeyman's Alchemy Set. (10% arbitrary bonus to potion brewing as long as supplies last.)
    - Research notes for incomplete spell "Hurled Flaming Kender of Doom".
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -