New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Curse you google and your imprecise statistics!

Simple question, asked in quotes: "How many Americans died from bladder cancer in 2016?"

I expected an answer to that specific question, at least from CDC or Cancer.net. Instead, cancer.net gives me an estimate of how many Americans will die from bladder cancer...

Not useful information for this project.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Curse you google and your imprecise statistics!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    Simple question, asked in quotes: "How many Americans died from bladder cancer in 2016?"

I expected an answer to that specific question, at least from CDC or Cancer.net. Instead, cancer.net gives me an estimate of how many Americans will die from bladder cancer...

Not useful information for this project.
    I think you are using too narrow of a search. If you just put "bladder cancer" in quotes, and tailor the rest of the search around it, you should get better results, because it allows for phrases other than the one you put in quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    Whoah whoah whoah. In quotes? Like, you were looking for a site that asked that exact question?

Google search (sans quotes): "bladder cancer deaths 2017". Second link: useful stats.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-03-28 at 05:14 PM. Reason: damnable typos!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

As a rule typing actual questions in to google is bad procedure. There's exceptions (most notably trying to source quotes that are questions), but they're few and far between.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Why did you use quotes?

Googling quotes is a pretty fun tool--I particularly appreciate it when I can remember fairly precisely some song lyrics or a snippet of a book quote and I want to find a source or a review that also enjoyed that quote. It's also useful, as others have suggested, for narrowing down a specific term that's comprised of a few more common words put together in a particular way.

If you want to do a natural language search (which honestly I rarely do except when deliberately trying to find funny results) just leave the quotes off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

In general, you want to use quotes for an exact phrase in search engines. Quotes find that exact phrase, and only that exact phrase, outside some possible minor variants. So a full question ("How many Americans died from bladder cancer?") is a bad idea because it will only look for pages which that exact phrase or maybe "How many Americans die from bladder cancer?" but not similar topics phrased differently. But if you put in the question with just quotes around the parts which cannot vary (How many Americans died from "bladder cancer"?) so that you're searching for "bladder cancer" specifically rather than other forms of cancer, you will probably get much better results.

You can also specifically try searching for keywords, again using quotes when a pair of words need to be together. So a search like (number of American death "bladder cancer" 2016) would probably locate what you want really well. You can also subtract terms (number of American death "bladder cancer" 2016 -Canada) if for some reason that one term is showing up in all the search results you don't want.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

As others have already indicated, Google is a search engine, not a question answering machine. The two concepts are almost entirely distinct in information retrieval research. One ranks documents based on their relevance to your input, the other tries to interpret your question to provide exact answers.

If you input your question into a proper QA service such as Wolfram Alpha, you will actually get a pretty good result for this type of question.
    Inuit avatar with cherry banana on top by Yanisa