New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IX

The Bloody Crown - Continued

In that dread desert, beneath the moon’s pale gaze, dead men walk.

They haunt the shifting dunes of the breathless, windless night, brandishing weapons of bronze in mocking challenge and bitter resentment of the life they no longer possess.

And sometimes, in ghastly dry voices, like the rustling of sun-baked reeds, they whisper the one word they remember from life. The name of the one who cursed them to their existence of more than death but less than life.

They whisper the name, Nagash.

OOC

Narcisa

"You have to go. Look, I'm from Savonne. The Tilean thug stole our food, emptied our warehouses. All part of his sword measuring contest with the Bretonnian and the Norscan. People like them don't care about people like us, and neither do the scum filling their ranks. They come here the absolute best you can look for is a broken jaw - and still see them steal everything and burn the rest. Believe me I've seen looters and they are not pretty..." She took a deep breath, then glanced meaningfully at the two young women before flicking her green eyes back to Stojan. "...But your daughters are."
    No-one had anything smart to say in response to Narcisa's point. The farmer and his wife looked at one another while the farm-hands shifted uneasily.

"Jovan," the farmer said to one of the younger men, "run up to the old stone and see if you can see anyone coming. The rest of you, pack a bag, quick now." He gave Narcisa a hard look. "If they're coming, we'll head north and lie low 'til they pass us by. After we lock everything up, of course." He seemed very convinced that Narcisa might be trying to rob him. "You'd best be on your way, miss. I'm sure the people up at Obrad's farm and Rockcross need warning too."

Sieghard, Ludo & Elsa

"You have fields that come harvest will feed Alvarr and the murderous savages he's allied with," Sieghard replied. "Cooperate and I'll allow you a few minutes to gather a bit of food for yourselves - Enough for a few days, anyways. The rest will be burned."
    The peasant woman looked devastated, but her husband pulled her away before she could stammer out any words. He clearly understood they were in no position to refuse; throwing together what little they could carry on their backs, the small family scuttled out the door even as the Thorns began the systematic looting of their little farm.

"Come on," Ludo heard the father saying, keeping his voice low as they passed the soldiers by. "We'll head for the river. Quickly now."

Some of the Thorns watched them go. Sieghard could tell from the look on Hanna's face that she wasn't entirely at ease with what they were doing.

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    What kind of... plumage... does he wear? Is his meat all stringy muscle, or all soft fat?
    Too ripe to tell, was Morrslieb's reply. Hanging here too long, feathers spoiled with rot. Maybe fine once, good colours. Early crows eat the fat, eat the eyes. Again he sounded disappointed. Ribs all open. Early crows ate all the good insides too.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-03-24 at 09:57 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IX

Ludo was unable to meet the eyes of the family as they left, instead turning away to help capture the pigs.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa didn't feel particularly proud of herself but she did feel a flicker of relief. "Which direction are those other two farms - and the next closest after that?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Narcisa

"Obrad's is that way," said one of the labourers, pointing along a narrower track that ran south-east from the farm. If Narcisa's sense of direction held then it probably led into the path of Sieghard and the Thorns. "Rockcross just a mile or two east from here, and you can't go a mile more from Rockcross without hittin' someone else's land."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa nodded in thanks. "Ranald the Protector watch over you and keep you hidden."

Mentally writing off the unfortunate Obard farm she turned and loped towards Rockcross. At least she wouldn't have to feign being out of breath this time!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa only

Spoiler
    Show
    A local guildmaster or politician, Elsa surmised. Someone who had objected to the Norscans taking over the town. His exact identity was of little consequence now. What she needed to know was where Rorik's main forces were stationed.

Take what food or rest you need, she instructed her bird. When you're ready, go north until you find a large rock nest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Narcisa

The farmhand’s words proved true, and on her path to Rockcross Narcisa passed by two small farmsteads where she could pass on her warning. Rockcross itself was a hamlet of a dozen or so homes, clinging to the side of a rocky hillock. Tracks converged on it from several directions, meeting at a dusty market square with a well and a drinking-trough for animals. An open-air shrine stood at the top of the settlement’s single street, carved wooden figures of the gods looking down over a weather-worn offering stone.

The elevated position helped Narcisa make her case – from up on their little hill, the people of Rockcross could already see the trails of smoke rising from the countryside to the south. One of the villagers suggested heading for Selsan for safety, and the others seemed to agree.

Sitting on a rock to rest her aching feet, Narcisa watched as they scrambled to fill up handcarts with their belongings, rounding up their herds for the journey east. She felt she’d picked up a good lead over Sieghard’s company already; she wouldn’t have to go much further to stay ahead of them. More than that, her thief’s instincts were itching. The farmer had been right, these people were leaving their homes unattended on her word. If the odd thing went missing, who was to say whether it had been her or the soldiers?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two questions:
    1. Does Narcisa feel like any pilfering once the people are gone?
    2. Is Narcisa going to return to the camp to sleep or is she going to stay out on her own? If the latter what’s she doing for shelter?

Also, I’m starting with fine detail to give a feeling for the raiding, but I’m going to accelerate to multi-day jumps pretty soon. Can you give me 1 Charm test per day for the next 6 days for Narcisa’s convincing?

The more people she successfully convinces to pack up and leave, the more news will spread throughout the Downlands of what’s happening, so you can get a +10 modifier to the test for each 3 successes you’ve already achieved. Today’s counts as the first.

Sieghard, Ludo & Elsa

The pigs proved a little more troublesome to wrangle than poultry. Once they had been herded out onto the track and the Thorns had finished going over the farm for everything that could be carried away, Sieghard watched as the house and fields were torched. The growing barley took a while to catch, but catch it did, twisting ribbons of smoky fire eating their way across the field.

As the afternoon turned to evening, the Thorns headed back west, looking for signs of the halberdiers. Norten’s men seemed to have made less progress than they had, but it looked like they had found a bigger place to loot. A large farmhouse in a circle of smaller cottages, its surrounding fields had already been trampled and burned. The buildings themselves looked mercifully abandoned – Narcisa had evidently done her work here.

Nat and Norten’s men were gathered round the north side of the farm, sitting around a burning barn as if it were a bonfire. The doors collapsed in a plume of cinders, and the men raised flasks and cups to cheer. Looking round as Sieghard approached, Norten offered up a big clay jug.

“Slayer! Look what we found.” Taking the jug, Sieghard gave it a sniff, catching a strong smell of apples and alcohol. “Big cellar under the house. Must be last year’s batch.”

Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, he motioned back towards the farmhouse.

“This place is a bit too comfy for us to go sleepin’ in tents tonight, I reckon. Stay the night, burn it down in the morning.”

Festag, 21st Pflugzeit

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    The next morning, Elsa renewed her contact with Morrslieb. The raven was already flying over the Uplands, searching the hilly green country for signs of Rorik and his army. A well-trodden road ran north from Putbad to Bunthafen, so Morrslieb followed its course. He said he saw more sheep than people – whether that was the natural state of the Uplands, or whether the locals were in hiding, Elsa didn’t know.

About an hour later, the bird burst in on Elsa’s thoughts again. Found them! Gold-hair and many furry men! Outside the rock-nest, many many men.

Interrogating her familiar to make sure it was Bunthafen he had found, Elsa had him pass over the site several times, gathering as much second-hand information as she could. There were men inside the fort, Morrslieb said, men wearing bright colours quite unlike Rorik’s. From what the raven saw, it sounded like some of Groz’s men were still holding out.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

20th Pflugzeit

Elsa politely declined the cider. "If it were me abandoning my house to raiders, I'd dump all my rat poison in the food and drink I leave behind. And then I'd piss in it for good measure."

21st Pflugzeit

In the morning, Elsa relayed Morrslieb's observations to Sieghard. "Some of Groz's forces in Bunthafen are still holding out against a Norscan siege. Do you think we can spare someone to bring word to Sforza? I'd like to keep Morrslieb in Bunthafen for now."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

20th Pflugzeit

Sieghard gave Elsa a dirty look then sniffed the jug again. "Doesn't smell like piss to me," he said, taking a cup and pouring some cider for himself. Taking a drink and turning back to Norten, he said "Sounds like a good idea. Was there any trouble from the farmers?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm also skeptical about rat poison being something readily available in-universe.

21st Pflugzeit

"Use one of Al-Makir's runners," he replied. "It's what they're with us for."

"Do we know anything about their numbers? Or how the defenders fare?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-03-25 at 07:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa felt bad about it but in the end her survival instincts were too strong. Better it end up in her purse than in the loot of Sforza's soldiers. After she was sure the locals had departed she snuck into a few of the vacated houses on the off chance there was something worth taking.

A rumble in her stomach reminded her she hadn't eaten. if there was any food left she'd grap a bite to eat and make her way to the next hamlet. Otherwise she'd have to return to the camp to rest and eat.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm Test #1: (1d100)[92]
    Charm Test #2: (1d100)[76]
    Charm Test #3: (1d100)[73]
    Charm Test #4: (1d100)[91]
    Charm Test #5: (1d100)[44]
    Charm Test #6: (1d100)[64]

Pillaging Search test: (1d100)[62] vs. 38

Narcisa isn't going to stay out if she can't find food. If she can and her lead is big enough she'll take shelter in an abandoned building. Otherwise she'll reluctantly turn back.

Edit: wow... those are seriously bad rolls.
    Last edited by RossN; 2018-03-25 at 08:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

20th Pflugzeit

Narcisa

The villagers had taken the more portable foodstuffs with them, but there was only so much one person could carry. Poking through their abandoned larders, she found a cask of smoked pork and a heavy wheel of cheese. Cutting a hefty wedge with her knife, she sat down to a feast for one.

Once her stomach had stopped rumbling, she looked around the empty hamlet for anything of more lasting value. The people here hadn't left much of value behind - here a ball of wool yarn, there a copper kettle that would probably have fetched a few coins back in the city. A clay bottle of some strong-smelling liquor, a set of pewter spoons; nothing more.

Stooping under the lintel of the cottage on her way out, she noticed a canine tooth dangling on a cord over the threshold. The locals had already been trying to keep death from their door - perhaps Narcisa was the best answer Morr's jackal could provide to their prayers.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those Charm checks are daily so you have Fortune Points to spend on each of them if you want.

Sieghard, Elsa & Ludo

Norten gave Elsa a sideways look. He seemed to think better of talking back to the Captain's wizard, and just took a long, pointed swig from the jug instead.

"No-one here to give trouble," he answered Sieghard, stifling a belch. "They'd all upped sticks before we got here. Definitely makes things easier when folk clear out in advance." He raised the jug to Sieghard in a mock toast. "Would say it's like taking toys from children, but even children fight back. A man could get used to work this easy."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've opened with a detailed look at the looting, but I'd like to take things several days at a time pretty soon; the main piece of information I'm missing is what Elsa will be doing with Morrslieb. If you could give me a plan for him that spans the next week or so it'd be very useful.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Sieghard and Ludo

"Do we know anything about their numbers? Or how the defenders fare?"

"Morrslieb tells me that the besiegers are many, and the defenders are few." Elsa sounded apologetic about the vagueness of her answer. "The raven mind has little use for large numbers."

"Would say it's like taking toys from children, but even children fight back. A man could get used to work this easy."
    A look of disgust flashed across Elsa's face before she could conceal it. "Well, don't get used to it. Once peace has returned, we'll hang anyone who does what we're doing right now," she said coolly.

She gave Morrslieb her next instructions: Remain in the area and keep an eye on the siege. If the men in furs enter the stone nest, or if they leave the place, I want to know about it.

She sat down to pen a letter describing Morrslieb's observations both in Putbad and Bunthafen.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Morrslieb is to stay in Bunthafen and report on the siege until Rorik's forces head west again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"If you'd rather face Alvarr and his savages with full bellies and high spirits, you're welcome to ride back to Savonne and try it," Sieghard said, scowling. He didn't care for their orders or Norten's comments any more than Elsa did, but her own weren't helping.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"Bunthafen's the fortress, right?" Ludo asked. "I wonder if there's a way to get some of this food there."

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Narcisa

The bottle went with her, though Narcisa didn't taste the liquor herself. She'd sell it to some thirsty soldier. The spoons and kettle likewise entered her napsack.

She was glad to leave, even with her hunger sated and her feet no longer sore. There wasn't a thief born who wasn't a little superstitious and the Jackal's tooth gave her the shivers. After she crossed the lintel she made the sign of Ranald just in case. Then it was on with her mission.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    FP re-rolls:

Charm Test #1: (1d100)[61]
    Charm Test #2: (1d100)[83]
    Charm Test #3: (1d100)[86]
    Charm Test #4: (1d100)[3]
    Charm Test #6: (1d100)[18]

Narcisa will mostly stick to her no-nonesense story.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"If you'd rather face Alvarr and his savages with full bellies and high spirits, you're welcome to ride back to Savonne and try it," offered Sieghard, earning himself a scowl from Elsa.

"Oh, I know why we're doing this. Doesn't mean any of us should grow to like it."

"Bunthafen's the fortress, right? I wonder if there's a way to get some of this food there."

Elsa snorted. "Not unless you can get a trebuchet within two hundred yards of the city. They're on their own."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-03-26 at 04:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"They must have some kind of passageway or something." Ludo said, unpeterbed in a way that made Elsa suspect his mind was elsewhere. "Every impregnable fortress needs one."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Elsa & Ludo

"The new lads might know if there is," said Norten. "Want I should ask 'em?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Can't hurt," said Elsa with a shrug. "It's up to Sforza to decide if we do anything about it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard shook his head. "No sense getting their hopes up unless the Captain decides to break the siege. Mention the idea in your letter, but I want nothing said to the men unless he gives his approval."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

21st Pflugzeit

Once Elsa had written her report, Rahim took it, riding off south at a swift pace. Loading up the carts with yesterday’s plunder, the three detachments went their separate ways again, spreading out across the countryside like the prongs of a trident. They had a lot of ground to cover.

Marktag, 24th Pflugzeit

Narcisa

Passing from farm to hamlet to farm, Narcisa did her best over the next few days to keep ahead of Sieghard’s soldiers. Some of the locals took her advice; far too many didn’t, wanting to wait and see the evidence of danger with their own eyes. Those who listened headed north to Alvarran or east to Selsan and the river, looking for safety on the other side of the water. Some just headed out into the wilds, looking to lie low in some safe spot until the looters had passed. Each successful persuasion left Narcisa with one more empty cottage to innocently look through; each failure left her with the uneasy feeling that she could have done more. It was crazy to think so, of course – if these people wanted to stay until they were thrown out on the sharp end of a sword, that was their privilege.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to continue pilfering the abandoned homes, give me a Search check for each day.

Sieghard, Ludo & Elsa

It didn’t take long for their raids to settle into a familiar pattern. Some of the people in their path fled, warned off by Narcisa or simply savvy enough to stay out of the way of marauding soldiers; others stayed and were evicted by force. These people had no walls, no warriors, few weapons – none of them were mad enough to try to stand their ground against so many armed men. They left trails of smoke like battle-flags behind them, and to the south dark streaks in the sky showed that Sforza and the Iron Company were doing the same. Rahim had returned with the Captain’s response to Elsa’s letter the day before; he told her only to keep Morrslieb’s eyes on Bunthafen and observe the disposition of Rorik’s forces. If the Jarl had any men elsewhere, he wrote, he wanted to know at once.

As Elsa had been expecting, there were few crops ready for harvest, but the two carts Abdul had given them quickly became laden down with plundered goods. They gained a train of stolen livestock, mostly goats and cattle. Sieghard suspected that some of the Thorns and the Volunteers were enjoying the chance to return to their roots in tending to the animals; he was certain that the whole company enjoyed the chance for fresh meat every night. Roth and the other survivors of the Savonne dungeons ate ravenously, and were quickly returning to a less skeletal state.

After two days on a north-east course, Sieghard doubled back towards the west, leading his looters along a path parallel to the southern edge of the Karst. Karlott’s scouting party had seen no sign of any forces coming north from the city, and Sieghard expected the resistance they would face in the western Downlands would be much the same as the east.

On Marktag, Norten’s men found a mill that seemed the centre point of the farming communities that Sieghard and Nat’s detachments had been raiding. Returning through smoke-blackened fields to make camp, Sieghard stopped at the tumbledown stone wall that ran around the edge of the mill-yard. Here beside a wooden gate that leaned open at an angle, two corpses lay in the dirt.

Ingwald stooped to roll the first body onto its back. It had belonged to an older man, with tangled black hair turning to grey and a creased, leathery face. He had old scars that looked like a soldier’s, and a heavy blackthorn cudgel lay not far from where his hand had fallen. He’d been killed by a blade between the ribs. The wound was small, but a good deal of blood has soaked into his shirt and jacket, seeping through to water the thirsty ground beneath him.

The second dead man was much younger and much larger – tall and heavyset, he looked like he could have wrestled Goran and won, if Goran had still been with them. He bore several shallow wounds on his arms, and looked to have died of a cracked skull.

Up at what was presumably the miller’s house, lights were burning, and muffled sounds could be heard of what sounded like soldiers having a riotously good time. It was a short way along a well-worn track to the door; inside was a wooden hall that would have made for a decent tavern. The halberdiers seemed to have done their best to turn it into one – they were sharing round the last jugs of of cider they’d taken from that first farm, and had tapped a big barrel of ale that must have been part of the miller’s stores. A chorus of already fairly drunken men were singing a local drinking song about Pieter the Bandit King, listing all the comedic humilations he’d suffered in his escape from the Reaches.

There was no sign of Norten, but two of the men he had appointed as his squad leaders were seated behind a large table at the back, enthusiastically banging their tankards along with the beat. One of them – Oswald, Ludo thought he remembered the name – had a young woman on his knee. She didn’t look happy to be there, but every time she tried to shift away his hand around her waist kept her in place. A couple of older women weaved through the braying crowd, carrying handfuls of drinks at the soldiers’ shouted demands. They did their best to ignore the hands that pawed and pulled at them, but it was clearly a losing battle.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-03-27 at 12:23 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

Narcisa

It turned out that checking rural homes for trinkets wasn't all that different from doing it in Savonne. Narcisa did always feel a twinge of conscience at snooping through an abandoned cottage but it was surely better she ended up with something than a Thorn or one of Groz's old cronies.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Three successful Charm rolls eventually, so three Searches:

Search: (1d100)[6] vs. 38
    Search: (1d100)[54] vs. 38
    Search: (1d100)[58] vs. 38

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa had Morrslieb fly around the countryside of the Uplands in search of any other Norscan forces, so long as the raven returned to Bunthafen by dusk. If the city fell, she wanted to know it quickly.

Elsa grimaced at the sight of the two dead men outside. Her quiet distaste for the grim necessities of war turned to cold fury when she saw what was happening inside the farmhouse.

"You let me handle this, Sieghard," she said in a low, hissing tone.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    So! Crown of Fire.

Channeling: (d100)[46]
    Target 8+: (2d10)[3][7](10) - Success

If failed:
    Channeling: (d100)[54]
    Target 8+: (2d10)[8][4](12)

Intimidate 30/50: (d100)[40] - One degree of success thanks to +20 Intimidate from Crown of Fire
    Fortune Point: (d100)[72]

Elsa muttered something under her breath. Her red hair began to float upwards as if underwater, taking on an even brighter shade of red. Within moments, her head was quite literally engulfed in flames and her eyes burned as if the inside of her skull had turned to embers. Several soldiers stepped back from her cautiously, glancing at each other as if unsure whether this was intended.

The pyromancer strode purposefully into the farmhouse and made a beeline for Oswald, eyes never leaving the target of her wrath. Neither the soldier nor the girl in his lap noticed her approach until she seized the girl under the armpits and shoved her aside. The girl yelped in surprise, but Elsa did not spare her a second glance. She kicked the front of Oswald's chair, missing the startled man's crotch by a hair's breadth, and sent him sprawling to the floor.

"Oh, look, you're drunk," she sneered. "Can't even sit straight."

She grabbed the nearest jug of cider by the neck. There was something to be said about magic, but the heft of a blunt object in her hand gave her a kind of satisfaction that a fireball could not quite match.

"It's a pity all women aren't helpless, isn't it? How's a miserable excuse for a man supposed to feel strong?"

She drummed the jug in the palm of her gloved hand.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm gonna pause here to see if Sieghard wants to restrain Elsa, or if Oswald has something to stammer.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-03-27 at 11:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard's eyes lingered on the older man's battle scars and then the cudgel at his side. "They may have tried fighting back," he said neutrally. He wasn't happy about it, but a former soldier would've been more likely to try than most.

He became more skeptical of the possibility as they approached the home. "Say nothing when we enter," he said sternly. "Ingwald, find Norten. Take a few men with you. Ludo, Hanna, find out what happened here. I want to know what the women have to say. Be discreet about it."

And then Elsa barged in, hair flaming. So much for subtlety.

Spoiler
    Show
    I really hope Norten isn't off doing something that's going to make the situation worse than it already is. Sieghard did specifically tell him he didn't want the people harmed and rolled really well on the command test if that's worth anything.

Edit: I'm fine with seeing their reaction before Sieghard does any more. I had wanted to find out exactly what went on before scaring the survivors off and putting the halberdiers on the defensive, but that's gone out the window.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-03-27 at 10:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

While all eyes were on Elsa, Ludo instead made a beeline for the young woman she had flung aside, offering to help her up. "It's alright! It's alright! We're here to help. She won't hurt you."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to bind a key on my keyboard to create an OOC spoiler with a Charm test in it. (1d100)[97] vs 67

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Narcisa

As in Rockcross, most of the villagers that Narcisa could talk into leaving their homes took their most valuable possessions with them. She still ate well on the food they left behind – better than she ever had in the city, if she was honest with her own memories – and found a few things here and there that the peasants either hadn’t had the time or the presence of mind to take with them.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Narcisa collects a set of brass sewing needles, a bundle of 20 arrows (used for hunting), and (1d3)[3] crowns’ + (1d19)[2] schillings’ worth of stashed coins.

Elsa, Ludo & Sieghard

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Morrslieb took to flying wide circles around Bunthafen in the mornings and evenings, searching the Uplands for any sign of the Jarl’s men. He saw small parties ranging here and there, foraging to provide food for the besiegers, but reported nothing that sounded to Elsa like a concerted movement away from the castle.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just to be clear, Bunthafen isn’t a city – it’s a fortress, supported by a small village (population < 200).

The terrified woman shrank back from Ludo just as she did from Elsa, taking advantage of her freedom to run over into the very corner of the room. Scuttling back on his behind, Oswald backed into his overturned chair. The men around him had jumped to their feet, but none stepped forwards to intervene.

“Help!” Oswald yelped, trying with trembling hands to get up. Looking around the cowed circle of his friends and seeing no help coming, his eyes fixed on Sieghard. “She’s lost it! She’s attacking me!”
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-03-28 at 06:31 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I wonder what you could've been doing to make her do something like that," Sieghard deadpanned as he approached. He turned to Elsa. "Calm yourself before you burn the whole place down."

"Where is Norten?" he demanded.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Without Sieghard by her side, Elsa might just have given in to the temptation of smashing the coward's teeth. She did not let go of the jar, and cast a glance around the room to make sure the rest of the drunken rabble was now leaving the other women alone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Ludo & Elsa

"He's out back," said one of the other men, quickly. All motion in the room had stopped; all eyes were on Elsa and her crown of flames. Ludo noticed Roth and some of Groz's men sitting in a group in the corner, watching closely to see how the situation would develop.

Soon enough, Ingwald came back in with Norten. The man was sporting a huge, shining black eye; as Elsa turned towards him he winced in the light.

"What's going on?" he asked, looking to Sieghard for explanation. "Why is she..." He raised his fingers above his head and waggled them to emulate the effect of the spell.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-03-28 at 07:57 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"She gets that way when she's angry," Sieghard replied as though it was completely unremarkable. "Your orders were to burn farmers' fields, not to turn their wives and daughters into your personal barmaids. Explain what happened here. Start with your eye." He was beginning to piece some of it together, but he wanted to know the full story.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-03-28 at 07:15 PM.