New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IX

Elsa knew at once that they were treading on dangerous ground. The Norscans were badly outnumbered, but that made them all the more dangerous, since it meant they were desperate. And Hakon, despite his bandaged hand, had managed to climb the wall of the keep. Thankfully Klammenberg was nowhere to be seen. Were he here, surely he would have been the first to get inside this room. As for the dark-haired bow-woman, she was an unknown quantity. Adelbert claimed she was his ally, but how would she react once the fighting began? Would she loose that arrow in self-defense?

But Elsa's main concerns were the familiar-looking man with the great axe who'd been so intend on killing her at the Burning Hill... and the book itself. How much of a consciousness did the book have, exactly? Could it tell friend from foe, or did it simply lash out at whoever tried to harm it?

To Hakon's threat of destroying the book, she only scoffed. "You think I haven't tried that before? If you know how to destroy it, I would be ever so grateful."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before I start blasting, I think the other PCs deserve a chance to do something, if only pick their location for the incoming fight (Astoria) or trade a glance with Sanne (Adelbert).

As indicated IC, I think Ulfgeir is the biggest threat here, aside from the book itself.

LCP: Regarding the option to spend a Fortune Point to add d10 to Initiative, does that decision have to be made before anyone rolls Initiative, or can that d10 be added once the Initiative roster is established? If the former, do I still get to know my opponents' base Agility before I make that decision?

(Mind, Elsa isn't too shabby at Ag 44, but still. Ulfgeir is scary.)
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-11-20 at 11:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

"Where's the Necromancer?" Ludo asked loudly. "What did he tell you that book was? Because I think you don't know what you're dealing with. You're standing there holding a powderkeg and threatening to set light to it if you don't get your way."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's just the named npcs in here, right? Arne, Hakon, Ulfgeir, Sanne?

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ogre in the Playground

With the Jarl's blade held easily at the ready, Astoria stepped forward to subtly position herself where she could head off any attacks against Elsa. Copper eyes spied the book and couldn't help an involuntary shiver at the thought of the dark power the Norscans so casually toyed with.

"I would say he is waiting until this rabble does his dirty work for him. Drop the book and we will allow you to pass and depart unhindered. The offer will be provided only once."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Untrained Intimidate? Half-Fellowship, if I recall correctly.

(1d100)[21] vs 23

Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-11-21 at 04:37 AM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert entered behind the Tileans, his expression stern and sad. He could hear the book now, on the edge of his mind, a wailing mad thing fit only to rattle bones in the empty desert. Well let it moan; the gods stood with him.

"Give us Klammenberg's head and you can still walk away alive from all this," Adelbert said. He tried to catch Sanne's eyes. "Believe me, I honour my debts."

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Titan in the Playground

"He does," Ludo confirmed, "It's really annoying sometimes."

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

Hakon looked startled to see Adelbert. "You?" he said. "You're supposed to be -"

Before he had even finished turning towards her, the dark-haired archer had drawn back her bow and buried an arrow in his back. He stumbled, almost falling - but kept his feet. Still clutching the book in a white-knuckle book, he roared in pain and rage, the other two Norscans stepping forward to defend him.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

"Now!" Ludo shouted. His slingshot was already in his hands as he darted forward towards the injured Norscan, and he whipped out a stone at point-blank range that cracked satisfyingly into Hakon's right arm.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-11-21 at 01:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1298

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Even as Sanne is loosing her arrow Adelbert moves into action - though not rushing into the cellar to attack. Instead he makes the sign of the owl in the air with his forefinger and thumb and lightly touches Elsa's arm:

<'The Lady of Mysteries guard thy hide and thy mind'> he murmurs in in Classical, finishing in Reikspiel: 'Verena bless you with fortitude.'

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Channeling: (1d100)[66] vs. 53
    Blessing of Fortitude (Casting Number 5): (1d10)[3]

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

Ah good, back in my element already.

Elsa took hold of some passing strands of Aqshy and unleashed them upon both Ulfgeir and Hakon.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fireball with a ball of sulphur as a spell ingredient (+2). Magic Focus (double number of fireballs). Four on Ulfgeir, two on Hakon.

Channeling: (d100)[43]
    Casting: (3d10)[3][3][2](8)
    Magic Focus: (d10)[7]

Tzeentch's Curse, but spell cast thanks to spell ingredient + channeling.

Ulfgeir:

Damage: (d10+4)[5]

Damage: (d10+4)[10]

Damage: (d10+4)[8]

Damage: (d10+4)[6]

Well, that wasn't that great. I wish I'd gone all-out on Ulfgeir.

Hakon:

Damage: (d10+4)[7]

Damage: (d10+4)[13]

Okay, so... I doubt I've killed either of them. Unless an ally with higher Initiative softens one of them up.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-11-21 at 08:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

Astoria was moving the moment the arrow struck Hakon in the back, several swift strides bringing her towards the taller Norscan, Ulfgeir. Her sword flashed out in a sharp arc, as she sought to put him down swiftly.

"For the Eagle!" Astoria shouted, feeling the heat of Elsa's magic flaring behind her as she moved.

Show

Charge Attack on Hakon
    (1d100)[30] vs 72
    (1d10+5)[13]

Dodge Blow (1d100)[31] vs 56
    Parry (1d100)[1] vs 62 - I need to be in Parrying Stance, don't I? Since Astoria's not using a shield...
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-11-22 at 11:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo’s slingstone flew straight and true as the brimstone flare of Elsa’s magic filled the stuffy air, cracking into Hakon’s arm above the elbow. Still clinging to the book for dear life, the singed Norscan stepped back – straight into the path of Sanne’s second shot. A bloody arrowhead punched out of his throat and through the red tangle of his beard, a curse dying on his lips as he crumpled to the earthen floor.

With a yell of dismay, Arne threw himself at Sanne, trying to wrestle her to the ground before she could nock another arrow to her bow. Stepping forwards to guard his fallen leader, the big axeman intercepted Astoria’s charge, deflecting her first strike and sweeping back at her in return. In the close confines of the cellar, their long weapons were less than ideal – neither of them could land a hit.

From his vantage point in the doorway, Adelbert only had eyes for the book. Still lying where it had fallen, the susurrating voices surrounding it seemed to be growing louder. A worm-like rivulet of blood was crawling out from the pool forming under Hakon’s body, tracking its way slowly but surely towards the tome’s cracked and ancient covers. Before Adelbert could shout a warning, the two touched – and the book shuddered and fell open.

The voices fell silent. A cold wind swept the cellar, sour and earthy as if breathed from an opened tomb, and their torches guttered out. The chill it carried went bone-deep, urging Adelbert to just lie down, to give up the struggle, to rest. In the darkness ahead of him, violet wisps of light were gathering, growing brighter around the book…

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone, please take a WP test against being Stunned. This effect is re-applied every round until you pass. Resistance to magic applies.

The cellar is now in almost complete darkness. In these close confines you can still draw LOS to everyone else in the cellar, but ranged attacks take a -20 penalty. Night Vision lets you ignore this penalty.

Here are the NPC tests:

Sanne - (1d100)[61]
    Arne - (1d100)[11]
    Ulfgeir - (1d100)[36]

Since Elsa is blocking the door and they probably want no part of this spooky business, I’ll leave Domenico and co. out of it.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Titan in the Playground

"No no no no-" Ludo howled in terror and fury, and made a dive for the book, weaving around the haft of Astoria's spear.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo's plan is to shut the book and throw it back in the chest, then close the chest. Breaking off early because I assume it's more complex than just saying I do it.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-11-22 at 01:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1303

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert's face went white and he half stumbled against the wall, outstretched hand brushing the surface as he slid down. He tried to close his eyes, to look away, anything to get away from the hideous traitor whisperings of that unspeakable tome. Words of defiance died with an unspoken whimper in his dry throat.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa steeled her mind against the book's assault and let Ludo take care of putting it back where it belonged. She turned her attention to the axe man as she shaped another fireball.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fireball, Channeling, sulphur. I'm playing it safe this time.

Channeling: (d100)[34]
    Casting: (2d10)[3][9](12)

I'm aiming at Ulfgeir by default, but if Astoria (who comes before Elsa) deals Ulfgeir a crit that either kills him or makes it hard or impossible for him to retaliate next round, I will instead aim at Arne.

Damage: (d10+4)[12]

Damage: (d10+4)[7]

Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ogre in the Playground

While perceptive enough to realize the growing danger of the book as it unleashed some dark magic upon the room, the Norscan before her was just as much - if not more immediately - threatening.

Fighting past the book's power, the Estalian stepped forward into Ulfgeir's space and brought the Jarl's sword against the Norscan in a pair of viper-quick blows.

Show

WP test to avoid Stun
    (1d100)[75] vs 57 (47 + 10 Resistance to Magic)
    FP Re-roll in OOC thread.

Swift Attack
    (1d100)[21] vs 62 - head
    (1d10+5)[15]
    (1d100)[29] vs 62 - left leg
    (1d10+5)[15]

Dodge Blow (1d100)[51] vs 56

Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-11-23 at 05:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa’s bolts of fire screamed like damned souls, leaving streaks of amethyst light in their wake as they cut through the darkness. The wind of Shyish was building in the darkened cellar, drawn to the book like water into a whirlpool. It was growing stronger by the heartbeat.

The axeman gritted his teeth and shrugged off the spells as they slammed into him, singeing hair and skin with their wailing flames. Throwing himself forwards with all his great weight, he raised his axe to strike – but Astoria was quicker. Cutting a bloody gash across the man’s scalp with Rorik’s heavy blade, she reversed the weapon and hacked back while he was still reeling, half cleaving his leg from his hip. Blood gushing from the mortal wound, he staggered and fell back against the empty chest, nearly flattening Ludo as he did.

Ludo hardly noticed. His nimble dive had carried him straight over Hakon’s cooling body, his hands closing around the open covers of the book. A shock of pain washed over him in return, like icicles being driven into his fingers. Before his disbelieving eyes, he saw his hands begin to shrivel and age, the unnatural tide of years creeping up his arms towards his heart...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    WP test for Ludo to avoid 1d10 permanent S and T loss as touching the active book ages him beyond his years.

Pulling against the halfling’s grip, the book rose up off the bloody floor, the ancient symbols on its cracked pages beginning to burn with an unnatural amethyst light. The voices were returning now – not whispering but screaming, so loud that even the ungifted could hear. In the doorway, Domenico and the Iron Company men fell back, shouting in terrified Tilean – at the back of the cellar, Arne gave up on restraining Sanne and backed up against the wall, fear written plainly on his face. The Norscan woman wasn’t rising, the chilling aura of the book rooting her to the ground.

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the book’s display was intimidating for the others, it was downright terrifying for Elsa. She tried to control her witchsight the way her mentors at the College had taught her, but it was no good – the maelstrom of Dhar and Shyish pouring from the monstrous grimoire was too much.

All around her, phantom figures were oozing from the wooden walls, their empty eyes cadaverous faces crowding out the living until they were all she could see. The templar Bernhard, headless and hacked by orcish axes; his master Evatt, scalded and spitted on the broken spars of his mad landship. Fischwillen, his swollen head lolling atop his rope-scarred neck – and worst of all, Beatrix, her once-fair skin burned to blackened cinders by the fire that had consumed her. They reached for Elsa, whispering dry, rustling words as they closed in...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two WP tests please: one to avoid gaining an Insanity Point, another to be able to snap out of this vision. The latter can be repeated every round, but until it’s passed Elsa can’t see or interact with what’s going on in the physical cellar.

Adelbert Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the unholy power of the book washed over him, the world around Adelbert seemed to swirl and dissolve. The wood and earth of the cellar crumbled away, replaced by a desert of bone-white sand under an endless black sky. Strange stars shone down upon the pale dunes, illuminating the only structure that could be seen from horizon to horizon – an enormous stone gate, half-buried in sand and leading down into darkness. With one pillar of white marble and one of black onyx, they looked like nothing more than the gates of Morr themselves – but instead of the sign of the raven, Adelbert saw only the strange picture-writing of Meskhenet’s people carved in the ancient stones.

Two other figures were here with him – Hakon and Ulfgeir, whole and blinking in the pitiless starlight. They seemed to see each other, but not Adelbert. When their gaze turned in his direction they looked right through him.

An eddy of wind stirred the sand before the gate, revealing the top of an onyx altar. On it stood a pair of scales, broken and green with verdigris. Hakon stepped closer to the altar, and Adelbert felt the same cold wind caress the back of his neck. Looking up to the top of the highest dune behind him, he saw a coal-black jackal standing stock still in the starlight, watching the two Norscans with a hungry regard…

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert can break out of this vision and return to the waking world with a WP test, repeatable each round. Alternatively if you want to see more you can choose not to test.

At Ludo and Astoria’s feet, the bodies of the dead began to twitch. Witch-fires burning in his lifeless eyes, Hakon raised his head, reaching out a bloody hand to grab at Ludo. On Ludo’s right, the axeman lurched upright again, dragging his axe in a clumsy swing towards Astoria’s head.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hakon and Ulfgeir are now Wights. For those not currently having a witchsight happy-fun-adventure-party, Fear checks please.

Both of them use a half action to stand and then make a standard attack – Hakon on Ludo, Ulfgeir on Astoria. Hakon is unarmed and so will attempt to Grapple.

(1d100)[45] - missed, Evade - (1d100)[73]
    Ludo’s Dodge: (1d100)[9]

Ulfgeir still has his axe, but Astoria already passed her Dodge roll, so I won’t bother rolling.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-11-23 at 12:57 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo scrambled backwards away from the book as it burned him. "I can't touch it! I can't touch it!"

He drew his sword and waved it frantically at the Hakon-thing, trying nothing so much as to dissuade it from grabbing him again. "You see what you've done?" he shouted at the Norscans. "You see what you're messing with?"

18. - Top - End - #1308

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert looked with sightless eyes on the scene in the cellar, his mind and gaze elsewhere...

Spoiler: Elsewhere
    Show
    Was this the realm of the dead? Was he dead?

Adelbert looked up at the stars, his eyes aching to see any of the old familiar marks of the astrologers. Nothing, not even Vobist the Faint his own sign.

"Yet you are stars still, even though I know you not," he whispered to himself. "Wherever there are stars there is order and wherever there is order there are patterns and wherever there are patterns there is knowledge and knowledge is a weapon that breaks death. I serve the Lady of Mysteries; what is exile to the scholar but the chance to learn more? I am no daemon, born a slave to its master's personality and I am no necromancer made a slave to my own terrors."

Heart hammering in what he hoped was his chest tried to move towards the altar.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Probably obvious but no test!

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa stumbled backwards, eyes wide in horror, until her shoulderblades slammed in the wall of the hallway. She was not looking at the two dead men rising from the floor; it was as if whatever she was seeing was scarier still.

"Back! Stay back!" she hissed, swatting at the air in front of her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Gasping in horror as the Norscans rise from the dead, Astoria see's the lifelessness in their eyes. Reeling, the Estalian steps back at the sight of Ulfgeir now as some unholy abomination of dead flesh and dark magic. Astoria had never encountered such a display, and seemed - at least for the moment - unmanned.

Show

Fear Test
    (1d100)[80] vs 57 (47 + 10 Stout-Hearted)

Swift Attack against Ulfgeir
    (1d100)[41] vs 62
    (1d10+5)[11]
    (1d100)[64] vs 62
    (1d10+5)[6]

Dodge Blow (1d100)[85] vs 56

Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-11-24 at 04:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

The dead Norscan took no notice of Astoria's horror, swinging its axe in another sluggish, mechanical arc. Stumbling back out of its path, she struck out wildly, burying her sword in the side of the dead thing's head. Ignoring its split skull as if it were nothing more than a scratch, it rammed its axe-haft forwards into her face, sending her reeling with blood running from her nose. To her left, Hakon's body was still dragging itself towards Ludo, reaching out for his throat heedless of his guarding sword. Thankfully it hadn't yet mustered the coordination to fully stand, and the nimble halfling slipped its scrabbling grasp.

At the back of the cellar, Arne had backed himself into a corner, holding up his hands to shield his eyes from the unnatural light now radiating from the book. Sanne was finally pulling herself to her feet, leaving her bow on the ground as she fumbled at her belt for a dagger. Looking to where the bodies of her former comrades were clawing at Ludo and Astoria, her eyes widened - but she did not retreat. "Empire man!" she shouted, for all that Adelbert could hear her. "The book!"

It was no longer just the symbols on the pages that burned with that amethyst light - more symbols were etching themselves in the air around the levitating tome, hieroglyphs of violet fire orbiting its cracked covers. The floor beneath it was drying and splitting like a lake-bed in a drought, while overhead the colour was leaching from the timbers of the ceiling, long fissures cracking through the desiccating wood...

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    There was nowhere for Elsa to retreat to. Every which way she stepped, another phantom was waiting, the ghostly faces closing in from all directions. She had lost sight of the living, surrounded only by the dead. All she could see beyond the circle of whispering ghosts was the unearthly beacon of the book, growing brighter by the minute as it siphoned the Winds into itself - or had this power been locked inside it all along?

Whatever it was doing, it was more than a random reaction. The book blazed like a lighthouse in the Aethyr, calling out for its master. As the spectres surrounding her pressed closer, she realised they were whispering just one word.

Nagash.

Adelbert Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Adelbert struggled through the fine sand, the jackal began effortlessly loping down the side of the dune. As long as it hugged the ridge-line, it was almost invisible - a black shadow against the black sky. Adelbert was just grateful that its attention didn't seem to be focused on him.

Hakon clearly wasn't adjusting well to his new surroundings. "Another trick?" he shouted, his voice echoing from the soaring stone pillars. "Show yourself, witch! It takes more than some sorcerer's glamour to fool me!"

The jackal was closing in now - the two Norscans whirled to face as they saw it for the first time, reaching for weapons they no longer carried. Padding straight past them, it stopped beside the stone altar, its body breaking apart into a whirling cloud of sand.

When the sand coalesced, a man was standing where the jackal had been. Tall and dressed in a simple black robe, his face was hidden behind a stylised jackal mask - through from his folded hands Adelbert could see his skin was as dark as a Southlander's.

Who comes before the gates of Usirian?

The voice that issued from behind the black mask was sombre and deep. It did not speak in Reikspiel, but somehow Adelbert found he could understand it all the same.

"Not us!" said Hakon, spitting onto the sand. "Send us back."

Already your body is cold, said the figure, its cold, sonorous tones seeming to root even Hakon in place. Already its heart has ceased to beat. There is nowhere else for you to be.

Hakon looked around at the towering ruins. "Liar," he said, though the conviction in his voice was fading. "These are not the halls of my ancestors." He squinted at the figure in black. "You're not the red witch, either. Who are you?"

Once, I was a servant of He who would have judged you worthy of entrance through these gates. The figure passed a hand over the broken scales. Once, we would have weighed your heart and prepared your way into the afterlife. But the gods are dead, and their kingdom lies broken and empty. He extended the same hand towards the blackness of the gates. I offer you the only choice that remains. You may give your soul to my keeping. Or you may pass through, into the hungering dark.

"...If we walk through those gates," said Ulfgeir at last, "we will pass through?" It felt odd to hear the big man talk - in life, he had been so taciturn. "To our ancestors in the next life?"

The figure slowly shook his head.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-11-27 at 12:31 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #1312

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert was somewhere else...

Spoiler: Under strange stars...
    Show
    Adelbert struggled forward towards the altar, close enough to hear the figure speak. When he heard the words his eyes widened and his skin grew pale. He opened his mouth.

And laughed.

It was a desperate, bitter, terrified angry laugh and it felt like blood in a throat flayed raw but by all the gods it was a laugh all the same.

'Is this what you are reduced to Jackal?' He forced himself to take another step forward. 'Shadows and lies? Riddles for halfwits? By the wide world if you ever served the divine it was as a godly fool. I have channeled the spirit of the Lady of Mysteries, I have battled with a golem of the King of the Gods, I have traded words with a slave of the Ruinous Powers. What are you, dead mongrel dog, fit only to scurry in the the lonely places of the world? An impostor.'

Grinding teeth, he pushed on towards the two dead Norscans. 'Hakon! Ulfgeir! Hear me! By Verena and the truth, by Ulric and courage, by Ranald and cunning, by Shallaya and mercy, by Margileo and honour, by Taal and Rhya and life, by Sigmar and man, by Morr and true death! Hear me! Help me fight this mongrel!'

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

"Elsa... Elsa, we really need you now!"

As the creature lunged at him, it was briefly off-balance. Still almost unable to look at the horrifying thing, Ludo shifted his sword in his grasp, and brought it down with a careful chopping blow.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aimed Standard Attack.
    (1d100)[2] vs 28 - 28WS -20 fear, +10 aim, +10 Standard.
    (1d10+2)[4] damage.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa followed Ludo's voice like a beacon to find her way back to reality. Her gaze became more focused and she quickly took in the situation. She always knew the book was dangerous, but never had she expected it to actively raise the dead... Clearly it was the main threat in the room, but the only way to put it back where it belonged was to first deal with the minions it had created.

She took hold of the Winds and unleashed them at the two dead men.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fireball with channeling, spell ingredient and double number of fireballs. Four on Hakon, two on Ulfgeir.

Channeling: (d100)[33]
    Casting: (3d10)[10][4][10](24)
    Chaos die: (d10)[10]

Oooooh that's not good.

Hakon:

Damage: (d10+4)[9]

Ulfgeir:

The Winds came to her fast... too fast for her to fully channel them. Just as the spell went off, it spun out of her control, like a bow that was taut to the breaking point.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-11-25 at 11:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

The pain lanced through her head as she caught Ulfgeir's haft to her face, and she spat blood from her lips. The horror had compounded at seeing this thing take a solid blow to the head from a sword as intimidatingly large as Rorik's, and Astoria reeled back even further.

Show

Drat. Another failed WP test.
    That Fortune point would have come in handy right about now.

In case it still applies:

Dodge Blow (1d100)[27]

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Titan in the Playground

Pressing its relentless attack even as blood and bits of brain oozed down from its shattered skull, the dead Norseman swung its axe once again, aiming to split Astoria from top to toe. A hasty dodge left the heavy blade to bury itself in the floor instead - wrenching the axe free, the thing staggered towards her once again.

Hakon's body, meanwhile, had developed new ideas. Lurching fully upright, it pushed past Ludo, ignoring way the halfling was frantically chopping at its legs. Through the bloody tangle of its beard, Ludo could see it was mouthing a single hoarse, whispered word - Nagash.

The cellar filled with light and the dry roar of flame as Elsa unleashed another spell, the pent-up force of her incantation going off like a bomb. As if struck by an invisible hand, she careened back into the wall, all the breath driven from her body. The fireballs she had unleashed screamed into their targets, making the dead things stumble but not fall. The wailing of the book grew louder as it drank in the wild magic saturating the air.

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Her vision swimming, Elsa thought for a moment she saw crooked, feathered figures standing over her. Too weak, a croaking voice whispered on the edge of hearing. She was always too weak.

The figures faded as soon as she turned her eyes back to the book. It was fast becoming a second sun in her second sight, a seething maelstrom of Dhar and Shyish. The book was the real enemy here, not the bodies it had made its puppets - and whatever sorcery it was working, it was fast building to a climax.

Reaching out with grasping hands, the Hakon-thing gripped the book and turned towards the doorway. Even as it touched the covers, the flesh of its fingers began to blacken and decay, sloughing away to reveal the white bone beneath. The transformation didn't seem to concern it in the least.

Behind it, Arne stepped forwards and shouted its living name, his voice imploring. The dead thing ignored him, taking another step towards the doorway with the name of the Great Necromancer still rustling from its pale lips. Domenico and his men raised their swords, shouting useless warnings for the creature to stay back...

Adelbert Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    The figure in the mask looked directly at Adelbert. Ulfgeir looked over his shoulder, as if he had heard something on the breeze; Hakon showed no sign of having heard him at all.

A moaning wind whipped the dunes, stirring a storm of sand that blotted out the cold and distant stars. As whirling dust enveloped him, Adelbert watched the Norscans and the gates disappear from view, swallowed into darkness.

You are not yet among the dead, came a deep voice from behind him. Turning on his heel, he saw the masked man, scant feet away. He had not appreciated quite how tall the figure was - tall, and almost skeletally thin. But you are a fool if you think I cannot smell on them the manner of their deaths.

Looming over Adelbert, the figure stooped down until the black onyx snout of its mask was almost nose-to-nose with Adelbert. Before his eyes, the mask began to change from gleaming stone to living flesh - but not living for long. Sleek black fur greyed and moulted, flesh shrivelled and sloughed from bone. A grinning canine skull gazed down at him, grave-worms wriggling through its empty eyes. Tell me, barbarian, spoke the voice without a mouth. WHERE IS MY BOOK?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    WP test against gaining an Insanity Point please!
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-11-26 at 11:30 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

This is not how this had gone in Astoria's head!

With her heart hammering erratically in her chest, fear like she had never felt bubbling up inside and the horror of a revenant Ulfgeir before her, Astoria worked frantically to keep her sword up before her. With cold sweat on her brow, the Estalian darted in to strike at Ulfgeir twice more in rapid succession.

She had to end this. Now!

Show

Fear WP Test (1d100)[50] vs 57
    Guarded Swift Attack
    (1d100)[9] vs 52 (-10% Guarded)
    (1d10+5)[8]
    (1d100)[6] vs 52 (-10% Guarded)
    (1d10+5)[13]

Dodge Blow (1d100)[44] vs 66

28. - Top - End - #1318

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Lost in the desert...

Spoiler: ... but not alone.
    Show
    It took every fiber of Adelbert's willpower to stand before the thing. Every normal impulse in him was screaming at him to run but he still kept himself still. Somehow.

He found his voice. Reedy and cracking but it would have to do.

'Tell me mongrel-thing were you always so weak? You who claim to have served at the side of a god? If you were as great as you claim you would have plucked it from our thoughts like a crow stealing a seed from the farmer's field. Yet you battle merely with words. Well words are my weapon too, but only the second of my weapons.'

He gave Nahorek a look of burning contempt. 'Return to your wailing in the deserts mongrel and gnaw on the bones of hatred and failure. I stand here as the servant of the living gods. For they live still under different names and faces than in your day and they shall live still when even the deserts have forgotten your name. I know I serve one of them.'

He raised his hands and eyes to the stars he could not see and shouted at the top of his lungs: 'Ulfgeir! Hakon! Hear me - you are not this mongrel's slaves! Your minds and souls are your own!'

With desperation to save the souls of the two Norscans he tried to push forward.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

Not at all keen on charging the wight retreating with the book - especially not with Elsa there to stop it, Ludo instead darted in towards the animated corpse of the massive axeman, smashing his sword at it's head and torso in the hopes of opening it up for a better attack by Astoria.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

Lying on the dusty floor, Elsa propped herself up on one elbow, fury in her eyes. "No! I am not weak!" she snarled. It was not clear who she was addressing, though she seemed determined to prove her point. She gathered her strength to bring Hakon down once and for all.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fireball, sulphur, no shenanigans.

Channeling (assuming Elsa can cast a spell from a prone position -- if not, she'll stand up instead): (d100)[95]
    Casting: (3d10)[1][7][9](17)

Damage: (d10+4)[8]

Damage: (d10+4)[11]

Damage: (d10+4)[9]

Her fireball struck the undead norseman in the back of the head. As Hakon looked about to topple, Elsa barked at the soldiers: "Why are you just standing there? Make sure it stays dead this time!"

The creature righted itself, despite its hair and beard being burned black and its face having been turned into a mask of seared meat.

"Oh come on!"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-11-27 at 01:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: