New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IX

"Sforza's not a barber but Sieghard is?" Ludo said, with more than a little humor.

Their brawl with the caravan had left him in high spirits. It hadn't been fun, as such, but it had gone remarkably well, and hopefully would leave them with several good meals in the future. When Narcissa came wandering in, looking footsore and exhausted, he made a point of toning down his enthusiasm. He suspected it wouldn't be welcome.

"Esmerelda, you look terrible. Have you been walking since we last met?"

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

The young knight offered Elsa a raised eyebrow. "That does seem....prudent. I will remember not to address you improperly when prying ears may be listening. My Lady." Based on the soft snickering laugh the followed, Astoria was going to derive a great deal of personal satisfaction and amusement over how uncomfortable dignified titles and honourifics made Elsa and Sieghard.

When Narcisa approached, she found Astoria peering at her curiously with one hand perpetually resting on the pommel of her blade.
    She smiled when Elsa seemed to recognize the found woman, and offered her a brief bow before taking her hand in a warm embrace.

"It is a pleasure to meet you! " She rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment. "I..um...made the mistake of asking Duke Alvarr's men where I could find Daniele Barbaro. I am a Knight of the Blazing Sun from Magritta and came to deliver him a message. It was....an unfortunate misunderstanding."
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa looked blank at the term 'Knights of the Blazing Sun'. She presumed it was just another mercenary unit. The name Barbaro rang a bell - Sforza's tame priest she believed.

"Well congratulations on walking into a war," Narcisa said, tone glum. "With any luck it will be over soon and either the idiot Tilean or the idiot Bretonnian will have proven... whatever it is they want to prove."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Narcisa

Narcisa looked blank at the term 'Knights of the Blazing Sun'. She presumed it was just another mercenary unit. The name Barbaro rang a bell - Sforza's tame priest she believed.

"Well congratulations on walking into a war," Narcisa said, tone glum. "With any luck it will be over soon and either the idiot Tilean or the idiot Bretonnian will have proven... whatever it is they want to prove."
    Astoria laughed, perhaps a bit gleefully. "A war is where I am meant to be, Narcisa! My Goddess demands we refine the Art of War, and the Broken Reaches seems like a land in dire need of some...religious education."

5. - Top - End - #275

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa's dark eyebrows rose in surprise but she managed to bite back a cynical comment. Instead she gave what she hoped was a sober, devout smile. "Well... after the war I'm sure the Temple of Savonne would be happy to talk with you. Assuming its still there of course."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Elsa found him as he was making his way towards Al-Makir.

"Before we're on our way, can you cut my hair? Short enough to fit inside a hat or helmet? I'd like to be less conspicuous on the battlefield."

Sieghard frowned. He was rather fond of Elsa's hair. "Are you sure?" he asked, "Do you even own a helmet?"

Spoiler
    Show
    IIRC, the magic armor spell fails of Elsa is wearing any mundane armor. Keep that in mind.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-05-18 at 11:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

They left camp that afternoon with empty carts and full purses, leaving their wounded in the surgeons’ care. The whole company’s spirits should have been lifted, but a pall hung over the Volunteers. Viktor’s bed had been empty, and Paulo had shown Sieghard and Nat the free company commander’s fresh-dug grave. Gangrene had set in, the surgeon’s apprentice told them, in too vital a place for them to amputate. It had poisoned the commander’s blood; there had been nothing that even Doctor Bianco could do.

So the Volunteers marched solemnly in the rear, while the Thorns formed the vanguard. Ludo was aware of a certain amount of murmuring between the halberdiers and his crossbows in the middle, but at least it didn’t seem to be about Viktor. Instead their eyes were fixed forward on Astoria.

“So she’s coming with us now?” Meiner was saying. “Thought she was our prisoner.”
    Honoured guest, that’s what I heard,” said Oswald. “Got letters from some bigwig out in Capitano-land.” He shook his head. “Last thing we need, another slip of a girl playin’ at soldiers.”

Marching at the back of the Thorns, Hanna looked round. “I heard she’s a knight,” she said, trying and failing to keep some of the admiration out of her voice. “You think she’s playing, why don’t you try sparring with her? See how long you last.”

Oswald scowled, but Roth laughed. “Now that I’d like to see,” said the red-headed Reiklander. “Five schillings on the girl.”

“Stow it, the both of you,” grunted Norten, casting a quick glance forward to check that Sieghard hadn’t got wind of the squabbling. The two men clammed up, but after a few seconds’ silence, Roth began slyly whistling a well-known refrain.

Farewell and adieu, fair Estalian ladies,
    Though lovers back home have ne’er seemed so plain.
    For we’ve received orders to sail back to Nordland,
    We hope in a short time to see you again.

Festag, 4th Sigmarzeit

The rains brought by the storm seemed to be what this parched spring had been waiting for. In the space of one or two days, the Downlands burst into rich green life. Gustaf was full of information about the plants that were coming out, the most talkative Sieghard remembered him in some time. Perhaps he was feeling under pressure to be useful. Abdul had called Tannhofer away on some other assignment, and Gustaf had unintentionally inherited leadership of Sieghard’s scouts. He’d taken the news about as well as a condemned man receiving his sentence – which was to say in glum silence, since the condemned man in question was Gustaf.

Turning west of the road this time, they quickly left behind the burnt-out traces of their previous expedition. If Astoria had been expecting the glories of a grand campaign, this experience did not quite meet her expectations – emptying out peasant hovels and farms, their inhabitants mostly already fled at Narcisa’s warning, wasn’t the kind of thing the history books of the Order had spoken of. There was one stubborn turnip farmer who tried to jump at Sieghard from behind a tree, but one of Norten’s men had quickly laid him out cold.

As they moved further west, the terrain grew harsher and rockier, the farmsteads fewer and further between. The Giant’s Teeth loomed to the south, the jagged stone maze of the Black Karst to the north. This couldn’t be too far from the hut where Narcisa had sheltered during the storm. She kept a watchful eye on her surroundings, but spotted no more sheep halves.

It was late on Festag afternoon, after they had made camp, when two of Nat’s men came running back from the direction of the Karst. They had been patrolling near the rocks, they said, when they had run into two armed men watering their horses at the side of one of the limestone pools.

“They jumped straight in the saddle and rode off,” said the first man, still a little out of breath. “But one of ‘em dropped this.”

He held out a leather drinking flask. Scorched onto its surface was a pokerwork design – a sword crossed with a lightning bolt. Narcisa recognised it immediately as the banner of the Storm Swords.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don’t know who Sieghard wants to send to watch the pass, so leaving that part entirely for you to specify.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    "Are you sure?" he asked, "Do you even own a helmet?"
    "Not yet," said Elsa. "We'll see about getting a Thorn uniform for me. It's all about not being shot at by twenty archers at a time." She seemed to sense Sieghard's reluctance. "I like my hair long, too. But I also like to stay alive. I'll let it grow back one day, I promise."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    IIRC, the magic armor spell fails of Elsa is wearing any mundane armor. Keep that in mind.
    It does. I imagine I can take off a helmet as a half action if need be. Or if/when we find the time, we could have a craftsman make a hat that looks like a helmet without actually providing armor. To me it's clear that the main threat to Elsa isn't lack of armor, but her being a priority target for everyone with a bow or crossbow.

The "can't wear armor" rule of Magic Armor seems to have only been added by the designers to keep the spell from stacking with actual armor, because outside of mechanics it's completely arbitrary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Astoria was not unaccustomed to the banter of soldiers, especially the gossip that came about when they were subjected to the unknown. Nor was she unaccustomed to the jeers and belligerence that often accompanied a woman bearing arms.

She had ignored it for some time now, contenting herself to hover on the periphery of the Company's command structure - sticking close to Elsa and Sieghard mostly.

When she heard the refrain whistled by Roth, she hid a small smirk upon her features behind her shield, ducking her head minutely. Astoria paused along the side of the road, waiting for Norten, Oswald, Roth and Hanna to approach a bit closer.

When they were within earshot, she turned to face the small group of soldiers; bright copper eyes meeting their own with a somewhat strikingly intense flicker of amusement.

"Farewell and adieu, from Estalian ladies,
    Though your lovers back home have ne'er seemed so plain.
    For you've received orders to sail back to Nordland,
    And you will ne'er see us fair ladies again."

When Astoria's surprisingly sweet voice finished the tune, she gave the soldiers a sweeping bow - strange and exotic from the woman in black and gold armor, the sixteen rayed Sun respendant upon her shield.

Her laugh was a bit raucus, as if she had stumbled upon a great jest as she made her way back up the column towards Sieghard and Elsa.

Astoria tried to keep her spirits up, and spent much of her free time in conversation with whomever would humour her. She was fascinated by just about anything one could find to talk about. Long silences seemed to grate upon the young knight rather fiercely, and a silent campaign trail was not an enjoyable prospect.

She ensured that each night and each morning she would hold a small ceremony of prayer and ritualistic donning of her armour; performed in plain sight to people, Astoria would even offer the blessings of Myrmidia if interest was shown. She sought to interact with the soldiers as often as they would allow, and several times even offered a tip or trick here and there to some during sparring, or weapon drills.

She'd have taken the bet on a skirmish with Oswald, if he'd pressed his luck.

When the runners arrived bearing the waterskin, Astoria held her spear a bit tighter and made to stand within a reasonable distance of Elsa - just in case.

"I do not recognize the heraldry. Is an encounter with whomever these are a threat?"
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-19 at 12:14 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcissa had not wanted to join the march but in the end she gave in. It wasn't like she had any other options.

She was prepared to listen to Astoria talk (despite herself she did have a sliver of curiosity about fabulous far off lands like Estalia and Tilea.) Her own talk was somewhat more guarded for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    When the runners arrived bearing the waterskin, Astoria held her spear a bit tighter and made to stand within a reasonable distance of Elsa - just in case.

"I do not recognize the heraldry. Is an encounter with whomever these are a threat?"
    Narcisa shook her head. "No. Oh, the Storm Swords are a formidable enough mercenary group I suppose but given how easily I've seen Sieghard's crew deal with opposition I can't see anything short of a serious proportion of Alvarr's army posing a threat. The boss is a good fighter as are you if I'm any judge, the men are experienced and the most powerful wizardess in the Reaches is with us."
    Last edited by RossN; 2018-05-19 at 04:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

"How many of them are there?" Ludo asked uneasily. "Are they all mounted?"

Sforza's instruction to "avoid a fair fight" was one he had held dearly to for a while.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard (Earlier)

"Fine, I'll do it before we set out again," Sieghard said reluctantly. He didn't like it, but if she thought it might make her safer in battle, it was well worth trying.

Once he had finished his conversation with Elsa, he continued towards Al-Makir to discuss payment for the men who were newly under his command.

Spoiler
    Show
    Haggle Roll and reroll. Won't have my books until late tomorrow, but I believe haggle is Fel which would be vs 49.

(1d100)[5]
    (1d100)[20]

If you want me to come up with an initial asking amount before telling me what the results of the rolls are, let me know.

Sieghard was in low spirits as they marched. Viktors death had hit him as hard as it has the Volunteers. Though he tried not to let it show, it was obvious to those who knew him well.

"We send the flask to the captain and avoid them if at all possible," he said. "From their reputation, any fight with them would be costly." He wondered if the crossbowmen who had been among Marat's caravan had been theirs or if the had been from a different company.

Spoiler
    Show
    A small number of generic Thorns should be enough to watch the pass. He'll leave one of the riding horses in their care.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-05-19 at 08:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

31st Pflugzeit

An embarassed silence settled over the halberdiers at Astoria's singing. They knew she spoke perfectly good Reikspiel, why had they assumed she'd know no Empire songs?

The silence was broken only by Hanna and Ingwald taking up the tune, though Hanna was struggling not to laugh and Ingwald was a terrible whistler. Soon a good proportion of the Thorns were whistling as they marched, and Roth fell back through the ranks to hide from their mocking looks.

4th Sigmarzeit

"How many of them are there?" Ludo asked uneasily. "Are they all mounted?"
    "We just saw two," said the man who'd found the flask. "Both with horses."

At Sieghard's orders, Rahim took the flask and rode back south. As the messenger vanished around the shoulder of the rolling hills, Ludo looked in the other direction, towards the black teeth of the Karst rising to the north. Who knew how many men could lie hidden in such a labyrinth?

Wellentag, 5th Sigmarzeit

Rahim found them again late on Wellentag, in the act of firing a farmhouse they had found nestled in a shallow valley close to the hills. As before, the owners had already fled, forewarned by Narcisa.

Dismounting, Rahim handed over a message from the Captain, which Elsa read.

Cannot allow Storm Swords to rejoin with Alvarr. Find these men and arrange a meeting. Whatever he is offering, I will pay more.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-05-19 at 09:58 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Wellentag, 5th Sigmarzeit

"Hmm. Haven't the Storm Swords turned Sforza down before?" Elsa mused aloud after reading the message. "Mind, the situation's changed. We might be able to convince them we're the winning side."

And by now the Storm Swords' commander may have run out of money to pay his men. How long had it been since the company had left Alvarr's service, losing their share of the wealth of Savonne?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

"I know I say this a lot recently," Ludo said, peering over Elsa's elbow at the letter, "But I have a bad feeling about this."

Not nearly least was his growing concern that Sforza's coffers might not be as bottomless as they seemed for much longer. Still, it had been a month since Mitterfruhl. They would have heard by now.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Astoria scratched her chin thoughtfully, as she listened to Sieghard, Ludo and Elsa discussing the letter from Sforza.

"How long ago did this band of mercenaries split ways with Alvarr? I suppose it would be good to know whether or not Sforza took offense at them turning him down as well."

To Ludo's proclaimation of forthcoming trouble, Astoria nodded with a small frown. "Trouble of some kind is very likely, Master Halfling. They obviously know we are here, at this point."
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-19 at 11:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Captain may as well ask us to treat with goblins for all the good meeting with Alvarr's mercenaries will do." A year ago he may have done just that.

He turned to Elsa. "Do we know why they left the Duke originally?" he asked, "If there's bad blood there, we may be able to use it to our advantage."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-05-19 at 02:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

"Do we know why they left the Duke originally?" he asked, "If there's bad blood there, we may be able to use it to our advantage."
    "I think they were just growing impatient with the siege," said Elsa, shrugging. "I'd wager they burned their bridges with Alvarr by walking out on him, so it's not as if they have lots of options. Apart from leaving the Reaches."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, we can tell them how hard it was to get impatient when Sforza did it." Ludo offered. "Why don't I go with a few Thorns and follow the trail of the horses, and then you can start searching more generally while we keep raiding?"

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Astoria seemed deep in thought while Sieghard and the rest discussed the plan of action. There was little chance she'd be offering too much in the way of suggestions until she had a better grasp of the situation; regardless of the fiery little voice in her head urging her to seek some glory, she tempered her excitement with a healthy dose of patience.

The one thing that apparently was the downfall of these Storm Swords, if they had abandoned a siege.

But she needed some information.

"Is there a suitable location nearby to propose a meeting?" If Ludo was planning on tracking them down, then perhaps he could pass along a message for where to meet. "How unfavorably would Sforza look at us being unable to bring them into the fold?"
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-20 at 01:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291

BlackDragon

Narcisa

"They'd probably be better off leaving the Reaches," Narcisa muttered at Elsa's comment. "If Sforza wins there'll be no more work for them in the near future. At least if Alvarr and the Jarl win there is always the chance those two will fall out. It's much more in their interest to keep the war going."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

"I know it may seem like it would not be so important a thing, but do we know where these Storm Swords originally hail from?" Astoria asks, idly tugging on her braided black hair with perhaps some unease. "If they are not savages like the Norscans, perhaps I can travel with Master Ludo to set up a meeting? I am something of an outsider so far in these conflicts, and they have not had any dealings with me in the past. Also....some of them may be Myrmidians. I could appeal to their sense of faith, if nothing else."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard chewed his lip, considering the offer. "It should probably be me or Hildebrand doing most of the talking," he replied. "Can't imagine the captain would be happy with anyone else representing him. Besides," he continued after a moment, "Captain just said for us to set up a meeting between them and him, not to actually do the negotiating."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard chewed his lip, considering the offer. "It should probably be me or Hildebrand doing most of the talking," he replied. "Can't imagine the captain would be happy with anyone else representing him. Besides," he continued after a moment, "Captain just said for us to set up a meeting between them and him, not to actually do the negotiating."
    Astoria nods and smiles. "Of course! I would not presume to speak for you, or Capitano Sforza. I would like to be present, if you have no objections when you set up the meeting."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

"No worries, we're actually getting good at this," Elsa assured Astoria. "This'll be our third diplomatic mission."

She was actually starting to enjoy those missions. They made her feel important, but not important in a way that made dozens of men try to kill her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "No worries, we're actually getting good at this," Elsa assured Astoria. "This'll be our third diplomatic mission."

She was actually starting to enjoy those missions. They made her feel important, but not important in a way that made dozens of men try to kill her.
    Astoria smiles brightly to Elsa, and nods. "And your first two diplomatic missions were successes, I presume?" She twirls here braid around a gauntleted finger somewhat lazily. "Diplomacy is, regardless, a worthy goal. The lessons of such can be hard to master, but I look forward to seeing Broken Reaches diplomacy at work."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

"In the short term." Ludo said politely. In the long term, we're at war with one and the other is dead.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Short term would be fine. As long as they don't ally with Alvarr, it doesn't matter what they do after the war ends," Sieghard said. "Find them if you can, but it might be better to avoid approaching them until we're all present."

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

"There's no point getting them to meet you, just so you can tell them to meet Sforza." Ludo said. "Why don't Elsa and ma'am Astoria follow the trails, with me and Gustaf and some of the men, and you keep raiding - then no matter who meets them first, someone with a bit of clout can do the talking?"

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

"There's no point getting them to meet you, just so you can tell them to meet Sforza." Ludo said. "Why don't Elsa and ma'am Astoria follow the trails, with me and Gustaf and some of the men, and you keep raiding - then no matter who meets them first, someone with a bit of clout can do the talking?"
    "That is acceptable to me." Astoria says, glancing between Ludo and Elsa. "Perhaps we will find them in an amicable mood."