New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IX

Sieghard

"Do you think that means she'll be giving me land as well?" Sieghard replied, smirking.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite her attempts at a calm and dignified manner, Sforza's appraisal of her left her cheeks burning scarlet.

However, this did not impede her ability to form a proper response. She had her opportunity, and she would take it!

"Yes...yes, I am quite aware of my current state, Capitano. I am on an errand from La Aguila Ultima Isabella Giovanna Luccelli to find Daniele Barbaro. I have a missive for him in my bags. There were...omens observed last Hexensnacht at the Temple in Magritta. The Priests performed their divinations and the only answer they received was that Barbaro was somehow involved. I was dispatched to find him."

Astoria huffs a disparaging sigh. "I travelled from Magritta by ship to Barrack Varr, and passed into the lands of Duke Alvarr. When I happened across some soldiers looking for Father Vengist, I inquired after Barbaro with them and they immediately arrested me." The venom in her voice at the notion of such an affront is palpable. "I was stripped of my arms and armour, and locked in a cage as they planned to take me to Alvarran for the Duke to decide my fate. None of the soldiers wished to displease Myrmidia by slaying one of her chosen. That is where Sir Sieghard had found me, and while they were good enough to return my father's sword....the rest of my possessions have been included in your....plunder.

Sieghard
    "Do you think that means she'll be giving me land as well?" Sieghard replied, smirking.
    "Are you...not a knight?" Astoria blinked owlishly. "I apologize then! I had just...assumed...that with the surly demeanor and sharp temper you were one of the Heldenhammer's Knights." She offered a small bow, perhaps to hide the sharp smirk of her own that had begun to blossom on her face.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-16 at 12:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Somewhere, somehow she'd lost them. Or they had lost her.

Forgotten her perhaps.

Narcisa felt a shiver run down her back. For nearly the entire of her life she'd lived in the walls of Savonne, not always lived well but lived all the same surrounded by the scent and sound and sense of humanity in in all her beauty and ugliness. Now she was alone in the vast and open wilderness. The storm had badly rattled her - more badly than she might have thought possible having made it through floods and worse in the city. Here she just felt so exposed.

Outside the shelter she took one look at the (half) sheep, shivered and turned away. "Ranald help me," Narcisa murmured her prayed swallowed by the emptiness of the hills. She took deep breath and started walking in the direction she had seen the smoke coming from.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Astoria, Ludo, Elsa & Sieghard

Sforza still looked amused. "Daniele Barbaro?" he asked. "You're quite sure?" He turned to his remaining guard. <Fetch Daniele. Tell him there's a young lady from Magritta here to see him.>

It seemed like the soldier had scarcely left when Barbaro appeared on the scene with preternatural speed. On her journey, Astoria had often imagined what the man she was looking for would look like - the picture in her head bore a much closer resemblance to the Captain than it did to the short, balding man now in front of her. Still he greeted her with attentive, elaborate courtesy, which was more than either Sieghard or the Captain had offered.

Relating a highly abridged version of Astoria's story, the Captain ordered the crate with her effects brought forwards. The letters were produced, and Barbaro read them intently, his lips moving just a little as his eyes scanned from line to line. He had got about two-thirds of the way through when he stopped and slapped Sieghard across the face with the sheaf of parchment.

"Stone-headed brute! This is how you treat an envoy of the Eagle?" He gestured energetically towards Astoria, still standing in the damp and filthy clothes she had been caged in. "How would you like it if the high priest of, of humourless ogres sent us a messenger, and I treated them like a common thief, hm?" He bowed his head to Astoria. "My deepest apologies. He is a local, he does not know how to behave in civilised company."

<She is who she says she is, then?> asked the Captain, far less outraged than his priest. Barbaro held up the letters for him to see. <See here, my Captain. The seals of the order, and of the Eagle herself.>

Sforza raised his eyebrows, mildly impressed. He inclined his head towards Astoria.

"You are our honoured guest, then, signora. If there is anything you need, please do not hesitate to ask my men. Daniele here I'm sure will see you are well looked after." Something about the Captain's expression seemed to imply he found that funny. "Sieghard, see that her possessions are returned to her at once."

"You must be exhausted," said Barbaro, already turning his attention back to Astoria. "Would you care for some refreshment? My friend Abdul supplies me with a wonderful drink from his country, they call it kofi. You must try some..."

Narcisa

It was a full day's lonely walk for Narcisa to return to the road. There she found the burnt-out husks of Marat's wagons, half-sunk into the mud. The rain had washed most traces of the battle away, but still she could see the indistinct tracks of hundreds of men around the wreckage of the wagon fort. They looked to have come from the direction of the city and then turned back.

A trampled path through the barley fields showed where others had headed west. If the others had gone in that direction, she ought already to have passed them; these tracks were cold. If Sieghard's militia had had a run-in with the Duke's men, then perhaps they had fallen back to the Captain's camp.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-05-16 at 09:16 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait - observed in Magritta?"

Ludo's grasp of foreign geography was loose, but he knew that Magritta was a long way away. "You mean that... that what happened happened even in Magritta? What do you mean Omens?"

6. - Top - End - #246

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Well, at least that explains that, Narcisa thought to herself as she surveyed the ruined wagons.

She rested her aching feet for a few minutes before resuming the walk towards where she thought the Tilean's camp probably was. If it started falling dark before she got much further Narcisa decided she would look for shelter instead. As unappealing as another night alone was it still presented more charms than stumbling exhausted through the dark.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Astoria did her best to keep the weariness that weighed upon her from showing. Her back was ramrod straight, and chin up as she endeavored to meet Sforza's eyes while they were talking and not be intimidated by the veteran Mercenary Capitano.

When Barbaro finally appeared before her, copper eyes widened a fraction in surprise. This was certainly not what was expected. A mental scolding to remind her that tactical greatness came in many shapes and forms followed, though some niggling voice in the back of her head wondered whether or not a man of his stature was able to put the implied tactical accumen to use. So much for the image of a dashing warrior-priest bringing the Art of War to the lawless regions of the Broken Reaches....

Still, she offered him the courtesy of a proper Myrmidian greeting - crossing an arm over her chest and pressing a fist to her heart.

The young knight was a bit flabbergasted at his sudden berratement of Sieghard. Did Myrmidia not teach that all deserve respect and to be treated with dignity? If even a prisoner of war was to be offered as much, then why chastise one of his own commanders publicly for his behavior?

"No apologies are necessary, your Grace." Astoria replied, gaze flickering to Sieghard for a moment - the apology written plainly in her eyes. "While I daresay the experience has been humbling, if it were not for Sir Sieghard I would not be standing before you today. The man made a wise call to safeguard his men. It was a strategically sound decision, and had I been in his shoes? I cannot, with any measure of honesty, say I would not have done the same. After all....Duke Alvarr's men did reduce me to the state of a penniless vagabond, no?"

She offered a small smile to Sieghard, before looking back to Barbaro whom she offered a respectful bow. "Regardless, that you worked to safeguard my honour is a thing I shall not forget, your Grace."

"Wait - observed in Magritta?" Ludo's grasp of foreign geography was loose, but he knew that Magritta was a long way away. "You mean that... that what happened happened even in Magritta? What do you mean Omens?"
    Astoria nodded, rather vigorously to the Halfling's inquiry. "Oh yes, Master Halfling. The Priesthood was quite concerned when all the candles in the Temple that housed the sacred Book of Wisdom suddenly snuffed of their own volition. Though I suspect there was more to it than that, my duties as a Knight have kept me from being privy to the inner machinations of the Priesthood."

Turning back to Barbaro and Sforza, she offered them each another bow.

"Capitano, it is truly an honour to be a guest here with you today. Your exploits in the South, and the stories of your time here in the Reaches are beginning to spread far. If I can be of any service while I am here fulfilling my obligations with Father Barbaro, please, do not hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure."

"Ahh...."
    Astoria rubs the back of her neck, the sodden mane of hair clinging uncomfortably to her skin. "If I am honest, your Grace? Very much so. I would face the might of the Greenskins for a hot bath and a meal. Though, I am shamed to say that the wretches who serve the Duke stripped me of the coin provided by the Temple for my journey.....and...and my horse." Cheeks colored further at the last admission, and she felt a pang in her heart at the loss of her beloved steed; one who had served her so well, for so long.

"Please...tell me of this....kofi? Where is it from? I cannot say I have ever heard of such a thing before."
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Rolling his eyes at Sir, Sieghard left and returned a minute or so later followed by a pair of crossbowmen carrying Astoria's equipment. Though he said nothing, he didn't envy her being left in Barbaro's care. She'd learn all she needed to know about the man soon enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    We actually recovered the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    In the end they managed to bring four oxen and one horse back to the wagons, the latter being led by Astoria as if she had raised it from a foal.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-05-16 at 02:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Ludo, Sieghard & Astoria

"From Araby, my dear. You will have to meet our quartermaster, he is a very useful man to know." Barbaro fussed around Astoria like a mother hen, helping her retrieve her equipment from the crate. "And please, there's no need to stand on ceremony. You can call me Daniele. Anything you need, my tent is your tent."

Standing close to Sforza as she was, Elsa thought she heard the Captain murmur something like: <I bet it is.> Clearing his throat, he spoke up more clearly:

"Perhaps Signora Hildebrand should accompany you for your... refreshments, Daniele." Looking to Astoria, he clapped Elsa on the shoulder with a gloved hand. "She loves omens, she is always talking to me of them. Sieghard, your message mentioned prisoners?" He raised an eyebrow at Sieghard. "Let's leave the priests to their business and see to them."

~

Barbaro's tent was modest by comparison to the Captain's, but his coffee apparatus was not. Heating a fine brass pot over the campfire outside, he performed what seemed to Astoria some minor alchemy with sieves and powder before pouring three small silver cups of a thick black liquid. It was bittersweet and scalding hot, and after just a few sips she felt as alert and twitchy as a squirrel. With her weariness briefly washed away, she noticed how the priest's hands shook as he poured, and the recently-healed scars around his fingertips.

"So," said Barbaro, quickly hiding a cushion that had some rather risque embroidery by taking a seat on it. "About these letters. You say the temple divined my name?" He seemed a little flattered. "I must confess I'm not sure why. There were some... unusual events last Hexensnacht, it's true, but nothing seems to have come of them so far." He took a gulp of his coffee, wiping drips of the dark liquid from his beard. "Perhaps the auguries meant to guide you to the Captain? He is the one bringing Myrmidia's teachings to these parts." He paused, perhaps considering that an exaggeration too far. "In practice, if not in words."

~

Marat had been trailing at the back of the column, with the handful of other wounded caravan guards they'd taken prisoner. Sforza looked them up and down like a farmer inspecting dubious livestock at market.

"This is all of them?" he asked Sieghard. "What happened to the rest?"

Narcisa

It would be another long march back to where Narcisa had last seen Sforza's camp. As the sun began to set, she found shelter under an overhanging rock, rigging her travelling cloak as a makeshift tent to keep out the thinning drizzle. She would find the others in the morning.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #250

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Not for the first time Narcisa wondered herself wondering where she'd be right now if she'd successfully commandeered that horse. The ends of the earth...

...or maybe Alvarran at least.

With nothing else to do but eat her rations and feel sorry for herself she drifted off to sleep.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Dead or fled," Sieghard answered, "But we took their commander." He jerked his thumb at Marat. "Once we started burning the wagons around them, the madman decided to throw his men's lives away charging a force that had him outnumbered almost three to one. Duke must've promised him a pi-" Remembering a warning Al-Makir had once given him, he caught himself. "-plot of land if he got the wagons through, no matter how many farmboys had to die for him to do it. Soon as he fell, the others weren't so keen to keep fighting."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-05-16 at 08:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"I think the enemy will notice you all the same when you start throwing fire from your fingers."
    Elsa was not worried about that part. In the chaos of battle, she could easily blend into the back ranks if she drew too much attention. Uniforms would turn the search for the wizard into a shell game. A shell game whose players were constantly distracted by other things.

"Perhaps Signora Hildebrand should accompany you for your... refreshments, Daniele."
    Elsa understood it as a subtle order to ensure Barbaro's good behavior while in Astoria's company. "Hmm, yes. I could use some coffee."

She quite enjoyed coffee, especially after a miserable ride in the rain. While Barbaro and Astoria were still blowing on their cups to cool them down, she drank most of hers in a minute, seemingly unbothered by the scalding temperature. Morrslieb lay down by her side, wings spread out to dry them.

"About these letters," said Barbaro, addressing the knight. "You say the temple divined my name? I must confess I'm not sure why. There were some... unusual events last Hexensnacht, it's true, but nothing seems to have come of them so far."

Elsa cleared her throat. "Not true. The desert grew several miles on that night. Swallowed the western road whole. I think it'll grow again."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

”You have my thanks, Daniele. The hospitality is greatly appreciated.”

When she had brought the black and gold armour from the crate, along with crumpled white robes and a black shield bearing the Eagle of Myrmidia, Astoria smiled happily – as if reunited with a long-lost friend. She set it reverently inside Barbaro’s tent after taking a quick inventory of the possessions within the travel-worn backpack also retrieved.

The young knight retrieved a small parcel wrapped tightly in fine leather, and bound with twine. She unwrapped a corner, to ensure that the contents were more or less intact and took a small sniff – the scent of rosehip, lavender and – perhaps a hint of mint leaves – wafting from the small package. Astoria tucked it back in her pack, before joining Barbaro and Lady Hildebrand and accepting the small silver cup of steaming black kofi.

Her copper eyes swept across the contents of the tent, catching the risqué pillow and some of the opulence that was made up of the strange apparatus that was present and brewing whatever this kofi was. It certainly didn’t look like the residence of a Priest of Myrmidia from what she had seen in Magritta. It was the tent of a noble, of all things. Where was the martial pride?

After a cursory look, Astoria took a tentative sniff of the cup, as surreptitiously as possible as to not give any offense to the older Priest. Raising the steaming cup to her lips, she took a small, hesitant sip. It was a vile taste, however she felt reinvigorated as the warmth spread through her. If she watched the Bright Wizard downing the cup with nary a concern to the temperature with some awe, it was only reasonable.

”From Araby, you say? Fascinating!” She may have wanted to know a bit more about this strange beverage, but duty dictated she focus on more pressing matters.

”Indeed, your Grace!” Astoria replied with some exhuberance at his questioning the divinations. “As I understand it, there were several auguries performed and each one pointed to you as one close to the events. Those in the Temple believed the Omen perceived was a message from Myrmidia herself that our attention was required here. Though, some of this is purely speculative on my part, your Grace. I was not privy to the contents of the missives I delivered to you.”

She took another small sip of the coffee; the taste was not at all palatable, but she was enjoying the effects that the coffee seemed to have on her body.

The knight blinked in surprise when Barbaro seemed to not have much of significance to say about the Omens, These were important enough that the Priesthood itself sent her all this way! How could he not….She simply stared at him, shock likely visible on her face.

Elsa cleared her throat. "Not true. The desert grew several miles on that night. Swallowed the western road whole. I think it'll grow again."
    When the Bright Mage spoke, Astoria swiftly turned to face her, an intensity in her eyes.

”Truly? The desert grew?!”

Astoria shook her head. ”You will forgive my ignorance, my Lady, but I do not know much of the ways of Magic. How is this possible? Is it a portent of dark things? Is there….dark magic…afoot?” There was a hint of youthful excitement in her voice and a sparkle in her eye. This was the sort of story she had dreamt of as a child.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-16 at 09:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

"All signs point to a being called Nahorek," said Elsa carefully. She was prepared to trust Astoria with that knowledge. If the woman was in league with the enemy, at least Elsa was not telling her anything she did not already know. "Some in the Reaches worship him as a death god. Legends say he was slumbering, but he seems to have awakened on Hexensnacht."

She poured herself another cup of coffee. "I don't believe Nahorek is a god, but I do believe he exists and is behind the spread of the desert."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

"All signs point to a being called Nahorek," said Elsa carefully. She was prepared to trust Astoria with that knowledge. If the woman was in league with the enemy, at least Elsa was not telling her anything she did not already know. "Some in the Reaches worship him as a death god. Legends say he was slumbering, but he seems to have awakened on Hexensnacht."

She poured herself another cup of coffee. "I don't believe Nahorek is a god, but I do believe he exists and is behind the spread of the desert."
    "I apologize, my Lady, but....a Death God?" Astoria seems, at least for a moment, at a loss for words. She takes another small sip of the coffee, before furrowing her brow - deep in thought.

"If you do not believe this Nahorek is a God - blasphemous as the thought is - may I ask if you have any theories on what it could be? A vampire, perhaps? I have heard stories that there is a province in the Empire in which undying lord and ladies can raise the dead and feast upon blood.....and...and how would such a thing come to be awoken in these lands? I am....I will admit....a bit out of my area of expertise, my Lady."

Astoria seems to slump under the weight of Lady Hildebrand's revelations, and a conflict of emotion wars noticeably within her eyes. The change in demeanor is rather sudden; abrupt. Her back stiffens, and a resolution seems to settle upon herself.

"Legends such as this must be what the Omens in Magritta pertained to! It has to be! Such an abomination cannot be left to fester in lands as lawless and unsettled as these.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Rolling Academic Knowledge (Theology) to see if she's ever heard anything of this Nahorek. It's a long shot, but it can't hurt to try!

(1d110)[71] vs INT 47 (I assume this roll would have some penalties due to its difficulty)

EDIT: Eh...stupid finger hit an extra 1 in the roll. Regardless, it's a fail so it matters not.

Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-16 at 10:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa & Astoria

"Local gods aren't so uncommon," said Barbaro. His tone remained sweet, but his face spoke of restrained frustration - he'd clearly been hoping to steer the conversation in a different direction. "This 'Nahorek' isn't even the only one in these parts. There's an order of monks in Putbad that worship the spirit of the river, and she's yet to rise up and drown us all."

"People have their own ways of honouring the gods. Perhaps there might be... something out there behind the spread of the desert, but to most people I'm sure their jackal spirit is nothing more than an aspect of Morr." He took another sip of his coffee. "Now if it's dark magic you're looking for, I think we have something much closer to home." He looked to Elsa. "Signora Hildebrand, why don't you tell Caballera d'Evangelisti what we have under the fort in Manann's Keep?"

Sieghard

Sforza noted Marat's scars and missing fingers. "Looks like a veteran," he said, "but I don't recognise him. You man, what's your name?"

Marat looked up at the Captain with a squinting scowl. "Marat," he said. "Reckon I know who you are."

"Good," said the Captain. "Well, signor Marat, I'm not in the habit of keeping prisoners longer than I have to. What do you think your master would give for your return?"

"Why don't you ride up to the gates and ask him?" Marat spat back. "I'm sure he'd give you an arrow between the eyes for your trouble."

Sforza sighed. "One of those, then." He looked to Sieghard. "You can leave these ones with us here. No sense in letting them slow you down. Perhaps in a few days they'll be feeling more cooperative."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa was reluctant to discuss the book with a near stranger, but if the whole Conclave of Savonne knew about it, it was not much of a secret anymore. "Last year we found an ancient tome written in Nehekharan. It practically thrums with Dark Magic and seems all but indestructible. None of us can read a word of it, but we're confident it is one of the Nine Books of Nagash." She pronounced the last word in a whisper.

"Nahorek is also tied to the Great Necromancer, according to myth. Most definitely not an aspect of Morr. I'd rather assume he exists and be proven wrong."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sforza noted Marat's scars and missing fingers.
    And burns, don't forget the burns.

Sforza sighed. "One of those, then."
    Ha ha ha, that was my reaction when he first refused to surrender.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-05-17 at 09:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Astoria sat quietly, staring into the steaming blackness of her silver cup; a pensive expression on her face. Barbaro seemed, in truth, to be overly content with his lot in life - and Astoria was swiftly beginning to believe that he would fight to protect such a status quo harder than any other battle Myrmidia may call him to. If he would even heed her call.

The young knight bit her lower lip thoughtfully. Astoria knew sometimes she let her excitement get the better of her. She was, like Barbaro in some ways, living the life she truly desired: the fevered rush and glory that came with battle, adventure, travel. She even got to meet a Bright Wizard. She could not allow her perceptions of the events to be colored by what she wished were true.

But Astoria could not shake the feeling that Barbaro would not have even mentioned the Book to her, had he not been trying to...upstage...the Bright Wizard? To deflect?

If he believed that such a thing would difuse the Knight's concern, he was not a good judge of character.

Astoria finally broke her silence, a thoughtful expression on her face.

"The local superstitions....of course Daniele. One must always take local beliefs with a grain of salt, or so I've heard the saying go. But...." She hesitates, copper eyes flickering to Beatrix*. "A potent and ancient book of dark magic? A desert that grows of it's own accord? Legends of a Death God rising? All alone those would be terrifying stories, Daniele....Lady Hildebrand.....but when all this occured, Myrmidia herself sent us a message in Magritta. I am no expert in the matters of Faith nor do I have the knowledge of a Wizard; I am but a girl who Myrmidia has graced with the heart to do Her Will." A hand rises to clutch at the token of an Eagle worn under her clothes around her neck with a small smile.

"If those who are more learned and experienced in such matters believe it to be a concern, it would be a tactical blunder to disregard such things as mere superstition out of hand. Lady Hildebrand....if you are correct, and the book is indeed one of the Nine...may I ask you what is to be done with it? Is Manann's Keep a secure location for it?"
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-17 at 12:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

"We're to carry on as before then?" Ludo asked. "We can't send messages so fast without Elsa's bird: what do you want us to do if we run into trouble again?"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"We've still got the runners," Sieghard replied, "Not quite as fast, but still fast enough."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

"Lady Hildebrand....if you are correct, and the book is indeed one of the Nine...may I ask you what is to be done with it? Is Manann's Keep a secure location for it?"

"Safest we have," said Elsa, in a tone that implied she still wished for better. "I think the safest location in the Reaches is behind the walls of Savonne. Maybe even the Dwimmulhold, if we can talk the Dwarfs into it. But Savonne isn't ours yet."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-05-17 at 01:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

"Safest we have," said Elsa, in a tone that implied she still wished for better. "I think the safest location in the Reaches is behind the walls of Savonne. Maybe even the Dwimmulhold, if we can talk the Dwarfs into it. But Savonne isn't ours yet."
    At this, Astoria grins and nods, as if she has reached some internal resolution.

"Well, then it is settled. Unless the missives I brought to Daniele indicate some further duty I am to be undertaking, I will offer my services to you, Lady Hildebrand and Capitano Sforza. It would be my honour! Perhaps by my sword or my shield, I can help ease this burden upon the Reaches."
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-17 at 02:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Astoria & Elsa

Barbaro smiled broadly. "Excellent!" he said. "I was hoping you would say something like that. The Captain of course is a godly man, he has no desire to hold onto signora Hildebrand's book any longer than absolutely necessary... but as long as Duke Alvarr and his heathen allies control the north, we have no safe path to get it out of the Reaches." He nodded to himself. "Help the Captain defeat him, and I'm sure he will agree there would be no safer place for it than the Temple of Magritta. Not to mention avenging the slight on your honour given by the Duke and his men."

"There wouldn't be any chapters of your order nearby that you could write to, by any chance?" he asked, pouring himself a little more of his precious coffee. "You may have seen we are a little... deadlocked out here in the Downlands. We raid the Duke's territory and he sits tight behind his walls." Blowing to cool his drink, he took a small sip. "Should the Order intervene... it could tip the war decisively into our favour."

Sieghard & Ludo

Sforza nodded at Sieghard's words. "Your orders will be as before - offer no battle to anything that looks like a fair fight. If you spot more caravans you need only delay them long enough to get your messenger off, and draw the Duke's men out of the city. I will come north with Giovanni and my men and cut off their retreat."

He had made sure at this point to walk far enough from Marat that the sergeant couldn't hear their discussion. "Most of my regiments make do without a magic bird; this will be no different." He looked to Sieghard. "How much ground north of here remains for you to cover?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Just what's west of the road," Sieghard answered, "We burned most of the east before the caravans were spotted."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

”I do not blame Capitano Sforza for wanting to be rid of such an evil thing.” Astoria shakes her head resolutely. If this book is truly a relic of such ancient evil as Lady Hildebrand believes, then a tumultuous realm such as the Broken Reaches is indeed not safe. Moreso if it is tied to this Nahorek creature.

”I know of no chapters of the Order South of Black Fire Pass, Daniele. I will send a missive to the Temple in Magritta as to the events that play out around you, but I caution you to be too optimistic. I dare not presume to think that the Order of the Blazing Sun will vocally align themselves with a local warlord – regardless of how Godly he may be. Not without a greater understanding of the situation. While I may be able to offer them a recommendation, it will ultimately be the Grandmasters who decide if direct action is required.”

Astoria finishes the coffee with a hand – trembling lightly from the energy that the beverage has provided – and sets the silver cup aside. She cards her fingers throught he drying mane of hair – tangled and disheveled though it may be, before glancing to Beatrix* with a sudden, inspired grin.

”Of course!” She exclaims, clapping her hands together for emphasis. ”I will travel with Sforza’s company….the ones who saved me from the Duke’s men….acting as an envoy from the Order so I can see with my own eyes the situation here in the Broken Reaches. I can provide the blessings of Myrmidia to the warriors and assist with morale, of course, but this will serve a dual purpose. In truth, I do owe Sir Sieghard a debt of honour for pulling me from the fire.”

The happy smile widens, becoming perhaps a bit more sly, as if Astoria seemed particularily pleased with her line of reasoning.

”The other purpose is to ensure the safety of the Lady Hildebrand here! Of her own admission to Capitano Sforza, she has been targeted much of late. I will act as her shield during the travels, for in truth? There is none more qualified to judge upon the dark magics that seem to be growing in the region and I will need more information that we have if I am to provide proper information to the Temple.”

Astoria turns fully to Beatrix*, and draws her blade. The young knight drops to her knee before the Bright Wizard, and bows her head – blade offered up to her in a symbolic gesture.

”Lady Hildebrand, if you would allow it, I would pledge my sword and shield to your safety. While I live and breathe, I will not allow the enemy to hinder you. I swear it!”

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    ”Lady Hildebrand, if you would allow it, I would pledge my sword and shield to your safety. While I live and breathe, I will not allow the enemy to hinder you. I swear it!”
    Elsa quickly glanced at Barbaro in something approaching distress. She had never seen this kind of earnest deference before and did not know how to deal with it. "Well, um, I thank you," she said, addressing the knight. "I'll be glad to fight by your side."

She straightened in her seat as she searched for the right words to kill the awkwardness of the situation. "Rest assured, you are needed just as much as I am. And we're both very much at home on the battlefield. I want you to fight with me, not for me."

Astoria was a strange woman, but Elsa liked her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Elsa quickly glanced at Barbaro in something approaching distress. She had never seen this kind of earnest deference before and did not know how to deal with it. "Well, um, I thank you," she said, addressing the knight. "I'll be glad to fight by your side."

She straightened in her seat as she searched for the right words to kill the awkwardness of the situation. "Rest assured, you are needed just as much as I am. And we're both very much at home on the battlefield. I want you to fight with me, not for me."

Astoria was a strange woman, but Elsa liked her.
    Astoria stood with a resolute nod, despite the wide grin she was sporting.

"Very well, my Lady! It would be an honour to fight with you.

Astoria eyed the coffee on the table a bit warily, realizing at how...vibrantly....she was likely coming across. It was perhaps some alchemical concoction or magical potion, after all....the Bright Wizard was able to consume it like Astoria downed milk and honey when she was feeling a bit low. She would be keeping an eye on Daniele Barbaro and his kofi in the future.

"Oh!" There was a sudden realization that dawned upon Astoria. Her copper eyes returned to Beatrix* with a heavily blushing face. "You must excuse my lack of decorum, my Lady. But....while I am aware of your surname, I have not shown the diligence or courtesy to ask your given name! Please, forgive my blunder. I seem to be a bit....anxious...for some reason?"

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa & Astoria

Barbaro smiled. "What more can we ask for?" he said. "Just one thing... your order must have codes, ciphers, yes?" He leaned forward a little. "It might be best not to speak too directly of what we've told you in any letter you send back to your superiors. If the wrong people discovered the book was in our possession, it might bring all kinds of trouble."

"It's truly a pleasure to have you with us, Caballera D'Evangelisti. Myrmidia has brought you to us for a reason, I'm sure of it." He reached out and patted her on the arm. "Should you ever wish to discuss spiritual matters, my door is always open."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ninja'd by Erulasto but I think this post can stand as it is.

Sieghard & Ludo

"Then the west is where you'll go," said Sforza. "Rest your men and settle the account of your plunder with Abdul. You head back north tomorrow."

Turning back towards his pavilion, the Captain paused and looked back to Sieghard. "Remember," he said, "I want that pass watched. Night and day!"

Aubentag, 31st Pflugzeit

Everyone

Narcisa reached the camp shortly before noon, a cold and unrestful night having left her in no better a mood than she'd been the previous day. Sure enough, the militia were there - though from the general air of bustle in the camp, it looked as if they were making preparations to leave again. She had caught them just in time.

She caught sight of Elsa emerging from one of the tents, a strange woman in black armour trailing behind her. She looked foreign, Tilean or perhaps Estalian. With those scars and the copper ring through her nose, she certainly looked fierce too. Still she seemed young, little older than Narcisa herself. If this was one of the Captain's entourage, it wasn't one Narcisa had seen before.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-05-17 at 11:12 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

"You must excuse my lack of decorum, my Lady. But....while I am aware of your surname, I have not shown the diligence or courtesy to ask your given name! Please, forgive my blunder. I seem to be a bit....anxious...for some reason?"

"It's quite alright," said Elsa, smiling. "The Captain's men know me as Beatrix Hildebrand. But don't be surprised if you hear my close friends call me Elsabeth. That's my actual name, but I changed it as advised by Father Barbaro here. There were a few things from my past I had to leave behind."

She was not about to tell her story to Astoria. Not yet.

Emerging from the tent, Elsa gave Narcisa a curt nod. "Glad to see you again. This is Astoria. We freed her from the Duke's men." There was more to it, of course, but she preferred to let the Myrmidian provide the details herself.

She looked for Sieghard. "Before we're on our way, can you cut my hair? Short enough to fit inside a hat or helmet? I'd like to be less conspicuous on the battlefield."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #270

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa looked at the camp in open dismay. They were already leaving again? After it taken her two of solid walking alone across hostile territory to reach here?

With a sigh she entered the camp, absently returning Elsa's nod, though her eyes were swiftly drawn towards the strange looking virago. After a moment of hesitation she offered her hand. "Astoria? Pleased to meet you. I'm Narcisa. Why were the Duke's men keeping you prisoner?"