New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Expedition to the demomweb pits question - spoilers inside

I'm DMing the aforementioned module to my players, and something came up

spoiler don't read ahead if you don't want information about the module

The problem is getting in and out of sigil. The letter Lithara has implies that she came from sigil in the first place, since it is written in the letter that the portal leads from the market to a set of caves. I worked under the assumption that the portal works both ways, yet it seems that the book assumes the players are trapped in sigil.

Did I misinterpret something? Was she going from the caves to sigil and not the other way arround? where exactly am I being stupid?

2. - Top - End - #2

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Expedition to the demomweb pits question - spoilers inside

The portals on the Sigil side move and change. And as a means of trapping PC's into a plot, they often tend to move somewhere else right after the PC's arrive through it.

There are means of searching for said portals (Detect Portal spell, Dimensional Sextants from Manual of the Planes), but once a portal to the PC's home world shifts, it takes a while for someone to find it, and learn the key for it. Once someone does find it, they then sell this information. This can take as long as the DM (or the module) want it to, and require Gather Info checks, or roleplaying with NPC's in the know (*cough* Rule of Three *cough*) once there has been sufficient time for the new portal location to have been found.

3. - Top - End - #3

ClericGuy

Default Re: Expedition to the demomweb pits question - spoilers inside

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    The portals on the Sigil side move and change. And as a means of trapping PC's into a plot, they often tend to move somewhere else right after the PC's arrive through it.

There are means of searching for said portals (Detect Portal spell, Dimensional Sextants from Manual of the Planes), but once a portal to the PC's home world shifts, it takes a while for someone to find it, and learn the key for it. Once someone does find it, they then sell this information. This can take as long as the DM (or the module) want it to, and require Gather Info checks, or roleplaying with NPC's in the know (*cough* Rule of Three *cough*) once there has been sufficient time for the new portal location to have been found.
    oh, well, thats actually pretty much what the module told me, I just never thought I could use that to change the portal functionality.... now I feel really stupid.

I also just realized that Rule of Three might have indicated that particular portal to the drow priestess precisely because it was scheduled to be destroyed by the dabus to make way for a pipe or some other infrastructure, trapping the drow priestess in the material plane.

Thank you very much for your help.