Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1100
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIII: Screaming, Ranting and Egregious Violence

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I don't know why Agatha would go back in time and destroy her own castle, especially not after she nearly died multiple times trying to fix it in the present.
    Also--wouldn't that mean Agatha had gone back in time to be her own mother? We know Lucrezia was her mother, after all, and she was also definitely the Other.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Or because it didn't happen originally. Future Agatha may have taken over a fully functional Mechanicsburg for all we know. Maybe Future Agatha grew up in the care of Lucrezia and is significantly nastier than Agatha as raised by Barry, Punch, and Judy.

That's the fun thing with time travel - once you have the changing event, everything after that is bets off.

While thinking about this, it has occurred to me that we already have a past-altering event. Namely, the time window in Beetleburg. Without someone in the future seeking Agatha out at that moment in time, Agatha trudges to the University uneventfully. She doesn't freak out and run down a blind alley to get mugged, doesn't lose her locket, and doesn't build a clank that identifies her as a Spark while the Baron is visiting.

The entire story up until this point is the result of time-travel induced meddling.
    Unless it's a fixed time version of time travel, Terminator rather than Back to the Future.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Troll in the Playground

Or because it didn't happen originally. Future Agatha may have taken over a fully functional Mechanicsburg for all we know. Maybe Future Agatha grew up in the care of Lucrezia and is significantly nastier than Agatha as raised by Barry, Punch, and Judy.

That's the fun thing with time travel - once you have the changing event, everything after that is bets off.

While thinking about this, it has occurred to me that we already have a past-altering event. Namely, the time window in Beetleburg. Without someone in the future seeking Agatha out at that moment in time, Agatha trudges to the University uneventfully. She doesn't freak out and run down a blind alley to get mugged, doesn't lose her locket, and doesn't build a clank that identifies her as a Spark while the Baron is visiting.

The entire story up until this point is the result of time-travel induced meddling.
    Yep. The story starts with temporal interference. It also crops up a couple of other times where Agatha and Moloch are trying to find Moloch's old crew, with Bang witnessing the events.

That said, I could certainly see disabling the Kestle as being beneficial for Agatha. Even when it's "sane", it's not exactly balanced. It would have taken the loss of the Heterodyne Boys very poorly, despite its differences with them, for one thing. For another, it could easily have been co-opted by hostile forces. Or the Baron. If Klaus had the willing support of Kestle and the Jaegers, Agatha's coming of age would have been virtually impossible.

Heck, there's simply Agatha's coming of age. Had the Kestle been sane, Agatha wouldn't have been able to evolve as fast as she did. The Kestle arc may have been painfully slow, but when you compare Agatha before and after, there's an awful lot of growth in her character. Add in the fact that I don't think Agatha would have liked the Kestle had it started sane. It's like with the Jaegers, where she had to start small and adjust to them before she could proudly claim them as her monsters. But by having to carefully piece the Kestle back together again, she developed affection for it. Also, having the Kestle repaired (after more than a decade of failure) and embrace her as the Heterodyne, her claim has a lot more clout than if she'd just walked in and talked the Kestle into accepting her.

So, yeah. I could completely see Agatha shattering the Kestle. Especially if it sensed her blood and went maniacal on her at that point in time. She's already had to kill it once when it refused to listen to her.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Also--wouldn't that mean Agatha had gone back in time to be her own mother? We know Lucrezia was her mother, after all, and she was also definitely the Other.
    Not exactly. We know that the Other identifies as Lucrezia. There's a bit of wiggle room between the two statements. For example, say the Other is an AI whose template was replaced by Lucrezia. Lucy remains a unique individual, but the Xerox machine that is the Other has her mentality and memories - perhaps even corrupted and exaggerated. When we're dealing with an entity that can implant its own mind over the mind of a host, this difference goes from semantic to massive.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-07-18 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by M'aiq the Liar
    The Wood Elves are not made of wood and the Sea Elves are not made of water. M'aiq still wonders about the High Elves.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Unless it's a fixed time version of time travel, Terminator rather than Back to the Future.
    Othar's Twitter would seem to indicate that time travel can change the past. And the current GG universe is the result of Othar changing something.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Troll in the Playground

In case anyone else had my issue - I've been ignoring the Othar's Twitter storyline for a while because I am completely uninterested in dumpster-diving Twitter to find it, but apparently it's all available in consumable format here. TIL.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Do you have a basis for your claim other than your own assertion?
    On his intro page, he says "Ah - Because most people can't understand the notes of sparks. But I, you see, am quite mad!"

To me, that sentence reads as him referring to sparks as a group he is not a member of. Else he would have said something more like "Because most sparks can't understand the notes of other sparks."

DrewID
    Last edited by DrewID; 2018-07-18 at 04:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Othar's Twitter would seem to indicate that time travel can change the past. And the current GG universe is the result of Othar changing something.
    Ah. I don't read that.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    In case anyone else had my issue - I've been ignoring the Othar's Twitter storyline for a while because I am completely uninterested in dumpster-diving Twitter to find it, but apparently it's all available in consumable format here. TIL.
    That seems to be missing a good number of entries, including the all-important "dystopian timeline where the Other wins the Battle of Mechanicsburg" section.

With all the time-travel shenanigans, I've been wondering if the Other might actually be Agatha. Or possibly "Bad Future" Agatha. The Revenants don't answer to Agtha because her voice sounds like Lucrezia's - they answer to her because she made them, and the voice-relationship is reversed for the copies of Lucrezia running around.
    Senior geisters obey Lucrezia but not Agatha. If Agatha is the true Other and Lucy's a pale imitation, wouldn't it be the other way around?
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Senior geisters obey Lucrezia but not Agatha. If Agatha is the true Other and Lucy's a pale imitation, wouldn't it be the other way around?
    Not necessarily. It is the Voice that generates whatever Command Harmonics compel them to obey. What causes Vrin to resist is not that the voice is imperfect, but that she knows Agatha is not her master. Which is why when Lucy is in control it works just fine. It's possible an Agatha from the future could end up being The Other, but current Agatha is not yet there.

:edit: You can see this when Von Pin thoughtlessly obeys a yelling Agatha waaay back on Castle Wulfenbach, and when Anveka first tests the stolen voice. The initial surprise of the Voice compels them, and once the surprise wears off, they start with the resisting.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2018-07-18 at 07:45 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    That seems to be missing a good number of entries, including the all-important "dystopian timeline where the Other wins the Battle of Mechanicsburg" section.
    Darn it! Okay, is there another way?

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

New comic.

Spoiler
    Show

This is a lot more occult than I ever expected from this story. Are the mirrors artifacts from another world/timeline with an old fashioned architectural style, or products of some waning force that you could effectively call magic?

Looks like Klaus left Skiffander via portal.

12. - Top - End - #1092

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    New comic.

Spoiler
    Show

This is a lot more occult than I ever expected from this story. Are the mirrors artifacts from another world/timeline with an old fashioned architectural style, or products of some waning force that you could effectively call magic?

Looks like Klaus left Skiffander via portal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That was always the most obvious way for Chump.. er.. Klaus to get back to Europa. Pretty good chance he was sent there via the same one.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Troll in the Playground

And the brotherly love-hate relationship pops up again in the last panel.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, I think that people who suggested The Other was responsible for the decline of the Mirror network have more juice for their theory.

I also suspect that Klaus had lots of fun being the Queen's Consort in Skifander. He probably had lots of fun in Skifander even before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Klaus' 'portal outfit' has a certain Barsoomian flair to it. Obviously far from proof, but that Skifander is, or is on, Mars seems more likely to me than ever before.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Whatever you may think of Klaus, he is sure badass. If this is an accurate portrayal, Klaus had to fight his way to the Mirror and get Gil out. And Gil does know about the mirror in Mechanicsberg. I bet he's thinking of how to fix one of these mirrors or at least getting a look at he guts one.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

17. - Top - End - #1097

ClericGuy

Whatever you may think of Klaus, he is sure badass. If this is an accurate portrayal, Klaus had to fight his way to the Mirror and get Gil out.
    Yeah, I hope one day the Foglio's decide to write a brief short story about the adventures of Klaus on the other side of the mirror and his fight to escape. It would be an interesting read.

18. - Top - End - #1098

And Gil does know about the mirror in Mechanicsberg. I bet he's thinking of how to fix one of these mirrors or at least getting a look at he guts one.
    Agatha mentions the mirror/gate in the message that she sends to Gil via giant clank, though it's not entirely clear at what point during said message that Klaus takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    Yeah, I hope one day the Foglio's decide to write a brief short story about the adventures of Klaus on the other side of the mirror and his fight to escape. It would be an interesting read.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Foglios have said outside the comic that Agatha and Co. are going to visit Skiff, so we'll probably hear about it.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Agatha mentions the mirror/gate in the message that she sends to Gil via giant clank, though it's not entirely clear at what point during said message that Klaus takes over.
    Do we know that Klaus can't hear things when he's not in control? Lu seemingly can't, but she could be faking, and how would Klaus know when to pop up if he didn't?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

We know that "Klaus" is always listening. On this page Tarvek says he mentioned that Gil was in the hands of Albia and Klaus popped right up.