New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1115 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    And the moment he finds out who they are, he says "I'm supposed to devour you now"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0476.html
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    And the moment he finds out who they are, he says "I'm supposed to devour you now"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0476.html
    And in the very next strip, he only thinks he should eat them at the express command of Xykon. He ultimately decides he's still hungry, yet doesn't eat Mr. Stiffly, so he clearly only decided to eat the people Xykon ordered him to.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oonker View Post
    Vaarsuvius - went all Darth V, and began to understand the full depth of his actions.

Of those, I bet only V will get his redemption in the end.
    V's regret is sincere, and V's admission of being in the wrong is also credible.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

And in the very next strip, he only thinks he should eat them at the express command of Xykon. He ultimately decides he's still hungry, yet doesn't eat Mr. Stiffly, so he clearly only decided to eat the people Xykon ordered him to.
    That's basically why I usedthis handy little thing: "?"

Because until we have confirmation that the GBiS has actually eaten someone (which I don't believe will ever happen) I consider that he started the story as Neutral, hence the uncertainty as whether he was "redeeming" himself. I still count that he sees nothing wrong with eating people as evil. Peanuts next to what the actual Evil (and some Neutral) characters are up to in this comic but still.

EDIT: Or he decided not to eat the nice people who come to his tea-parties as surprise guests because they love him.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-03-28 at 10:40 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That's basically why I usedthis handy little thing: "?"

Because until we have confirmation that the GBiS has actually eaten someone (which I don't believe will ever happen) I consider that he started the story as Neutral, hence the uncertainty as whether he was "redeeming" himself. I still count that he sees nothing wrong with eating people as evil. Peanuts next to what the actual Evil (and some Neutral) characters are up to in this comic but still.

EDIT: Or he decided not to eat the nice people who come to his tea-parties as surprise guests because they love him.
    Oh, I getcha. Misread that. Sorry!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    If at all (s???)he's eaten Babies

sch
    MitD self-identifies as male (he won't allow girls in his club). O-Chul refers to him as a good man.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    The purportedly True Neutral being standing next to him seems to be fine with it. Of course, V was just coming back from the deep end of the alignment pool and would probably need to see something a tad nastier to really be moved on a moral level.
    Yeah, I think any argument for Belkar's moral standing based on "no worse than Vaarsuvius" is on seriously shaky ground at this point.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Belkar's awareness of Durkon's sacrifice, and the subsequent obligation he feels toward him (no matter how hard he denies it), has been my favorite step in his development.
    Also factor in, he is faking it. This must require quite a lot of processing power of his brain.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SinusPi View Post
    Pardon me for interrupting the Belkar psychoanalysis, but... what alphabet are the runes in the next-to-last panel taken from? They seem to vaguely match some Nordic or Tolkienian variants, but then they don't make sense at all. Or is that just gobbledygook..?
    I don't think it's gibberish. I'd guess "Banquet Hall". The number of letters fits, the double letter at the end of the second and the symbol for the A matches in both words.

But I don't know which alphabet it is. Seems very Tolkienian indeed.
    The Hundred Second
    Creator of the first iteration of The Stick Awards

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Most likely the same alphabet as there.
    Here it's too short to be a joke in my opinion. Probably just Banquet Hall as you said.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzo, the 102nd View Post
    I don't think it's gibberish. I'd guess "Banquet Hall". The number of letters fits, the double letter at the end of the second and the symbol for the A matches in both words.
    You are a credit to the other hundred and one.

12. - Top - End - #132

Yup. The point I was trying to make was - Xykon's idea involves him being the "final fight" - stepping out of the shadows to confront the the heroes, and then eating them.

It's plausible that, before the Order, no heroes have ever gotten quite far enough to be eaten by him - thus, he's just gotten "regular food".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Monox View Post
    Hmm. I think Belkar's prophesy is coming true soon. He's shown the right amount of character growth and empathy.
    I'm still betting against. IMAO Belkar dies at the climax, which won't happen till someone finds the last gate at the earliest. This isn't there yet.

Someday Belkar will die, and thousands will cry "called it"! And I will probably say, "Yawn, I missed it, but then I also missed the hundreds of times people called it in error".

After they find the final gate. Not before. Not being Rich I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

My first thought was Belkar is totally gonna be a martyr. My second thought was Belkar is gonna go in that direction, escape the death part, gloat about how he doesn't need to, and then get killed very shortly afterwards anyway.
    This one sounds more plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cifer View Post
    Oh, hey, look at that. Redemption stories that don't involve nearly burning down clan halls (and are thus, you know, redemption stories).

Hm, I really wonder what Belkar's current alignment actually is.
    Chaotic Evil, the big hint on the Evil part is where he thinks stabbing things in the face is a good way to deal with his internal conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Belkar's way of dealing with his feelings reminds me of the Crystal golem...
    Yep. Hey! She must have been most of the way to CN too! She was perfectly willing to crush little gnome's skulls rather than attack Haley. What a wonderful person.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ave View Post
    Also factor in, he is faking it. This must require quite a lot of processing power of his brain.
    I think it's very clear by now Belkar is not faking his character growth.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

That's a great example of showing the process of character growth.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Belkar will never fight the vampire with as much intensity as he is currently fighting his own character growth.
    But he is getting XP for that?
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    But he is getting XP for that?
    No, because, in the case of fighting his his own character growth, he's losing the battle...

Edit:

Even though he may be winning, in some sense, as he is learning some new things and feelings... gosh, this "interpretation xp" thing is confusing sometimes...
    Last edited by D.One; 2018-03-28 at 04:51 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Really? You think Belkar could be anything other than utterly devastated by finding himself stuck to a wall inside his own mind while a vampire spirit piloted his body, at this point, with how he feels about vampires and how he's reacted to even the lightest restrictions on his freedom in the past?

It's ironic that someone who loves Belkar wants such a horrible fate for him.
    Horrible fate? for who?

Craft disturbing mental images, remember? "I'm not stuck in my head with you. You are stuck in my head with me!"

Well, probably it will not happen, but it would be hilarious (and if it happen, called it )
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I think that the underlying purpose of this strip is Rich saying "Hello, major and explicit cluebat that Belkar is undergoing character change".

Because god knows these forums NEED a cluebat to stop them from debating how a wrench to the skull of the captain isn't mutiny.
    Last edited by Manty5; 2018-03-28 at 05:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I think that there may be another interpretation to the panel 11 question ("Who the hell puts someone in that position anyway"). There is a possible answer to this rhetorical question - at least in Belkars mind: Odin.

Take a look at #1097 again; Belkar puts the blame for Durkons exile right where it actually is - at Odins door. If the gods turn up again in this story, I think that it's possible that Belkar is going to be asking some uncomfortable questions of them; in a way that not one of the other characters could.

And then Odin kills him for his insolence.
    Last edited by WombleofDarknes; 2018-03-28 at 05:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    I think that the underlying purpose of this strip is Rich saying "Hello, major and explicit cluebat that Belkar is undergoing character change".

Because god knows these forums NEED a cluebat to stop them from debating how a wrench to the skull of the captain isn't mutiny.
    Character development=/= on course to redemption or alignment change. There's a fundamental difference that people don't get.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

IMO the habit of the enjoyment of inflicting pain, especially unnecessary pain, is one of the most important flags for separating Evil and Neutral (and Good) characters in D&D.

Belkar has travelled far but the road to Neutral is still very very long, and I would cite this reason as a huge hurdle before him.

Hilgya has a peculiar habit of thinking violence first, but we have no real evidence she takes pleasure in such, beyond a bizarre narrow-minded self-centeredness that most any offense against her earns killing.

Eugene raises some interesting questions, because he seems to relish verbally abusing his son, especially when it hurts. That has the whiff of evil, but I do recognize that his interactions with his son might be a weird anomaly in a life that could have been otherwise highly consistently LG.

23. - Top - End - #143

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Really? You think Belkar could be anything other than utterly devastated by finding himself stuck to a wall inside his own mind while a vampire spirit piloted his body, at this point, with how he feels about vampires and how he's reacted to even the lightest restrictions on his freedom in the past?

It's ironic that someone who loves Belkar wants such a horrible fate for him.

Gotta still be technically evil or his clasp wouldn't hurt him to use.
    We've already seen a dwarf who reacted by saying "hey, this is pretty cool!" Given that we know from Durkula that the vampire gets in the driver's seat by looking for the worst moment in the now-deceased person's life, and that Belkar's level of evil peaked at about 3 Kilonazis (more than half of the level of evil of a hypothetical offspring of Sauron and Cruella De Ville), it's more than a little likely that Belkar's vampire spirit would quickly go catatonic from sheer horror, and Belkar's spirit would sigh, free itself, then decide whether he wanted to play with the new powers, or just kiss the sunlight and head off to the chaotic evil afterlife to kill more stuff.
    Last edited by eilandesq; 2018-03-28 at 08:22 PM.
    Sudden thought after watching an old "Lois and Clark" episode: Lane Davies aka Tempus is probably the best possible choice to portray an animated or live action Xykon if either of those ever becomes reality--he was born in 1950 and Tempus' personality is a close match for pre-lich Xykon IMO. Just my two cents.

24. - Top - End - #144

I think that's only marginally more likely than Belkar single-handedly killing the Snarl with his daggers.

Malack was able, without going catatonic, to look forward to turning a continent into an abbatoir; Greg is setting out to destroy the world, hoping he'll get to torment Durkon's best friend as much as possible along the way, including by gloating about the fact that Durkon will suffer for all eternity. Belkar at his worst is strictly little league compared to the free-willed vampires who have already been depicted.

25. - Top - End - #145

I don't know why, but for some reason, I really enjoyed the first panel.

Maybe it's the contrast between Vaarsuvius's facial expression and Elan's facial expression, or the way that Roy looks almost transparent, or maybe just the image of (most of) the Order walking through caverns towards a showdown with an undead evil, but I felt a wave of OOTs nostalgia.

26. - Top - End - #146

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yeah nothing complex here.

Piglet.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Chaotic Evil, the big hint on the Evil part is where he thinks stabbing things in the face is a good way to deal with his internal conflict.
    Well, he talks about it a lot, sure (just like he talked about killing Roy while climbing the mountain), but he doesn't really do that anymore, does he? I mean, before D's death he still did plenty of horrible stuff, but afterward, he's been more bark than bite.

(Well outside of clear combat situations, like the giants, but hey, in that same fight, V burned people alive, Haley relished in being "pointy death incarnate", and Roy taunted people he was trying to kill, so I count it as "normal murderhobo/adventuring")

Oh, I agree he's still south of neutral. But we've seen him show restraint (sort of), guilt (over D), and shame (the gnome merchant). And right there, it looks like he finds his previous attitude irritating ("idiot teammate who's never been anything but a jackass to me"). That's not enough to cross the neutral barrier (for example, he still shows no guilt about his previous murder sprees, even if he didn't partake in them for some time), but it's very un-belkar-y.

The little idiot is growing. I like it :)
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2018-03-29 at 03:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I LOVE!!!! this comic!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

The same Xykon who said he was more scary than the silver dragon?
    After Redcloak called him out on that one he amended it to “scarier than you SHOULD be.”.

So whatever the Monster is, it’s species is pretty scary.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WombleofDarknes View Post
    I think that there may be another interpretation to the panel 11 question ("Who the hell puts someone in that position anyway"). There is a possible answer to this rhetorical question - at least in Belkars mind: Odin.

Take a look at #1097 again; Belkar puts the blame for Durkons exile right where it actually is - at Odins door. If the gods turn up again in this story, I think that it's possible that Belkar is going to be asking some uncomfortable questions of them; in a way that not one of the other characters could.

And then Odin kills him for his insolence.
    Is Odin supposed to be Good or Neutral? I ask because he hasn't had much characterization yet and because while I can reluctantly accept a Good character sacrificing one individual for a greater good (especially when they are in a position of power and thus responsability) I really can't picture killing someone for insolence and calling oneself good.
    Forum Wisdom