New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anime and "S-Class"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    So, followup question-- Has there ever been a joke about a character that doesn't understand the ranking system and misinterprets the meaning of "S-class?"

Y'know, like "Aren't you worried about facing Brick-Fist in the tournament?"

"No, why would I be? He's only ranked as an S-class."

"... S-class? Only?"

"Yeah, 'S' for 'shrimp,' right?"

"No, th-that's not what it means."

"Oh. It must mean 'sucks' then."
    With that many anime around, I'm sure one of them must have pulled something like that just by pure statistics.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    With that many anime around, I'm sure one of them must have pulled something like that just by pure statistics.
    And given how long some of them ran most of the big series probably eventually did have characters who could laugh at S-class. Dragonball Z took almost a hundred episodes before someone went supersayan, and look where that got them.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    And given how long some of them ran most of the big series probably eventually did have characters who could laugh at S-class. Dragonball Z took almost a hundred episodes before someone went supersayan, and look where that got them.
    Oh yeah, the whole Dragonball franchise is crazy like that. My understanding is that one of the themes of the franchise as a whole is that upper limits are for chumps. It's awesome.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Not to my memory. They have a different language remember? that joke wouldn't translate.
    Alternatively, the misunderstanding coulb be that the character thinks S-Class is bad because it's so far down the alphabet.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Alternatively, the misunderstanding coulb be that the character thinks S-Class is bad because it's so far down the alphabet.
    I've a feeling that the concept of "S-Class" is so well understood in the target audience that you could only do that as part of a joke about how the character is exceptionally stupid or unworldly.