New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1116 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Ah, thanks for the correction. I can't believe I've never come across that rule before. I even checked the SRD before posting to make sure I hadn't missed something - but clearly I looked at the wrong page.

Apologies if anyone believed my misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A valley where they could be easily slaughtered, one might say. Some sort if valley of dying, or valley of deadness, or something.

Also, after googling the battle in question to make sure, a passage about the leader of the brigade:

"After riding back up the valley, he considered he had done all that he could and then, with considerable sang-froid, left the field and went on board his yacht in Balaclava harbour, where he ate a champagne dinner."

It must be nice to be a general.
    What a strange reaction. I could easily understand that behavior from an armchair general (it might be callous, but you half-expect it), but not so much from a general who led the charge from the front and was thus putting his life on the line. For those who haven't seen it, a full(er) version of the passage reads:

"Cardigan survived the battle. Although stories circulated afterwards that he was not actually present, he led the charge from the front and, never looking back, did not see what was happening to the troops behind him. He reached the Russian guns, took part in the fight, and then returned alone up the valley without bothering to rally or even find out what had happened to the survivors. He afterwards said all he could think about was his rage against Captain Nolan, who he thought had tried to take over the leadership of the charge from him. After riding back up the valley, he considered he had done all that he could and then, with considerable sang-froid, left the field and went on board his yacht in Balaclava harbour, where he ate a champagne dinner."

Even by the standards of 19th century aristocrats, the fact that he never even bothered trying to figure out what had happened to his men is... strange.

Also, I didn't know yachts were even around in the 1850s. Learning is happening!
    Last edited by Emanick; 2018-04-16 at 01:44 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Even by the standards of 19th century aristocrats, the fact that he never even bothered trying to figure out what had happened to his men is... strange.

Also, I didn't know yachts were even around in the 1850s. Learning is happening!
    In the context of "a vessel used to carry important people" yachts have been around since the 17th century, when Charles II used a Dutch "jacht" to return to take up the crown of England.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Agreed. Looks like this fellow saw his army as a vehicle to get him to the place where he can have his glorious charge. It's not hard to believe that once a vehicle has taken you where you want to go, you get out.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Agreed. Looks like this fellow saw his army as a vehicle to get him to the place where he can have his glorious charge. It's not hard to believe that once a vehicle has taken you where you want to go, you get out.
    His full name and title was Lieutenant General James Thomas Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan. Take that as you will.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-04-16 at 07:05 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #605
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Charge of the Light Brigade led to reforms in how Great Britain selected officers, precisely because the callous behavior of the nobles toward the non-nobles was a bit much even for the other nobles. As a French observer remarked at the time, "It's magnificent, but it's not war". Also, losing wars was bad form, even for the nobles, and the Charge didn't help win the war.

OTOH, what Tennyson did with that terrible story was ... magnificent. The way the rhythm of the poem feels like a galloping horse ... well, anyway, making something heroic out of a stupid slaughter is what Imperial poets do, I suppose.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The Charge of the Light Brigade led to reforms in how Great Britain selected officers, precisely because the callous behavior of the nobles toward the non-nobles was a bit much even for the other nobles. As a French observer remarked at the time, "It's magnificent, but it's not war". Also, losing wars was bad form, even for the nobles, and the Charge didn't help win the war.

OTOH, what Tennyson did with that terrible story was ... magnificent. The way the rhythm of the poem feels like a galloping horse ... well, anyway, making something heroic out of a stupid slaughter is what Imperial poets do, I suppose.
    Charge of the Light Brigade is one of my favorite poems, and was one of the few poems I liked in high school.

I know this doesn't forward the conversation, but I just wanted to comment.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    I know this doesn't forward the conversation, but I just wanted to comment.
    Well, to be fair...

8. - Top - End - #608
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Well, to be fair...

Also, these threads don't have much of a subject to begin with, and it only takes so many pages to really discuss a page in a comic. ;)
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Also, these threads don't have much of a subject to begin with, and it only takes so many pages to really discuss a page in a comic. ;)
    They're not actually for discussing the comic. They're for advertising each new strip in the comic by their presence. What goes in them is quite beside the point.

10. - Top - End - #610

Well, it's better if the thread is entertaining and/or informative.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Does anyone here remember the siege of Azure City? This battle reminds me of it, a lot.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Since Roy's doing all this before he actually enters the room, it couldn't be for the benefit of fooling Durkula, who as far as I can tell can't see what he's doing. Thus, it would only be to fool us, the reader.
    It wasn't obvious to me that Roy wasn't visible to Durkon from where they're standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    (Also, again, I don't see how it makes sense strategically or tactically for the riders to be anything but creatures from the Bag of Tricks.)
    (Yeah, that was a long shot anyway.)

I suspect none of them are druids, since there are probably few dwarves who choose that path. Although I did play a dwarven druid who primarily revered mountains and stone.
    Ah, but several of vampires were created from members of the Creed of Stone, which worships Elemental Earth. I'd practically expect their clergy to include a few Earth Druids like you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    If the Giant scrupulously followed the 3.5 rules, we'd be looking at an artifact. As it is, we don't know what rules apply, but I'm not going to be surprised if the sword has more capabilities.
    Probably the rules from the Weapons of Legacy sourcebook, given that Wrecan specifically uses the term "Weapon of Legacy", and the book that he gives Roy has a simplified/stylized version of the cover of that sourcebook. I think that the specifics have been discussed at least briefly in at least one other thread, although I don't know any of the details myself. The Class and Level Geekery thread probably contains some in-depth analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    You know, I wonder if we aren't underestimating Greg. If Salvatore was writing this story, surely he would be considered Hel's Chosen. That probably gives him an extra trick or two up his own sleeve we haven't seen yet.

I'm not sure Burlow has ever endorsed the idea of Chosen in quite the same way, so maybe it is meaningless here. But maybe not.
    The Oracle has special divinely-granted magic, from which we can infer that characters can, well, have special divinely-granted magic. The details are unimportant, save that Hel in particular probably isn't allowed to grant magic to the living, as being able to do that in other ways would render her inability to have living clerics significantly less meaningful a restriction. But I expect that she's no less capable of specially empowering an undead worshiper than Tiamat is a kobold.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

so there's no actual stat block for chaos giraffes? ;-;
    GENERATION ω+2: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Chaos Giraffes are Conjuration, not Necromancy.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2