Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1116 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    My reaction to the last panel was:

See Spots.
    See Spots run.
    Run, Spots, run.
    I think, in this situation, some different punctuation might be applicable.

See Spots?
    See Spots! Run!
    Run! Spots! Run!!!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

smile Re: OOTS #1116 - The Discussion Thread

Those last three panels is how I envision Rich thinking of this comic. I like the idea that Rich was thinking "how can I really start this thing off the rails...," enter thought of multicolored giraffe attack, Rich's expression as Greg's, and then the though "What? They're cheap to summon and have a ton of hit points." So why not? Who here needs a shirt and/or coffee mug with the giraffe attack? I know I do.

Rich, please make it happen!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

I just hope Ponchola/Ponchula gets out of this okay, I'vs grown fond

(I almost posted "out of this alive", but that's not right).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

There are so many things I love about this strip.
    Belkar's buffing, Haley knowing exactly what Elan's going to ask, the look on Greg's face...

I'm seriously thinking about having the last one as my phone wallpaper. But the journey wallpaper is just too beautiful to get replaced

Love it!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Well, Haley's just jealous that Elan doesn't need a magic wand to become invisible.

Oh wait, I think I phrased that very, very badly...

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    More random than anarchic onagers? Anarchic oryxes?

Yeah, probably.
    Iunno, if I was going to go for a really anarchic artiodactyl, I'd put in for the serow, saiga, or the world's smallest antelope. Imagine a chaotic antelope, charging into battle, going straight for the unsuspecting's knees.
    It'd be a real dik-dik move.

(alternately, WHALE. 'cause they are the best "hoofed animals" to drop onto the battlefield. From a decent height, at least.)

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I just hope Ponchola/Ponchula gets out of this okay, I'vs grown fond

(I almost posted "out of this alive", but that's not right).
    So do I, but hands off of her, I saw her first!
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zyxophoj View Post
    Ordinary giraffes can't, but the Anarchic template bumps a creature's intelligence score up to 3 if it's not at least 3 already. A giraffe - or any other creature for that matter - with 3 intelligence should be able to read, write and speak. (Unless it's a barbarian, in which case it just speaks. Creatures with intelligence at least 3 can have class levels...)
    Also, “reading” the rune means any attempt to study it, identify it, or fathom its meaning.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler: My reaction, to music
    Show
    WHEN THE CHAOS GIRAFFES ARRIVED!
    A cry for help in time of need
    Await relief from holy moot
    12 hours of siege, outnumbered and weak
    Sent a message to the skies
    Wounded Clerics left to rise
    Will they hold the door or will the temple fall
    Dedication, dedication
    They're outnumbered eleven to six
    And the battle's begun
    THEN THE CHAOS GIRAFFES ARRIVED!
    Coming in the montain's inside
    Coming in they turned the tied.
    As the morn is passing by
    And the dead are climbing high
    No escape no salvation
    Traps in explosive hall
    Are carved deep inside the walls
    Plant the spells there andwatch the Order fear
    Desperation - desperation it's a desperate race against the dwarves
    And a race against time
    Coming in they turned the tied.
    Fireballs are coming down from the foof
    Vampires are you ready to die
    We will seek our veangeance eye for an eye
    You will be smoked upon the steps of that chair
    On this field you're only facing our hate
    But back home the goddess' sealing your fate
    We remember
    In september
    That's the night Firmament was freed
    We made the ennemy bleed
    Storm clouds, fire and steel
    Death from above made the ennemy kneel
    Fighting, power and grace
    Death from above it's an army of hooves
    WE REMEMBER
    IN SEPTEMBER
    WHEN THE CHAOS GIRAFFES ARRIVED
    Has anyone complimented this yet? It is magnificent.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

It took me a minute of jaw-dropped blinking before I realized the riders were from Roy's bag of Tricks.

I also just realized Hilgya's choice is in fact not bad at all given the fact that each of those anarchic giraffes gets a Smite Law attack. :-)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Fiendish giraffes. Bold move, Hilgya.
    Looks more anarchic giraffes? Does not have horns or bat wings.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

Check my logic guys - is it possible those small rodents are not actually from Roy's Bag of Tricks at all?

When I noticed that rat saying "wooooo" my first thought is that it's obviously Elan in disguise. He has the Ride skill, he loves animal rides, he would think this is the best thing ever, he has Disguise Self... Of course you can't use Disguise Self to look like something as small as a rat.

Then I thought that the other two could be Haley (sitting close to Elan), and Belkar, the other character that we've shown has the Ride skill and is good with animals.

Roy could have his bag out to clue in Durkula to think that's where they came from so as not to notice them. Can small rodents even ride other animals anyway? Surely normally they would just be charging on the ground, the fact that they're riding seems like more of a PC thing than a small animal thing.

It's definitely a stretch but there's just a number of things that seem off. Especially the rat screaming out "woooooo", I think at the very least that one is Elan. I don't know my 3.5e spells well enough to know what spells could be responsible for this though.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by nachtkriecher View Post
    Check my logic guys - is it possible those small rodents are not actually from Roy's Bag of Tricks at all?

When I noticed that rat saying "wooooo" my first thought is that it's obviously Elan in disguise. He has the Ride skill, he loves animal rides, he would think this is the best thing ever, he has Disguise Self... Of course you can't use Disguise Self to look like something as small as a rat.

Then I thought that the other two could be Haley (sitting close to Elan), and Belkar, the other character that we've shown has the Ride skill and is good with animals.

Roy could have his bag out to clue in Durkula to think that's where they came from so as not to notice them. Can small rodents even ride other animals anyway? Surely normally they would just be charging on the ground, the fact that they're riding seems like more of a PC thing than a small animal thing.

It's definitely a stretch but there's just a number of things that seem off. Especially the rat screaming out "woooooo", I think at the very least that one is Elan. I don't know my 3.5e spells well enough to know what spells could be responsible for this though.
    I was having exactly the same thought.

The woooing rodent is a weird thing for a bunch of conjurations. I don't if their illusions at stakes or if some things more powerful are here (like Polymorphy), but that would be a good way to disturb Greg's plan.

The OotS know the vampires are after V. Hiding him in a swarm of invoked critters will destabilize the vampires' strategy. If giraffes can pump the death symbols and allow then the wizard to pass through, get a safe place and start spamming spells out of range of harm, it can bring the battle in a really good position for the good guys.

I don't know if that's possible or a viable strategy, but it would be a good way to surprise Greg once more.
    If that's true, then I would say that the rodent is probably Elan and the badger is V. The beaver is a real animal from the bag of tricks, here to confused the ennemies.

Does the protection from Law might allow Elan to pass the death symbols without harm?

And to add more to it: At the last panel, we see Roy with the two clerics, at the left side of the door. No sign of Elan or Haley, so that means they move to the right side of the door. Minra moved to the left side, after casting. It may be nothing, but that may be as well a way to hide the "missing characters", transformed/disguised into animals.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    I was having exactly the same thought.

The woooing rodent is a weird thing for a bunch of conjurations. I don't if their illusions at stakes or if some things more powerful are here (like Polymorphy), but that would be a good way to disturb Greg's plan.

The OotS know the vampires are after V. Hiding him in a swarm of invoked critters will destabilize the vampires' strategy. If giraffes can pump the death symbols and allow then the wizard to pass through, get a safe place and start spamming spells out of range of harm, it can bring the battle in a really good position for the good guys.

I don't know if that's possible or a viable strategy, but it would be a good way to surprise Greg once more.
    If that's true, then I would say that the rodent is probably Elan and the badger is V. The beaver is a real animal from the bag of tricks, here to confused the ennemies.
    The animals from the bag of tricks do talk. Miko had a conversation with the weasel, before meeting The Order.

Quote Originally Posted by glowface View Post
    Looks more anarchic giraffes? Does not have horns or bat wings.
    It's half-fiends, not Creatures With The Fiendish Template, that gain bat wings. That said, horns, red colour, yellow eyes, do seem to be the standard, going by the Battle of Azure City arc.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-04-05 at 03:31 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #225
    Pixie in the Playground

Explosive Runes can go home, Anarchic Giraffes is the new best spell.

Oh, and looks like Roy for once got lucky with his bag of tricks! Badgers are terrifying in a fight.
    Last edited by CawCawMarmalade; 2018-04-05 at 04:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    Below, someone has noted that the conjured animals *have* spoken before, but that could be more for Comedic Effect.

What just occurred to me was, what happens if the vamps catch on, and cast something like Dispel Magic, to reveal V?

And what happens if one of the "animals" there is BLOODFEAST?

Yyyyeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :D

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

The closer they get to winning this fight, the more worried I become about that inevitable fight with Hilgya when she announces that she's obviously not down with the "resurrect Durkon" plan, and pulls out a shroud of disintegration.
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2018-04-05 at 05:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228

DwarfClericGuy

That is a tactic that I did not expect: Using summoned creatures to discharge the Symbol.

That created a lot of chaos also which just threw the vampire's plan completely off.

Outstanding move.
    FTDWIR

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sienar View Post
    Could you explain it to me? I feel like I’m missing the reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Dead giraffes make her sad. Hence the sadface.
    Toys'R'Us, a popular chain of toy stores, has recently gone into liquidation, and will soon disappear from the face of the Earth. Its mascot was a giraffe named Geoffrey.
    That's the one, yup.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

It's like the old saying goes -- no plan survives first contact with the enemy's rampaging herd of anarchic giraffes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    They are splitting up. Whichever Symbol is closest to that giraffe will fire (or when they touch one). When it triggers, it hits everything, closest to farthest. Using a bunch of it's total hitpoints of allotted effect.
    I assume that means it would also hit, for example, that vampire that's being trampled?
    Designer of Heroes & Treasure, a family-friendly FRPG featuring art by Erfworld's Xin Ye.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finback View Post
    WHALE. 'cause they are the best "hoofed animals" to drop onto the battlefield. From a decent height, at least.
    As usual, Doraleous and Associates have a good handling of this.
    I prepared Comic Sans today.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    It's like the old saying goes -- no plan survives first contact with the enemy's rampaging herd of anarchic giraffes.
    I don't see a "like" button, so I'll just laugh out loud at this..
    Designer of Heroes & Treasure, a family-friendly FRPG featuring art by Erfworld's Xin Ye.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jay103 View Post
    I assume that means it would also hit, for example, that vampire that's being trampled?
    It would, but I believe that the symbol of Death, being of the Death subtype, doesn't affects the undead. Vampires are likewise immune to mind-affecting effects, so any Symbols of Insanity they might have inscribed will also only target Roy's side.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-04-05 at 09:02 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #235
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Re: OOTS #1116 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    "Nice try, but vampires are immune to sleep and confusion effects."

Care to retract that assertion, Greg?
    Immune to those effects, but it appears not to confusion EVENTS...
    It may not be a high stun confusion, that BSOD confusion look will at least stall him.

Spoiler: I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger/Wizard (3rd/2nd Level)
    Show
    Code:
    Ability Scores:   Information:
    Strength     14   Alignment Lawful Good
    Dexterity    15   Race      Human
    Constitution 13
    Intelligence 14   Class:
    Wisdom       17   Primary   Ranger
    Charisma     11   Secondary Wizard

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Toys'R'Us, a popular chain of toy stores, has recently gone into liquidation, and will soon disappear from the face of the Earth. Its mascot was a giraffe named Geoffrey.
    Thank you.

I completely forgot about that mascot. Considering how much time I spent poring over their catalog before every Christmas, I'm embarrassed by that lapse. Or maybe my brain is just protecting me from the sadness.

Now I'll have to go back and read the entire OOTS archive again to find some joy.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finback View Post
    Iunno, if I was going to go for a really anarchic artiodactyl, I'd put in for the serow, saiga, or the world's smallest antelope. Imagine a chaotic antelope, charging into battle, going straight for the unsuspecting's knees.
    It'd be a real dik-dik move.
    Kudus to you!

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I choose to believe you speak from experience, and have fought at least one giraffe.
    You can't assume he's fought a giraffe. In principle it's just as likely he is a giraffe.
    I prepared Comic Sans today.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by davidbofinger View Post
    You can't assume he's fought a giraffe. In principle it's just as likely he is a giraffe.
    Awaken is pretty high level isn't it? And being able to type on the Internet is tricky for a giraffe.

But even if he was, IIRC giraffes fight other giraffes all the time. roughhousing as kids, dominance displays as adults, all that other fun stuff.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Kudus to you!
    I gnu someone was going to say that!