The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 555
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default The Primeval Dark (IC)



    It was an unearthly and lucid dream, if it could even be called that. The voice rang clear in each of their minds, and within the darkness of the vast dreamscape they could see the shadowy silhouettes of their own companions. Within this place, they could feel and breath, it was as some waking-dream. If what was being heard was to be thought of as true, then this voice, or whoever it belonged to was the trigger, but not the sole cause, of whatever was happening to Golarion - and perhaps even the homes of those other Offworlders who found themselves here. It was an eerie sensation, as if detached and made unliving in some foreign plane without definition. An experience far too vivid, far too unique to be easily dismissed without a thought.

    This darkness, whatever it was, was without a doubt not 'real' - in the sense of presently being a physical or tangible place, but something seen across the telescope of their subconscious. Both reality and fantasy, defined only by the awareness that they came upon such a place which did exist, by some definition - somewhere; but they were not entirely sure where such a plane could reside, nor where they had been for that matter. Perhaps it could have been called a vision or a sort, a spiritual sojourn traveled within their dreams.

    Yet, they could only question 'why were they asleep?' They were in the middle of a mission. Avecna, their new sponsor, had worked tirelessly to arrange this job. Their client Mastil Pebeltin, was a wealthy merchant who ran trade between Korvosa and Magnimar on behalf of the newly minted Warren Trading Co. A collaboration of various nobles and Magnimarian merchants endorsed by the former sponsors of the previous Sandpoint Mercantile League. Avecna had been on exceptionally favorable terms with the Rossfield family, one of the largest sponsors for the new trade group, and won their team the opportunity to be sourced-out as protection for Pebeltin's caravans. An extremely wealthy venture with little overall risk; the perfect money making venture.


    Side-Quest: The Rat of Korvosa
    Mastil Pebeltin has gone missing. Likely abducted by the Rello family, the man has a great deal of enemies in Varisia among every Sczarni faction. Still the man was paying well, despite his underhanded methods. You were fortunate to have come to terms with Lady Rello before this mess got out of hand, or you may have bitten off more than you could chew. Saving Pebeltin would bring greater profit, but sour relations with the Sczarni - while meeting with the Rello family and concluding their business would deepen their bond. Crossing a crime family like the Rellos was not a wise decision, but among the Sczarni friends and enemies often shifted from one to another. It was a matter of respect and reputation. Choices were rarely easy.
    Difficulty: Low | Status: On-going | Profit: Significant | Time: 48 hours
    Objective: Locate & Rescue Pebeltin - (Greater reward/Damage Reputation)
    Alternate Objective: Meet with Affri Rello & claim reparations - (Less reward/Increase Reputation)


    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ




    (Roughly 6 Days Ago)
    It quickly become evident that Pebeltin wasn't all that he appeared to be. The unsatisfying taste of betrayal was an experience not soon forgotten, and so like any experienced Gale they researched their client at length. Soon it was revealed that Mastil Pebeltin was not a simple man like he chose to have others believe. Formerly a member of the Qadira faction of the Society, Pebeltin suffered crushing economic loss after the faction's assets were liquidated during its recent takeover by the new Sczarni-led faction, The Exchange. Unable to maintain business relations, he sunk into Varisia's trade underworld, surviving off black market connections and orchestrating heists of well known Sczarni storehouses and dens to claim some measure of vengeance for his misfortune. He didn't discriminate, sanctioning raids on any Sczarni-endorsed operation, regardless if they supported Guaril Karela, the crimelord who had played mastermind to the faction takeover. Ignorant of the internal civil war being waged between the crime families, he made a massive mistake, becoming an enemy of both sides. While in the grand scheme of things, his efforts only made a small dent in the overall operations of the crime syndicates, the more traditional of the groups could not simply overlook his level of blatant disrespect.

    As it was, this particular job would not be so simple. Pebeltin had, for once, been painfully honest with their objective; he had an acquaintance steal a massive shipment of pesh from the Rello crime family some time ago. It had been successfully hidden away in secret, but he had recently lost contact with his acquaintance which set him into a panic. Fearing his thief was caught, the hiding place was compromised. Your mission this time, was personally escorting Pebeltin & his armed entourage to the hideout located in Sandpoint (right under the Rello family's nose). Meeting your peers for this job, an internal alarm was raised - in the form of Guard Captain Lemuel. With great difficulty his true identity was revealed, thanks to Avecna's connections. Affectionately called 'Jim Hands' by those who knew him, he was a professional killer, a Sczarni executioner under the employ of the Rello family. With over half of their escort composed of men and women who wanted Pebeltin dead, Avecna sought the best method of self preservation available; setting terms with the enemy.

    In only two days, they had found themselves in the same room as the Rello family's head, Afrri Rello. A true pure blooded Varisian, Afrri was a proud and cunning woman, but even among her peers she was known to be patient and personable - never unreasonable, but meticulous and always scheming for the benefits of her house. The Rello family were frequent customers for the Cotton Club, and thus Afrri was no stranger to how their business worked. Thus, putting a strain on that relationship was far from beneficial to her family.

    They came to terms readily. Afrri wouldn't withdraw her men, as Pebeltin had delivered unjust grievance to her family. However, regardless of the outcome they would not resort to violence against the Gales in their efforts to apprehend Pebeltin. Simply put, if Pebeltin happened to simply slip threw the Gale's fingers, he was theirs, but if they could maintain a vigilant guard til the end, then they'd leave him be - this time. In the event of the Gale's failure, the Rello family would cover any penial debt incurred by the quest's failure and provide the mercenaries reparations for having meddled in the affair.


    The moist grit of damp fertile earth could be felt upon their clothes and faces, filling their noses with the thick musk of rich land. The ground was soft, so much so that their fingers pressed down into the deep black soil just by the weight of their limbs. Slowly vision and their senses returned to banish the turbulent state of bewilderment. Few leaves lay about the ground, though the grand web of roots from vigorous gray elms lay thickly placed all about them. A forest. One which was no doubt tended to with great effort, for nothing seemed out of place, no blade of grass nor foliage standing obtrusively, as if seen to by the hand of an exceptional groundskeeper. A mental haze still clouded their thoughts as their mind slowly begun to set the gears of thought and consciousness back into motion. Though distant at first, slowly voices begun to filter in.

    "Eheh...hahaha... Can I..." It was a wild, almost feral tone spoken by the voice of a child. Another rose to quickly retort, a calm and mature man perhaps, "No. They are human... I think". "Shall I take a bite and see? Kehehehe." said the eerie child's voice. The response this time was delivered by a woman, with strength and experience held within her tone, as if counseling the youthful one, "...And how will you face your father when they prove themselves to be so? I will not speak for your defense again." The words seemed to catch the child by surprise, a sense of alarm rising in his voice, "Yiiiik... Gah, no... Elaa, only you will speak for me to father!" An ancient and haunting voice slowly spoke out. It belonged to a man both venerable and wizened by years beyond number. "If born of cause. If born of reason. Action would be more than greed. Greater voices to find at your aid... I suppose." There was a brief moment of silence before the child's voice spoke out once again, this time in confusion, " ........What?" A young woman cleared her throat from a short distance away, "He means to say, if you act with reason other than your own selfish desires you will have the support of your brothers and sisters. Everstill, your brother is correct. These souls will not be acceptable to your father, nor are they yours to take. They are under my care, so I will have you behave or find your hunt elsewhere." A second moment of silence passed before it was violently ended with the deafening and cacophonous roar of a massive beast. It was impossible to tell, but perhaps the very trees shook and trembled beneath that cry, perhaps the very earth tumbled and danced upon the ground from the volume. Perhaps the beast loomed far-far above in the heavens, and had they been closer the wave of sound would have slain them instantly. They couldn't know for certain, for their minds were rendered black and their flesh made numb beneath the ungodly assault. They couldn't even tell for how long that frightful bellow raged on, their grasp of time slowly being eroded away with each passing second. It could have been minutes, or even hours, but eventually the thunderous howl slowly tapered off and died. Then the child spoke once more, with bitterness and spite filling his words, "Selfish? Greed? Don't care! None of you know fun. Fine then, I go. I will rip. Tear. Bite. Hunt. Like hunters should. Like Elil should! Maybe you remember that when I return." Though there was no physical sensation; no sound nor feeling to hint at it, they each could mentally feel something depart... an absence of something they couldn't define, a unique awareness of an ineffable type of presence which simply was not here. There were no words in any mortal tongue to define it, it simply was, whatever wasn't here.

    A long silence choked the air before a gruff and strong masculine man spoke out flatly, "...Ka, isn't wrong brother. Still, you baby him so Elaa." The adult woman spoke again, "Perhaps..." "No, he is not, but that is not all we are. We have a duty to father and the hunt to honor. his law. Without honor to the wheel, we would be without purpose. Ka is slave to his desire, but that was how he was born when written, In his own way he brings us balance and reminds us what we are." The powerful masculine voice paused as if in contemplation of the words he had received before responding in kind, "Your words bring me insight, brother." The young woman who had spoken before the petrifying howl once again exchanged words, "Maa speaks with great wisdom. Let this be lesson to all of you, to hold to your duty and remain loyal to the cycle. You must not become like those who have forgotten their way in this place. Ka performs his duty in his own way, his is a wild and ferocious method, but proof of the pride all kin hold, and the heart of Elil. He cannot be dissuaded, nor can he be led astray from the natural order; that is his selfishness." A rough, strained man's voice croaked out from somewhere afar, as if quietly waiting, "Heh, Loyalty?" The young woman seemed to take note of the man, correcting herself quickly, "None can question your loyalty, Vec. Though the same cannot be said of your brothers and sisters, not all have gone to lengths as great as you to uphold the balance. Many are still far too young and may be led awry still, they need your guidance." There was the briefest of pauses, as if the man had taken note of something, "And they will have it... Mistress, the mortals are waking. I must return now, we will meet again at the hunt." The familiar sense of an unexplainable absence seemed to encroach upon them with those words, "Farewell my friend."


    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ


    Date: Unknown - Time: Unknown (Night, Assumed) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Unknown Location
    Somewhere Outside Sandpoint


    Denil's groans were the first real thing which came to their ears, amid all of the confusion of eerie chatter and the waves of nausea. The plump Halfling rolled on his back, the sound of a frying pan clattering with the other cooking utensils he kept tied to his overstuffed travel bag, was perhaps for the first time, a welcome annoyance. Denil wasn't a particularly pleasant nor kind individual, in fact quite a few souls would consider it a pleasure to be spared his company. However, he had many things other Chroniclers did not, guile, wit and a vast sum of experience. But above all else, he was loyal to Avecna, which made him a trustworthly ally - and that was something you couldn't buy. Denil Demn was a man with a somewhat caustic personality, neither friendly nor particularly welcoming, but was an experienced adventurer and renowned for his resourcefulness. Those who knew him best liked to say that beneath his hard and crusty exterior was a fine mentor who cared deeply about others, and while the man might have been regarded well as a field-instructor, none of them had seen any 'caring side' to speak of. Denil was always the first person to berate and chastise any Pathfinder or Gale in his company for their lack of preparation or carelessness - but to his credit, those he traveled with rarely died. Some might have claimed that was his own way of doing things, and how he cared for those with him - but that was something of a hard sell to anyone who had to put up with him. "Ugh, you dumb kids still alive?" the short man gruffly mused.

    A looming cloud of thick mist hung all about them, obscuring vision beyond the clearing which lay about. The limbs of the great tree's stretched on through the mist and out of sight. The circle which they lay within was completely clear of all debris, in a perfect sharply maintained parameter. There were no paths which crossed through the treeline nor the 20ft wide circular field which they lay. The rich soil was black and light in weight, with the consistency of fresh topsoil mixed with manure. The Halfling made a sour face as he took a quick survey of what little they could see. "...You hear that?" the distant Korvosan accent had mostly been lost from his voice, leaving a slight twang in his words. They heard nothing. In fact, an otherworldly stillness seemed to paralyze the world and a hushed silence permeated all things, a deathly-eerie quiet. Not even the breath of the wind, nor the rustle of leaves visited to end the unsettling stillness. There was nothing, only the absolute solitude of a world made mute. The late middle-aged Halfling dug into the deep inner pockets of the folds of his clothes, producing a large brass compass-like device which held no needle nor directional markings, only a bead of unusual silvery metal. Pulling a familiar flask from his belt he filled the brass device with holy water, the ball seemed to bob and pulse to life, dancing in a series of gestures beneath the glass-face of the tool. "Awh, sheit... We need to get out of here. We're somewhere between Point 21 and 19 - The Gap"

    The wilderness was a vast and dangerous place, more so because tainted lands could spring up over night. It was the job of various surveyors to comb through the land frequently and detect these changes, those who specialized in mapping the emergence, disappearance or condition of tainted lands were called Voyagers. The brave men who risked their lives recording these locations named each location numerically as a 'Point', some didn't have formal names, but Point 21 did - they could never forget about the incident at Greylight. The region between Greylight and Point 19 was known as 'The Gap' to Gales and experienced adventurers in Varisia. It was a space known for being influenced by two tainted land regions at once, filling it with untold dangers and Veilbeasts, which was slowly beginning to make travel north along the Lost Coast road more and more perilous. "We need to get outta here and find a place to bed down til morn...."

    A woman's quiet laughter split the otherworldly quiet which hung thick around them. The Halfling's words were cut-off mid-way by the sudden sound. His face grew pale as he slid the strange brass compass away and skulked a step back to the cover of a tree. "Welcome, guests. I am the guardian of this forest. I have tended to you when you could not tend to yourself, but now you must leave this place. My protection lasts only til the first ray of dawn's light, then I must depart and you will fend for yourselves. If life is your desire, you must move quickly. I will guide the way you wish to travel, while my time remains." It was perhaps, the last waning hours of a winter night, that realization had just come to them now. Yet, they did not freeze nor feel the familiar chill which had slain so many who carelessly traveled these dangerous hours. It was humid and warm, as if the mist were some moist screen keeping the cold at bay. It likely wouldn't last.

    Spoiler: Optional Checks
    Show
    Optional:
    Knowledge (Local) - Location
    Knowledge (Nature) - Foliage & Weather
    Knowledge (Survival)- Time




    Main Quest: The Secret of Beasts
    Disoriented and bewildered, the party finds themselves waking from a strange vision in a place they have never been. Waking on the ground of a forest after an unknown period of time has past, they are confronted by the Guardian of this forest. The dream-visions still linger fresh in each of their minds, haunting them with questions and no answers. If what was experienced could be through of as true, the death of the world loomed upon them, and when this tortured vessel - this Colossus, who carried the darkness fell, everything would end beneath its crushing weight. They had to do something before it was to late, they had to uncover the secret of the beasts.
    Difficulty: None| Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: Unknown
    Objective: Locate the Guardian and win their aid with the knowledge from your dreams.



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 03:55 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Aden groaned as he came to consciousness, his scars throbbing with a dull ache. Slowly, he rose to his feet, first checking for his weapon, then his armor, then his gear. All still present, though now was not the time to sift through the backpack to check everything.

    Holding still, Aden took stock of his surroundings. The strange uniformity, the warmth of the fog, Denil's aggravating condescension. An unfamiliar voice. Of course. Good. What was the last thing he remembered? Talking with the Rello family. Escorting Pebeltin. It was supposed to be an easy mission, but when was anything ever easy?

    Ignoring the mystery voice for now, Aden called out. "Right team, sound off. Name, status, last memory of something real. Aden, physically sound, we were negotiating with the Rello family. I hear you, Denil. Status and last real memory." As the others responded, Aden began to dig through his pack for his compass. Might as well try to start figuring out which way civilization was.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Survival Check to determine North, including bonus from compass.
    (1d20+8)[14]
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Arina opened her eyes, disoriented, and shut them tight again for a long moment to clear her head. Slowly, she got to her feet and took stock of her surroundings. For once, the whispers were actually somewhat comforting; they had been noticeably absent in the... dream? Vision? Whatever she had just woken up from. Had they been absent still, she would have thought she was still trapped in some sort of otherworld. The halfling's declaration was surprising enough--how in the world had they ended up in one of the most dangerous places in Golarion short of the Tainted Lands themselves?--but not quite as much as the voice which seemed to speak to them all, from everywhere and nowhere. It's message, at least, was clear enough--they had no time to waste.

    "Arina. I'm... I'm okay. I also remember being at the negotiations." She realized her hand rested on the brooch fastening her cloak, and she quickly lowered it, annoyed at herself. You still haven't learned to break bad habits, Arina. She was taking stock of her surroundings and her other companions when the words of that voice caught up to her. What did that voice call herself? Guardian of the forest? Hadn't the vision said to find the Guardian of the Sacred Grove? It was all a lot to take in, more than she was able to sort through while still shaken up and disoriented... but if the vision had been true, this might be the very being they were supposed to find. "Do the rest of you remember a vision?" she asks quietly. "Before we all woke up here?" As her head cleared, she began trying to orient herself and help the others plot a course out of... wherever they were.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Do we see the wagon with our gear here as well? Or is it just us?
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-04-08 at 12:19 PM.
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The needle of Aden's compass spun in full circle once before finding a heading, after a moment it violently snapped to the left before returning back to its original placement. The dance continued on intermittently without end, but with that he knew where they were. Arina's gaze found the distant and diminishing light of the stars above, and with it, the realization of the time. Roughly an hour remained til the first light of dawn would break.


    Date: Unknown - Time: 4:02 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    Denil's face screwed up in confusion, "You don't mean to tell me you don't remember a damn thing, do ya? After we dropped the Crowley-boy off at Ashen Moor, he tipped us off to that kid the damn gypsies brought on the caravan back. We never expected Rello to be paying children too, so they got the jump on us." He paused, "...Any of this ringing a bell yet?" It wasn't. "Whoever the kid was, he had a Potential. Took us out. Then they split the caravan, one half north and another south. They took our wagons back north, towards Sandpoint."



    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-11-16 at 08:20 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The darkness of the dreamscape was a comfort to her, darkness had always been her friend even before she had come to this world. As she stood there staring off into the dark she looked around at the silhouettes of the others, "Seems like even in a dream we are bound to each other, guess if our fates are tied together like that voice had stated then it would make sense for them to be here with me. I wonder if the others enjoy the dark as much as I do, it has always been there for me... The one guaranteed thing in every night." As the voice faded off she began to wonder why she was here, when had she fallen asleep, she couldn't remember. There was just a black space in her memory, she thought back to what she had last been doing.



    She didn't care for the man that Avecna had found, Pebeltin had dug himself a hole. One that would end up being his grave if it wasn't for the money he was offering. He had gotten into trouble with the Sczarni and was trying to escape. Her group had just gotten done meeting with the Rello family and had managed to come to a deal with them. They could try and escort Pebeltin safely to his destination while the Sczarni would try and steal him away or they could leave him to the Sczarni and still make some money off of the mans death. If she was to be honest with herself she would much rather just let the Sczarni families have him, it was a much safer bet and could help them out later down the line if they ever needed the help of any of the Sczarni families. But in the end it was not completely her choice, she still needed to figure out how the rest of the group felt.... hopefully they were of a similar mind as her.



    As the darkness slowly faded away she became away of her surroundings. The thick smell of damp earth filled her nostrils, the softness of it caressing her as she laid there collecting her thoughts. Opening her eyes she waited for them to adjust to the darkness of the night. As they adjusted she began making out the web of roots that sprouted from the trees around her, "Another forest, grand... why is it that I keep waking up in forests without memories. Hopefully this time im not in an even younger body, or on another world again... One time is plenty for this life." As her mind started to catch up she began hearing voices around her. The first one seemed to be some sort of child, it was an unnerving voice as it seemed that it wanted to eat her and some others that must have been in the area as well. Thankfully a few more voices had risen up in their defense and seemed to keep the child from devouring her. She laid there listening to the voices, she tried to memorize the names being said. The Child seemed to be called Ka, he sounded wild and untamed as if the darkness itself had driven him mad. The second voice she heard seemed to belong to a man that none of the others seemed to have named, apparently he was Maa or at least that's what it seemed like seeing as he sounded wise and they had referenced him as such. The first female voice appeared to belong to a woman named Elaa, she seemed nice enough but apparently babied the child to much. There was another male voice, this one seemed wise but she never heard a name for him... She decided to call him the Elder since he sounded old and wise. The next female voice also did not get a name, it seemed though that this one was a voice of reason to the rest. She decided to call this voice Reason as it was what identified it the most. A strong male voice had entered the discussion, this one did not speak much but had named another... She liked his voice, it was strong and filled with power she would call him The Strong One. A final voice had spoken, this was had been named as belonging to Vec. As the conversation continued she was taken aback at the feeling of different presences vanishing suddenly, it was a welcomed thing as some of the being had a harsh presence that worried her a bit. Of course the entire conversation worried her, these being kept talking about a Hunt. She did not know what the hunt entailed but if the child's actions were anything to go by then it might have been sapient beings that were being hunted.

    As the last presence vanished from her senses she began to hear the groans of Denil as he woke up and began moving about. The clanging of his pack a welcoming sound after having listened to the different voices. Pushing herself up onto her knees she stifled down a groan of her own as a wave of nausea clung to her mind. As the nausea passed she took the time to survey the immediate area, black soil was under their feet as a heavy mist concealed much of the forest beyond it. At Denils mention of the lack of sound she strained her ears listening for anything, after a moment of not hearing a noise she began to get a sinking feeling in her stomach. "Why is it that I keep waking up in forests without memories and its always so silent. I guess at least this time im not alone." Standing up she checks her body over as she listens to Denil talk. The suddenness of a woman's laugh sent her heart into overdrive a slight squeak coming out of her mouth, it didn't seem like a malicious laugh but still the timing of it and the fact that there was no other noises in the forest had startled her a bit. As the woman spoke she realized that she had heard this voice once before, it was the same woman that had been speaking to the other entities. Her ears perked up as she listened, the woman seemed to want to help them... but she could only help to the sun rose, they needed to act fast.

    Hearing Aden and Arina speak up reminded her that she needed to put her facade back in place, though she hadn't fully broke it her voice hadn't been one of either cheerfulness or dread at the current predicament. As she set herself right she quickly replied to the others hoping that none had noticed her slip up, "Umm, I-Its stella... I think I'm good, though a bit worried as to where we are and what happened... Last memory I have besides that surreal dream was of the Rello family and us striking a deal with them. I don't remember any of what Denil said happened, maybe the kids potential is why we can't remember." Pulling her shoulders in she tried to make herself seem small and fragile, "Ummm, if they took our stuff back to sandpoint I would much like to go back there and have it returned. That carriage was my home and it had a lot of my stuff still in it... If Mister Pebeltin was taken then I think it would just be better to get our wagons back and meet with the Rello Family for their offer." She stands there looking at the ground with her hands fidgeting as she waits for the others to reply.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Rolls
    Know Local: (1d20+8)[26]
    Know Nature: (1d20+8)[23]
    Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-04-08 at 10:53 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    As the others roused, Feliks did as well. Groaning softly to himself, he didn't dare yet speak. Instead he moved the spit on his tongue, licking the inside of his cheek, behind his teeth, and around the front. He didn't seem to have any food around there, and his mouth tasted as normal as it could.

    He moved slowly, but deliberately, pinching his arm next to see how fast it sprung back. They couldn't have been out too long, otherwise the effects of dehydration would start settling in a little more. Let the others decide what happened in the past, he was going to look into the future.

    He took stock of what he knew, which was very little of the current situation. He pulled out his pocket watch, checking the time it had on it, before taking stock of what was around him. In a few moments he nods a little. "Yes. We'll need to hurry." he says simply.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    I might not be a Scholar, but I'm one skillful bastard.
    Knowledge (Local) (1d20+8)[17]
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+8)[16]
    Survival (1d20+9)[21]
    Heal (1d20+10)[24]

    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)


    Stella knew with one look at the dull gray trees and the glassy foliage that they stood directly within the midst of a tainted land. An unnatural and cultivated forest, showing perfect order and symmetry in the face of all that should be wild and free.

    Feliks's self survey and conclusion was sound, he knew it was, yet he couldn't deny the truth of his time-piece. Physically, it had been perhaps but a few hours, no more. Yet, he could easily determine the true date and time with his fine tool... Four days!? He knew he wasn't wrong. It had been four days, or rather five with the rising of this morning's sun. They had been somewhere, or unconscious, left in this field for nearly five days... It wasn't possible; At least not for them to have been where they were currently without food nor water. There had to have been an answer.


    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 4:03 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    Denil groaned to himself, pressing a sweaty palm to his forehand and sliding it down his face to remove the dispirited look from his own face. "Look, I don't know what happened to you kids, or what you don't know. We can deal with that once we have a safe place to think, but that aint here - and it aint now. If we're in the Gap we need to head west til we hit Lost Coast road, once we're on the highway we can get some distance between us and Foxglove river, and goddamed Bleaklow Moor, because none of those places has a damned creature that wont kill us. If I had my way i'd say we're better off heading north, back to Sandpoint. The Sczarni can have Pebeltin for all I care, he was an idiot anyway..." The halfling took a long pause, his gaze drawn over to a form partially buried in the soft dirt. Though barely visible amid the haze of the mist, his eyes squinted inquisitively to make out the form before they went wide in shock and surprise. With a sudden bolting motion he dashed over and pulled the figure up from the dirt, "Kid! Gods be good!" he cursed. He swat Ecta's cheek as if to wake her, yet she remained unresponsive.

    The light clatter of a porcelain dish clinked somewhere off in the distance before a familiar voice once again spoke out. "I do hope you've finished your preparations, each minute wasted here is best spent elsewhere." Denil's gaze darted about the clearing, cradling Ecta in an arm, it was impossible to tell the direction of the voice. It was as if the voice were coming from literally every direction at once, like it was projected from the limb of every tree and leaf. He shouted back at the gloom and mist, "Come out you beast! What have you done, fix her!" Clink. The familiar sound of dining finery rang out louder this time, as if perturbed by the old halfling's words.

    There was a crushing silence, a familiar stillness encroaching about them. Though there was no movement, no sound, no physical sensation Stella could mentally feel the shift. Within the back of her mind an image played. An image of a great swath of leering shadowy claws. They lashed and writhed, grasping and pulling at a great door of ruined white stone. Then the vision was gone. (Passive - DC15 K:Abstract - Passed)

    For the briefest of moments, she saw something; The smile of a bloodied face with hair of silver. A masked man whose glass eyes glowed a burning red. Then Adessa, before a mirror whose surface reflected winding paths inverting, falling, rising and twisting - lined with doors unlike any which could be. The sudden memory came and departed, leaving only the maddening certainty that she once knew what these doors were - what they were called... and how to use them, in another life.

    The mist slowly expanded outward, creating a field of clear vision and revealing the perimeter of where they stood. Countless eyes stared back at them. Countless Owls with translucent gray feathers. They were as transparent as ghosts and held beaming eyes of gleaming white light, that seemed to burn with a malicious and unpleasant gaze. They filled every skeletal canopy in a complete encirclement, but one figure was visible amid the ghastly flock. By her figure, it was evident she was female - but it was immediately clear that whatever manner of creature they found before them was neither human nor mortal. Her legs swung lazily from her seat, perched with the owls, but her legs were possibly the only thing human about her. A living shroud of gray shifting ghostly matter cloaked most of the rest of her body, and the same spirit-stuff seemed to compose her other limbs up to her hands, which appeared as if composed of flesh - though still transparent. Large wings hung down from the folds of the mantle and spilled over her perch. However, that was far from her most shocking feature, for she simply had no face. Or perhaps it may have been more accurate to say she had no head or neck, maybe even absent a torso. Her body was nearly entirely defined and held by the ghostly veil, but there was no physical form beneath. A faceless horrible shadow, holding a teacup and fine plate. Reaching at her side, she grasped a lavish steel peculator engraved with pleasant floral arrangements.

    With calm purposeful gestures she refilled her cup before returning the dish to its place. Lifting the cup, she paused, letting the warm rising steam rush up to where her face would be, as it to enjoy the scent. Slowly she took a sip from the cup, the contents seemingly vanishing, as if a mouth existed where it should be, but being so unsettlingly absent. In unison every owl which surrounded the clearing opened their mouths wide and ridged, they didn't budge as if held in place. From their unmoving orifices the woman's voice poured out, as if from so many speakers. "I apologize, perhaps we should start again? I am the Waldfrau, Guardian of the Sacred Grove - Du'ased'taur. By the will of The First, I have fulfilled my duty and have seen that no harm come to you within my domain. Know well, I have not mended you. The state which you have found yourselves delivered, is the state which you have been received. Now please, decide what you will do. My time wanes."

    Denil frowned but didn't act out, he hadn't survived for so long by letting his emotions make him daft. There was no way in hell he could stand a chance defeating... whatever the hell this thing was supposed to be. Weapon blanches only went so far. His gaze drifted over towards the rest of them. "She'll slow us down... but we can't leave her here. This doesn't look like no kinda wound, but some kinda curse, or something. A curse'll steal your memories and knock a man out cold... forever, if you let it be. We can try for the highway and hope to find a caravan that can bring us up to Sandpoint... or we can try something else. I won't stop you if you're set on finding Plebeltin, but we need to get this girl looked at. I have a... friend, I guess, an Erutaki shaman who lives in the Gap. Not far from here, just north of the Whisperwood. He could help us I'm sure."








    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 03:59 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Aden turned towards the apparition as it came into focus. The image was certainly a disturbing one, but Aden had seen enough disturbing images at this point. The thief planted his spear in the ground, and bowed, slightly. "We thank you for your hospitality, Guardian, and ask your forgiveness for our slow awakening. Some mischief seems to have been done to us. And while..."

    Aden glanced backwards at Ecta's unmoving body. "Hell's bells. Look, Guardian, I've never been good at talking fancy like you do, so I'm sorry if I do you any offense. Our companion's in a bad way. If you've been keeping us safe this far, will you help us find Denil's shaman friend? Keep us safe until we can get Ecta help? It's asking more after you've done us a service already, I know. But...I dreamed of the First. I think. I don't know, exactly. A voice told me you'd be here. Told me to tell you we serve The First. That we seek to end chaos. That you would help us find the path. Truth told, I don't know what that means. But as much as I want answers, Ecta's our first priority. So will you help us get where we're going?"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)


    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 4:03 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    The Waldfrau nodded in acknowledgement of the scarred man's words. She paused briefly at his mention of the strange dream-vision's naming of The First, whatever - or whoever that was. The glade seemed to briefly dim then lighten, as if a shadow passed by; a shadow in the shape of a massive taloned hand. "I see... What you speak is true." The owls echoed. "Pay no mind to formality. You are not of our kin nor custom, and so such cannot be expected of you. It is my duty to protect you, and see you through my domain. I would see you to the end of your destination, but I have tended to both body and spirit beneath four moons. My time now diminishes as I do... Ehm, simply put; I am not such a creature which should exist beneath the light of day. Four suns I have suffered for you, but a fifth I cannot abide. No longer can I remain within your world for days without rest. I will provide safe passage, but you've less than an hour's time to appreciate such succor. For with the first light of dawn, I will be made to depart."

    Raising a ghostly hand the circling trees begun to part forming a path. "The man you seek dwells beyond this path. I will explain what I may with these brief moments, but there will be time for answers. Return again when night has fallen. You'd best move quickly." The mist seemed to drift down the new dirt pathway which led away from the clearing, it flooded forth as if funneling through a tube. Its height and distance strictly contained, as if invisible surfaces guided the humid smog.




    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 03:58 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    As the voice spoke again she began looking all around her for the source, Denil had called out to the beast and a clink of porcelain sounded before she was thrust into a vision. It played in her mind and just as quickly as it came it was suddenly gone, a memory followed it, one that must of been of her previous life. The doors that she knew but could not know, what were they... how did she use them, she could not remember. As the mist retreated from the clearing she finally was able to see the being that had been speaking to them. The woman was sitting there drinking tea, for some reason it unnerved her. The woman called herself Waldfrau and was apparently the Guardian of the Sacred Grove - Du'ased'taur, that must be where they are at now. At the mention of The First her mind drifts back to the vision she had seemed to share with the others, it had been a vision from The First, one that had tasked them with finding out the truth of the Veilbeasts. The First had stated that The Guardian of the Sacred Grove would be able to help them with this. Before she could ask the woman about the questions she had Denil spoke up about finding safety with a shaman that lived close by. She thought that it would be a great idea, she herself was a shaman of sorts as well as a witch, so maybe this woman could teach her something useful as well as help Ecta.

    As Aden spoke she moved closer to Denil as to possibly assist with Ecta, Hearing Aden say that he was for going to the shaman was a blessing. "At least someone in this damned place can think smart, hopefully the others won't take an issue with leaving that idiot to the Sczarni. Best keep him around, he seems useful enough." As Aden mentioned the vision to Waldfrau, she once again thought that this man would be of use to her later in life. As the mist drifted down to the ground creating a path for them to walk through the forest on she couldn't help but take a step closer towards Waldfrau. The question was on the tip of her tongue, what was this being... could she really reveal the secrets of the veilbeasts to them? Looking back towards the path that was created she slowly steps towards it keeping her eye on Waldfrau as best as she could. "I thank you for the assistance, umm if its not to much then we will be back. If the vision that The First spoke to us in was real and true then you could very well help us in understanding the Truth of the Veilbeasts. If your aid is needed then we will request that aid of you, if you aren't able to stand the sun then we will be back once its dark to speak with you again. I do ask that during that time you provide us with protection as you have done for these past few days." Turning fully to the woman, she bows deeply to show her gratitude to Walfrau before making her way back over to the path. As she goes to step on the path she looks back once more in wonder of what the woman is and begins to think deeply on it.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Some Rolls

    (Rolling twice and taking best due to Focused Mind)
    Know Abstracts: (1d20+21)[41] or (1d20+21)[31]
    Know Forbidden: (1d20+26)[38] or (1d20+26)[39]


  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    With a long sigh, Feliks looked over the rest of the group. Most were uninjured, the only one who was any sort of trouble was Ecta. Taking a moment, he pulls a bedroll out of his pack, and a strange pole with little spikes, rings and rods. A Traveler's anytool. He never left home without it. Taking it, twisting turning and pulling, he combined the tool with a the bedroll to make a makeshift stretcher.

    He was nothing, if not resourceful, always trying to come up with the next solution to the next problem, though he wasn't much of a talker. Already convinced that the thing meant no harm to them, after all, it could have killed them long ago, he took its warnings to heart. They needed to get out of there and quickly.

    "Come we need to get her up and on this. Then leave. We don't have much time."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)


    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 4:04 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    Denil raised a brow at Feliks's use of tools. If the alchemist didn't know any better, he might have thought the halfling to be impressed. "Fine use of tools. That creativity is gonna save these kid's lives one day. I might make an adventurer of you yet... but lets use this." Placing down his absurdly overstuffed bag he easily pulled out a folding steel stretcher. Though it was light, it was strong and ridged when the joints were locked into place, firm nylon straps allowed the victim to be securely held in place without risk of falling out. Legs fixed with sturdy polypropylene wheels were bolted to each limb and held safety latches to keep them from spinning or allowing free movement or dictating a particular direction. "You can keep this one, I'm sure you'll put it to good use." With some difficulty Ecta was secured in place on the modern stretcher, ready to be moved.

    Spoiler: Item: Muti-level Folding Stretcher
    Show

    Weight: 5lbs (folded) 15lbs (unfolded)
    Weight capacity : 700lbs
    Benefit: Allows a creature to be moved (dragged) at the operators full land speed. Creatures in this device gain a +2 bonus to fortitude saves made to stabilize.


    The unnerving apparition took another sip from her cup, nodding at Stella. "Of course. Though, it would do you well knowing that it is not The First with whom you've been given word, but another. Something else. Someone, once, but no longer." The tree's seemed to rotate, revolve, as if each root were fixed upon some manner of conveyor-belt, moving the Waldfrau's perch as they all set off into motion. Only Stella could see the strange silhouette of hands upon each tree, they moved and pulled, pushed, dancing in a perfect unity - as if directing the movement of trees. The party pressed forward down the misty pathway which had been provided to them, with the Waldfrau's tree seemingly cruising like a wooden vessel through the land at their side. She didn't speak at first, but seemed to quietly eye the woman. "You can see them, can you not? The hands. Seeing such things while not made manifest makes one a Witch in our realm, but they are from different from what you might call a 'witch' in your lands. They do not control such magics which could burn nor maim or kill. They are the intermediaries between the gods, their servants and the natural order. Keepers of a cycle of balance which maintains the harmony between the planes of our homeland. It is a rare gift."

    Though the memory was distant, it revealed itself within the back of her mind. It was this world that Waldfrau spoke of which Adessa hailed from. Whatever it was called, the name had escaped her, but this unique awareness was the foundation of her magic - true magic, not the comedic routines of the wizards of this world. There were forces which bound and the threads of every reality and every universe. They could be grasped, twisted, unraveled and remade. Each practice of variant magic which was penned in her earliest works was simply a stepping stone, a means to an end to achieve that awareness here, with those unique forces that fabricated the Great Beyond. That sudden realization seemed to open an eye once closed within her mind, she could see it now, thin glass-like spider threads of energy filling the forest-world around her. The black hands pulled, twisted and tugged at them, weaving intricate patters of geometry. With each gesture the world changed, the tree moved forward. Dozens of hands grasping a single series of threads, to deliver a mind-numbing amount of iterations of commands for each tree moved, for each foot advanced. It happened to effortlessly, without the slightest gesture of difficulty. "So you can see it now as well. Good. You will need to reclaim your power if you wish for the strength to face the creatures who plague your world." (Knowledge: Abstract - Passed)


    Main Quest: The Secret of Beasts
    Disoriented and bewildered, the party finds themselves waking from a strange vision in a place they have never been. Waking on the ground of a forest after an unknown period of time has past, they are confronted by the Guardian of this forest. The dream-visions still linger fresh in each of their minds, haunting them with questions and no answers. If what was experienced could be through of as true, the death of the world loomed upon them, and when this tortured vessel - this Colossus, who carried the darkness fell, everything would end beneath its crushing weight. They had to do something before it was to late, they had to uncover the secret of the beasts.
    Difficulty: None| Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: Unknown
    Objective: You have found the Guardian, but she cannot remain during the day light hours. Answers to problems and perhaps even your muddled memories lay with her. Return during night and learn what you can.


    The eyeless gaze of the Guardian shifted over to Aden and his companions, "These... Veilbeasts, as you call them, are not creatures of your world. They are native to my own, and they are called Ramath'barra. They are existences now born from the cleansed souls of those who have departed from life, but this was not always so. These creatures are the memories of suffering, dreams of pain, and every agony which is stripped from a mortal soul. With every death, the soul is cleansed of memories and pain of their life to be made ready for their rebirth. Ramath'barra are the 'soul-waste' which how polluted the worlds of my realm. To remedy this, The Third divided the material plane of our realms between Isto'thac, the land of nightmare-dreams, and Tangi'thac the land of waking day. Du'ased'taur, my grove, is a place of rest for my children, the Aphyon'beksu. We are owls, Elil of Isto'thac who feed upon your Veilbeasts - the Ramath'barra. If you wish to learn to defeat such creatures, you must also understand that there are very different types of these 'Veilbeasts', and they hold no relation to one another. Just as a 'mortal' may be a human or elk. Never confuse Ramath'barra with Ramath'silinrul, they are not prey, nor are they created by the waste of passing spirits. They exist as written by The First, each created by her own hand and wield frightful strength and purpose - for like me, they are Elil."

    The edge of the forest begun to creep into view, a chill wind crept into the humid warmth. It seemed to grow with each step as they pressed on forward, the mist thinning as they went. In the distance a large mound of earth and wood stood defensively placed between large boulders and old wilting trees. They had walked for some time. Beads of bone and strange painted charms lay all about the closer they came. "From here you should manage. My time has almost passed, now I must depart. Farewell." The Guardian's form seemed to blur and fade until she and her trees were no where to be seen. Denil continued on forward, pulling on a rope which hung from a tree as he went, causing a series of bells and chimes to ring off in the distance.

    Spoiler: (Stella) Knowledge (Forbidden)
    Show

    A voice seemed to whisper out from somewhere. It wasn't physically present, and nothing truly reached her ear. It was as if her heart had caught hold of some distant emotion from far away, and those feelings were made into words. She couldn't understand them, almost impossible to make out. Like eavesdropping on whispers from a well, white noise.


    An old voice called out from somewhere off in the distance, perhaps from inside the earthen house, "Wenyri, is that you?". A gray haired man with a moderate beard emerged from behind a heavy wooden door. He supported his weight on a solid wooden cane, and despite his haggard appearance his hair and clothes were well maintained. His clothes were traditional Erutaki garments of lightly colored greens, blues and whites, with a heavy woolen pancho and an assortment of scarves embroidered with Varisian patterns. The old man paused in the doorway, squinting his eyes, "...Is that... Denil Demn?" The halfling snorted "Either that or you're finally going mad, old man." The silvered shaman stroked his beard, "It's been.... huh, twenty years?" The shortman had made it to the front of the shaman's home as he spoke. "Well, that sure was a pleasant surprise.... See you in another twenty, you rat-faced gremlin." The door slammed sharply behind the man as he skulked back into his home. "You rotten old man! Open this damn door before I blow it down!"

    Spoiler: (Stella) Knowledge (Forbidden)
    Show

    It struck suddenly, a wash of crushing darkness to drown out the rest of her world.

    "Hmmm... And just what manner of creature are you supposed to be?"

    The voice was deep, almost charming with an effortless eloquence. Within the void of darkness, something was with her, something was here. Her vision slowly begun to come into focus. The distant flicker of crimson fireflies drifted to and fro, broken stone and shattered furniture about the size of what might be used by halflings lay scattered about. There was dried spatters of blood across the mud-brick walls and mortar, which had been built with so much care. He was a massive thing, which could barely fit properly in the room. A great lumbering mound of shifting fur and muscle, with fangs the size of her forearm.

    The massive wolf slowly smiled uncharacteristically. He was no animal, the cunning and guile in his eyes gleamed with an intelligence far greater then perhaps even herself. "No tail? No ears? ...What could you be, I wonder." The massive creature paced a circle about her, it's words carried a cloud of breath which smelled like scented corpses, bodies washed and doused with perfume after preservation. Each powerful word delivered from his great maw pushed her hair with the weight of the air. His lips and face possessed the intricate definition to perfectly annunciate words, despite his canine appearance. Occasionally, his nine-foot long tail would thrash up, wiping her as he paced his circle - evidently intrigued and uncertain, contemplating the mystery of what manner of creature she was. He he never seen a human before? It begged the question of just where she had found herself.

    "Tell me Furless, what do they call you?"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    - Spite: 1
    - Stella cannot act in the physical world until her encounter ends. She will remain in a trace-like stupor until she returns.




    Spoiler: Curent Time
    Show

    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 4:54 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove




    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 04:00 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Feliks took a gander at the device as they loaded the unconscious gale onto it. He may not be the strongest in the group, but his knowledge of using force and levers allowed him to rather easily carry much more weight than he should be able to. However this device would allow him to easily drag so much more behind the party when he had it unfolded, or help keep a party member alive as they were doing now.

    The warm greeting made him frown, as he glanced to his other companions. He wasn't much for talking himself, but if they needed, there were very few wooden doors that could withstand a well placed explosive device. "If he leaves us out here and the beasts come, I'll make sure they get into his cottage too." he mutters under his breath.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Arina shook her head as the guardian departed. Come back after dark? Back into veilbeast-infested lands after nightfall? Of course. She wasn't sure what the Waldfrau was talking about, with the Third and whatnot, but the bit about the veilbeasts stemming from soul-waste was...intriguing. Memories, impressions... that didn't sound all too different from the kind of spirits she could influence. She wasn't sure whether that was a good or bad thing yet. Presumably they'd find out when--if--they returned.

    Her spirits lifted a bit when they reached the cottage and Denil greeted the old man. At least they'd have a safe place to sort out what was going on with Ecta, or so she thought until the man slammed the door in Denil's face. Of course it couldn't be that easy, she thought, shaking her head. She approached the door and knocked, biting back the bitter response that immediately sprung to mind, deciding it'd be prudent to at least try to be polite before breaking the door down. "Sir?" she called through the door. "We're only asking to stay a little while. Something seems to be wrong with one of our companions. If you can help us, we'll be on the way and out of your hair."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy roll! Not Arina's best skill, but she isn't bad at it either.

    (1d20+7)[22]
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    As she walked through the forest following the path as it was made in front of her, she was in awe at the sheer power that Waldfrau seemed to be able to wield. The woman was moving the trees throughout the forest creating them a path to the home of the man that Denil knew. As she watched she began to see the hands that were moving throughout the forest, as she wonder what they were she listened to Waldfrau speak in regards to them. Waldfrau seemed to understand what she was and possibly knew where she came from, the memory that surfaced reminded her that she was unlike those of this world. Her magic was not the same as those here, it was different... she just could not remember much about it, its power just beyond her grasp. As the memory faded she saw the lines that the hands seemed to manipulate, she was entranced by them for a short moment till Waldfrau spoke and pulled her attention away from them. "Seems this woman knows a lot that I do not, I wonder if she could help me reclaim my power... or lead me to someone who could." As they continued forward she kept watching the hands and paid attention to the different patters that they created.

    As Waldfrau spoke on the nature of the Veilbeasts she wondered if once she got her power back if she could manipulate and control the beasts herself. She thought back to what Waldfrau had said, about needing to regain her power if she wished to be able to the face the creatures of this world. She would definitely need to look into these powers more, she knew they were useful she just needed to remember them. As Waldfrau left she turned towards the woman and bowed deeply towards her. The whispers that followed drew her mind away for the moment, "Whispers, hmm interesting... I wonder what they are saying." She stood up straight just as the old man opened his door, she was a bit excited that they were here. The day had already been a bit crazy and she couldn't wait till the night came and she could go back into the woods to see Waldfrau and hopefully gain back some of her memories.

    The darkness came from nowhere, it surrounded her and drowned out the world around her. She was startled at the suddenness of it but was not afraid, the darkness was where she resided and within it she felt comfort. A deep voice had spoken and with it her vision returned, she was no longer with the other but was in room that seemed to have been the location of a slaughter. The dried blood that was splattered about would have disturbed most but she stayed calm, it was not her first time seeing the aftermath left by death nor would it be her last. As she looked around her eyes met with that of a massive wolf, the intelligence in her eyes worried her. "This is not a normal wolf, I wonder where I am and what manner of being this one is." Her hair flowed behind her with every word the creature spoke, the smell of death washing over her as she followed its movements. The long tail of the creature knocked her around as she was still but a child and its weight easily was more than her, keeping herself upright was a challenge as the beast seemed to ponder just what she was. Bowing deeply while keeping her eyes on the beast she decided that a little grace would be needed to deal with this creature. "Greetings great one, I am Stella Astral Last Apprentice to the Whispering Witch Adessa Allessa, I am human and am humbled to be in your presence. May I ask your name and manner of being you are? It is not often that I meet a creature as wise and powerful such as yourself. I would also like to know exactly where I have found myself as I am very unsure of what brought me here." Rising up from her bow she puts on a friendly face in the hopes that she can befriend a creature of this size and apparent power.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Some Rolls that I don't know if they will affect what is happening or not.

    Know Abstracts: (1d20+21)[41] or (1d20+21)[41]
    Know Primal: (1d20+21)[33]
    Know Planes: (1d20+10)[25]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[9] Doubt this will affect it but eh why not

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)


    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 4:55 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove



    Main Quest: The Secret of Beasts
    Disoriented and bewildered, the party finds themselves waking from a strange vision in a place they have never been. Waking on the ground of a forest after an unknown period of time has past, they are confronted by the Guardian of this forest. The dream-visions still linger fresh in each of their minds, haunting them with questions and no answers. If what was experienced could be through of as true, the death of the world loomed upon them, and when this tortured vessel - this Colossus, who carried the darkness fell, everything would end beneath its crushing weight. They had to do something before it was to late, they had to uncover the secret of the beasts.
    Difficulty: None| Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: Unknown
    Objective: You have found the Guardian, but she cannot remain during the day light hours. Answers to problems and perhaps even your muddled memories lay with her. Return during night and learn what you can.


    Denil scowled at the door, briefly looking at the alchemist as he produced a cleanly polished spherical device with a single buffed metal lever and unusual mechanical green lines of light tracing up its sides. "Ain't no door that can keep this halfling out. Of that you can be sure." Even with the strangeness of the world today, it wasn't often that one saw such exotic weapon as plasma grenades. The short man had a tool for every occasion, but he'd been an exceptional sapper before he'd retired and found a desk as an instructor at the Endrin military academy in Korvosa. Explosives and breaching structures much more solidly built than mud huts had been his profession for longer than he cared admit. It was that knowledge which had been how he'd met Avecna. An expert in engineering, ordinance and structural demolition was a good friend to have when you worked for the Cotton Club.

    Denil looked like he was ready to blow down the front of the old man's house before Arina interjected with a more diplomatic approach. So close to the door, the witch could hear voices on the other side of the barrier. A girl giggled, but she couldn't make out the words. It sounded like the voice of a child, no older than ten. From within she could hear distance muffled voices that seemed to become muddled together as they spoke over one another. Arina felt an uncharacteristic chill, the familiar touch of something out of place. An old discarded clay pot to her right fell over, breaking a plank and catapulting a heavy vase of flowers at her face just before the door violently opened and smashed the projectile in the air, scattering mud across the house's deck. The voices burst into hysteric laughter before suddenly going mute mid-laugh as if a radio had been unplugged in the middle of a program. Denil froze in place and took a cautious step back.

    Haunted Potential Advancement: Heart of Jealousy
    You are an object of amusement to those spirits who have plagued you so, but you will not idle quietly and suffer their misdeeds; but first you must find the courage to face them. Each kindness you have given unto the lost souls of others has delivered onto you only misfortune. To those who would haunt you, you are a thing to be possessed, and their bitterness and jealousy will not let them quietly accept the interventions nor attentions of other spirits. They despise the lesser souls of mortals almost as much as they hate their kin. You know now, that to finally face those who would claim to own you, you must force their hand...
    Difficulty: None| Status: On-going | Time: None
    Prerequisite: Received aid from 10 or more spirits at once (Cleared)
    Reward: Reaping Calm Potential or Vesper of Sight & Guidance Potential
    Objective: Receive a Mark of Blessing from 5 spirits, acquire the skill Knowledge (Abstract) and confront the haunting spirit
    Progress: (0/7)
    The interior was dimly lit by a series of carelessly placed candles, the old man sat in a seat some twenty feet from the door which appeared to have opened by itself. He rocked slowly in a massive chair of bone and wood padded with large pelts. Charms of every description lay accompanied by various painted marks and seals covering nearly every inch of the place's living space. The floor was cluttered with small carved animals and skillfully sewn dolls and stone rocks rounded to marbles. It looked as if a great deal of children lived within this modest home... but the old man was alone. He was speaking to someone... or something, "...This one? ...Very well then." From across the living room he nodded, "You may enter girl, I'll hear you. The rest of them can wait outside... Tell me what happened." A cold draft seemed to drift out from the house, even without entering she could see her breath from the chill of the cold. The dance of the fires cast strange shadows, and at times she thought she could see the silhouettes of so many souls scattered about the interior of that room. Faceless shadows quietly staring back at her, mouthing her name in hushed anticipation.

    Spoiler: Optional Check
    Show

    DC10 Perception: Notice Stella is unmoving in the rear of the party, staring off unblinking as if in a trance.



    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ




    Elsewhere


    12th of May, Monday - Time: 9:02 am (Morning) / AD 1952 (Spring)
    Tangi'thac; The Respite
    Wilting Parlor; The Streets of Quarry (Reclaimed)


    Stella had never seen such a large creature move so quickly. At the mention of the Whispering Witch the great beast lunged backwards in alarm, striking a dramatic pose with one raised paw. In what seemed like an elaborate ritual, the beast bowed its head in return. "A Witch, of course, I should have known. For you are spited, yet unbranded. Forgive my foolish behavior, C'nros'dalhar." The last word seemed to be a title of sorts which she held. It became painfully evident, the distance in social structure between the two as the massive beast suddenly prostrated himself in such a fashion. "Though you know me, you ask of mine own name. I thank you for this kindness." It was slow at first, the realization that she knew this great beast. She knew his name. She knew why he was here, and she knew where here was. As if her mind had pierced a mystical Veil, almost as if this world could hide nothing from her sight. It came with the sudden understanding that in a way, she owned this creature, for she held his Truename and Weave - the last thought sent pangs of pain through her mind. The thin line of energy, like a spiderweb which stretched off from the top of the wolf's head into the infinite beyond - it too had a name... It was an undue kindness to allow such a creature to present itself and its own name, but a sign of deep respect. "I as my brothers and sisters am Dalhar D'Inlé, as it was written. My name is Afsppa'sol, Who Deceived the Father. This day, just as the first day, we honor the Cycle and the Hunt, C'nros'dalhar." The familiar seemed to strike something buried deeply within, a sense of nostalgia. Those memories were so far away now, but long ago Adessa had called her apprentices by such a name.

    The beast glanced about, evidently somewhat curious, "Forgive my asking, but it wasn't your intention to return here was it? Coming to these years past holds no meaning any longer, the Weave has grown stale, as it is for myself as well. I simply came to tend to my brother, but he has now returned. These places are ideal to practice, without harming the present." The great beast smirked, as he rose to his full height once again. "Perhaps this may serve you well, for your magic has greatly diminished. Practice will restore you in time."


    Returner Potential Advancement: Focused Mind
    With each new exposure to the entities beyond which you were once bound, you reclaim a small measure of yourself. Now your memories begin to return and your magic slowly awakens. Learning to harness your forgotten powers and learning to command the strange planner ties known as the Weave is the beginning to truly reclaiming your past-life might.
    Difficulty: None| Status: On-going | Time: None
    Prerequisite: Roll two natural 20s on a single check with Focused Mind (Cleared)
    Reward: Awoken Mind Potential or Spellweaver Potential or Veilweaver Potential
    Objective: Learn the names of two Relicuum spirits and acquire the skill Knowledge (Spellweave)
    Progress: (1/3)
    - Afsppa'sol, Who Deceived the Father

    Spoiler: Stella Actions
    Show

    - Spite: 1
    - Stella cannot act in the physical world until her encounter ends. She will remain in a trace-like stupor until she returns.




    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 04:01 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Arina was taken aback by the man's change in demeanour and his... unusual decor. Unconsciously wrapping her cloak a bit tighter around herself, she glanced to the others, nodding once, before entering and letting the door swing shut behind her. She picked her way closer, taking in everything, listening to the redoubled whispers in her mind. A thousand questions raced through her head, one most notable: Are there others like me? It was a question she'd considered and dismissed long ago. Had she accidentally stumbled upon another afflicted by this blessing? This curse?

    After a long silence, drawn longer in her own mind, Arina spoke. "We were on a job," she stated, standing off to the side of the old man's seat. No need to give too many details about the Club's business, it wasn't really relevant to what this stranger needed to know. "We all seemed to receive a vision of sorts--all of us Gales, I don't think Denil saw it--and woke up several days later out here. Couldn't remember the last few days before that ourselves. Ecta--the halfling--didn't wake up when the rest of us did. She still hasn't woken up. Denil said you could help." She paused once more before deciding not to mention the strange being they'd encountered when they awoke. Again, it had no bearing on Ecta's condition, as far as she could tell.

    The silence lingered for another moment, and Arina reached out a hand to one of the more well-formed apparitions floating around the room, and a chill ran up her arm. "The spirits," she asked quietly. "You see them too?"
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-04-14 at 11:16 PM.
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)


    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 5:16 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    The old man rocked in his chair as he stuffed strange herbs, which was certainly not tobacco, within an oddly shaped pipe. He nodded as the woman finished her abridged recounting. "...The halfling then? Don't fret over that one, she'll be fine. Unfortunately, she cannot wake til she wakes herself. You can leave her with me." He lifted a finger to the edge of his pipe and the contents sparked to life, the use of a cantrip wasn't odd of course, but the spell itself was. There was no somatic or verbal component, and the light of the fire's glow burned with a deep purple and black. [Knowledge (Abstract) - DC10: Failed]

    She knew no name for a flame which acted in such as way. The herbs did not produce smoke nor burn, but rather seemed to glow, enveloped by the light. The leaves appeared to harden and grow transparent, as if slowly calcifying and becoming crystal. "I'd be more concerned for your friend, the witch. Playing with forces beyond her control while you're not looking is in poor taste." He brought the pipe to eye level, the wood had turned as clear as glass, he inspected the contents before turning the device around and taking a deep draw. He breathed out a puff of glittering light, like a nebulous cloud of infinitesimal stars. "Denil didn't bring you here for the shorty, I might not like the fool, but he's not completely daft. He saw something... and it scared him. That's why you're here." His gaze seemed to drift to the shadowy figure at Arina's side, he ignored the question she posed, but his dead steely gaze spoke volumes. "They spoke on your behalf. I've tended to these children for many years, but never have they shown a semblance of what you might call empathy. Not all who dwell between were once living, some even fear it. The weight of mortality." He scratched his bearded chin in contemplation, "I've tended to the young ones, as I have an accord with the Guardian of E'Auldordun. The master of the Guardians, a powerful creature named Wenyri. He comes every few years to ferry these children to their home within his world." He paused, shifting his gaze back at the woman, "I'm telling you this, because you need to understand. Understand they are neither ghosts nor of the spirits you can name. They have no attachment to you, yet they spoke for you. Now they can never return to their home."

    He took another puff from the unusual pipe, "You're haunted, but not in a conventional sense. Every creature who remains bound to the natural order of their world, is tied to it, literally. An essence of a sort, an energy links us all together; you, me... them. Before the Long Night, that was just a common belief among many spiritual sorts. Since the world changed, those beliefs had been revealed to some. We are each tied to that something, that balance, a grand web of energy called the Weave. In our own world, our own universe, there was once entities - elemental forces of a primordial existence, which tended to this Weave. Likely, long before this world existed, that web weakened and atrophied. These entities which tended to it fell dormant. Now some have awoken, but abandoned their duty, losing their sense of purpose and self. They have instead grasped at our individual threads, binding themselves to the creatures to which these threads are attached for their own means. Such crestfallen existences are called Relicuum spirits... and now one such entity has bound itself to you." The man slowly rose from his chair moving off to the side. He took careful steps, avoiding all of the strange fetishes and trinkets which lay scattered about. He approached a large cupboard, placing his pipe on top of the thing. Pulling a one small door open, he removed a small wooden box. The little thing seemed unassuming enough, though the wood which it was made was burned black. He carefully opened it revealing a securely placed bead the size of a marble. "The state which you've found yourself in... is a curse, don't doubt that. But that doesn't mean that's all it has to be. This vision you spoke of... and these foolish children's action. It is an auspicious sign. Some are born into a position conductive to their purpose, and some are born with a natural affinity which threatens to tip the balance... I think you might be the later, and I think they believe it too."

    He presented the box to Arina, displaying the small sphere still seated within. It looked like a fine polished marble-stone, simple and humble in design. "Wenyri spoke of it many times, that where was once a soul destined to bring balance between the realms of mortals and the Otherworlds. Perhaps it is you... or perhaps not, but the stone will find its own way. Take it. While you bear it you may receive the blessings of spirits and mortal souls alike, and to overcome your oppressor, you will need many. Aid every spirit you can, and prepare yourself to face this Relicuum while the time bought with these children's sacrifice remains..." The man placed the box down on a table before turning back around to reclaim his pipe and shuffle gingerly back over to his seat. "Wenyri should be along shortly to aid your friends..." He leaned back, closing his eyes wearily, "...I would not return to this place, but if you someday happen upon my grove, I will teach you what I can."


    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 04:02 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Aden's eyes narrowed as the door swung shut. This was not how this should have been handled. They should have all gone in. Maybe minus Denil. They should not have allowed this shaman, or whatever he was, to separate two of their members, one of which was unconscious. Arina was no slouch in a fight, but they had no information about this man. Yet she just waltzes right in without a word?

    "Feliks, maybe grab some of your alchemical goodies. Just in case we need to go in."

    The thief shook his head, and turned to Denil, rolling his eyes. "Some friend you got there, mate. Care to share how you know mister tall, dark, and spooky? And, more importantly, those two going to be safe in there?"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    The sudden movement of the beast startled her, never had she seen something move that quickly moreover she was taken aback at the sudden bow that the beast gave her. Apparently being the apprentice of Adessa was a bigger boon than she had memory of, the fact that this beast knew her and paid her such respect was a painful reminder that her mind was still fragmented. As the beast spoke she began to remember, the flood of information made her mind swim as she began to understand where she was and why she was here. The knowledge of this beast caused her pain, She knew his Trueman and weave... but with it she also knew pain as the thought went through her mind. She continued to listen to the beast as it named itself along with what manner of being it was. A familiar feeling followed as it spoke, her memories reminding her of what Adessa used to call the apprentices that followed her teachings.

    "As you stated, I did not mean to come here. My mind has been fragmented since I found myself in this knew world, most of my powers locked away from me. It has been an annoyance that I wish to fix by any means." Rubbing at her temples as memories once again bring pain with them, "If this is a perfect place to practice, and practice will help restore me to what I once was then I will Require you assistance in this matter. It seems like you may have an idea on how to help me with this matter, If you assist me in regaining my former powers then I will would be grateful and will remember such assistance once I have been restored."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Know Abstracts: (1d20+21)[30] or (1d20+21)[39] - This is for trying to figure out more about Weaves if possible.

    Know Abstracts: (1d20+21)[22] or (1d20+21)[31] - This will be for knowledge on what "Dalhar D'Inlé" are.


  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    Elsewhere


    12th of May, Monday - Time: 9:08 am (Morning) / AD 1952 (Spring)
    Tangi'thac; The Respite
    Wilting Parlor; The Streets of Quarry (Reclaimed)


    The great beast grinned from ear-to-ear revealing his dreadfully polished teeth, "Yes... Of course, but take to heart that all things possess both reward and consequence. You may call upon me, but your world shall spite you for it. The Weave shall not shift its threads for you unconditionally any longer... a price must be paid. You may pay it those wretches who have forgotten their fathers, or you may pay it... to me." The last words carried a pointed tone. "Long have I refined my mastery of the Weave, honed it til I could make my changes go unnoticed by even mine own father. I could teach you... but you must understand your own place, C'nros'dalhar. You are a Witch, not a Weaver, and commanding a craft oversteps your bounds. Adessa knew this, but was sworn to The Black - not the Cycle, the Hunt, and the Balance. Like her, you will find no love from those who dwell within the Respite... you will be exiled. As you are, you carry not the sins of your master." The beast turned away towards the great gaping hole in the wall, "I will not ask you decide now, for my father will not accept you choice until you understand the decision. You must know what it is you cast aside first, and only then can it be relinquished."

    The beast's head poked out of the stone building, looking on at the massive crumbling towers which distantly shown from afar. Skyscrapers of winding stone and steel, "This city, Quarry. It has always been my home. I remember when it was beautiful. These streets, these halls. They were the first things I saw when I was written." A red cloud of dust swept the city, as if fine sandstone washed over the place covering it with a thick orange haze. Even that however didn't disguise the destruction which had ravaged the place. Unrecognizable mounds of mutilated piles of flesh lay scattered about, the tanned skin of screaming faces lay plastered outside of some entrances, like mantles. The leather hides of the creatures they once belonged were covered with thick coats of fur, likely belonging to the bestial creatures who once dwelt here. "The Elil and Lapus have waged holy war upon one another for these streets for longer than most can remember... but it was ours first. In this memory of the past, we took it back... but eventually it would slip through our grasp once again. Now a Hunt must begin, as once before..." The great wolf swung its head around to eye Stella directly, "Do you understand? ...My price will not be small."

    Afsppa'sol stepped out of the building, the crunch of stone underfoot sounded from his unreasonable weight, "If you come to a decision, then do not be led astray. Sixteen Speakers still stand between our worlds. Not all will wish for you to remember this, for only those of Isto'thac still honor the Mother of the Black Veil and Adessa's children. If you would follow her still, then find the Sixteenth and unbind the Dark Teller... That is my price." The otherworldly wolf vanished from sight, a lingering word left on the wind, "..Til we meet again."


    Returner Potential Advancement: Mother of the Black Veil
    Once a Veilwitch in another life, Stella had been sworn to She of the Black Veil. From her, the goddess which dwelt beyond the folds of creation, she drew her magic. Now she has forgotten even the meaning of her own past scarifies and the face of her ascendant mother. Bending and controlling the Weave had once been a pivotal ability and represented her own oath as a child of Adessa. Veilwitches were not mediators, nor seekers of balance. They were agents of planner creation and destruction, loyal to a will beyond comprehension to those who were uninitiated. Now she needed to rediscover that ultimate truth and learn who she truly was.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-going | Time: None
    Reward: Potential Advancement I
    Influence: Magic, Spirits, Memory, Curse, Knowledge, Secrets
    Objective: Learn the consequences of a Veilwitch's exile. Meet the 16th Speaker. (Optional: Release the Dark Teller)
    Progress: (0/2)



    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ




    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 5:17 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove



    Stella's body suddenly jerked as her mind came hammering back into the physical world. It was a strange awareness, like something beneath the surface was beginning to reawaken. She didn't understand fully what the Weave was, but she could fathom its purpose. It was a grand construct of life and creation and all things within those realms they knew as existence were tied to to it. It held what was creation together, defined it. It was the flow of energy, but she also knew that this was merely the surface of magic. Adessa had found something far more powerful, something deep and feral which stood even beyond this creative essence. So far had she fallen away from the light of those grand revelations, she could no longer even fathom just what could have dwelt beyond such a cosmic force and dwarf it so utterly. [Knowledge (Abstract) - Success]

    The names which the great wolf spoke of rung with a resounding familiarity. The Otherworld which she had seen, was not decayed like this universe which she not resided. The great spirits which tended the Weave here had fallen away and lost their purpose, thus they had become Relicuum. Yet, for those of the Otherworld, they remained true to their design, they were not Relicuum - for they had not fallen. Each Relicuum once belonged to a domain which defined them, to those which came from Tangi & Isto'thac, they existed as great and terrible gods between the races of the Lapus and Elil. Each race created in their image, and born of their same desire and purpose. The Dalhar D'Inlé, represented the greatest gifts upon the Elil. Representing death and the might of the hunters who stood at the apex of their world. They were the children of death and balance, sons and daughters of the black god Inlé. Their haunt was endless, perpetuating the endless cycle of death and rebirth. Neither good, nor evil, they served only the endless Cycle which in turn purged stagnation and decay from their world. A far cry from this rotting universe thrown into disarray... [Knowledge (Abstract) - Success]

    Ͽ ◯ Ͼ

    Denil frowned at the scarred man, "...It's a long story, forty-years long. I''ll give you the abridged version, but the girls will be safer than we are. You can take some comfort in that." He pulled out a waterskin from the side of his massive pack, pulling off the cork and taking a long draft from the heavy leather sack. "Mave was a retainer of Lord Nevens, well, he still is - which is how we met. Before he himself earned his lordship, he served House Nevens as an advisor and court-magician during the chaos in Magnimar, before and after the Long Night. It was his research and willingness to act that allowed most of these cities to keep standing... but that's a story for another time. When I met the man, he'd already been appointed a seat within the House of Lords. I had been appointed to help him find a place called Ulbeph... That place don't exist no more. I guess the man had always had an affinity with the spirits, he is an Erutaki after all, but when we left... He was changed. He had Potentials, of the like you wouldn't believe. He could see things... Hell, he could hear things, and he could let you hear 'em too." He corked the waterskin and tied it back on his bag, "He chose a life of exile, said he was looking for something. He returns every now and then, which is never a good sign. Like some kinda bringer of ill omens. I dunno if he ever found what he was looking for, but by all accounts the geezer should be dead... He was forty years older than I am now, forty years ago. If there's a man with some damned answers to be found, it's him."

    Spoiler: Rewards
    Show

    XP Rewards are now able to be earned:

    ֍ Arina XP +250
    ֍ Stella XP +350
    ֍ Aden XP +200
    ֍ Feliks XP +100


    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 04:02 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Feliks looked towards the cabin and back at Denil "First you left out why he doesn't like you. And you knew he was still alive otherwise you wouldn't have brought us here." he tilted his head, turning around to stare out at the darkness. The third thing, which Feliks didn't respond to verbally was that they were not safe. A creeping dread began to take him, though it may be just his paranoia starting to spring up. He hoped that was what it was. His hand twitched, pulling out an alchemist flask.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Paranoia roll of Perception (1d20+10)[13]


    Last edited by Triskavanski; 2018-04-16 at 12:06 AM.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)


    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 5:17 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    The grizzled halfling sneered at the remark offhandedly while briefly checking a time piece from his pocket. "Like I said kid... The abridged version. We've had our disagreements, I'll leave it at that." He stuffed the watch back into his heavy pocket. Feliks noticed Stella's awkward jerking first, as if she were having a fit. The strange spectacle drew a raised brow from Denil but nothing more, after all she was the 'odd-one' or so claimed the short man. He glanced at Feliks for a brief moment then back at the door with an unsettling sense of determination, "...You notice it?" He didn't at first, his eyes saw nothing out through the gloom of the forested space beyond, but the sudden realization quickly followed. That strange feeling in the back of his mind... was real. They hadn't passed any roads, nor seen anything resembling a path which might have allowed them to get back to the highway while they had been pushing through the cursed landscape. It would have been justifiably impossible to have reached it within the constrained time the Waldfrau mentioned. It almost seemed as if they had come to this place for a completely different reason than what Denil had purposed. "Sometimes you gotta take a gamble when you're against the wall, kid. Don't fret what's waiting out there, it won't make a damn bit'a difference... We've still got three minutes..." He clenched a fist and released it tensely, speaking under his breath. "...And I'm a damn fine gambler."

    Spoiler: Reward
    Show

    ֍ Feliks XP +100


    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 04:15 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    She stood there listening to Afsppa’sol speak, the words he spoke resounding within her giving her knowledge of what she once was. She still did not remember it all but now she at least knew a bit more. If Afsppa’sol was right then she would have to pay some price to get her power back, what that price was and who she paid it to is something she would have to find out herself. Afsppa’sol was right though, she was a witch not a weaver… how this would end up getting her exiled and exactly what being exiled meant was another thing to research. Looking out over the city with Afsppa’sol she is in awe of the sheer size of the buildings, not only the size though, the sheer destruction that seemed apparent throughout it. The piles of tanned flesh unnerved her a bit, the faces of endless screaming not something she wanted to see at this time. Turning her focus back onto Afsppa’sol.

    The Hunt was mentioned again by Afsppa’sol, she had been hearing being talked about if for a while now and was still curious as to what exactly The Hunt entailed. Afsppa’sol said his price would not be small, and from the sound of it that was true. She had to find the Sixteenth Speaker and unbind the Dark Teller. Both of these being were unknown to her and would take time to find out who and where they were. Was it a price she was willing to pay, to possibly carry the same sins as her master… She would think on this more and determine if it was truly worth it or if maybe there was another way to gain her powers.




    Her body convulsed as her mind was thrust back into it, she collapsed to her knees as the muscles in her legs gave out from the stress caused by the spasms. The Knowledge she gained while in the other world was still with her, she understood now what the weave was she also knew that Adessa had found something more powerful. That was power that she wanted for herself, and if she had to pay Afsppa’sol’s price to get it then pay it she would. She sat there listening to the conversation that Denil and Feliks were having, this man that Denil had brought them to apparently was an Oddity. One that could be of use though if they could convince him to provide some assistance or sanctuary. Standing up she moved towards the door, random spasms still hit her muscles every so often as she found her way to it. Looking back towards Denil “I am in agreement with Feliks here… you should have told us he did not like you, could have saved us some time or perhaps we could have thought of a better way to introduce ourselves besides you being the one at the front. If this man can give us answers then it better to be gracious to him than to be an annoyance.” A frown sat on her face as she was currently very annoyed with both the spasms and that they were running out of time. Turning back to the door she reaches her hand up and knocks lightly on it, “Excuse me Sir, it is almost daybreak here and we would really love to have a safe place to wait it out. Waldfrau brought us here because Denil said you could help us out, I know you and him have had your differences but I would really appreciate it if you would assist the rest of us at least. Especially me in that regard, Denil said you know things… that you see things, I have been seeing things as well and would love it if you could help me figure more of this out.” Taking a step back from the door in case it suddenly flung open she began to look around at the surroundings while listening for anything out of the ordinary.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Perception: (1d20+10)[18]

    Diplo (Rolled OOC) 15

    Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-04-16 at 01:00 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)


    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 5:17 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    "Well, for the record... I use the term friend loosely. People tend not to think of me kindly." Denil spoke the last word with a shrug, as if he were bewildered as to why that could be so. That wasn't untrue though, the halfling's reputation for generally being unliked was no secret. It may not have even been an exaggeration to say the man had no friends. Knowing that, it did seem somewhat odd how no one bothered to question the unusual proposition at the time. The whole encounter was evidently not as simple as the gruff man boiled it down to be.

    Watching the child-witch move towards the door his face grew more and more unsettled, but not speaking out in protest til after she'd said her piece. "Girl, aren't you supposed to be a spell-slinger of some flavor? You can't just go around speaking the names of these creatures outside protected places. They aren't cats-and-dogs, or some shambling earth elemental, their very existence causes chaos. You don't know what your carelessness can dredge up from some Offworlder's arse hole." It was a quiet almost inquisitive vocal gesture, "Hmmm..." The door which Stella stood before slowly opened, revealing on a pitch lightless space beyond the threshold. A towering figure stood motionless within, a man of an unnatural stature which dwarfed that of the old shaman they had seen.

    The figure slithered forward, out from the darkness as if he moved upon some frictionless surface. The first rays of morning light illuminated his menacing face. Bleached white and fleshless, his visage was little more than an eyeless rotting skull. Black hair still limply hung from his skull and his attire was regal and crisp. A fine black suite which shown a gleam like satin, a well kept top-hat of exceptional craftsmanship sat carefully placed upon his brow. The halfling stood mouth agape, dumbfounded at the unliving creature before him. "Fawking hell, what in the gods name is that?" The skeletal man, who stood easily eight-feet tall with room to spare quickly raised a pointed finger to the air as if to interject, "No, no. Not what my good man, but -who." His voice sounded with a clarity and accent they had never heard before, for there were no native folk who hailed from the British isles. The looming skeletal man arced his back to bend himself at eye level with the witch, "Pray tell young lady... What did the Waldfrau speak of? If it is knowledge you seek, or perhaps sanctuary from coming storm - look no further. For I am both humble servant, and purveyor of means..." The last word seemed to come out like the hiss of a cunning salesman.

    Denil quickly pulled himself together, "We don't know this... thing, kid. Don't believe a word it has to say. My plan will pull through, just believe in me."

    Spoiler: Reward
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +50


    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 04:15 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    She looked back at denil with a frown on her face, "It is truly a wonder why anyone would not think kindly of you." sarcasm dripping from her voice as she spoke to the man. Her eyes rolled as Denil chastised her for speaking Waldfrau's name, turning towards the man again a look of disgust was on her face. "Yes i am a caster of sorts, and yes normally its best not to speak names but i felt it was needed. As for their existence its possible that i might be a bit more knowledgeable on that than you are." The personal of the cheerful happy girl was gone for the moment her mind elsewhere, the worry of not finding succor to ride out the day worried her on top of the knowledge that she had recently gained. "Damn Denil and damn his annoying plan, if he wasn't completely sure that we would find safety here then he should have stated such and we could have went elsewhere and tried to find safety." She turned back to the door as it opened and was a bit surprised at the figure that revealed itself. "That is not the old man that i was trying to speak to, is this maybe what we were supposed to worry about? This day just keeps getting worse and worse." She took a step back as the figure made his way out from the door, looking the man up and down she tried to determine what he was and how best to deal with him should she need to. First though she would try and be a bit diplomatic with the being infront of her.

    The man offered knowledge and sanctuary but at what cost, she would not know till she spoke with him. Denil's was right in one thing though, she did not know this being and would not trust him one bit. "She spoke of several things but those things will only be spoken about with friends. I do not know you nor do I know what exactly you are, you say that you offer knowledge and sanctuary but do not mention the cost of such services nor have you provided your name to us. This leads me to believe that you may not be trustworthy enough to be called a friend." Her eyes remained on the figure as she silently unslung her bow from her back, the gleam of stars reflect off the wood of the bow as a slight glow surrounds her "Those that are not friends could very well be enemies in this world, I would ask that you name yourself or leave us so that we may speak to the one that we came seeking." She hoped that the others got the same sense of unease that she did from this being, she prepared her self to quickly retreat away with a teleport should this being become aggressive or chooses to attack her.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Drawing bow just to be safe. Gaining a fly speed of 5ft while holding my bow.
    Prep Action to use Side Step to teleport 30ft away from this being should he become aggressive or attacks me. preferably 10ft up into the air and how ever much backwards that would allow me, think its still 20ft back but doing diagonal in the air with teleport is wonky if i remember.

    Know Abstract on him: (1d20+21)[24] or (1d20+21)[39]

    Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-04-16 at 08:02 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)

    Arina listened to the man closely, though she did not fully understand what he was saying. The Guardians, Wenyri... none of it was familiar, though she supposed this creature would be another like the Waldfrau they encountered earlier. Relicuum, though, that was a term she'd heard before--she had suspected some sort of powerful entity might have tied itself to her, more powerful than the trifling energies she dealt with normally, but she had never expected something of that scale. It would take some time to process fully. For the moment, she kept herself composed, trying not to show just how out of her depth she was. She gingerly took the stone from the box, turning it over in her fingers. Such a plain thing--weren't the great artifacts in all the old stories intricate things of gold and precious stones? Those had been the stories Ernard had liked, at least.

    "Thank you," she said finally, turning back to the old shaman. "For keeping Ecta here and... and for telling me all this." She paused, searching the old man's face, wondering how much more to tell him. Denil had brought them here, presumably he wouldn't have done so if he didn't trust the man, despite the bad blood between them. "As for what we saw... it was a being of some sort, calling herself the Guardian of the Sacred Grove. She told us she would keep us safe until we left her domain. I suppose she is some relation to this... Wenyri you mentioned?"
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)


    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 5:17 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    If a fleshless skull could grin, then perhaps that may have been the look Stella would have described as plastered across the eerie figure's face. The skeletal man tipped his hat and bowed with a flourish, "Ah, my apologizes. I had simply assumed one... such as yourself, knew my name and thread. After all, it isn't hidden, nor masked. It's practically plastered across my face..." He gave a rasping laugh at his own joke, but it wasn't funny. "Allow me to introduce myself then. Loyal servant to the Mother of the First. Keeper & Kindler of the Tresk'ri-Chath. My name is- "






    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 5:21 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    The looming corpse tilted his head, "Too much for your tongue then? Pitty." Something was different, something felt wrong and distorted, as if the world had been caught in a skip or bump she couldn't describe. Static. The gleaming golden threads of the Weave which she could see around her remained in place, but a blank space - an absence, where the thread simply stopped and then resumed as if it were unbroken shown on every strand she could see. "Well, if you cannon't speak my name - how about a nickname? Those are always fun, no? Hmm, how about... Skullface. Yes, I like that."


    Main Quest (Calamity): A World Led To Ruin I - The Battle of Ulbeph
    There were some forces which had once existed to purge the stagnant threads of the Weave, and cleanse the decay of a rotting universe, making new ground for the endless cycles of rebirth. Long has it been since those entities fell into a deathlike slumber, forgetting their own purpose. Now a rift has formed, a displacement and corruption of the the destined fates woven within the Weave - a Calamity. Forces of misfortune which never were have been born, binding themselves to the addled and misfeatured destinies of mortal souls. The world was being changed, rewritten - for the worse. A phenomenon called Divergence.
    Difficulty: Lethal | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 90 days
    Objective: Defeat Old King Aphlati of The Deep
    Success: Calamity conquered. Divergence reset to original time.
    Failure: Calamity becomes reality. Divergence becomes permanent. Main Quest Replaced.


    The skeletal figure cackled, seemingly at nothing. "There now... are we not, friends? As a token of good will, I will even lend you my aid - without cost... but just this once." Stella couldn't help but remember Afsppa'sol's words when the man spoke. There was always a price. The only difference was who it was paid to.

    Denil blinked, completely bewildered. He felt it. They all did. That sudden wave of darkness, like a screen of black descended upon the world and suddenly parted. To the halfling it was an alien and haunting experience that made him shudder to his bones, but it wasn't foreign to them. They knew that feeling, that complete and boundless void. For they had seen it once before, for what had seemed like an eternity. That desolate realm. That inescapable silence. The Primeval Dark.

    It had only been a few brief moments they had spoken amongst one another, but now something felt wrong and polluted. A something they couldn't name, like they had forgotten a thing they knew they had to remember. It pervaded the air they breathed, the ground they stood upon and even the rapidly descending chill. From above, the sharp snap and crackle of the limbs of the tree's could be heard, it was an alarming and raucous sound which could not be ignored. It didn't take long to realize it - the mist was gone, the warmth had departed. Now a heavy dark miasma slowly descended from above. The darkwood elms canopy's froze and splintered beneath the supernatural cold. Leaves fell to the ground, stabbing into the earth, coated in ice and made ridged as stone. The short man's eyes darted about in evident confusion, "...Impossible." He was right, the death-frosts which plagued the lands further north didn't make their way down into the Hinterlands. It was a curse upon those lands which had made travel before the noonday hours impossible, least you freeze to death. It shouldn't have been possible for it to drift this far south. He desperately fumbled through his pockets and pulled out his watch once again, before hopelessly looking on at Stella. "You stupid brat.... What have you done."

    Distantly, deep into the gloomy folds of the forest's shade, a sound could be heard - voices. Each moment they grew clearer, louder, rising in volume. Moans of pain and suffering, the dreadful sound of a hundred mourning voices. The cry of women weeping.


    Side Quest: Flight of the Bobolyne
    The deathly frost of the Uttercold descends from above, and hell awaits below. Abhorrent Veilbeasts fill the shades of the forest about them, and a dark figure smiles wickedly all the while. Has Denil's plan been foiled, was there any way out? Whatever they were going to do, they had to do it quickly.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 5 minutes
    Objective: Survive.
    Alternate Objective: Outlast the quest timer.


    Spoiler: OOC: Influencing the World
    Show

    Your actions will have real consequences. The realm of Du'ased'taur offers the unique opportunity to interface with strange entities from another world, but some are the very essence of chaos and change, while others are something else completely. Dealing with these entities can change the entire scope of the adventure, for better or worse, but learning to deal with the denizens which stand between the mundane and eldrich worlds requires the knowledge and know-how to navigate such encounters.

    Remember the first tenants of a Gale; knowledge is everything, and within the tainted lands - it is what defines the living and dead. Using the names of these creatures carelessly can bring catastrophic results to the world about you. (Rewind to the beginning, and take note of the voices who spoke very short abridged names for one another) Not every name is going to light the world on fire, but learning who or what can cause harmful side-effects will play a vital role in dealing with such creatures.

    The phenomenon called 'Divergence' is a radical or drastic change in the world which will alter and/or replace the main quest line. These can always be reversed, or if they are beneficial, kept. While unintentional Divergence is usually negative, positive changes can be created as well. The changes made and how the world is effected is often a mystery unless throughly investigated prior to initiating the transition. If left as is, the change becomes permanent after a per-determined period of time, so plan carefully.

    Calamity is exactly as it sounds. A Relicuum has grasped or manufactured some pre-determined fate which bodes ill for humanity, the natural order of the world, or both. If allowed to be brought into existence, it will create a Divergence - however this cannot be reversed once completed. Calamity's always come in two-parts. You'll learn more about these later. Multiple main quest lines can be created by multiple Calamity's or Divergence, so tread carefully and keep the universe spinning.

    ...And no, you're not all dead. But you'll have to look for a solution to your tight spot. I recommend avoid spending all your free actions talking with the reality-destroying cosmic horrors while the party is trying to work together.


    Spoiler: Reward
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +100






    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 04:19 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)



    She didn't like the look the skull gave her, and she was right not to. The being had spoken its name but something was wrong, she didn't hear what it had said. Everything just seemed odd, glancing around quickly she notices that the golden threads throughout the place were now different, there was a black space to them that should not have been there. This was not right, this being changed something drastically just by saying its name... She had not thought it possible that something so simple could affect the world in such a way. Looking back at the being she wonders what game this being was playing, what did he gain from doing such a thing. It spoke again claiming that they were now friends, it claimed that it would lend them its aid without cost. Such a thing could not be true, everything had a cost, Afsppa'sol had said so himself that there was always a price to be paid. She hoped that this price was not to hefty of one as she had no way to stop whatever aid this being was forcing on them.

    She felt it like the rest, the sudden darkness befalling this world before parting. The odd feeling permeated the air around her sending a chill throughout her being. Looking around she notices that the mist had vanished, the warmth had left the world once again. She watched helplessly as the leaves fell from the trees to stab into the earth, it was here again the dreaded cold that consumed all. She looked back at Denil a look of worry on her face, "All I did was ask his name, you said not to trust him in the first place... I did not see the harm in such a simple thing considering the others had been stating their names out loud." Looking back to Skullface, "A name doesn't make us friends just acquaintances, Friends wouldn't bring this death upon one another. If you were to return everything to how it was then we could possibly be friends but as it stands we are not." She started to hear them, the moans in the forest as the creatures made there way towards them. She had to act fast lest she die to them or the cold, her mind raced trying to think what could help them. "Denil, I will have to turn to your knowledge now on this. I have never been caught outside during this time so I am unsure what actions would be best for now. I also would like to apologize for my actions and attitude, with all that has been happening I have been a bit overwhelmed and have lost myself to it. You tell me what to do to survive this and make it all right, I will follow your word to the letter on if it gets us through this." Fear was evident in her voice as she hurriedly spoke to Denil.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Both of these are to try and figure out how to survive what is coming...
    Know Primal: (1d20+21)[24]
    Know Abstract: (1d20+21)[36] or (1d20+21)[29]

    Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-04-16 at 10:04 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: The Primeval Dark (IC)


    24th of Abadius, Sunday - Time: 5:22 am (Morning) / AR 4707 (Winter)
    The Lost Coast Road; Sandpoint Hinterlands
    The Gap; Point 19: The Sacred Grove


    The old man nodded at Arina "Yes, Wenyri is head among the Guardians, he keeps them loyal and focused to their tasks. That primarily being maintaining the Balance and natural order between our worlds- "


    Main Quest (Calamity): A World Led To Ruin I - The Battle of Ulbeph
    There were some forces which had once existed to purge the stagnant threads of the Weave, and cleanse the decay of a rotting universe, making new ground for the endless cycles of rebirth. Long has it been since those entities fell into a deathlike slumber, forgetting their own purpose. Now a rift has formed, a displacement and corruption of the the destined fates woven within the Weave - a Calamity. Forces of misfortune which never were have been born, binding themselves to the addled and misfeatured destinies of mortal souls. The world was being changed, rewritten - for the worse. A phenomenon called Divergence.
    Difficulty: Lethal | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 90 days
    Objective: Defeat Old King Aphlati of The Deep
    Success: Calamity conquered. Divergence reset to original time.
    Failure: Calamity becomes reality. Divergence becomes permanent. Main Quest Replaced.


    The words were cut short, the sudden wave of darkness blotting out the world, then vanishing without a trace. The eerie sense of displacement lingered in its wake. The old man sprang upright, eyes wide with a fearful awareness, "No... Not again..." The old man shook his head in disbelief. "Some idiot is ruining everything." He sharply turned to Arina with a spiteful glare, "Don't you become like these fools, ever. The Guardians are different, but you must never carelessly speak the names of the entities which linger between our worlds. Those are the names which identify their purpose, their existence within the Weave. Even if they have forgotten, their names have not. If you've the gift, you threaten to corrupt them and twist them out of line. If you do not understand the forces you encounter, then let them be." From outside the thundering sound of shattering limbs could be heard distantly, an unsettling racket that invaded the calm and quiet of the magical hut's interior. "Ugh.." The old man staggered backwards clutching his ears in pain, as if something else were piercing his senses.

    He fumbled about, stepping and breaking the small fetishes and toys which littered the ground, using a freehand to steady himself and follow the wall. "Something is wrong, she's confused." He grasped an old staff from the wall, "If what you say is so, then the Waldfrau will not come to our aid. She must have expended her energy in guiding you, and now she rests. You must help me, we must delay the spirit of the Frozen Eternal until Wenyri comes. While confused she will not listen to reason, she seeks to destroy the source of this corruption..." He extended the large staff of bone at the woman, charms and strange seals of an otherworldly design lay burned upon every corner of its surface. It almost looked like the head of a great elk with small crystals hanging from it, but the horns curved upwards and towards one another closely. "Go on. Take it. Focus and attune to it's magic, calm your mind and command it. When you are ready speak its name..."

    Spoiler: The Staff: Elahkhuur, The Spirit Song
    Show

    Attuning: Succeed a DC20 Spellcraft or UMD check.
    This check receives a +4 bonus from Mave's aid.



    Side Quest: Flight of the Bobolyne
    The deathly frost of the Uttercold descends from above, and hell awaits below. Abhorrent Veilbeasts fill the shades of the forest about them, and a dark figure smiles wickedly all the while. Has Denil's plan been foiled, was there any way out? Whatever they were going to do, they had to do it quickly.
    Difficulty: Challenging | Status: On-going | Profit: Unknown | Time: 5 minutes
    Objective: Survive.
    Alternate Objective: Outlast the quest timer. 1/5


    Denil's face rested squarely in his large sweaty palm for a moment, trying to reel himself back in. She's fifteen. She's fifteen. He repeated the mantra once more for good measure. He'd put a bullet in the back of men's head for less in darker days, but he wasn't Captain Damn anymore. That man had died with the memories he made great efforts to forget. He took a deep breath. "Kid... I haven't the slightest how you've survived this long. I've come to Point 19 on more than one occasion - it's the only safe space within the Gap before the fifth bell. This kinda sheit doesn't happen, because these things don't just tell anyone their names. Hell, they'd barely even talk to ya on a good day. At least that's what I thought til I came with Weiss. They'll chat ya up if you're one of them, or one of her folk." He shook a finger berating the girl, "If you have no idea what the hell you're doing, then don't screw with it. It isn't Skullface's fault sheit's going sideways." The skeleton leaned down to add his two cents, "He's right you know, you don't blame the knife when you cut your finger. Actually, I had thought you'd had that under control since you asked..." He spoke the last bit under his breath, but it was still perfectly audible. The halfling pointed his already reproaching finger at the skull-man next, "...And you, shut up. I'm not taking your side, you've caused enough trouble." The haunting figure grinned his rotting toothless grin, "I think I like the short-man."

    Denil crossed his arms, "If you want to fix this, you'll listen here. Weiss didn't tell me the finer details of how all this nonsense works, but I know enough. Whatever kinda spirit-thing Skull is, he can't make a damn bit'a difference without someone like you as an intermediary. If he's ain't taxing you, then you'll just have to accept whatever hate-energy crap that makes the world want to punch you in the face." "Spite." "Sure." "Who's Weiss?" "Shut up, bone face. You get it kid? As long as you don't get burned, or whatever they call it, you can still get rid of that hate-energy stuff on your own time. But right now, we need some spirit-monster help. That..." He pointed at the slowly descending black haze which was flash freezing everything it touched. "Leave that to Mave, I'm sure he's got a plan. We ain't going to all make it out in once piece if we try to make a run for it, better off waiting for a Guardian to fix this mess for us."


    Spoiler: Rewards
    Show

    ֍ Stella XP +100
    ֍ Arina XP +150


    Last edited by Mornings; 2018-07-08 at 04:20 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •