New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Surrender Now, or Prepare to Fight IC

Professor Elm follows her outside and nods with approval. He walks around Mica, examining him from all angles. He makes comments to himself, and Holly picks up bits of it, like 'tooth formation indicates healthy diet' and 'confident posture in the face of a stranger is a clear sign of a healthy bond between them'.

It is clear to Holly that this man has earned his title of Professor. He seems to know a lot about Pokemon behavior, biology, and breeding. After a few minutes, Elm turns to her with a smile. "Well, it's clear to me that you are more than qualified to receive a Pokemon license!"

2. - Top - End - #32

Holly claps her hands excitedly. "Really? You mean it?!"

3. - Top - End - #33

Professor Elm nods. "I'll just need to borrow your PokeGear, please."

Pokemon Gear, or PokeGear for short, is a small device that most people these days have. It allows Trainers to get in touch with one another from long distances, and can be used to display a Trainer License and has a few other useful applications that people need to pick up from third parties.

Digital engineering isn't exactly Patrick's specialty, but he took his own PokeGear apart and figured out how it worked so he could build Holly's himself. It's her prized possession, and a sign that her father really does care about her a lot.

4. - Top - End - #34

She hands over the device, though not without some hesitation.

5. - Top - End - #35

Professor Elm takes the PokeGear back into his lab with Holly and hooks it up to a computer, tapping away at the keyboard. He asks her a few questions about her date of birth and her address so that he can fill everything in, then he hands the device back to her. "And just like that, you're free to engage in Pokemon battles, capture wild Pokemon, and take the Pokemon League challenge!"

He smiles and nods. "Ah, but before you go, there was something I wanted to ask you. I need your assistance with something, if you don't mind."

6. - Top - End - #36

"Of course, Professor. What do you need my help with?"

7. - Top - End - #37

The professor nods. "I am doing some research into the ways that different types of Pokemon experience evolution. I would like to lend you a Pokemon and have you train it for me for a little while. Once the Pokemon evolves, please bring it back to me so I can see its growth."

8. - Top - End - #38

"Sure thing. I'll take good care of it in the meantome, I promise."

9. - Top - End - #39

Professor Elm nods. "Then, you can choose any of these three Pokemon."

He sends out a few Pokemon. One of them appears to be a small chinchilla with closed eyes and a dark patch on its back. "This is the Fire-Type Pokemon, Cyndaquil."

The next one appears to be a bipedal crocodile with blue skin and large jaws. "The Water-Type Pokemon, Totodile."

The last one appears to be a small dinosaur with a leaf growing from its head. "The Grass-Type Pokemon, Chikorita."

10. - Top - End - #40

"Ooh, they're all so cute!" She spends several minutes mulling over her decision, until she makes her choice. Mica being a Rock/Ground type leaves him especially weak to both Water and Grass, so bringing along Totodile or Chikorita might end up causing fights between them. So that leaves...

"I'll go with Cyndaquil."

11. - Top - End - #41

Professor Elm chuckles and hands her the PokeBall. "That's a nice choice. Why don't you go ahead and give it a nickname?"

12. - Top - End - #42

She nods and picks up the Cyndaquil, giving it a hug. "I think I'll call you... Corona."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wisdom check: (1d20-1)[8]

13. - Top - End - #43

The professor nods with a smile. "Very well, then. Please go ahead and take the Pokemon with you. You can use some of the areas around here to start train - ...hm?"

"Ringringring Ringringring, Phone Call! Phone Call! Ringringring Ringringring, Phone Call! Phone Call!"

Elm sits back at his computer and picks up a handset. "This is Professor Elm."

He listens for a moment. "...I see. I'm quite busy...Are you serious? That does sound like an important discovery, but..."

His eyes turn to Holly. "No, I'll make it work. I'm sending a courier to the house to pick it up. She's...uh...she's definitely not from around here, so don't be too surprised when she shows up."

14. - Top - End - #44

Holly waits patiently as Professor Elm talks with whoever is on the other end of the call. It sounds like he's about to request something else from her, too. Not even 5 minutes as an official Trainer and she's already being trusted with important work!

15. - Top - End - #45

Professor Elm looks up at her. "Holly, I hate to ask this, but I have an acquaintance in the next town over. His name is Mr. Pokemon. He's always finding weird things and raving about his discoveries. But this time, he's assured me that the Pokemon Egg he discovered has markings on it that are not coming up in the PokeDex, in other words...it could be an entirely new species of Pokemon. If that is the case, we need to bring this Egg into the lab for analysis. Can I ask you to go and pick it up, then bring it back to me?"

He nods. "Here is my PokeGear number. Call me if something happens."

She can't even respond before he's sent the information to her. She's...she's got her dad's number, obviously, but she's never spoken to a man on the phone before...

16. - Top - End - #46

"Yeah, sure. I'd be happy to do that for you, Professor Elm!" Getting his number sends a faint blush creeping up her cheeks; even though she knows this is purely for business, she can't help feeling a little giddy over getting a boy's phone number.

17. - Top - End - #47

Professor Elm nods. "Great. Here are a few supplies for your errand."

He hands her a bottle, which she recognizes to be a Potion, and a flashlight to allow her to travel after dark.

18. - Top - End - #48

"Thanks, Professor. I'll be back as soon as I can." She waves goodbye and heads out with Mica and Corona!

19. - Top - End - #49

As she heads out, Holly notices a strange boy with red hair standing in an alley near the lab. He seems to be looking in a window and muttering to himself.

20. - Top - End - #50

Seeing the boy has Holly curious. She walks up the alley towards him. "Hi. Do you need help with something?"

21. - Top - End - #51

"So this is the famous Pokemon Lab..." the boy mutters.

When Holly approaches him, he looks up with surprise. "Get out of here!" he says angrily, and shoves her. Holly falls onto her rear. That...that was the first time anyone has ever been physically violent with her. This boy is dangerous! ...Why does that make her feel so weird?

22. - Top - End - #52

Holly stares at the kid for a moment before getting up and leaving. Better to not provoke him any further...

Before heading out of town, though, she stops back at the lab to let the Professor know about the suspicious boy skulking around outside. Maybe he's not up to something sinister, but it can't hurt to be cautious, right?

23. - Top - End - #53

The Professor raises an eyebrow and glances out the window. "Alright...I'll do something about him. Are you okay?" he asks, touching her cheek to see if she's bruised.

24. - Top - End - #54

"Yeah, just a little dirty. I helped keep Tauros in line back at the farm outside Olivine, it'll take more than a guy pushing me to the ground to do any real damage."

25. - Top - End - #55

Elm nods. "Oh. Well, it's good that you're confident but...a little bit of advice: when a man is trying to help a woman, a woman should let him. The man likes that."

He gives her a gentle smile. Holly suddenly realizes that maybe it wasn't the best idea to act as tough as she really is...

Elm gets back to work and Holly leaves the town for now.

26. - Top - End - #56

Holly nods and heads out for Cherrygrove City. She lets Mica and Corona out of their PokeBalls so they can meet each other.

27. - Top - End - #57

The Onix and Cyndaquil sniff at each other a bit and Corona happily purrs at the rock snake before the two of them start speaking.

As she starts to walk, however, Holly spies a creature approaching her.

"Rat?"

The Pokemon appears to be a purple rat of some kind, with big whiskers and sharp teeth.

28. - Top - End - #58

Holly smiles at the small rat. "Hello, little guy."

29. - Top - End - #59

"Rat!"

The Pokemon snarls and tries to snap at her.

Jasmine had mentioned this. Many wild Pokemon can be territorial.

30. - Top - End - #60

Holly jumps back. "We're leaving, we're leaving. Just take it easy, okay?" She turns and starts heading back toward Cherrygrove.